PDA

View Full Version : Obama spars with McCain on GI Bill

Classact
05-23-2008, 07:41 AM
This playing politics with the troops is really starting to upset me. I think the Republicans have had about enough too.
“I respect Senator John McCain’s service to our country. … but I can’t understand why he would line up behind the president in opposition to this GI bill. I can’t believe he believes it is too generous to our veterans. I could not disagree with him and the president more on this issue. There are many issues that lend themselves to partisan posturing but giving our veterans the chance to go to college should not be one of them,” he continued.

McCain, who was not in town for the vote, took issue with Obama’s assertions about his commitment to the troops.

“I will not accept from Senator Obama, who did not feel it was his responsibility to serve our country in uniform, any lectures on my regard for those who did,” McCain said in a written statement.http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/05/22/obama-mccain-spar-over-gi-bills-education-incentives/

Here is the deal, the Democrats wrote the GI Bill and submitted it in the House of Representatives under a closed rule. That means no member of the House, Dem or Repub can change it. Of course it passed because you are either with the troops or against the troops.

Yesterday in the Senate the bill had the same option, you are with the troops and tons of pork or you are against the troops and tons of pork.

Leading up to the vote in the Senate Obama takes a chance to slam McCain for failing to support the troops.

Last week Senate Majority Leader Reid tabled the McCain alternative GI Bill, that means without even discussing the alternative he demanded a vote killing the McCain alternative.

Now the Democratic version of the GI Bill, the tons of pork and the war funding wait in the House of Representatives. The problem is Republicans will not vote for the combined package since they had no part in drafting the legislation. The Democrats do not have the votes to pass the funding and legislation because the Out of Iraq and Blue Dog caucuses refuse to vote yes on the legislation. The bill can only move with Republican yes vote.

If the Republicans do approve the bill the President will veto it and the House Republicans will sustain the veto. I think the Republicans will hold Nancy Pelosi's feet to the fire and leave the troops unfunded to the point she will be forced to introduce separate war funding legislation that is "clean" so the Republicans will vote yes. What do you think?

Pale Rider
05-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Just wait until the dims anoint hussein their nomination, and he has to sit one on one with mccain in a debate. He's going to get his ass handed to him in a fashion as we have never seen before.

Just watch hussein when he talks. He tilts his head, looks down his nose at you, and then hangs his eyes half shut as if to say, "you filthy little white boy, you should be worshipping me like the rest of these stupid idiots I have under my control."

Monkeybone
05-23-2008, 12:08 PM
i did like part of McCain's reply, that he wasn't against all of it, but that there needs to be a sliding scale, so that a person who served 3 years doesn't get the same as someone who served 10 years.

boobies

Classact
05-23-2008, 05:02 PM
i did like part of McCain's reply, that he wasn't against all of it, but that there needs to be a sliding scale, so that a person who served 3 years doesn't get the same as someone who served 10 years.

boobiesYes the current legislation is a plan for a national draft if the shit hits the fan. So, if you are an officer (that means you already have a college education) you get nothing. If you are an enlisted person that has also attended college ... you get nothing.

The problem is the Democratic GI Bill was created in a closet and no dems or repubs were allowed to make it better. It is only a political tool, vote against the bill and I'll run 24 -7 ads about how you don't support the troops.

ranger
05-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Maybe we should turn the troops loose on the dems and see who comes out on top.:lol: