PDA

View Full Version : Bob Barr wins Libertarian Nomination

5stringJeff
05-26-2008, 10:06 AM
Bob Barr is the Libertarian nominee for President. I hope to see him win more than 5% of the vote.

He is a bit of a controversial nominee, from what I can tell. Many "pure" Libertarians don't like him because he's a recent convert, and during his time in the GOP, spent a lot of time and effort on things like the Patriot Act. On the other hand, Barr and his running mate (Wayne Root, whom I supported) both appeal to conservatives who are fed up with the GOP's lack of small government principles. So the LP could have a banner year, but there could also be a lot of tumult in the party as more right-libertarians join.

I, for one, am very optimistic. I will spend my time campaigning for Barr because both Obama and McCain are big-government and anti-freedom, and therefore unacceptable.

Here's Barr's stance on the issues (http://www.bobbarr2008.com/issues/) from his website. A bit vague still, but he does support the Fair Tax, for those who are familiar with it.

Mr. P
05-26-2008, 10:23 AM
Bob Barr is the Libertarian nominee for President. I hope to see him win more than 5% of the vote.

He is a bit of a controversial nominee, from what I can tell. Many "pure" Libertarians don't like him because he's a recent convert, and during his time in the GOP, spent a lot of time and effort on things like the Patriot Act. On the other hand, Barr and his running mate (Wayne Root, whom I supported) both appeal to conservatives who are fed up with the GOP's lack of small government principles. So the LP could have a banner year, but there could also be a lot of tumult in the party as more right-libertarians join.

I, for one, am very optimistic. I will spend my time campaigning for Barr because both Obama and McCain are big-government and anti-freedom, and therefore unacceptable.

Here's Barr's stance on the issues (http://www.bobbarr2008.com/issues/) from his website. A bit vague still, but he does support the Fair Tax, for those who are familiar with it.

I think he can win more than 5% of the vote. But he has no chance at winning this go round. These others have been in the face of the public for, what, two yrs? He just doesn't have the resources to overcome that in 5 months. Maybe in 2012.

82Marine89
05-26-2008, 10:26 AM
He's got my vote.

Pale Rider
05-26-2008, 11:00 AM
On "Secure our borders," he refers to illegal aliens as undocumented workers, and does not say "no amnesty," and that's the only thing someone can say that will get my vote, so for Barr doesn't have it. He sounds soft on illegals to me. I might end up voting for Ron Paul after all.

However, this is EXACTLY how I feel...

The proper use of force is clear. If attacked, the aggressor will experience firsthand the skillful wrath of the American fighting man. However, invading or initiating force against another nation based upon perceived threats and speculative intelligence is simply un-American. We are better than the policy of pre-emptive warfare.