PDA

View Full Version : Veterans' Burials Nonstop At National Cemeteries

Pale Rider
05-25-2008, 07:42 AM
Veterans' Burials Nonstop At National Cemeteries

2008-05-25 01:38:14
By JOE MILICIA Associated Press Writer

RITTMAN, Ohio (AP) — The cracking of rifle fire silenced the twittering blue jays, blackbirds and killdeer.

As members of the color guard lowered their rifles, the smell of bitter smoke drifted over the family and friends of former Army Sgt. Ellis Hale, a Vietnam War veteran who died of prostate cancer at age 59. Sniffles and gentle sobs accompanied a recording of taps.

Moments after the final note, Sherry Hale walked down a curved brick walkway past the saluting line of representatives of the country's past wars. Head bowed, she clutched to her chest the American flag that covered her husband's casket.

The scene at the Ohio Western Reserve National Cemetery is repeated nationwide more than 100 times a day. Military veterans are being buried at such a rapid rate that national cemeteries use heavy equipment to make room.

Article continues here... (http://charter.net/news/news_reader.php?storyid=14663499&feedid=248)

namvet
05-25-2008, 08:01 AM
I read this last night.

An average of 1,800 veterans die each day, and 10 percent of them are buried in the country's 125 national cemeteries, which are expected to set a record with 107,000 interments, including dependents, this year. And more national cemeteries are being built.

almost all the WW2/Korea vets are gone. and now the vets from my war are starting to pass. does not seem that long since I served. :salute:

Kathianne
05-25-2008, 11:12 AM
I read this last night.

almost all the WW2/Korea vets are gone. and now the vets from my war are starting to pass. does not seem that long since I served. :salute:

Yep was thinking of my dad today, he has joined the majority from WWII. Doesn't seem that long ago that he'd been so strong. :salute:

namvet
05-25-2008, 11:35 AM
Yep was thinking of my dad today, he has joined the majority from WWII. Doesn't seem that long ago that he'd been so strong. :salute:

same here. my dad and uncle served in that war. they are both deceased. been thinking of them all day today..............