PDA

View Full Version : Major flooding

jimnyc
03-02-2007, 09:04 AM
Westchester County, NY is being hit with tons of rain, thus causing major flooding. Of course none worse than our house. :(

Our backyard is under about a foot of water, and the side of the house is up to about 2 feet. Our basement is under about 4 feet of water and completely ruined. Sure am glad I got stuff out of storage recently and placed it all in the basement just in time to see it float away!

Washer and dryer - gone. Hot water heater - gone. Brand new HVAC unit installed a few months back - gone. My personal tables, chairs, end tables and about 50% of my clothing - gone, floating in murky waters right now. 2nd refrigerator was literally floating until it toppled over about an hour ago - gone. All my personal effects except for my computer are now under water or floating.

At least my computer and internet connection is fine up here on the 2nd floor! :laugh2:

Might have to call Con-Ed as not sure what to do about electricity and gas. Hot water heater is likely gone as said, and definitely is out right now. Water is about a foot OVER the electrical outlets, and I'll be damned if I'm stepping in that water to get to the circuit breakers.

My life sucks the ass of 10 year old dead pigeons. :(

darin
03-02-2007, 09:16 AM
WOW Jim. :-/

What's Con-Ed?

jimnyc
03-02-2007, 09:30 AM
WOW Jim. :-/

What's Con-Ed?

Con-Edison, New York's electrical company. If necessary, they can turn the power off to the entire home from out in the street.

glockmail
03-02-2007, 11:48 AM
[QUOTE=jimnyc;22888]Westchester County, NY is being hit with tons of rain, thus causing major flooding. Of course none worse than our house. :(...[QUOTE]

That SUCKS, man. I hope you have good insurance. It's always questionable payout for flood damage.

Unless you can blame it on Bush.....

CSM
03-02-2007, 12:26 PM
Dang, sorry to hear that. It is raining like a bastard here in NE Mass right now; afraid to go home and see how my house has faired (in southern NH). I am hoping it is all snow there though it is only 30 miles away. The rain-snow line usually runs just south of my hous by about 5 miles, so I am hoping it is all snow at may place!

jimnyc
03-02-2007, 01:02 PM
I had my wife and son vacate earlier and they went to a hotel. The rain stopped but the water remains at the same level. With out cheesy pump using a hose running to the street, it would probably take like 5 days to fully drain! We might have to call the city management or the fire department to have them bring in an industrial sized pump.

Worst of all, and don't ask because I'm too *&^%ing pissed to talk about it, we are not covered for insurance in this case. Don't know the particulars, but she's the business woman, and she said we are not covered. I am now EVER so glad I took my stuff out of storage. :(

Abbey Marie
03-02-2007, 01:21 PM
I'm sorry, Jim. You deserve a lucky streak for the next 7 years.

On one bright note, putting your family in a hotel and dealing with the damage yourself, is definitely manning-up. We women love that. :salute:

jackass
03-02-2007, 08:23 PM
Sorry Jimbo. Hey do you still have that Bowflex you used twice in your basement? I will buy it from you for 10 bucks!! :laugh2:

Gaffer
03-02-2007, 09:26 PM
That sucks Jim. Sorry to hear that. Get ready for the wind next that's what we hae had here today. really hard blowing and cold.

Yurt
03-02-2007, 10:46 PM
Hang in there. You are a survivor, there is no doubt. You have taken charge of your family and made them safe. You will pull through.

About the insurance, do you mean that you have none or they don't cover this?

jimnyc
03-03-2007, 04:24 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone! :)

Went to the hotel last night and had dinner with my wife and son, then came back here for the night to make sure my doggies would be ok. Spent most of the night clearing out the damaged goods from the basement and lining it up along my driveway for removal. My neighbor had the same issue, but only slight water into their basement, but both of our yards were connected by the river that resulted. They called a friend that came over late last night with a monster pump. Luckily it cleared almost all of it from the outside and my inner pumps took care of the rest. Now my basement looks like the streets of NO after Katrina, muddy and murky looking. Still extremely wet on the floor but at least I can work properly now. The fun part will be getting rid of the old fridge, washer & dryer. Maybe if we get new appliances they will dispose of the old stuff for us, who knows.

Tried lighting the hot water heater to no avail. It sparks when I try to ignite but obviously is too wet to light the pilot. I'd put a fan or space heater near it, but I'll be damned if I'm plugging anything into those outlets down there! :)

So the flood is over, now the cleanup and expenses remain.

jimnyc
03-03-2007, 04:26 AM
Sorry Jimbo. Hey do you still have that Bowflex you used twice in your basement? I will buy it from you for 10 bucks!! :laugh2:

Not sure I even used it twice! You're beat though, since I was using it only as a coat hanger, I sold it before I moved out of my apartment in White Plains last year! Besides, what were you going to use it for, propping yourself up when you were too drunk to even sit? :finger3:

KarlMarx
03-03-2007, 08:04 AM
Water problems.... geez... sorry Jim..

I had problems with water in my basement up until last year. I had a contractor install a drainage ditch under the floor that drains into a sump well. The water just gets pumped out to the woods next door to my house (I live on a hill).

Last June, we had the worst floods in living memory. I think that the pump already paid for itself because my basement remained reasonably dry (I did get a small puddle in my workshop, but I had it dried up in 10 minutes with a Shop Vac)

I don't know if that helps you any in this situation, but it may be worth looking into.

Joan
03-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Call Con Ed before you electrocute my puppies!!!