PDA

View Full Version : XP or VISTA ????

namvet
05-19-2008, 11:59 AM
so whats been your experience with these OS systems???? I have XP. and love it. so who's got Vista???? which do you like best???? problems???
XP is supposed to go off the sales shelves next month. but there is a growing support from many users to keep it around. including a petition to MS.

save XP (save XP)

MS responds (MS responds)

Yurt
05-19-2008, 12:38 PM
XP is great, SP2 that it is. i used vista at work and a major problem with vista is the drivers -- there is a lot of hardware out there that does not support drivers, for example we had a industrial panasonic copier/printer that was maybe 9 years old and panasonic had no drivers to support vista, so my computer (the newest one) could not print to the machine.

other than that, vista is ok, they changed a bunch of stuff around simply to make it "seem" different IMO. if you want to switch, make sure to check compatibility not only with your computer hardware/software but any other machines...

Gadget (fmr Marine)
05-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Vista is OK....I have it on my personal laptop....so I am not taxing any resources by surfing or looking at smut.....

I prefer XP, though...just seems a bit more stable, and as mentioned, more driver support....although I am sure that will change.

namvet
05-19-2008, 02:07 PM
XP is great, SP2 that it is. i used vista at work and a major problem with vista is the drivers -- there is a lot of hardware out there that does not support drivers, for example we had a industrial panasonic copier/printer that was maybe 9 years old and panasonic had no drivers to support vista, so my computer (the newest one) could not print to the machine.

other than that, vista is ok, they changed a bunch of stuff around simply to make it "seem" different IMO. if you want to switch, make sure to check compatibility not only with your computer hardware/software but any other machines...

BTY if you have MS updates installed they released XP SP3 today. I installed it and it works fine..............

namvet
05-19-2008, 02:10 PM
Vista is OK....I have it on my personal laptop....so I am not taxing any resources by surfing or looking at smut.....

I prefer XP, though...just seems a bit more stable, and as mentioned, more driver support....although I am sure that will change.

same here. but I have heard a lot of complaints about Vista. maybe that's why the petition to keep XP huh ??????

remie
05-19-2008, 02:14 PM
same here. but I have heard a lot of complaints about Vista. maybe that's why the petition to keep XP huh ??????

Ive got XP on my office PC and vista on a tablet I take into the field. So far I am not a fan of Vista but then I wasnt crazy about XP when I first got. My biggest beef is when I put my tablet on our office network (all XP) there are all kinds of confilicts.

Yurt
05-19-2008, 03:06 PM
BTY if you have MS updates installed they released XP SP3 today. I installed it and it works fine..............

no way, i do and it has not updated, i think i might have an evening update, thanks for the heads up

KitchenKitten99
05-19-2008, 03:24 PM
I like Vista, although I don't have it myself. My husband does on his laptop, and so far I have liked the interface and features it has. I bought my new laptop just before Dell converted all their machines' software to Vista last year, so I got one of the last machines with XP Small Business, but I got the Vista upgrade disc for free, if I wanted to upgrade it myself.

Problem is, I don't have an incentive to do it, because all the software that I use, doesn't work well with Vista, or I have to make too many changes to settings to even use the programs, and one, won't work at all. So for now, I have XP and will not upgrade until I buy a new laptop, and that won't be for at least 2 years. I sold my free upgrade disc on eBay for $100.

DH's computer was custom-ordered through Dell for gaming. Unfortunately, because of the features he wanted and the performance, he had to get Vista. There were a few conflicts with a few of his games, but he was able to have one of the Dell techs remote access it and show him a few shortcuts and things he needed to do to run the games. Now everything automatically sets itself to the correct settings when he puts the game disc in. From what I have read by serious PC gamers, Vista is actually a better platform for gaming and graphics-intensive software.

In the end, I believe Vista will go the same way as XP. Remember poor reception, and all the whining and griping about XP, and system issues when it first came out? Well, they were worked out and now XP is the standard. I believe much will be the same for Vista. Only time will tell.

namvet
05-19-2008, 04:31 PM
so for most of you with Vista, comparability is the issue here??? Ive had XP now for over 4 years and ive had no complaints from the get go. very stable OS for me. but. XP was already up and running before I bought it so any issues were probably fixed before I chimed in. hopefully MS will do the same with Vista. in time. or else....................:cool:

Pale Rider
05-20-2008, 11:55 AM

I saw this and decided I wouldn't download it. It said I had to backup every single file I have on my computer before downloading. Well hell... I've got a ton of shit on this computer. That would take up I don't know how many discs to do. Did you make back ups of everything ?

namvet
05-20-2008, 02:15 PM
I saw this and decided I wouldn't download it. It said I had to backup every single file I have on my computer before downloading. Well hell... I've got a ton of shit on this computer. That would take up I don't know how many discs to do. Did you make back ups of everything ?

I already had B/U disc. but I don't why its says that. it did not affect anything. its designed really to make windows run smoother and some more security.

KitchenKitten99
05-20-2008, 02:26 PM
Get an external hard drive and back up all your files that way. It works like a jump drive, but with a larger capacity. You don't need discs. It takes very little time and you can essentially just select all your documents, click "copy" and select the new hard drive location, and you're done. The speed to copy all of the files depends on the volume and complexity of files. Mine took about 15 minutes total.

I bought a 500gb MyBook Essential edition by Western Digital, because I researched all the reviews from users from different sources like cnet.com, bestbuy.com, circuitcity.com, officemax.com, etc, and MyBook & Seagate were tied for ratings. Right now, Circuit City has one available for $109.99.

I have started putting our DVD's in the thing. I have so far 20 movies in it, and I am only down to 465gb, including my other files, like music and photos and misc documents.

namvet
05-20-2008, 02:53 PM
I use CDRW's they're dirt cheap and re writable.

KitchenKitten99
05-20-2008, 03:24 PM

maybe so, but it then creates discs that are limited in capacity to save (needing multiple discs for many files or large, complex ones) with possiblity of getting scratched or damaged, lost/misplaced. If the disc gets damaged, the ability to get the data off it will be hard, if not impossible. If my EHD fails for some reason, the data can still be retrieved.

I just don't like having multiple discs laying around, and I have to search each disc in order to find the file I want. I prefer just accessing the file as if it on my system already.

Really it is up to you, but most techs will tell you to back up in an EHD or even an off-site data company, rather than discs, which are becoming obsolete.

namvet
05-20-2008, 03:43 PM
maybe so, but it then creates discs that are limited in capacity to save (needing multiple discs for many files or large, complex ones) with possiblity of getting scratched or damaged, lost/misplaced. If the disc gets damaged, the ability to get the data off it will be hard, if not impossible. If my EHD fails for some reason, the data can still be retrieved.

I just don't like having multiple discs laying around, and I have to search each disc in order to find the file I want. I prefer just accessing the file as if it on my system already.

Really it is up to you, but most techs will tell you to back up in an EHD or even an off-site data company, rather than discs, which are becoming obsolete.

but im a home user not a tech. ive been using CD's for years. I keep mine in the jewl box's they came with. they still look like new. good point on capacity. but you can buy double layer CD's with up to 8.5 GB. HP has software for OS back up. I backed up my entire OS system on one. but its personel pref.

Pale Rider
05-21-2008, 12:27 PM
I already had B/U disc. but I don't why its says that. it did not affect anything. its designed really to make windows run smoother and some more security.
I have system restore discs. I think what it was telling me to do was back stuff like my pictures, video and PDF files. That kind of stuff. But if it doesn't effect it, I think I'll download SP3 today.

Get an external hard drive and back up all your files that way. It works like a jump drive, but with a larger capacity. You don't need discs. It takes very little time and you can essentially just select all your documents, click "copy" and select the new hard drive location, and you're done. The speed to copy all of the files depends on the volume and complexity of files. Mine took about 15 minutes total.

I bought a 500gb MyBook Essential edition by Western Digital, because I researched all the reviews from users from different sources like cnet.com, bestbuy.com, circuitcity.com, officemax.com, etc, and MyBook & Seagate were tied for ratings. Right now, Circuit City has one available for $109.99.

I have started putting our DVD's in the thing. I have so far 20 movies in it, and I am only down to 465gb, including my other files, like music and photos and misc documents.
Good suggestion Fuzzy, but heck, I'm not going to go out and drop $110 just so I can download SP3. My computer runs fine without it.

I've got half a dozen CD-RW's I could use to BU my pictures and stuff. I might do that.

but im a home user not a tech. ive been using CD's for years. I keep mine in the jewl box's they came with. they still look like new. good point on capacity. but you can buy double layer CD's with up to 8.5 GB. HP has software for OS back up. I backed up my entire OS system on one. but its personel pref.
Me too. Home user. No one touches my computer but me. It's two years old and runs like a freight train.

namvet
05-21-2008, 12:57 PM
I have system restore discs. I think what it was telling me to do was back stuff like my pictures, video and PDF files. That kind of stuff. But if it doesn't effect it, I think I'll download SP3 today.

Good suggestion Fuzzy, but heck, I'm not going to go out and drop $110 just so I can download SP3. My computer runs fine without it.

I've got half a dozen CD-RW's I could use to BU my pictures and stuff. I might do that.

Me too. Home user. No one touches my computer but me. It's two years old and runs like a freight train.

let me know how it turns out...............

Pale Rider
05-21-2008, 08:52 PM
let me know how it turns out...............

Downloaded SP3, and it totally screwed up my computer. It wouldn't boot Windows. When it restarted after the download, it just kept popping back to the safe start screen. So I started it in Safe Mode and used system restore to restore it to yesterday. Screw SP3.

Sitarro
05-21-2008, 08:59 PM
I'm running OSX Tiger, never had a crash, never a virus, never anything but smooth computing. I don't have a firewall or virus protection and have downloaded thousands of songs and movies without a hiccup. Get a MAC and you will NEVER go back....... hehe:laugh2::poke::salute:

actsnoblemartin
05-22-2008, 12:28 AM
Vista is just plain awful, avoid it at all costs

so whats been your experience with these OS systems???? I have XP. and love it. so who's got Vista???? which do you like best???? problems???
XP is supposed to go off the sales shelves next month. but there is a growing support from many users to keep it around. including a petition to MS.

save XP (save XP)

MS responds (MS responds)

namvet
05-22-2008, 07:57 AM
Downloaded SP3, and it totally screwed up my computer. It wouldn't boot Windows. When it restarted after the download, it just kept popping back to the safe start screen. So I started it in Safe Mode and used system restore to restore it to yesterday. Screw SP3.

what brand of PC/OS do you have ???? your the only one I know that had problems............

Pale Rider
05-22-2008, 01:15 PM
what brand of PC/OS do you have ???? your the only one I know that had problems............

I have an H.P. Pavilion a1610n PC with an AMD Athlon 3.4G processor. It's only two years old and runs perfect, fast. I shouldn't have even bothered. And obviously I have Windows XP for an O.S., or we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I shut down my Norton anti-virus and my Webroot adware/spyware programs so nothing was running. I have Charter high speed cable, and there wasn't any interruptions during the download process. So, since my computer runs as perfect as it does, I'm just not going to bother with it again. I have SP2, so I'll just keep checking for high priority updates and let that be it.

namvet
05-22-2008, 01:45 PM
I have an H.P. Pavilion a1610n PC with an AMD Athlon 3.4G processor. It's only two years old and runs perfect, fast. I shouldn't have even bothered. And obviously I have Windows XP for an O.S., or we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I shut down my Norton anti-virus and my Webroot adware/spyware programs so nothing was running. I have Charter high speed cable, and there wasn't any interruptions during the download process. So, since my computer runs as perfect as it does, I'm just not going to bother with it again. I have SP2, so I'll just keep checking for high priority updates and let that be it.

ever hear that saying 'I got it you take it???" I have an HP to. but you have the Athlon and I have the intell. read this:

The recent Windows XP Service Pack 3 update has left certain AMD-based PCs manufactured by Hewlett-Packard caught in an endless reboot cycle caused by an Intel-specific disk image mistakenly being used with AMD hardware
story (story)

the fix (the fix)

well somebody fumbled the ball

Pale Rider
05-22-2008, 03:36 PM
ever hear that saying 'I got it you take it???" I have an HP to. but you have the Athlon and I have the intell. read this:

story (story)

the fix (the fix)

well somebody fumbled the ball

Outstanding namvet! And just like that I've got SP3 installed and everything is running great.

THANK YOU!

namvet
05-22-2008, 03:39 PM
Outstanding namvet! And just like that I've got SP3 installed and everything is running great.

THANK YOU!

:beer::beer:

Roomy
05-23-2008, 02:59 AM
I have vista ultimate on my laptop and it works fine, no problems, as for it being better or worse than xp, I don't know, my needs are simple and they both fulfill them:laugh2: