PDA

View Full Version : Negotiating Isn't Appeasement

midcan5
05-20-2008, 11:39 AM
Negotiating Isn't Appeasement by J. Peter Scoblic

Bush, McCain and other conservatives are on the wrong side of history when they dismiss Obama's foreign policy.

"In a speech to the Israeli parliament Thursday, President Bush took a swipe at Barack Obama for his willingness to negotiate with evil regimes.

"Some seem to believe that we should negotiate with the terrorists and radicals, as if some ingenious argument will persuade them they have been wrong all along," Bush said. "We have heard this foolish delusion before. As Nazi tanks crossed into Poland in 1939, an American senator declared: 'Lord, if I could only have talked to Hitler, all this might have been avoided.' We have an obligation to call this what it is--the false comfort of appeasement, which has been repeatedly discredited by history."

But if there is anything that has been discredited by history, it is the argument that every enemy is Hitler, that negotiations constitute appeasement, and that talking will automatically lead to a slaughter of Holocaust-like proportions. It is an argument that conservatives made throughout the Cold War, and, if the charge seemed overblown at the time, it seems positively ludicrous with the clarity of hindsight.

The modern conservative movement was founded in no small part on the idea that presidents Truman and Eisenhower were "appeasing" the Soviets..."

http://www.tnr.com/politics/story.html?id=ad9a12bd-5779-45c9-8976-de11bfe22440

manu1959
05-20-2008, 11:41 AM
don't worry obama has stated categorically that he will not negotiate with Hamas....

but will negotiate with iran, syria and nk.....don't see the need really they aren't a threat to the us....

Psychoblues
05-21-2008, 12:45 AM
Just where, m'59, did he say he would give anything to anybody? Refusing to talk is a sign of weakness. Lord knows I understand that!!!!!!! How many times has this board decided that my words were not worth listening to and subsequently cut me off from additional comment or explanation?

No sweat, '59. I'm a big ol' boy and I really do understand the weakness.