PDA

View Full Version : Autistic kid gets voted out of class

Psychoblues
05-26-2008, 09:16 PM
The teacher led them in this pitiful ceremony. The teacher was only trying to be conservative?

"After each classmate was allowed to say what they didn't like about Barton's 5-year-old son, his Morningside Elementary teacher Wendy Portillo said they were going to take a vote, Barton said.

By a 14-2 margin, the students voted the boy, who is in the process of being diagnosed with autism, out of the class.

Melissa Barton filed a complaint with Morningside's school resource officer, who investigated the matter, Port St. Lucie Department spokeswoman Michelle Steele said. But the State Attorney's Office concluded the matter did not meet the criteria for emotional child abuse, so no criminal charges will be filed, Steele said.

Steele said the boy had been sent to the principal's office because of disciplinary issues. When he returned, Portillo made him go to the front of the room as a form of punishment, she said."

More: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/treasurecoast/sfl-flpkindergartner0525pnmay25,0,2574622.story

Baffles the hell out of me!!!!!!!!!!!

Silver
05-27-2008, 08:54 PM
The teacher was trying to be conservative???

I don't know if you're just one sick fuckin' hack or extremely stupid...:lame2:

glockmail
05-27-2008, 09:21 PM

He's both, actually.

dread
05-27-2008, 09:29 PM
He's both, actually.

no shit.....

82Marine89
05-27-2008, 10:05 PM

You forgot drunk.

manu1959
05-27-2008, 11:29 PM
sounds like an exercise in free speech and every vote being counted.....

actsnoblemartin
05-27-2008, 11:39 PM
a vote are you fucking serious, this kid should not have been kicked out. this is wrong on so many fucking levels :poke:

The teacher led them in this pitiful ceremony. The teacher was only trying to be conservative?

"After each classmate was allowed to say what they didn't like about Barton's 5-year-old son, his Morningside Elementary teacher Wendy Portillo said they were going to take a vote, Barton said.

By a 14-2 margin, the students voted the boy, who is in the process of being diagnosed with autism, out of the class.

Melissa Barton filed a complaint with Morningside's school resource officer, who investigated the matter, Port St. Lucie Department spokeswoman Michelle Steele said. But the State Attorney's Office concluded the matter did not meet the criteria for emotional child abuse, so no criminal charges will be filed, Steele said.

Steele said the boy had been sent to the principal's office because of disciplinary issues. When he returned, Portillo made him go to the front of the room as a form of punishment, she said."

More: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/treasurecoast/sfl-flpkindergartner0525pnmay25,0,2574622.story

Psychoblues
05-28-2008, 09:29 PM
So far in this quoted observation of mine I have been accused of being sick, stupid and drunk. Do you agree, martin or anyone else?

a vote are you fucking serious, this kid should not have been kicked out. this is wrong on so many fucking levels :poke:

Thanks for the genuine comment, martin. I thinketh maybe the others are sick, stupid or drunk. What do you think?

actsnoblemartin
05-28-2008, 10:38 PM
my thoughts

So far in this quoted observation of mine I have been accused of being sick, stupid and drunk. Do you agree, martin or anyone else?

im not sure what the quoted part is?, is that the part where you said, (and correct me if im wrong... )The teacher was only trying to be conservative?. If so I personally dont understand what you mean, HOWEVER...
I dont think your sick, stupid or drunk, thats just silly, and over the top.

If they asked you WHY you said or felt that way, that would be more appropriate or said you were misguided, perhaps that would be more appropriate to the situation.

Thanks for the genuine comment, martin. I thinketh maybe the others are sick, stupid or drunk. What do you think?

Dilloduck
05-28-2008, 10:40 PM

You mean you STILL can't figure out why they didn't vote for you to stay ??:laugh2:

Psychoblues
05-28-2008, 10:42 PM
I stayed anyway, dipshit.

You mean you STILL can't figure out why they didn't vote for you to stay ??:laugh2:

Only a blindsighted republican would make such a remark.

actsnoblemartin
05-28-2008, 10:44 PM
very funny :slap: wise ass :lame2:

Dilloduck
05-28-2008, 10:57 PM
very funny :slap: wise ass :lame2:

oh admit it--it was funny, Martini :laugh2:

Psychoblues
05-28-2008, 11:26 PM
Did you shit your pants when you wrote it, dd?

oh admit it--it was funny, Martini :laugh2:

My guess is that you did. But, martin is correct. :lame2:

My Winter Storm
05-29-2008, 04:38 AM
I'd sue the fucking teacher for even considering taking a frigging 'vote' and having kids say what they don't like about someone.

Nukeman
05-29-2008, 07:02 AM
Ok, heres another way of looking at this.

Since the government has mandated that we have "inclusion" in the classroom we can no longer seperate the trouble makers from the non-trouble makers. what I am saying is when I was in school, if you were a disruption they removed you from class until you could "play nice with others". This in my opinion needs to happen more often.

We are so willing to give bad behaviour a pass if the offending student has a "condition", the diagnosis of Autism has been expanded to include so much more than it once did, that even if a child has the mildest form it is being used as an excuse for rude and sometimes abusive behaviour.

Everyone is soo quick to talk about the rights of the "problem" child but what about the rights of the other children who have to put up with his/her moods and tantrums in the class room. The teacher has to take time away from all the other students to deal with ONE. that my friends is NOT FAIR to the other students. If the child has a ligitmate condition than they would benefit from a smaller class setting with a teacher that specializes in "special education".

Now this being said I DO NOT AGREE with the way the teacher handled this, however we are not in their shoes or were we present for any of the classes that caused this teacher to reach this point, keep in mind 88% of the class was tired of his behaviour.

My Winter Storm
05-29-2008, 08:14 AM
Everyone is soo quick to talk about the rights of the "problem" child but what about the rights of the other children who have to put up with his/her moods and tantrums in the class room. The teacher has to take time away from all the other students to deal with ONE. that my friends is NOT FAIR to the other students. If the child has a ligitmate condition than they would benefit from a smaller class setting with a teacher that specializes in "special education".

Now this being said I DO NOT AGREE with the way the teacher handled this, however we are not in their shoes or were we present for any of the classes that caused this teacher to reach this point, keep in mind 88% of the class was tired of his behaviour.

I think I spoke too soon, because I do agree with this. It isn't fair on the other children to have to put up with someones behavior, even it isn't their fault. The teacher certainly did the wrong thing, and should be fired over it, and the child in question perhaps could be sent to a special school, where teachers are more equppied to deal with his disorder more sufficiently?

Abbey Marie
05-29-2008, 02:46 PM
This teacher is just a rookie. If you want to see some real public humiliation, you should have seen some of the things the nuns did that I had in elementary school.

LOki
05-29-2008, 03:43 PM
The only notion more retarded than this kid's "right" to be in that classroom, is the notion that this kid's mother has some right to force her annoying kid on the children of others, disrupting their "right" to their education.

Psychoblues
06-01-2008, 03:12 AM
I had my nose broken in the 6th grade, nukeman, by a retarded kid that I was defending. I would defend him again today.

Ok, heres another way of looking at this.

Since the government has mandated that we have "inclusion" in the classroom we can no longer seperate the trouble makers from the non-trouble makers. what I am saying is when I was in school, if you were a disruption they removed you from class until you could "play nice with others". This in my opinion needs to happen more often.

We are so willing to give bad behaviour a pass if the offending student has a "condition", the diagnosis of Autism has been expanded to include so much more than it once did, that even if a child has the mildest form it is being used as an excuse for rude and sometimes abusive behaviour.

You can do your sidestep all you want, I think these very special kids need every consideration that can be given to them and I think you do as well.

Sitarro
06-01-2008, 04:05 AM
I had my nose broken in the 6th grade, nukeman, by a retarded kid that I was defending. I would defend him again today.

You can do your sidestep all you want, I think these very special kids need every consideration that can be given to them and I think you do as well.

What a surprise...... not.

Psychoblues
06-01-2008, 04:25 AM
You still side-steppin', zero?

Why am I not surprised?

Do you have any comments about the autistic kids or did you just intend to slur me and my comments? You don't have to answer that, zero, I already know the answer.

Nukeman
06-01-2008, 09:30 AM

There is no "side stepping" in any way. I stated how I feel about this issue. YOU will note I said "I do not agree with the way the teacher handled the situation". That being said this child's rights extend ONLY as far as the next child's rights begin. Where do you draw the line or distinction?

I agree that these "special" children need every consideration and sometimes that means a more, one-on-one environment. You do not NEED to have the "total inclusion" for EVERY child some do much better with more specialized care and instruction.

Do you feel it is fair for the other students in the class to have put their education on hold every time this child acts up or is a disruption.

For your information I have always been a defender of EVERY child's rights this includes all special needs and regular students. The problem is that not everyone can play nice with others.

I will add that a number of parents want their children "labeled" due to the special attention they can receive. I am not saying all parents do this but some do and they feel this gives the carte blanche to do what they want and scream "he's special you have to allow him to disrupt the class".

Nukeman
06-01-2008, 09:32 AM
You still side-steppin', zero?

Why am I not surprised?

Do you have any comments about the autistic kids or did you just intend to slur me and my comments? You don't have to answer that, zero, I already know the answer.By the by Psycho the child was not diagnosed with "autism" YET. His mother says he might have a slight case. She was still attempting to get the diagnoses, which from my experience tells me that she just hasn't found the right doctor to give her what she wants.....

Psychoblues
06-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Just what are trying to say, nm?

By the by Psycho the child was not diagnosed with "autism" YET. His mother says he might have a slight case. She was still attempting to get the diagnoses, which from my experience tells me that she just hasn't found the right doctor to give her what she wants.....

Do you think the medical community revolves around what YOU think?

actsnoblemartin
06-02-2008, 10:26 PM
cheap shot?, yes :laugh2:

Psychoblues
06-03-2008, 01:13 AM
Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!

Nukeman
06-03-2008, 06:24 AM
Just what are trying to say, nm?

Do you think the medical community revolves around what YOU think?
NO dipshit! I do think that WITHOUT a MEDICAL diagnosis the parents are pissing in the wind. that being said the mother WILL find a doctor willing to give her the diagnosis she wants for her child.

I have stated what I have to say in a much more concise manner than YOU ever do or will! For you to ask me "what I am trying to say" is completely laughable. You NEVER make sense in anything you say!:slap:

Psychoblues
06-08-2008, 10:59 PM
You did well, nm, and inclinated a comprehensive response. You failed, nm, to give anything comprehensive and I asked a simple quetion for you to tell us what you really think and you attack me.

Shame, shame, nm.

actsnoblemartin
06-09-2008, 01:26 AM
the kid shouldnt be kicked out of class, unless every other method, medication, behavior modification, therapy, all dont work.

and not by a vote.

Psychoblues
06-09-2008, 01:50 AM
If not by vote or arbitrary decision, how else would you recommend?

the kid shouldnt be kicked out of class, unless every other method, medication, behavior modification, therapy, all dont work.

and not by a vote.

I'm listening, martin!!!!!!!!!!!!

actsnoblemartin
06-09-2008, 01:52 AM
I mean by school board vote, not by the kids vote

sorry :)

:laugh2:

If not by vote or arbitrary decision, how else would you recommend?

I'm listening, martin!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues
06-09-2008, 02:32 AM
Interesting.

I mean by school board vote, not by the kids vote

sorry :)

Do you not think I know bullshit when I see it?

actsnoblemartin
06-09-2008, 02:42 AM
I have no clue what your talking about

Interesting.

Do you not think I know bullshit when I see it?

Psychoblues
06-09-2008, 03:04 AM
Why am I not surprised?

actsnoblemartin
06-09-2008, 03:34 AM
whatever dork :coffee:

:cheers2:

Why am I not surprised?

Nukeman
06-09-2008, 06:57 AM
You did well, nm, and inclinated a comprehensive response. You failed, nm, to give anything comprehensive and I asked a simple quetion for you to tell us what you really think and you attack me.

Shame, shame, nm.
See post #23 if you want how I feel! If you can't understand that than there is nothing more I can do for you!

Psychoblues
06-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Jeeeeesus Christ, nm, I SAW IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See post #23 if you want how I feel! If you can't understand that than there is nothing more I can do for you!

You aren't into satire are you? Humor me and say "Yes".

DragonStryk72
06-11-2008, 12:38 AM

Perhaps the child was too much of a discipline problem to keep in class, I'm willing to go with that. However, we're talking 4-5 year kids, that teacher had no business putting the burden of her responsibilities on her shoulder. It was cowardly, and no way to treat the child. Can you imagine being told that almost no kids want you in class? I mean, that's just fucked up.

However, Psycho, you started this little thing running by trying to put this as a conservative/liberal argument, when, in no way did this speak to either liberal or conservative values. This spoke toward being a good teacher or a shitty teacher, and by throwing the lib/con argument in, you painted conservatives, myself included, as supporting this, and you don't think we were insulted by this?

Psychoblues
06-11-2008, 01:10 AM
I fully intended to insult conservatives, DS'72. This is thier methodology for teaching. I tend towards a more moderate approach.

Perhaps the child was too much of a discipline problem to keep in class, I'm willing to go with that. However, we're talking 4-5 year kids, that teacher had no business putting the burden of her responsibilities on her shoulder. It was cowardly, and no way to treat the child. Can you imagine being told that almost no kids want you in class? I mean, that's just fucked up.

However, Psycho, you started this little thing running by trying to put this as a conservative/liberal argument, when, in no way did this speak to either liberal or conservative values. This spoke toward being a good teacher or a shitty teacher, and by throwing the lib/con argument in, you painted conservatives, myself included, as supporting this, and you don't think we were insulted by this?

The very best learning that I can remember in my days in grammer school was in the classes of teachers that made some attempt to teach me rather than dicipline me. Were your experiences different?

actsnoblemartin
06-11-2008, 01:25 AM
positive reenforcement always works better then negative reinforcement

I fully intended to insult conservatives, DS'72. This is thier methodology for teaching. I tend towards a more moderate approach.

The very best learning that I can remember in my days in grammer school was in the classes of teachers that made some attempt to teach me rather than dicipline me. Were your experiences different?

Psychoblues
06-11-2008, 01:55 AM
Just what do you refer as "negative reinforcement", Dynamo?

positive reenforcement always works better then negative reinforcement

I always refer to "negative" as below zero. So much for my physics education.

mrg666
06-11-2008, 02:15 AM
He's both, actually.

:salute:

mrg666
06-11-2008, 02:18 AM

thats not the issue
if you dont get it i suggest you go back to your grammer school and get educated by some "conservatives ".
first the libs are too soft ahahahhaah

Psychoblues
06-11-2008, 02:22 AM
OK, antichrist, spell it out for us,,,,,,,,or at least me, OK?

:salute:

You obviously have something that you want to share. Share it or shut the fuck up, OK?

Psychoblues
06-11-2008, 02:27 AM
Don't tell me, 666, you got taped to your chair by a Nazi and you're still traumatized from it?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!?!

thats not the issue
if you dont get it i suggest you go back to your grammer school and get educated by some "conservatives ".
first the libs are too soft ahahahhaah

I suggest you get to know me before you attack me, 666. I can't help it if your grammer school mistreated you. Maybe you should have attended a more societally oriented institution for elementary education? Think so?