PDA

View Full Version : You people are going to LOVE this one

gabosaurus
05-28-2008, 11:53 AM
My husband was talking about a call he got at work late Tuesday. The family that bought the house a couple of lots down from ours is moving in this weekend.
The husband and wife are both doctors. They are Iranian. Perhaps I can get them a prayer rug as a welcoming gift.

We are rapidly collecting cool neighbors. The corner lot is owned (but not yet occupied) by an incredibly wealthy black guy. He has numerous other properties and homes. Our real estate agent says he has a daughter about the same age as mine, so that will be a plus.
The people who live across the street have a son and daughter, but both are under five. So we need some older kids.

Trigg
05-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Why would we love this?????

Have you met the new neighbors, are they nice??

Just because people are wealthy doesn't make them good people, all I have to do it look at the people behind me to know this.

gabosaurus
05-28-2008, 12:11 PM
What if they are practicing Muslims? Would you be open to that? Would you let your kids go down there?

hjmick
05-28-2008, 12:13 PM
What if they are practicing Muslims? Would you be open to that? Would you let your kids go down there?

Why not?

Trigg
05-28-2008, 12:19 PM

You mean to say that you think everyone on this board are a bunch of racists. You really don't know anyone here well enough to make that assumption.

I'll let you in on a few things

1. My husband's best friend from high school is Lebanese
2. My cousin is half Mexian
3. My husband has a Mexican Aunt and Korean Aunt

Just because people here don't like ILLEGAL immigrants who sneak into this country and steal identities doesn't' mean we have anything at all against LEGAL immigrants.

Why do you have such a hard time getting your brain around that?????????

As for your question. I have not met any Muslims, yet. My niece is getting ready to marry an Iranian who's mother is Muslim -he is Christian. I would treat new neighbors as I do others on a person-to-person basis. Maybe the people here aren't a bigoted as you seem to think.

hjmick
05-28-2008, 12:32 PM

Some of my wife and my best friends are Lebanese. Their sons fought in the streets during the civil war, I think they lost one during that fifteen year batlle. They are some of the nicest people I have ever met. We spend every Christmas eve with them. I can't eat all day bacause all they want to do is feed us. Food everywhere. I don't eat for days after. My only complaint is that they switch from English to French to Arabic all during the course of one conversation. I don't speak French or Arabic.

Trigg
05-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Some of my wife and my best friends are Lebanese. Their sons fought in the streets during the civil war, I think they lost one during that fifteen year batlle. They are some of the nicest people I have ever met. We spend every Christmas eve with them. I can't eat all day bacause all they want to do is feed us. Food everywhere. I don't eat for days after. My only complaint is that they switch from English to French to Arabic all during the course of one conversation. I don't speak French or Arabic.

Our friend was born here. Can't say that I've ever eaten at his parents house, but they are great people. My husband does talk about the Lebanese "tobacco" that his friend's dad always had.

Trigg
05-28-2008, 12:44 PM

What if their assholes. Would you let your child play at their house.

Just because they're Iranian doesn't mean they're Muslim. Would that make them less cool in your eyes??????

You seem to be basing your "cool neighborhood" idea on the fact that you have neighbors who arn't white. I would suggest you base your oppinions on whether people are nice rather than on what color or religion they are.

theHawk
05-28-2008, 12:44 PM
My husband was talking about a call he got at work late Tuesday. The family that bought the house a couple of lots down from ours is moving in this weekend.
The husband and wife are both doctors. They are Iranian. Perhaps I can get them a prayer rug as a welcoming gift.

We are rapidly collecting cool neighbors. The corner lot is owned (but not yet occupied) by an incredibly wealthy black guy. He has numerous other properties and homes. Our real estate agent says he has a daughter about the same age as mine, so that will be a plus.
The people who live across the street have a son and daughter, but both are under five. So we need some older kids.

Sounds to me like you're the racist one assuming they are Muslims. And better yet, you're willing to bend over backwards to accomodate them if they are by buying them a "prayer rug". Did you buy the black guy a watermelon?

hjmick
05-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Our friend was born here. Can't say that I've ever eaten at his parents house, but they are great people. My husband does talk about the Lebanese "tobacco" that his friend's dad always had.

The flavored tobacco for the houka! I love that stuff! LOL. We sit around the houka every Christmas eve too, I don't know how I forgot that. Smoking the houka is a very social activity. They love their houka.

hjmick
05-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Sounds to me like you're the racist one assuming they are Muslims. And better yet, you're willing to bend over backwards to accomodate them if they are by buying them a "prayer rug". Did you buy the black guy a watermelon?

KFC.

Trigg
05-28-2008, 12:55 PM
The flavored tobacco for the houka! I love that stuff! LOL. We sit around the houka every Christmas eve too, I don't know how I forgot that. Smoking the houka is a very social activity. They love their houka.

Ya, hubby used to love going over there and sitting with them.

They don't do that anymore though his dad has Alzheimer's and is not in a very good place right now.

Little-Acorn
05-28-2008, 12:57 PM
They're Iranians who apparently decided that the US was a better place to live than Iran, and who managed to get here, legally I assume. That's two huge points in their favor.

So what if they're practicing Muslims? Most practicing Muslims are peaceful, decent folks who just want to live their lives, raise their kids, etc. It's the minority who DON'T want that, whom you read about in the paper. Any reason to think your neighbors are in the minority rather than the majority?

glockmail
05-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Gabs is about to get a lesson that no matter what their ethnicity they are still neighbors, and thus a crap-shoot. Just because you're wealthy and black, or from the Middle East, doesn’t make you cool. Black Preacher Man down the street is never seen, even by his next door neighbors never mind me. Black school principal cuts his grass once a month, whether it needs it or not, and has never painted his doors or windows. Chinese couple PhD's are friendly, if you can understand them, but their Mexican restaurant owner drove his SL450 into my neighbors mail box (hit and run) then over southern Car Dealer’s poodle (seen in vivid Technicolor by 7 year old daughter). Yankee mom tosses her cigarette butts on my lawn for the past 6 years after her son vandalized my yard, and Jewish Judge got the Sheriff to visit.

People are people Gabs.

gabosaurus
05-28-2008, 01:38 PM
So what if they're practicing Muslims? Most practicing Muslims are peaceful, decent folks who just want to live their lives, raise their kids, etc. It's the minority who DON'T want that, whom you read about in the paper. Any reason to think your neighbors are in the minority rather than the majority?

This is certainly a change. Aren't all Muslims our enemies? Aren't they all conspiring with Osama to overthrow America? Don't they all send money directly to AQ?

A lot of you love to jump to conclusions. Or perhaps you just can't read and comprehend.

What if they are practicing Muslims?

The point I wanted to make is about teaching diversity to my daughter. I don't choose my neighbors. This is a new development. Families move in, one by one, and I find out who they are.

This is sure a backtracking lot...

dan
05-28-2008, 01:39 PM
They are Iranian.

The corner lot is owned (but not yet occupied) by an incredibly wealthy black guy.

No wonder houses are so cheap!

Trigg
05-28-2008, 01:45 PM
This is certainly a change. Aren't all Muslims our enemies? Aren't they all conspiring with Osama to overthrow America? Don't they all send money directly to AQ?

A lot of you love to jump to conclusions. Or perhaps you just can't read and comprehend.

The point I wanted to make is about teaching diversity to my daughter. I don't choose my neighbors. This is a new development. Families move in, one by one, and I find out who they are.

You seem to be the one jumping to conclusions.

Your new neighbors are cool because they're black and a different religion.

The point you were wanting to make is that we're all racists and would be upset if we had neighbors who are different from us. You get your oppinions because many here are against ILLEGAL immigration.

Looks like things didn't go your way since most here don't live in gated white only communities and *gasp* we also might have friends and family members who arn't white.

Trigg
05-28-2008, 01:47 PM
If the only point you were trying to make was about diversity you wouldn't have titled the thread.

You people are going to love this

gabosaurus
05-28-2008, 01:49 PM
I didn't say they were "cool." You made that assessment. I haven't met them yet.

And I titled the thread what I did to appeal to the rampant racial and religious animosity that is so common in this forum.

hjmick
05-28-2008, 01:55 PM

As far as I can tell, those of us who have responded to your opening post are not backtracking at all. I think you have merely lumped all conservative members in with those whose views on race relations and religious diversity are perhaps extreme.

Abbey Marie
05-28-2008, 01:56 PM
I didn't say they were "cool." You made that assessment. I haven't met them yet.

:dunno:
Sorry, Gab, it had to be done!

Trigg
05-28-2008, 02:02 PM

:clap::clap::clap::laugh2:

Little-Acorn
05-28-2008, 02:43 PM
I titled the thread what I did to appeal to the rampant racial and religious animosity that is so common in this forum.

In other words, it's other people's fault Gabby is making racist innuendoes in this thread. :lame2:

Little-Acorn
05-28-2008, 02:49 PM

What a weird post. I've always held the views I described, and have expounded on them many times here. Or do you mean this is a change for YOU?

Sounds like you've been beating the I-hate-all-conservatives drum so much, you've started to believe your own lies about them. I'm glad this thread has helped jolt you back a little closer to reality... if it has.

theHawk
05-28-2008, 04:11 PM
The point I wanted to make is about teaching diversity to my daughter.
Why don't you just marry her to a black muslim to 'teach her diversity', then you can raise your own little Obamas.

stephanie
05-28-2008, 04:19 PM
This thread was stupid from the get go.

I just shake my head.
:lame2:

gabosaurus
05-28-2008, 04:25 PM

Well....If I was RSR, I would change the subject and pretend the whole thing never happened.
But I'm not (thank God!) and it did.

Upon further review, I admit to phrasing the whole thing awkwardly. This is not one of my more brilliantly conceived threads.

I plead blondness. Next topic please!

Little-Acorn
05-28-2008, 04:30 PM
This thread was stupid from the get go.

I just shake my head.
:lame2:

If I used opening stupidity as a criterion, I'd have to ignore 3/4 of the threads on this forum.

As it is, I ignore about 2/3 of them. Occasionally one with a title that doesn't reveal the contents of the thread like this one, even by a known-stupid author, gets me to click on it. What can I say?

:coffee:

stephanie
05-28-2008, 04:35 PM
If I used opening stupidity as a criterion, I'd have to ignore 3/4 of the threads on this forum.

As it is, I ignore about 2/3 of them. Occasionally one with a title that doesn't reveal the contents of the thread like this one, even by a known-stupid author, gets me to click on it. What can I say?

:coffee:

Now I'm scratching my head.....

:laugh2:

gabosaurus
05-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Occasionally one with a title that doesn't reveal the contents of the thread like this one, even by a known-stupid author, gets me to click on it. What can I say?

That's a terrible thing to say about Stephanie... :no:

stephanie
05-28-2008, 04:49 PM
That's a terrible thing to say about Stephanie... :no:

:cow:

gabosaurus
05-28-2008, 04:53 PM
:cow:

Is that all? I figured I would be in for worse than that...

05-28-2008, 05:44 PM
I'm still not sure why one would conclude that because someone is Iranian they are muslim. I know Iranians who are Christian, Zoroastrian, Bahai, etc. I am just not following the logic here. Nor am i really certain why it matters.

Abbey Marie
05-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Well....If I was RSR, I would change the subject and pretend the whole thing never happened.

Upon further review, I admit to phrasing the whole thing awkwardly. This is not one of my more brilliantly conceived threads.

I plead blondness. Next topic please!

Here's to you, G. :beer: If only we had more people on here who can admit when they are wrong, we might have more good debates.

82Marine89
05-28-2008, 07:19 PM

My sister and her girlfriend are lebanese. :laugh2:

dread
05-28-2008, 09:10 PM

You are an arrogant elitist fucking twat!

Dilloduck
05-28-2008, 09:48 PM

na--she really IS better than us----be grateful she graces us with her presence because we're all dumb racists and she lowers herself to educate us.:bow3:

dread
05-28-2008, 10:24 PM
na--she really IS better than us----be grateful she graces us with her presence because we're all dumb racists and she lowers herself to educate us.:bow3:

FUCK THAT!

She can go practice her psychobabble disingenuous bullshit elsewhere.

Sitarro
05-29-2008, 12:07 AM
My sister and her girlfriend are lebanese. :laugh2:

I would have thought they were lesbianese.:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Psychoblues
05-29-2008, 12:17 AM
What's a "twat", dead?

You have already told me about the one you have but just exactly what is a "twat"?

dread
05-29-2008, 12:20 AM
What's a "twat", dead?

You have already told me about the one you have but just exactly what is a "twat"?

If you can stand up long enough from your drunken haze maybe you could take a look in the mirror and figure it out on your own.

Psychoblues
05-29-2008, 01:23 AM
Your word, dead dipshit.

If you can stand up long enough from your drunken haze maybe you could take a look in the mirror and figure it out on your own.

Are you so stoned that you can't answer a simple question without insulting the inquisitive?

What's a "twat"? Simple question, I thought. Do you find it difficult to answer?

Pale Rider
05-29-2008, 01:38 AM
Your word, dead dipshit.

Are you so stoned that you can't answer a simple question without insulting the inquisitive?

What's a "twat"? Simple question, I thought. Do you find it difficult to answer?

psychoblues = twat.

You're dismissed.

Psychoblues
05-29-2008, 01:56 AM
Pale Rider = Taint.

psychoblues = twat.

You're dismissed.

Tain't pussy, tain't ass, tain't anything important.

Psychoblues = twat no idiot can understand.

Thanks for the compliment, pr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You still on your neg rep kick?

05-29-2008, 07:13 AM
Pale Rider = Taint.

Tain't pussy, tain't ass, tain't anything important.

Psychoblues = twat no idiot can understand.

Thanks for the compliment, pr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You still on your neg rep kick?

no idiot may be able to understand it, but the rest of us do.

glockmail
05-29-2008, 08:14 AM

I plead blondness. Next topic please! Methinks this is the story of your life.

gabosaurus
05-29-2008, 11:40 AM

Guilty as charged. So what?

We are Lebanese if you please
We are Lebanese if you don't please