PDA

View Full Version : three biggest issues you face......

manu1959
05-21-2008, 03:46 PM
day in and day out .......

for me ....

money, food, shelter ......

tell me ...... who do you look to, to provide these for you .......

manu1959
05-21-2008, 03:51 PM
closed sewage system.......

but the more interesting question is not what they were but who created them.......

was it private enterprise ..... or the government .......

and of course i ask because ...... some say it will be the government that will lead us out of this difficult moment in time.....and others say it will private enterprise that will .....

05-21-2008, 04:31 PM
did you want those separate?

midcan5
05-21-2008, 05:28 PM
Personally, I do not have any real issues that face me each day, I hope few have that in America. If the morning finds me aware of the world, I have all I need. If forced to answer: that my children and theirs live long and well, that I get another healthy 20 years, and that social darwinist conservatism go the way of the dodo bird.

Greatest invention was the first liberal who left the cave and called back to the conservative hiding in the dark, armed with club, 'come out we can farm this land together.'

agriculture
breeding animals
constitutional government

midcan5
05-21-2008, 05:31 PM
"In actual fact, there is no such thing as a "free market." Markets are the creation of government.

Governments provide a stable currency to make markets possible. They provide a legal infrastructure and court systems to enforce the contracts that make markets possible. They provide educated workforces through public education, and those workers show up at their places of business after traveling on public roads, rails, or airways provided by government. Businesses that use the "free market" are protected by police and fire departments provided by government, and send their communications - from phone to fax to internet - over lines that follow public rights-of-way maintained and protected by government.

And, most important, the rules of the game of business are defined by government. Any sports fan can tell you that football, baseball, or hockey without rules and referees would be a mess. Similarly, business without rules won't work.

Which explains why conservative economics wiped out the middle class during the period from 1880 to 1932, and why, when Reagan again began applying conservative economics, the middle class again began to vanish in America in the 1980s - a process that has dramatically picked up steam under George W. Bush.

The conservative mantra is "let the market decide." But there is no market independent of government, so what they're really saying is, "Stop corporations from defending workers and building a middle class, and let the corporations decide how much to pay for labor and how to trade." This is, at best, destructive to national and international economies, and, at worst, destructive to democracy itself. "

"The middle class is a new invention of liberal democracies, the direct result of governments defining the rules of the game of business. It is, quite simply, an artifact of government regulation of markets and tax laws."

by Thom Hartmann

http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0312-08.htm

Yurt
05-21-2008, 05:35 PM
Personally, I do not have any real issues that face me each day, I hope few have that in America. If the morning finds me aware of the world, I have all I need. If forced to answer: that my children and theirs live long and well, that I get another healthy 20 years, and that social darwinist conservatism go the way of the dodo bird.

Greatest invention was the first liberal who left the cave and called back to the conservative hiding in the dark, armed with club, 'come out we can farm this land together.'

agriculture
breeding animals

impossible, the liberal would be waiting for the government to tell him to farm the land and the individual conservative would not have waited for the government to tell him to farm the land, the liberal would be hiding in the dark :poke:

money, food, shelter are my primary concerns these days. politics is of a concern insomuch as it could effect the 3 (like someone wanting to destroy my entire culture). someday when i have more resources, the concerns will probably be different.

Yurt
05-21-2008, 05:40 PM
"In actual fact, there is no such thing as a "free market." Markets are the creation of government.

Governments provide a stable currency to make markets possible. They provide a legal infrastructure and court systems to enforce the contracts that make markets possible. They provide educated workforces through public education, and those workers show up at their places of business after traveling on public roads, rails, or airways provided by government. Businesses that use the "free market" are protected by police and fire departments provided by government, and send their communications - from phone to fax to internet - over lines that follow public rights-of-way maintained and protected by government.

And, most important, the rules of the game of business are defined by government. Any sports fan can tell you that football, baseball, or hockey without rules and referees would be a mess. Similarly, business without rules won't work.

Which explains why conservative economics wiped out the middle class during the period from 1880 to 1932, and why, when Reagan again began applying conservative economics, the middle class again began to vanish in America in the 1980s - a process that has dramatically picked up steam under George W. Bush.

The conservative mantra is "let the market decide." But there is no market independent of government, so what they're really saying is, "Stop corporations from defending workers and building a middle class, and let the corporations decide how much to pay for labor and how to trade." This is, at best, destructive to national and international economies, and, at worst, destructive to democracy itself. "

"The middle class is a new invention of liberal democracies, the direct result of governments defining the rules of the game of business. It is, quite simply, an artifact of government regulation of markets and tax laws."

by Thom Hartmann

http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0312-08.htm

do you have any idea of the definition of "free market?" does the government tell verizon what it can and cannot charge us? does the government tell me what i can offer something for on craigslist? of course not. supplying the currency has nothing to do with the free market here. i am free to sell or trade and an item on the open market. i could demand 5000 brownies for my car if i wanted....

actsnoblemartin
05-21-2008, 05:42 PM
5,000 brownies, i'll take it :420:

:laugh2:

do you have any idea of the definition of "free market?" does the government tell verizon what it can and cannot charge us? does the government tell me what i can offer something for on craigslist? of course not. supplying the currency has nothing to do with the free market here. i am free to sell or trade and an item on the open market. i could demand 5000 brownies for my car if i wanted....

manu1959
05-21-2008, 06:16 PM
did you want those separate?

originally yes but they work together so it was a happy accident.....

05-21-2008, 06:34 PM

agriculture
breeding animals

You want a constitutional government? Since when? I hope you enjoy conservatism then.

AllieBaba
05-21-2008, 06:42 PM
The three biggest personal issues:
1. To be a good Christian.
2. To be a good citizen.
3. To raise well-adjusted confident children (which includes a myriad of things, including food, shelter, religion)

manu1959
05-21-2008, 07:31 PM
The three biggest personal issues:
1. To be a good Christian.
2. To be a good citizen.
3. To raise well-adjusted confident children (which includes a myriad of things, including food, shelter, religion)

how and from whom do you expect to get these things?

Pale Rider
05-21-2008, 07:41 PM

for me ....

1). Too much time on my hands.

2). What should I have for dinner tonight.

3). Should I go out tonight.

I know.... tough life.... and I depend on myself, and have been the majority of my life.

gabosaurus
05-21-2008, 07:48 PM
The spiraling prices of just about everything

Crime

Poverty and homelessness

82Marine89
05-21-2008, 07:51 PM
three biggest issues you face......

for me ....

1. Being the best male role model my daughters can have.
2. Being a fair manager for the employees below me.
3. Maintaining my sanity and not becoming a sniper because I live in a liberal Hell hole.

I handle these issues through self-help books and newsletters. I constantly strive to improve who and what I am.

Kathianne
05-21-2008, 07:52 PM
price of gas and food. Becoming more and more of a choice with bills.

Where to live, here or somewhere cheaper.

To keep teaching or go for something more profitable. Hard decision relating to passion and age.

Yurt
05-23-2008, 09:45 AM
which bed of the hotel room tonight to do.....

origami

Dilloduck
05-23-2008, 10:56 AM
There is not enough time to do all the things I want to accomplish and no--the government can't do a damn thing to help provide me with time.