PDA

View Full Version : Ted Kennedy Has Malignant Brain Tumor

red states rule
05-20-2008, 12:22 PM
Fox News is reporting this sad story. I do hope he beats this

manu1959
05-20-2008, 12:23 PM

on the radio right now.......god speed.....

red states rule
05-20-2008, 12:24 PM
on the radio right now.......god speed.....

Ditto

Even though I do not agree with anything this man has said or done - I do wish him only the best

He will be in my prayers

hjmick
05-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Damn. I certainly hope he can beat this. Though he does have a tough row to hoe.

red states rule
05-20-2008, 12:32 PM
From Fox News

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,356745,00.html

05-20-2008, 12:37 PM
okay... not my dad has really creeped me out. He said probably within five years and they said the tumor usually takes 1-5 years.

i hope Ted gets to take care of whats important in this world before that happens.

Pale Rider
05-20-2008, 12:39 PM
He's a goner.

red states rule
05-20-2008, 12:43 PM
He's a goner.

He is in a good hospital, getting the best care possible - so it is in Gods hands right now

Pale Rider
05-20-2008, 12:56 PM
He is in a good hospital, getting the best care possible - so it is in Gods hands right now

My Uncle Keith had a brain tumor, only lasted a couple weeks. Same with my sisters old boyfriend and original Buckingham, George Legro. He pasted out driving, they found a brain tumor, and he was gone in just a few weeks.

I don't wish death on kennedy, but I can't say I'm going to miss him either. May God have mercy on his soul.

red states rule
05-20-2008, 12:59 PM
My Uncle Keith had a brain tumor, only lasted a couple weeks. Same with my sisters old boyfriend and original Buckingham, George Legro. He pasted out driving, they found a brain tumor, and he was gone in just a few weeks.

I don't wish death on kennedy, but I can't say I'm going to miss him either. May God have mercy on his soul.

Unlike some around here Pale, you and I would never wish death on someone based on political differences. We would never sink that low

Unlike how others reacted when JErry Falwell or Charlton Heston passed away

My deepest sympathy on your losses Plae

Pale Rider
05-20-2008, 01:26 PM
Unlike some around here Pale, you and I would never wish death on someone based on political differences. We would never sink that low

Unlike how others reacted when JErry Falwell or Charlton Heston passed away

My deepest sympathy on your losses Plae

I thank you for your condolences brother, but those folks pasted some time ago. Fortunately our family hasn't lost anyone as of late.

I don't fear death myself. I've made my peace with the Lord and firmly believe I'll go to heaven, which I look forward to doing. There's a lot of people up there that I'll be wanting to see again.

Gadget (fmr Marine)
05-20-2008, 01:29 PM

The Kennedy family has certainly been a part of US history, and thier contributions are well documented. The passing of Ted Kennedy will be the end of thier generation of participation and actively trying to shape the course of US course in the global community.

I don't agree with his politics, but his contributions are undeniable....I will raise a glass to toast his memory when he passes. (I just hope he doesn't suffer unnecessarily)

AllieBaba
05-20-2008, 01:33 PM
My experience of people diagnosed with brain cancer is they have about 2 months.
Maybe a malignant brain tumor isn't the same thing?

NightTrain
05-20-2008, 01:42 PM
My Dad had lung cancer, beat it, but then it was discovered that it had spread to his brain.

There's not much they can do with that and the Mayo Clinic doctors gave him a 2% chance of beating it. One nurse even told my old man not to bother with his struggle to give up smoking, which pissed me off to no end and I could have throttled her on the spot.

Once it was in the brain, he was gone less than 2 months later.

While I hate Ted Kennedy's politics, I don't wish cancer on anyone - it's an absolutely horrific ordeal all the way around.

KitchenKitten99
05-20-2008, 01:55 PM
I also don't wish death upon someone based on political differences. That is just beyond low, past paramecium-level thinking. However I do say this... you reap what you sow.

It isn't like anyone in his family involved in politics in the last 45 years, has died of natural causes/old age. So I can't honestly say this comes as any real suprise. I may be wrong on this, though. Correct me if I am wrong.

Oh, and brain tumors are beatable. I personally know someone who has beat it, with surgery to remove it and chemo/radiation treatments. So there is hope, but it depends on if the cancer has spread past just the tumor.

namvet
05-20-2008, 01:55 PM
"The usual course of treatment includes combinations of various forms of radiation and chemotherapy," they said. "Decisions regarding the best course of treatment for Sen. Kennedy will be determined after further testing and analysis."

so I guess at this time surgery is not an option. ya know im younger than him but have imaging done every other year. as a precaution. you would think with the medical he has available he would test more often. just saying

namvet
05-20-2008, 02:24 PM
"Preliminary results from a biopsy of the brain identified the cause of the seizure as a malignant glioma in the left parietal lobe,"

http://www.neuroskills.com/images/parietal.jpg

source (source)

Abbey Marie
05-20-2008, 02:44 PM
God bless you, Ted. I hope for both you and your family that you don't suffer.

mundame
05-20-2008, 07:55 PM

Well, that's the thing. I knew a teacher, she was diagnosed with a brain tumor and died eight days later. I don't want to be pessimistic, but a newly discovered brain tumor in a 76-year-old man like Ted Kennedy is possibly Nature's way of hinting, "Say good-night."

red states rule
05-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Well, that's the thing. I knew a teacher, she was diagnosed with a brain tumor and died eight days later. I don't want to be pessimistic, but a newly discovered brain tumor in a 76-year-old man like Ted Kennedy is possibly Nature's way of hinting, "Say good-night."

My deepest sympathy on your loss Mundame

If is is as bad as sime think, I do hope it happens quick for Ted, and there is no pain

God bless his soul

Kathianne
05-20-2008, 08:12 PM
My Dad had lung cancer, beat it, but then it was discovered that it had spread to his brain.

There's not much they can do with that and the Mayo Clinic doctors gave him a 2% chance of beating it. One nurse even told my old man not to bother with his struggle to give up smoking, which pissed me off to no end and I could have throttled her on the spot.

Once it was in the brain, he was gone less than 2 months later.

While I hate Ted Kennedy's politics, I don't wish cancer on anyone - it's an absolutely horrific ordeal all the way around.

I agree with the sentiments you posted Rick. Bottom line, I don't like his politics, never have. I don't think he is the brightest light or a ray of sunshine on Irish American intelligence. I think he may have lots to answer for when he meets his Maker, but I never for a nanosecond wished him a stroke. If that was what it was, wished the damage minimal. When heard it was a seizure, wished it was a result of something like diabetes, while bad for someone young, he wasn't. Now, I say a couple prayers, for him and his family.

red states rule
05-20-2008, 08:14 PM
I agree with the sentiments you posted Rick. Bottom line, I don't like his politics, never have. I don't think he is the brightest light or a ray of sunshine on Irish American intelligence. I think he may have lots to answer for when he meets his Maker, but I never for a nanosecond wished him a stroke. If that was what it was, wished the damage minimal. When heard it was a seizure, wished it was a result of something like diabetes, while bad for someone young, he wasn't. Now, I say a couple prayers, for him and his family.

:clap::clap::clap:

Could not agree with you more Kathianne

I wisg Sen Kennedy all the best

Hagbard Celine
05-20-2008, 08:27 PM
The Kennedys are a true American family. I'd like to see Ted beat this thing.

Kathianne
05-20-2008, 08:28 PM
:clap::clap::clap:

Could not agree with you more Kathianne

I wisg Sen Kennedy all the best

Agreed. I pray for comfort for his family. Whatever else his failings, seems he did good as a surrogate parent to all his brothers's children.

red states rule
05-20-2008, 08:32 PM
Agreed. I pray for comfort for his family. Whatever else his failings, seems he did good as a surrogate parent to all his brothers's children.

Do not like him as a person, but that all take a back seat right now. I pray for him and his family.

Kathianne
05-20-2008, 08:32 PM
The Kennedys are a true American family. I'd like to see Ted beat this thing.

no. they are the archetypical Irish-Catholic family. Lots of problems, but draw together when really necessary. I know, I come from one. For any other failings, which there appears to be many, he seems to have more than stepped up to help his brothers children. Caroline seems very close to him, has spent many hours there in the past few days. Ted was there for her, documented for both her mom's illness and the horrible ordeal with her brother.

Silver
05-20-2008, 08:33 PM
I'll be charitable enough to say I hope he don't suffer any more than the young girl that he allowed to drown in Chappaquiddick...

Hagbard Celine
05-20-2008, 08:35 PM
no. they are the archetypical Irish-Catholic family. Lots of problems, but draw together when really necessary. I know, I come from one. For any other failings, which there appears to be many, he seems to have more than stepped up to help his brothers children. Caroline seems very close to him, has spent many hours there in the past few days. Ted was there for her, documented for both her mom's illness and the horrible ordeal with her brother.

Well, I'm glad we agree on this important issue. ;)

namvet
05-20-2008, 08:46 PM
a woman who processed my home refi died last year of a brain aneurysm. they told me she complained of a headache all day. when she left work she collapsed right outside of the front door. she was dead before she hit the ground. only 30 yrs old, a wife and mother. these of course are more deadly. and no warning in advance.

dread
05-20-2008, 09:18 PM
Here is the Mayo clinics info on Glioma:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/glioma/

My co-worker used to work at the Mayo clinic and said she saw patients who had what Mr. Kennedy has. She says the tumor attaches itself like a weed and if they surgically remove it, it just keeps coming back.

I think Pale is right...He is a goner.

Kathianne
05-20-2008, 09:19 PM
Well, I'm glad we agree on this important issue. ;)

In reality it's not an 'important issue', but this family has been under the lights for so long, we know all but when they take a dump. I feel sorry for the 'kids' though Caroline really is pretty close in age to me, within 2 years. I do relate in the sense of Irish Catholic and the family with foibles thing.

Mr. P
05-20-2008, 09:44 PM
He's a goner.

I hope so...in politics anyway...otherwise I wish him the very best. I've never known anyone to survive brain cancer. My Dad hung on 11 months.

82Marine89
05-20-2008, 11:14 PM
My grandfather died of a brain tumor. He was 51. I was 5. My last memory of him was the day the ambulance came to take him. He died that night. I do not wish this on anyone.

red states rule
05-21-2008, 06:02 AM
The liberal media never misses a chance to use a tragedy to attack Pres Bush

With Kennedy as Hook, Couric Rues Inadequate Cancer Spending
By Brent Baker | May 20, 2008 - 23:28 ET

CBS anchor Katie Couric used news, that Senator Ted Kennedy is suffering from a brain tumor, as the hook for a lengthy story in which she railed against reduced federal funding for cancer research, though her own numbers and official numbers contradict her premise of any significant reductions. Noting how “nearly one in two men, and more than one in three women, in this country will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime,” Couric regretted: “Yet since 2004 federal funding for research into the four most common kinds of cancer -- lung, colon, breast and prostate -- has been cut by more than $100 million.” In fact, National Cancer Institute numbers show a 4.4 percent overall budget increase since 2003, not enough to match inflation but hardly a huge cut, while spending on “brain & central nervous system” (Kennedy's plight) grew by 33 percent and spending on pancreatic cancer, which killed Couric's sister, rose 75 percent.

Relying on a March report published by seven research companies and universities interested in more grants, “Broken Pipeline? Flat Funding of the NIH Puts a Generation of Science at Risk,” Couric asserted that “experts worry this small, elite army” of cancer scientists “is leaving the field in droves because government funding, which once allowed cancer research to flourish, is now drying up.” Seconds later, however, Couric reported that “between 1998 and 2003, Congress doubled the National Institutes of Health budget, allowing research to thrive,” but “since 2004, funding has flat lined.” So it has “flat lined” at a level double where it stood ten years ago.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/brent-baker/2008/05/20/kennedy-hook-couric-rues-inadequate-cancer-spending

Little-Acorn
05-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Noting how “nearly one in two men, and more than one in three women, in this country will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime,” Couric regretted: “Yet since 2004 federal funding for research into the four most common kinds of cancer -- lung, colon, breast and prostate -- has been cut by more than $100 million.”

In fact, National Cancer Institute numbers show a 4.4 percent overall budget increase since 2003, not enough to match inflation but hardly a huge cut, while spending on “brain & central nervous system” (Kennedy's plight) grew by 33 percent and spending on pancreatic cancer, which killed Couric's sister, rose 75 percent.

Was Couric presenting this as straight "news"?

Or as an editorial or opinion piece?

red states rule
05-21-2008, 01:08 PM

With the liberal media there is no difference

retiredman
05-21-2008, 01:39 PM

if the budgets from the National Cancer Institute for 2004 and 2008 could be compared to see if the line items for "research" had been cut, that would be valuable.

Also.... it is incorrect to assume that the only place where the federal government funds cancer research is national cancer institute. I can well imagine that there are many other federal grants and subsidies that could have been cut over that four year period ... one cannot claim that the NCI budget numbers alone PROVE that Couric's statement was false.

Abbey Marie
05-21-2008, 01:52 PM
I've often wondered how much money was diverted from cancer research to be funneled into AIDS research...

glockmail
05-21-2008, 01:53 PM
Ya know, this does explain why his head is so big....

red states rule
05-22-2008, 09:09 AM
I've often wondered how much money was diverted from cancer research to be funneled into AIDS research...

Even though the US is spending billions, some say ot is not enough

Total funding for the response to AIDS in low- and middle-income countries has risen from US$300 million in 1996 to US$8.3 billion in 2005, but this amount remains inadequate.2 Spending per person living with HIV in the United States exceeds that in the Latin America and Caribbean region by a factor of 35, and is 1,000 times higher than in Africa.3

The Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) estimates that US$18.1 billion will be needed to effectively respond to AIDS in low- and middle-income countries in 2007, rising to US$22.1 billion in 2008, most of which will come from the international community. Around half of this money is required for HIV prevention, a quarter is for treatment and care, and the rest is for support of orphans and vulnerable children, programme costs and human resources.4 The worst-affected and poorest countries will depend on foreign funding for 80% of their HIV and AIDS resources. Other countries, less badly affected or economically challenged, have their AIDS work paid for through different funding streams.

http://www.avert.org/aidsmoney.htm