PDA

View Full Version : Memorial day 08

namvet
05-25-2008, 04:27 PM
god bless you all and those who died for us all

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.org/images/ANC_surroundings/images/image09_jpg.jpg

the ragged old flag (the ragged old flag)

Yurt
05-25-2008, 04:51 PM
Thank you vets.

My father is a vet from Vietnam. He did not have a good experience, i grew up learning that my path was not the military. the military is not for you. you must be an individual, do not ever join the military, you won't like it. so i never joined, came close, but never. i do not regret that decision, nor do i regret my father's words, for he is a vet and that is his experience and his right to raise his son as he sees fit.

vets. those who secure our freedoms. while i type madly away at a keyboard blathering about things a soldier would deem stupid, i know that the soldier/vet has given me this freedom. it is a small part of freedom, but it is the small parts that ultimately make up the larger part.

i do remember.....and am thankful

stephanie
05-25-2008, 05:19 PM
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m268/alaskamomma/flag.gif

God Bless Our Brave Men and Women who gave all for us.

Sitarro
05-25-2008, 08:02 PM
Thanks Dad and thanks to all who have served our country.

Abbey Marie
05-25-2008, 08:14 PM
http://www.theodoresworld.net/pics/0507/mdayImage1.jpg

82Marine89
05-25-2008, 08:18 PM
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived."
-- George Patton

:salute:

Sitarro
05-25-2008, 08:22 PM
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived."
-- George Patton

:salute:

Great words from a great man.:salute:

Sitarro
05-26-2008, 01:25 AM
Thank you vets.

My father is a vet from Vietnam. He did not have a good experience, i grew up learning that my path was not the military. the military is not for you. you must be an individual, do not ever join the military, you won't like it. so i never joined, came close, but never. i do not regret that decision, nor do i regret my father's words, for he is a vet and that is his experience and his right to raise his son as he sees fit.

vets. those who secure our freedoms. while i type madly away at a keyboard blathering about things a soldier would deem stupid, i know that the soldier/vet has given me this freedom. it is a small part of freedom, but it is the small parts that ultimately make up the larger part.

i do remember.....and am thankful

Very well put Yurt. My experience was a lot like yours except I'm obviously a bit older. I grew up in the U.S. Air Force, my first 18 years. My dad retired when I was heading into my senior year of high school. I was the black sheep of the family, the rebel that was against anything my father stood for. I certainly wasn't going into the military if I wasn't forced into it, I had spent 18 years in it. I doubt that I could have made it through basic without ending up locked up. I grew up eventually and became friends with my Dad before it was too late, I couldn't be more proud of the sacrifices he made.

I now wish things would have been different, I think I would have enjoyed being a pilot in the Air Force, military life was actually quite an adventure growing up even if I didn't appreciate it when I was younger.

Yurt
05-26-2008, 03:26 PM
Very well put Yurt. My experience was a lot like yours except I'm obviously a bit older. I grew up in the U.S. Air Force, my first 18 years. My dad retired when I was heading into my senior year of high school. I was the black sheep of the family, the rebel that was against anything my father stood for. I certainly wasn't going into the military if I wasn't forced into it, I had spent 18 years in it. I doubt that I could have made it through basic without ending up locked up. I grew up eventually and became friends with my Dad before it was too late, I couldn't be more proud of the sacrifices he made.

I now wish things would have been different, I think I would have enjoyed being a pilot in the Air Force, military life was actually quite an adventure growing up even if I didn't appreciate it when I was younger.

i'll never grow up :)

thanks for sharing

retiredman
05-26-2008, 03:39 PM
my dad was a 30 year old lawyer with a five day old baby daughter when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. He joined the Army Air Corps immediately and didnt really come home again until my sister was four years old.

I rebelled against him... only insofar as I joined the Navy instead of the Army.

His generation saved the world.

Pale Rider
05-26-2008, 05:13 PM

The eight years I spent in the Air Force were my favorite years of my life. I was young and tough and loved all the moving around and the adventure. The day at MacDill AFB in 1986 when I was carrying a tool box and some TO's off the flight line after a long maintenance stint on an F-16, and with sore shoulders I straightened myself up and threw my shoulders back only to have major nerve tremors run down both arms into my hands dropping both the tool box and the TO's, and my friends asking me if I was alright. That was the beginning of the end of my Air Craft maintenance days. Funny how taking RPG fragments in my right lung years earlier in Lebanon didn't mean squat. They took me off the flight line, promised me a new job, and then gave me one that wasn't even one of the ones listed, and pushed me off into a dead end job that was being farmed out to civilian workers. I had planned on lifing it in the Air Force. My unfortunate neck/pinched nerve problems thwarted that sadly. None the less, I would recommend the military to ANYONE, especially my beloved Air Force.

Brother is an Army, Viet Nam veteran, God rest his soul, and father is a WWII Navy, Pearl Harbor vet.

Brothers grave, yesterday, the Latin inscription on the bottom of the stone translates, "I lived this life." He used to sign all his writings with that.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2371/2526063610_6d6162bb73_b.jpg

retiredman
05-26-2008, 06:15 PM
Having also served in Lebanon, palerider...I am curious as to what action an airforce enlisted aircraft mechanic received RPG shrapnel in?

Yurt
05-26-2008, 06:52 PM
Today, 04:15 PM
Remove user from ignore listmanfrommaine
This message is hidden because manfrommaine is on your ignore list.

:clap:

darin
11-04-2008, 11:41 AM
my dad was a 30 year old lawyer with a five day old baby daughter when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. He joined the Army Air Corps immediately and didnt really come home again until my sister was four years old.

I rebelled against him... only insofar as I joined the Navy instead of the Army.

His generation saved the world.

How long were in the Navy?

Yurt
11-04-2008, 12:30 PM
How long were in the Navy?

didn't he say he was naval reserve?