PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Seen "The Planet Earth?"

Pale Rider
05-22-2008, 09:17 PM
It's like a three disc set and looks like it's REALLY good. I've been watching them on ebay because I see the Blu-ray set in the stores is like a hundred bucks.

But has anyone here seen it yet? I'm wondering if it's worth the price tag?

DragonStryk72
05-23-2008, 01:09 AM
Yup, they've been playing it non-stop at border's down here, and it's a really nice set. A couple of my personal favorites was watching an elephant completely disappear under an entire pride of lionesses, and then there was this part where a seal got swallowed whole by a great white, the nifty part being that the seal was in the air when he got snagged, the got him in one gulp.

dan
05-24-2008, 11:23 AM
It's outstanding, and there's much much more to it than animals eating each other. If I had a Blue-Ray/hi-def setup, it would be the very first video I'd purchase. The visuals alone are outstanding, but the stuff they manage to capture, there's things on there that have never been seen by humans before! I won't spoil it for you, but definitely get it as soon as you can.

Also, there's another BBC special called The Blue Planet that's just as amazing. Again, lots of things never seen by humans before. They have them together in one package right now, but I'm sure the price for that is astronomical.

theHawk
05-29-2008, 07:08 PM
Yes I have it on blu-ray, its so awesome in high-def. Watching baby seals get slung up into the air and swallowed whole by a great white in 40x slow down in high-def is the most awesome thing I've ever seen.

There is a little bit of complaining about global warming in the narration of an episode or two, but its not much at all. The Earth is warming for sure, I just don't think we're at fault or can do a damned thing about it. We're just ants on this planet.

It is definately worth the price tag.

theHawk
05-29-2008, 07:10 PM
Also, there's another BBC special called The Blue Planet that's just as amazing. Again, lots of things never seen by humans before. They have them together in one package right now, but I'm sure the price for that is astronomical.

I've been waiting for the Blue Planet(BBC) one on blu-ray. Not to be confused with Blue Planet made by IMAX.

Another good one is the Mars Rovers one. Its kinda short but its good.

5stringJeff
05-31-2008, 11:43 AM
I've only seen them on TV (in HD), and they're incredible.

Hagbard Celine
05-31-2008, 12:00 PM
Yes, the Planet Earth series is great.

PostmodernProphet
05-31-2008, 01:15 PM
downloaded the torrent (took a week, 29Gig).....I would say it is worth buying, though my only HDTV is my 24 inch computer monitor (well, it WAS my TV until the channel tuner burned out)....

my favorites are the timelapse season changes on the first episode.....you look at a mountain scene and watch spring sweep across the screen from left to right

Pale Rider
06-04-2008, 02:51 AM
Well it looks from the reviews you guys have given this set, it's a must have. Looks like I can get the Blu-ray disc set, brand new on ebay for somewhere around $45 to $50. I'm going for it.

dan
06-04-2008, 08:27 AM
Well it looks from the reviews you guys have given this set, it's a must have. Looks like I can get the Blu-ray disc set, brand new on ebay for somewhere around $45 to $50. I'm going for it.

I would, that's a really good price!

glockmail
06-04-2008, 08:40 AM
I would, that's a really good price! Quick- bid it up! :lol:

Abbey Marie
06-04-2008, 08:49 AM
The thread gives me the impression that the show is mostly about animals killing animals, which sooo does not appeal to me. Is there a high percentage of other good stuff on it?

dan
06-04-2008, 09:54 AM
The thread gives me the impression that the show is mostly about animals killing animals, which sooo does not appeal to me. Is there a high percentage of other good stuff on it?

It's outstanding, and there's much much more to it than animals eating each other.

While I wouldn't say that it is a very very small amount of the program, it's not the only thing on there, either. Landscape shots (the show is about the planet, not just animals, so there's a good bit of stuff that doesn't even have any animals in it at all), babies being raised, animals interacting, etc. But, yes, there are definitely some scenes that you will probably want to fast-forward through, like those mentioned above.

Abbey Marie
06-04-2008, 10:17 AM
While I wouldn't say that it is a very very small amount of the program, it's not the only thing on there, either. Landscape shots (the show is about the planet, not just animals, so there's a good bit of stuff that doesn't even have any animals in it at all), babies being raised, animals interacting, etc. But, yes, there are definitely some scenes that you will probably want to fast-forward through, like those mentioned above.

Thanks, Dan. :)

dan
06-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Thanks, Dan. :)

Sure. I should also note that the other series I mentioned, Blue Planet, doesn't really have a lot of animal attack stuff at all, beyond stuff like birds dive-bombing to catch fish and dolphins breaking up schools for feeding time, but nothing disturbing by any means.

Abbey Marie
06-04-2008, 12:02 PM
Sure. I should also note that the other series I mentioned, Blue Planet, doesn't really have a lot of animal attack stuff at all, beyond stuff like birds dive-bombing to catch fish and dolphins breaking up schools for feeding time, but nothing disturbing by any means.

Sounds good. I think I've seen some of that on TV?

dan
06-04-2008, 01:27 PM
Sounds good. I think I've seen some of that on TV?

Discovery channel originally aired them both. Well, BBC originally aired them both, but Discovery was the one to air it in this country. Chances are you've probably seen bits and pieces of The Planet Earth on there, they show it a lot.