PDA

View Full Version : How to lower gas prices

gabosaurus
05-25-2008, 11:25 PM
It's not about making more fuel available. It about less consumption.
Gas prices are supply and demand. You could double the amount of crude oil available and gas prices would not go down. Because the oil companies do not want them to go down.
Big Oil knows American consumers love their gas hogs. The big SUVs and four-wheel vehicles that get less than 20 mpg.

Prices are even more outrageous for diesel fuel. Many truckers are close to being wiped out.

The answer is driving more fuel efficient vehicles and using less gas. And demand that the oil companies disclose how their profit is calculated and where it is coming from.
The latter will never happen, since Big Oil controls Congress and The White House.

Gaffer
05-26-2008, 08:49 AM
Gas prices are supply and demand. You could double the amount of crude oil available and gas prices would not go down. Because the oil companies do not want them to go down.
Big Oil knows American consumers love their gas hogs. The big SUVs and four-wheel vehicles that get less than 20 mpg.

Prices are even more outrageous for diesel fuel. Many truckers are close to being wiped out.

The answer is driving more fuel efficient vehicles and using less gas. And demand that the oil companies disclose how their profit is calculated and where it is coming from.
The latter will never happen, since Big Oil controls Congress and The White House.

Increasing the gas supply will lower the prices. Most people use gas for work and necessary travel. There's not much cutting back anyone can do.

If the auto makers only produce economy cars then the big SUV's will only belong to poor people, because they can't afford the new cars. It hurts them because they now have to deal with the cost of the gas. Shit rolls down hill and those with low income have to deal with it. Having to make do and get by for long periods of time is one of the life experiences you missed.

5stringJeff
05-26-2008, 09:44 AM
The answer is driving more fuel efficient vehicles and using less gas.

Agreed. I am buying a Chevy Volt the minute they become available for sale. I am tired of paying ever more money for gasoline. At least with the Volt, I can wait to fill up about once a month.

And demand that the oil companies disclose how their profit is calculated and where it is coming from.

Calculating profit is really not that hard to figure out. Go to the SEC website and download their annual income statements.

05-26-2008, 10:23 AM
deja vu. Didn't we hear this in the 70s? didn't gas prices explode then? When did gas prices go back down?

Oh yeah, when we increased supply.

Conserve all you want. nothing bad about it but unless you have more gas on the market as well you are still going to have high gas prices.

Joe Steel
05-26-2008, 12:52 PM
deja vu. Didn't we hear this in the 70s? didn't gas prices explode then? When did gas prices go back down?

Oh yeah, when we increased supply.

Conserve all you want. nothing bad about it but unless you have more gas on the market as well you are still going to have high gas prices.

Try again.

While oil production might have increased, efficiency increases also contributed to the resolution of the gasoline problem. Cars became more fuel-efficient and need less gasoline.

Kathianne
05-26-2008, 12:53 PM
Try again.

While oil production might have increased, efficiency increases also contributed to the resolution of the gasoline problem. Cars became more fuel-efficient and need less gasoline.

And considering it was in the 70's oil crisis that Americans began buying Japanese cars for the gas efficiency, do you really think it needed to mandated by the government? They had to get more efficient or go broke.

Trigg
05-26-2008, 12:58 PM
Try again.

Cars haven't become that much more efficient. Gas prices were 1.90 two yrs ago. This isn't a supply problem,

05-26-2008, 01:34 PM
Try again.

That would be why i said they helped. But without more supply it doesnt matter how efficient you get it.

DragonStryk72
05-26-2008, 05:19 PM
Increasing the gas supply will lower the prices. Most people use gas for work and necessary travel. There's not much cutting back anyone can do.

If the auto makers only produce economy cars then the big SUV's will only belong to poor people, because they can't afford the new cars. It hurts them because they now have to deal with the cost of the gas. Shit rolls down hill and those with low income have to deal with it. Having to make do and get by for long periods of time is one of the life experiences you missed.

Okay, in some places, that's true, but here, I get warped looks when I say I'll just walk or ride my bike over to the 7-11, let alone my regular jaunts to work and back.

Not every poor person is actually poor. I know that sounds stupid, but bear with me. We'll use my buddy Josh as an example: While he is 'poor', he was recently able to buy himself an XBOX 360, one of those ultra-expensive limited edition ones they produced for Halo 3. Now, I play video games, so no way am I knocking it, but as well he has his chronic smoking habit, his affinity for gaming books, and this unknown desire to loan money out that he doesn't have to give away. I did the calcs, if he simply curbed his rampant overspending, then there would more than enough money for him to get a nicer place, closer to work, and more to spend on his daughter Jenna.

I'm saying this as well, having been poor personally for a time. 90% of the problems people are having these days stems from an unrealistic idea of how much they can afford to spend each month.

Yurt
05-26-2008, 06:18 PM
Okay, in some places, that's true, but here, I get warped looks when I say I'll just walk or ride my bike over to the 7-11, let alone my regular jaunts to work and back.

Not every poor person is actually poor. I know that sounds stupid, but bear with me. We'll use my buddy Josh as an example: While he is 'poor', he was recently able to buy himself an XBOX 360, one of those ultra-expensive limited edition ones they produced for Halo 3. Now, I play video games, so no way am I knocking it, but as well he has his chronic smoking habit, his affinity for gaming books, and this unknown desire to loan money out that he doesn't have to give away. I did the calcs, if he simply curbed his rampant overspending, then there would more than enough money for him to get a nicer place, closer to work, and more to spend on his daughter Jenna.

I'm saying this as well, having been poor personally for a time. 90% of the problems people are having these days stems from an unrealistic idea of how much they can afford to spend each month.

i think it is due to the economy. this country runs on consumers willing to spend, often more than they have or make. it is not a bad thing necessarily, however, many consumers like your friend are not educated in fiscal responsibility. it has always intrigued me that this is not taught in primary or secondary education. we are forced to learn that just because "burt" wants to have anal sex with "harry" that does not make him a bad person and this somehow makes this country better. but teaching people about budgets, economy....nah, focusing on anal sex is much more important thanks to "progressive liberalism."

glockmail
05-26-2008, 06:42 PM
It's not about making more fuel available. It about less consumption. ..... Actually it's about supply and demand, not just demand. Anyone with a decent education should understand that.

Yurt
05-26-2008, 06:44 PM
Actually it's about supply and demand, not just demand. Anyone with a decent education should understand that.

PSYCH!!

Pale Rider
05-26-2008, 06:53 PM

Buy a motorcycle.

glockmail
05-26-2008, 06:56 PM
Buy a motorcycle.
Doesn't fit my lifestyle. I always haul people and shit. I need my huge SUV.

Pale Rider
05-26-2008, 07:01 PM
Doesn't fit my lifestyle. I always haul people and shit. I need my huge SUV.

You've got every right to own your SUV, no problem... you're the one paying for the gas. I've got a huge, lifted, 4X4 myself. But if you want a cheap way to get around town, there's none better than a motorcycle.

Yurt
05-26-2008, 07:08 PM
You've got every right to own your SUV, no problem... you're the one paying for the gas. I've got a huge, lifted, 4X4 myself. But if you want a cheap way to get around town, there's none better than a motorcycle.

true. i tested one of these a few weeks ago when SLO had an "earth day" at the mission.

http://i.treehugger.com/files/th_images/ego-bike-dd-01.jpg

problem is it tops out at 27 mph...i topped it. if you live in a small town like slo though, it could work. about 2K with one battery, a little more with the second battery package. you can only go approx 40 miles on one battery though. a poly student that lives in los osos has one (yes, i have seen him on the bike numerous times) and he bought the two battery pack and that is all he uses. then again, los osos is only 13 miles from poly.... nonetheless, good idea

Pale Rider
05-26-2008, 07:12 PM
true. i tested one of these a few weeks ago when SLO had an "earth day" at the mission.

problem is it tops out at 27 mph...i topped it. if you live in a small town like slo though, it could work. about 2K with one battery, a little more with the second battery package. you can only go approx 40 miles on one battery though. a poly student that lives in los osos has one (yes, i have seen him on the bike numerous times) and he bought the two battery pack and that is all he uses. then again, los osos is only 13 miles from poly.... nonetheless, good idea

Had a conversation with the son the other night, and he said he was thinking of getting himself a little scooter too. Gas though. Some little deal with a small enough engine that he wouldn't need to license it or wear a helmet. Problem is, where do you park those things so that someone won't just "pick it up and carry away?" Seems to me those things would be so easy for some puke to steal.

Yurt
05-26-2008, 07:21 PM
Had a conversation with the son the other night, and he said he was thinking of getting himself a little scooter too. Gas though. Some little deal with a small enough engine that he wouldn't need to license it or wear a helmet. Problem is, where do you park those things so that someone won't just "pick it up and carry away?" Seems to me those things would be so easy for some puke to steal.

the electric thing comes with some kind of lock or actually, it might be a seperate purchase, but it is like a motorcycle chain if i recall....i asked the same question. platform just like a scooter

namvet
05-26-2008, 07:29 PM
in the 73 oil crisis OPEC cut our water off.

In October of 1973 Middles-eastern OPEC nations stopped exports to the US and other western nations. They meant to punish the western nations that supported Israel, their foe, in the Yom Kippur War, but they also realized the strong influence that they had on the world through oil. One of the many results of the embargo was higher oil prices all throughout the western world, particularly in America. The embargo forced America to consider many things about energy, such as the cost and supply, which up to 1973 no one had worried about

I remember the closed gas stations. and long lines. hope we don't see that again but now OPEC is trying to ram it up our ass. and break it off.

story (story)

glockmail
05-26-2008, 08:13 PM
I don't just ride around to entertain myself. I'm either at a job site (needing tools), going to the store (hauling stuff) or hauling people around. The few times I'm off by myself (like to the Y, which is only 2 miles) would never justify a second vehicle.

glockmail
05-26-2008, 08:17 PM
The other thing Pale is that my reflexes ain't what they used to be. Heck just this past Sunday I was walking down a rock at the swimming hole, my feet slid out and I landed on my elbows and ass. You should see the bruise on my right elbow and the scrapes on my left. I was on the ground before I knew what happened. And I was being very careful and paying close attention.

Yurt
05-26-2008, 09:02 PM
The other thing Pale is that my reflexes ain't what they used to be. Heck just this past Sunday I was walking down a rock at the swimming hole, my feet slid out and I landed on my elbows and ass. You should see the bruise on my right elbow and the scrapes on my left. I was on the ground before I knew what happened. And I was being very careful and paying close attention.

holy crap, you're not that old

glockmail
05-27-2008, 07:36 AM
holy crap, you're not that old 48 in August.

Classact
05-27-2008, 07:51 AM

The latter will never happen, since Big Oil controls Congress and The White House.Let's see we could sue OPEC, install windfall profits tax on big oil, nationalize big oil, build earth friendly alternative energy sources and wait. Or, we could ground all airlines and bail out all the airline unions and pay retirement plans from our tax dollars...

How about we punch some holes in the ground and develop non-food energy alternatives at the same time?

PostmodernProphet
05-27-2008, 08:43 AM
http://www.gizmag.com/pictures/6823_15020764840.jpg

I want a little scooter too....

starwolf
06-01-2008, 04:03 AM
i have an idea...could invade iraq...it has 1/3 of the worlds oil supply...and take over the oil fields...we should have real cheap gas then...:laugh2: