PDA

View Full Version : Texas seizure of polygamist-sect kids thrown out

Yurt
05-22-2008, 11:35 PM
Texas seizure of polygamist-sect kids thrown out

SAN ANGELO, Texas - In a ruling that could torpedo the case against the West Texas polygamist sect, a state appeals court Thursday said authorities had no right to seize more than 440 children in a raid on the splinter group's compound last month.

The Third Court of Appeals in Austin said the state failed to show the youngsters were in any immediate danger, the only grounds in Texas law for taking children from their parents without court action.

It was not clear when the children — now scattered in foster homes across the state — might be returned to their parents. The ruling gave a lower-court judge 10 days to release the youngsters from custody, but the state could appeal to the Texas Supreme Court and block that.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080523/...E2TSoRsEtb AF

manu1959
05-22-2008, 11:38 PM
Texas seizure of polygamist-sect kids thrown out

SAN ANGELO, Texas - In a ruling that could torpedo the case against the West Texas polygamist sect, a state appeals court Thursday said authorities had no right to seize more than 440 children in a raid on the splinter group's compound last month.

The Third Court of Appeals in Austin said the state failed to show the youngsters were in any immediate danger, the only grounds in Texas law for taking children from their parents without court action.

It was not clear when the children — now scattered in foster homes across the state — might be returned to their parents. The ruling gave a lower-court judge 10 days to release the youngsters from custody, but the state could appeal to the Texas Supreme Court and block that.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080523/...E2TSoRsEtb AF

i completly agree with this ruling......these kids should not have been taken.....texas tax payers are buying a new compound......

and you know what if some dude wants four wives....more power to him....moron.....

dread
05-22-2008, 11:39 PM
Read about this...I think Texas has hurt themselves on a legal standpoint. However personally I think they did the right thing.

manu1959
05-22-2008, 11:42 PM
Read about this...I think Texas has hurt themselves on a legal standpoint. However personally I think they did the right thing.

really....why should someone not be able to have multiple spouses.....

Yurt
05-22-2008, 11:50 PM
i completly agree with this ruling......these kids should not have been taken.....texas tax payers are buying a new compound......

and you know what if some dude wants four wives....more power to him....moron.....

i completely agree and i never saw where the state had enough evidence to take the kids

05-23-2008, 12:25 AM
i completely agree and i never saw where the state had enough evidence to take the kids

And from what Ive seen they aren't really finding the evidence they thought they would.

That hasn't stopped the media from lamenting about how these judges can be so incensitive to child abuse. They never stop to ask themselves whether its really true that the entire community was abusing children, or even a majority.

Pale Rider
05-23-2008, 12:46 AM
And from what Ive seen they aren't really finding the evidence they thought they would.

That hasn't stopped the media from lamenting about how these judges can be so incensitive to child abuse. They never stop to ask themselves whether its really true that the entire community was abusing children, or even a majority.

True. If any child was to be removed, it should have been done on a child by child investigation, not some jack booted, gun totting, 440 kid round up. I think that was a complete, gross, abuse of power. Our government at work.