PDA

View Full Version : America...a morally bankrupt, imperialist power

Joe Steel
05-23-2008, 11:24 AM
This if from Joe Liberman's recent OpEd in the Wall Street Journal:

America...a morally bankrupt, imperialist power whose militarism and "inordinate fear of communism" represented the real threat to world peace.

It's a bit out of context but it's substantially accurate so I thought it should be shared.

stephanie
05-23-2008, 11:47 AM
I'd like to read this op-ed..

:link:

Joe Steel
05-23-2008, 12:08 PM
I'd like to read this op-ed..

:link:

http://online.wsj.com/article_print/SB121132806884008847.html

Abbey Marie
05-23-2008, 12:47 PM
:laugh2: :laugh2:

He's talking about the Dem party!

This worldview began to come apart in the late 1960s, around the war in Vietnam. In its place, a very different view of the world took root in the Democratic Party. Rather than seeing the Cold War as an ideological contest between the free nations of the West and the repressive regimes of the communist world, this rival political philosophy saw America as the aggressor – a morally bankrupt, imperialist power whose militarism and "inordinate fear of communism" represented the real threat to world peace.

stephanie
05-23-2008, 12:54 PM

that's why I asked him for the link.:wink2:

Abbey Marie
05-23-2008, 01:32 PM
So, Joe, we are waiting for you to continue your trashing of the Dems, as initiated in your op. I want to learn more. :laugh2:

Missileman
05-23-2008, 01:47 PM

I'll bet he feels like he did when his mom yanked down his pants in public and spanked his bare ass...that had to sting! :laugh2:

hjmick
05-23-2008, 03:25 PM

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/hjmc3rd/doh.jpg

hjmick
05-23-2008, 03:45 PM
It's a bit out of context but it's substantially accurate so I thought it should be shared.

More like substantially out of context and accurate only to you and those who share your views.

MtnBiker
05-23-2008, 03:53 PM
A great example of someone reading what they want to believe rather than what is actually there.

glockmail
05-23-2008, 04:17 PM
I feel sorry for poor old Joe. With that level of stupidity, he must have been picked on a lot in junior high.

Pale Rider
05-23-2008, 07:18 PM
joe tin - a morally bankrupt, imperialist power

Joe Steel
05-23-2008, 07:33 PM
I told you it was out of context, you morons.

Silver
05-23-2008, 07:34 PM
Poor Joe.....RESIDENT IDIOT !:lol::fu::salute:

05-23-2008, 08:03 PM
wow... that's just wow. Talk about having one's head in the sand on that one.

It's way out of context. however, it is completely accurate in context.

Dems need to stop seeing America as the bad guy.

Side point: A thought just occured to me. Democrats see this country as bad, evil, morally wrong and corrupt. Yet they want to lead it. So basically their personal desire is to lead the most evil nation in the world... In order to lead evil, dont you have to be evil?

retiredman
05-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Side point: A thought just occured to me. Democrats see this country as bad, evil, morally wrong and corrupt. Yet they want to lead it. So basically their personal desire is to lead the most evil nation in the world... In order to lead evil, dont you have to be evil?

I wonder if the church feels that way? is not the world full of sinners, yet the church seeks to lead the world out of sin.

What say you to THAT, hypocrite?

05-23-2008, 08:11 PM
I wonder if the church feels that way? is not the world full of sinners, yet the church seeks to lead the world out of sin.

Trying to change the inner person and seeking personal power are quite different my friend.

retiredman
05-23-2008, 08:17 PM
Trying to change the inner person and seeking personal power are quite different my friend.

interesting comment, from one who grossly misuses personal power....

actsnoblemartin
05-23-2008, 09:35 PM
is there anything about america you like?

Joe Steel
05-24-2008, 07:10 AM
is there anything about america you like?

I remember reading of something Woodrow Wilson is supposed to have said to Franklin Roosevelt. He said, in public affairs, Americans will rise above their personal concerns to place the affairs of the nation first only about one third of the time. That's why we will always have more Republican presidents than Democratic presidents.

That one third of the time is America's only redeeming quality. It's given us Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, CHIP and a number of other programs which do real good for everyday Americans.

Abbey Marie
05-24-2008, 09:13 AM
I remember reading of something Woodrow Wilson is supposed to have said to Franklin Roosevelt. He said, in public affairs, Americans will rise above their personal concerns to place the affairs of the nation first only about one third of the time. That's why we will always have more Republican presidents than Democratic presidents.

That one third of the time is America's only redeeming quality. It's given us Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, CHIP and a number of other programs which do real good for everyday Americans.

Wow.
So, when are you moving out of this horrible country, Joe?

jimnyc
05-24-2008, 09:19 AM
The only thing bankrupt I see is Joe's brain.

That one third of the time is America's only redeeming quality.

That, and the fact that we still allow idiots like you to live here.

Yurt
05-24-2008, 10:19 AM

wrong, it is a complete fabrication by you. the context had zero to do with your heading. you obviously do not even know what "out of context" means. how sad for you.

Joe Steel
05-24-2008, 10:11 PM
wrong, it is a complete fabrication by you. the context had zero to do with your heading. you obviously do not even know what "out of context" means. how sad for you.

Nonsense. The title was correct.

You should have someone help you read them.

actsnoblemartin
05-24-2008, 10:14 PM
nice to see how much you love your country asshole

:slap:

Joe Steel
05-25-2008, 05:53 AM
nice to see how much you love your country asshole

:slap:

Do you think patriotism is mindless acceptance of government?

Do you think love of country is unconditional loyalty regardless of its immorality?

Joe Steel
05-25-2008, 05:55 AM

Exactly.

Clerics deal with sinners not because they want to be sinners but because they want to save them.

Joe Steel
05-25-2008, 06:00 AM
Another example of American immorality...

DUBLIN - The diplomatic conference to ban cluster munitions - bomb canisters that open and spew hundreds or thousands of bomblets that harm both civilians and soldiers - is being held in Dublin. The United States is not participating in the deliberations but it is making its presence painfully known.

The United States is making no secret of its pressure on allies to weaken the treaty to serve its own interests. One official recently bragged that the United States had “spoken with” more than 110 countries about this treaty. It has told allies that it will not alter its military doctrine, structure, or deployments. It has also threatened that it will not remove its cluster munitions stockpiled in countries that do join the treaty - even though it did remove land mines stockpiled in countries that are part of the Mine Ban Treaty.

US Subverts The Cluster Bomb Ban (http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2008/05/24/9169/)

ranger
05-25-2008, 09:47 AM

These programs do not do GOOD for Americans. They are a way to become indebted to the government. The times when Americans rise above thinking they need to have a government handout for everything and work for themselves is when Americans truly redeem themselves. That's the America our Founding Fathers started and that's the America we should be trying to restore.

ranger
05-25-2008, 09:49 AM
Do you think patriotism is mindless acceptance of government?

And yet you mindlessly wait for the government handout in the form of social security, medicare, medicaid, etc. For someone who dislikes America so much, you sure can't function without it.

Do you think love of country is unconditional loyalty regardless of its immorality?

Obviously we have a different view of morality here. Mine is the sensible one and yours is the whacked out looney view. :lol:

Roadrunner
05-25-2008, 12:41 PM

How about giving us some examples of America's "immorality", to your way of thinking?

Yurt
05-25-2008, 04:22 PM

context -- The part of a text or statement that surrounds a particular word or passage and determines its meaning.

your link is about dems and your link does not support your premise at all. your entire thread is a logical fallacy:

The fallacy of Quoting Out of Context is committed when a contextomy is offered as evidence in an argument

silly kid, quotes are for adults

Joe Steel
05-26-2008, 12:56 PM
context -- The part of a text or statement that surrounds a particular word or passage and determines its meaning.

your link is about dems and your link does not support your premise at all. your entire thread is a logical fallacy:

silly kid, quotes are for adults

Utter nonsense. I copied a block of text because I agreed with it and gave the source. I never said anything about Democrats or Lieberman's view of them.

You're semi-literate who should be cutting-out paper dolls and pasting them on your parents' walls not playing with a computer.

manu1959
05-26-2008, 01:19 PM
Utter nonsense. I copied a block of text because I agreed with it and gave the source. I never said anything about Democrats or Lieberman's view of them.

You're semi-literate who should be cutting-out paper dolls and pasting them on your parents' walls not playing with a computer.

so you agree that dems are morally bankrupt.....and imperialistic....

Joe Steel
05-26-2008, 01:50 PM
so you agree that dems are morally bankrupt.....and imperialistic....

Maybe you and the other idiot can read my postings together. Between the two of you, you might be able to understand what I mean when I say this isn't about Democrats.

manu1959
05-26-2008, 01:52 PM
Maybe you and the other idiot can read my postings together. Between the two of you, you might be able to understand what I mean when I say this isn't about Democrats.

you stated you agreed with the statement....the statement was about the morally bankrupt and imperialistic democrats.....

Joe Steel
05-26-2008, 02:02 PM
you stated you agreed with the statement....the statement was about the morally bankrupt and imperialistic democrats.....

Try again, dumbass.

This time, read what I posted.

dread
05-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Wow.
So, when are you moving out of this horrible country, Joe?

He isnt going to move out...Johnny Jihad will FORCE his elitist ideology onto the rest of us whether we like it or not. Didn't you know that the rest of us heathens are oh sooo stupid and he is Allah incarnate.

manu1959
05-26-2008, 02:31 PM
Try again, dumbass.

This time, read what I posted.

i have read it.....it says that joe liberman thinks that the dems are imperialistic and morally bankrupt....i you have stated you agree with him....

Joe Steel
05-26-2008, 03:15 PM
i have read it.....it says that joe liberman thinks that the dems are imperialistic and morally bankrupt....i you have stated you agree with him....

No. I didn't.

I said single sentence was substantially accurate.

05-26-2008, 03:42 PM
No. I didn't.

I said single sentence was substantially accurate.

You didn't quote a sentence. You quoted a fragment. The sentence was:

Rather than seeing the Cold War as an ideological contest between the free nations of the West and the repressive regimes of the communist world, this rival political philosophy saw America as the aggressor – a morally bankrupt, imperialist power whose militarism and "inordinate fear of communism" represented the real threat to world peace.

Do you believe this or not?

And why don't you answer any question about how America is a morally bankrupt, imperialist power? Or are you too busy arguing about nothing to discuss things?

Yurt
05-26-2008, 03:44 PM

instead of attempting to be witty, why don't you try to address this point:

The fallacy of Quoting Out of Context is committed when a contextomy is offered as evidence in an argument

your entire thread is a logical fallacy.