PDA

View Full Version : Spain to run America's 1st superhighway?

dread
05-20-2008, 09:34 AM
Stretching through the rural countryside with limited access and no speed limit in 1940, the Pennsylvania Turnpike was built to resemble Germany's autobahn. Now thanks to a $12.8 billion dollar offer, it may soon become Spain's.

According to a report in the Philadelphia Daily News, Gov. Ed Rendell has announced that Abertis Infraestructuras of Barcelona has offered the top dollar bid to the state of Pennsylvania for the rights to manage the toll road under a 75-year lease.

The highway could become just the latest in a string of U.S. infrastructure landmarks to be operated by foreign companies.

"The USA is up for sale," an attendee of a conference in Colorado to discuss PPPs told WND. "Whatever the public now owns – roads, ports, waste management water systems, rail lines, public parking facilities, airports, even lotteries and sports stadiums – are up for grabs and the only requirement is that the foreigners have the cash."

http://worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=64783

Why would foreigners want to give Americans cash if there WASNT a profit in it. This is pretty scary news. Foreigners getting to decide our fate economically AND get to decide our fate and our safety.

Yurt
05-20-2008, 10:27 AM
Wtf?

Pale Rider
05-20-2008, 10:51 AM
*shaking head in disbelief*...... wtf is this country coming to?

hjmick
05-20-2008, 10:56 AM
You people are surprised? After the government essentially sold some of our ports to a company from Dubai you're worried about a Spanish company managing a toll road? This is the least of our worries.

Pale Rider
05-20-2008, 11:05 AM
You people are surprised? After the government essentially sold some of our ports to a company from Dubai you're worried about a Spanish company managing a toll road? This is the least of our worries.

Ever heard of the straw that broke the camels back? This may not be THAT straw, but it certainly is on the camels back.

You don't give a shit about that? The wholesale, piece meal sell off of America to foreigners?

hjmick
05-20-2008, 11:16 AM
Ever heard of the straw that broke the camels back? This may not be THAT straw, but it certainly is on the camels back.

You don't give a shit about that? The wholesale, piece meal sell off of America to foreigners?

I absolutely care. But I am more concerned that an Arab country is controlling several of our major ports than I am about some company from Spain managing a Pennsylvania toll road. I can avoid driving on a toll road, thus depriving the company of my money. I can not, however, avoid purchasing goods that find their way on to the shelves of my local stores by way of a major sea port. The sell off of this country has been happening for decades, and it is getting worse. The only way that I can see to stop it is to elect representatives who will work to put an end to the practice. Sadly, we always seem to elect the same buffoons rather than people who will do the things necessary to preserve the country.

05-20-2008, 11:19 AM
i miss the no speed limits. that would be nice...

Pale Rider
05-20-2008, 11:27 AM
I absolutely care. But I am more concerned that an Arab country is controlling several of our major ports than I am about some company from Spain managing a Pennsylvania toll road. I can avoid driving on a toll road, thus depriving the company of my money. I can not, however, avoid purchasing goods that find their way on to the shelves of my local stores by way of a major sea port. The sell off of this country has been happening for decades, and it is getting worse. The only way that I can see to stop it is to elect representatives who will work to put an end to the practice. Sadly, we always seem to elect the same buffoons rather than people who will do the things necessary to preserve the country.

Well it's comforting to know you at least care.

And I'll tell ya what, don't include "me" in that statement when you say "we" always elect the same buffoons. I'm not voting dem or repub this election. I'm disgusted to tears at the shyster choices that "they" voted into the nominations, like the RINO mcamnesty. Made me drop completely out of the republican party.

Fuck these people. I'm so disgusted with the whole of Washington I could PUKE!

hjmick
05-20-2008, 11:38 AM
Well it's comforting to know you at least care.

And I'll tell ya what, don't include "me" in that statement when you say "we" always elect the same buffoons. I'm not voting dem or repub this election. I'm disgusted to tears at the shyster choices that "they" voted into the nominations, like the RINO mcamnesty. Made me drop completely out of the republican party.

Fuck these people. I'm so disgusted with the whole of Washington I could PUKE!

My hope is that the people of Pennsylvania will rise up and tell their legislators no, quashing the plan in the same fashion as the Dubai ports deal. It was public outgry that put an end to that deal and it is the same thing that will slam the door on Rendell's plan to sell out America.

I'm with you on the election. I too have decided to vote third party. Of course, here in California it will make no difference. We all know where this state's electoral votes will go. At best I will be among a few efforting to send a message.

manu1959
05-20-2008, 11:38 AM
ahhhhhhhhhhh the advantages of a weak dollar..........

Yurt
05-20-2008, 12:22 PM
ahhhhhhhhhhh the advantages of a weak dollar..........

si

so will the road have kilometers instead of miles?

Abbey Marie
05-20-2008, 02:46 PM
We are literally giving our country away. Rendell isn't to be trusted, either.

namvet
05-20-2008, 03:00 PM
the post has a question mark. and I don't alway buy what world net daily post. I ran the subject thru a search engine and world net is the only one posting this. so far.

midcan5
05-20-2008, 03:40 PM
Whoa, am i missing something here? Isn't the free market your little god in the pantheon of gods? Falls behind no taxes, but consider how well these two items go together. The infrastructure is collapsing due to money wasted on war, oh, yea, another of your gods, so now the Spanish take care of the infrastructure. No taxes and the free market demonstrates once again you get what you bargain for, you all should be cheering. LOL

hjmick
05-20-2008, 03:42 PM
the post has a question mark. and I don't alway buy what world net daily post. I ran the subject thru a search engine and world net is the only one posting this. so far.

As the article states, it's not a done deal...yet. I do find it somewhat surprising that WND is the only site reporting on the prospect. I would think that more than one Pennsylvania newspaper would have picked it up.

Edit: Bloomberg is running a story on this, as are a couple of other financial sites.

Dilloduck
05-20-2008, 04:23 PM
Belgium has the contract on toll roads around Austin and I think Germany got the bids further north in Texas. Lots of traffic--good road to have !

namvet
05-20-2008, 05:44 PM
wonder when Bin laden's gonna put in his bid??????

dread
05-20-2008, 09:38 PM

This is Spain we are talking about here. They are the ones that got bombed and ran away with their tail tucked between their legs. To think they would be any different with American interests is naive.

Just because something doesnt DIRECTLY affect you dont think it wont come back and get you in some form or fashion.