PDA

View Full Version : Hezbollah a bigger threat????

namvet
05-29-2008, 09:59 AM
JERUSALEM — Homeland Security chief Michael Chertoff warned Thursday that the radical Islamic group Hezbollah "makes Al Qaeda look like a minor league team," and poses the greatest threat to national security.

source (source)

well now the minor leaguer's pulled off the biggest attack on American soil. not sure I agree with this

red states rule
05-29-2008, 10:01 AM
source (source)

well now the minor leaguer's pulled off the biggest attack on American soil. not sure I agree with this

Only is the Grand Appeaser Obama wins in November will they become a bigger threat

They know damn well Obama will stick his head in the sand, and do nothing to stop their terrorists activities

Which is how Obama will deal with all terrorists, and America's enemies

namvet
05-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Only is the Grand Appeaser Obama wins in November will they become a bigger threat

They know damn well Obama will stick his head in the sand, and do nothing to stop their terrorists activities

Which is how Obama will deal with all terrorists, and America's enemies

can you feature the football following this clown around????? scary

red states rule
05-29-2008, 11:10 AM
can you feature the football following this clown around????? scary

I would feel sorry for the guy who carries to football - having to be with Obama 24/7

No pay is enough to be around the stupid racist bastard 24/7

mundame
05-29-2008, 01:49 PM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">JERUSALEM — Homeland Security chief Michael Chertoff warned Thursday that the radical Islamic group Hezbollah "makes Al Qaeda look like a minor league team," and poses the greatest threat to national security.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Oh, my. We must be getting close to having an election, since Chertoff is starting up the scare tactics again.

Never mind that absolutely no terror attacks on America are occurring by ANYone, much less Hezbollah: gotta scare America into voting Rightwing, the more losing wars the better, I guess disinformation and propaganda against America is in his job description.

Chertoff: The Living Skull.

red states rule
05-29-2008, 02:06 PM
Oh, my. We must be getting close to having an election, since Chertoff is starting up the scare tactics again.

Never mind that absolutely no terror attacks on America are occurring by ANYone, much less Hezbollah: gotta scare America into voting Rightwing, the more losing wars the better, I guess disinformation and propaganda against America is in his job description.

Chertoff: The Living Skull.

Do you call rockets flying into Israel, homicide bombers blowing up pizza parlors, or people bing gunned down at funerals - "scare tactics"?

Mundame, if we get hit again like we did on 9-11 you will be the first one to blame Pres Bush, and demand why he did not protect the country. Even though you are part of the anti war left who thinks we have nothing to fear from terrorists, and want to stop fighting them

mundame
05-29-2008, 02:13 PM
Do you call rockets flying into Israel, homicide bombers blowing up pizza parlors, or people bing gunned down at funerals - "scare tactics"?

Ummmmmm, RSR, Israel is not close enough to either Maryland OR Pennsylvania for the Hezbollah attacks to be attacks on America. Geography, geography. I recommend a globe: the kind that shows the mountains in relief are good.

Mundame, if we get hit again like we did on 9-11 you will be the first one to blame Pres Bush, and demand why he did not protect the country. Even though you are part of the anti war left who thinks we have nothing to fear from terrorists, and want to stop fighting them

You better believe I'll blame Bush!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For this:

1) for not bothering to hunt down and kill bin Laden, who will doubtless be behind such an attack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2) for lying us into war that did no good and then not bothering to win them

3) for not securing the Mexican border

4) for trying to get Dubai, an enemy emirate, to run all our East Coast ports so terrorism would be cheap and quick and easy to just ship right into the Port of Baltimore!!!

5) for breaking our Army so that if we ARE attacked, we cannot now fight back effectively: and how do I know we can't? Because we haven't been fighting effectively for five years!

6) for letting Iran nuke up and all the other countries in the Mideast start buying nukes from North Korea (oh, and because he screwed up dealing with NK, too) so that now we have nuke attacks to worry about.

If we get attacked again , the whole entire country will blame Bush for gross malfeasance of duty, except for you and Sitarro, RSR.

red states rule
05-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Ummmmmm, RSR, Israel is not close enough to either Maryland OR Pennsylvania for the Hezbollah attacks to be attacks on America. Geography, geography. I recommend a globe: the kind that shows the mountains in relief are good.

You better believe I'll blame Bush!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For this:

1) for not bothering to hunt down and kill bin Laden, who will doubtless be behind such an attack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2) for lying us into war that did no good and then not bothering to win them

3) for not securing the Mexican border

4) for trying to get Dubai, an enemy emirate, to run all our East Coast ports so terrorism would be cheap and quick and easy to just ship right into the Port of Baltimore!!!

5) for breaking our Army so that if we ARE attacked, we cannot now fight back effectively: and how do I know we can't? Because we haven't been fighting effectively for five years!

6) for letting Iran nuke up and all the other countries in the Mideast start buying nukes from North Korea (oh, and because he screwed up dealing with NK, too) so that now we have nuke attacks to worry about.

If we get attacked again , the whole entire country will blame Bush for gross malfeasance of duty, except for you and Sitarro, RSR.

and yet appeasers like you, who have undermined the war effort, opposed hunting down the terrorists, oppesed listening to their phone calls, opposed interogation tactics, opposed funding the troops - if we are attacked you are not to blame?

Yep, appeasers wnat it both ways. They oppose the troops, the war, and going after terrorists, but they assume no responsibility for the results of their actions

mundame
05-29-2008, 02:25 PM
and yet appeasers like you, who have undermined the war effort, opposed hunting down the terrorists, oppesed listening to their phone calls, opposed interogation tactics, opposed funding the troops - if we are attacked you are not to blame?

Not like me.

I WANT the terrorists hunted down. I hate that Bush let him run and has never bothered to catch bin Laden. I think that's pretty seriously rotten, not to mention extremely dangerous to the country, and if bin Laden strikes us again, it WILL be Bush's fault.

I don't mind the phone wiretapping. I'm not a privacy advocate: I'm a woman, so I want universal DNA cataloging so we'll know who commits crimes. Wiretapping is fine with me. Rule of law would be nice, of course, but I suppose that's way too much to ask of this benighted administration.

Certainly terror suspects should be interrogated.

Never tortured, however, because nothing is worse in this world than torture. Just shoot them in the head, don't torture them. Are we Americans, or are we the Spanish Inquisition or the KGB?

red states rule
05-29-2008, 02:28 PM
Not like me.

I WANT the terrorists hunted down. I hate that Bush let him run and has never bothered to catch bin Laden. I think that's pretty seriously rotten, not to mention extremely dangerous to the country, and if bin Laden strikes us again, it WILL be Bush's fault.

I don't mind the phone wiretapping. I'm not a privacy advocate: I'm a woman, so I want universal DNA cataloging so we'll know who commits crimes. Wiretapping is fine with me. Rule of law would be nice, of course, but I suppose that's way too much to ask of this benighted administration.

Certainly terror suspects should be interrogated.

Never tortured, however, because nothing is worse in this world than torture. Just shoot them in the head, don't torture them. Are we Americans, or are we the Spanish Inquisition or the KGB?

If you want terrorists hunted down, why do you refuse to accept the fact AQ has been defeated in Iraq?

What torture have the poor little terrorists been subjected to?

mundame
05-29-2008, 02:31 PM
If you want terrorists hunted down, why do you refuse to accept the fact AQ has been defeated in Iraq?

If that were a fact, they wouldn't be launching 300 attacks a week still.

And shelling the Green Zone daily.

And detonating IEDs under all our troop carriers.

It's actions like that which spell "war," not victory. If we'd won, they wouldn't still be fighting, you know?

red states rule
05-29-2008, 02:33 PM
If that were a fact, they wouldn't be launching 300 attacks a week still.

And detonating IEDs under all our troop carriers.

It's actions like that which spell "war," not victory. If we'd won, they wouldn't still be fighting, you know?

So while there are still terrorists in Iraq you want to leave

Yep. that will defeat them in a hurry :rolleyes:

You would have been a hoot during D-Day. When the going gets tough - you want to get going

mundame
05-29-2008, 02:38 PM
You would have been a hoot during D-Day. When the going gets tough - you want to get going

We did get going; we defeated the world's best military, the German War Machine, inside four years.

Bush's troops can't defeat ragged guerrilla's wearing white nightgowns and waving cellphones, even after five years. And he never will be able to: we've given it a good try. It was a dead war as of late 2004, IMO.

The troops are getting PTSD and suciding and beating their wives and children to death and the burns and explosions strip all the skin off their heads and bodies and yet they live...........................

What are we getting out of all this?

Nothing but tragedy and verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry strange people running for president because the normal president types have been so discredited.

We cannot move off this dime until this war ends. We are dead in the water till this war ends!

red states rule
05-29-2008, 02:39 PM
We did get going; we defeated the world's best military, the German War Machine, inside four years.

Bush's troops can't defeat ragged guerrilla's wearing white nightgowns and waving cellphones, even after five years. And he never will be able to: we've given it a good try. It was a dead war as of late 2004, IMO.

The troops are getting PTSD and suciding and beating their wives and children to death and the burns and explosions strip all the skin off their heads and bodies and yet they live...........................

Nothing but tragedy and verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry strange people running for president because the normal president types have been so discredited.

We cannot move off this dime until this war ends. We are dead in the water till this war ends!

I can't beleive you are this dense - but you are. People like you are the best allies the terrorists have. You will not accept facts, and you let your hate think for you

I do pity you

Yurt
05-29-2008, 03:10 PM

fighting designated soldiers like the germans are vastly different that fighting non-uniform folks that blend in with civilians.....maybe you think we should just wage all out war against the civilians of iraq...

PostmodernProphet
05-29-2008, 03:47 PM
source (source)

makes sense to me....Hezbollah is poised to take over Lebanon again.....

mundame
05-29-2008, 03:47 PM
maybe you think we should just wage all out war against the civilians of iraq...

No, why bother? Just bring the troops home.

Saddam's dead.

Fighting serves no purpose now.

Gaffer
05-29-2008, 05:50 PM
There have never been 300 attacks a day going on in iraq. The green zone is not under constant fire. The area that the firing was coming from has been cleared out. mundame, your reading too much kos, du and huffyshit. You need to find some real news sources.

bin laden is either in pakistan or iran. In either case we can't go in after him at this time. He is also just a figure head and not of any strategic importance. saddam was captured. Did the fighting stop when he was? No, others stepped up to take his place. zarqowi was killed in an airstrike, did AQI disband and give up, no someone else stepped up to take his place. There's always and asshole in the wings waiting to replace an asshole.

There's actually more action going on in afgan than there is in iraq right now. But you wouldn't know about that cause you don't read what's really going on over there. The msm ignores it and so do the leftist bloggers.

We are at war with islam. It's going to be a very long war. Running away from a front in that war is not going to end it any sooner. It's been going on since 1979 with roots going back even farther. You haven't seen anything yet. Wait till the real killing really gets started.

Kathianne
05-29-2008, 06:26 PM
If that were a fact, they wouldn't be launching 300 attacks a week still. Link please.

And detonating IEDs under all our troop carriers. link please.

:link:

Yurt
05-29-2008, 06:29 PM
:link:

he or she does not deal with facts well

Kathianne
05-29-2008, 06:54 PM
There have never been 300 attacks a day going on in iraq. The green zone is not under constant fire. The area that the firing was coming from has been cleared out. mundame, your reading too much kos, du and huffyshit. You need to find some real news sources.

bin laden is either in pakistan or iran. In either case we can't go in after him at this time. He is also just a figure head and not of any strategic importance. saddam was captured. Did the fighting stop when he was? No, others stepped up to take his place. zarqowi was killed in an airstrike, did AQI disband and give up, no someone else stepped up to take his place. There's always and asshole in the wings waiting to replace an asshole.

There's actually more action going on in afgan than there is in iraq right now. But you wouldn't know about that cause you don't read what's really going on over there. The msm ignores it and so do the leftist bloggers.

We are at war with islam. It's going to be a very long war. Running away from a front in that war is not going to end it any sooner. It's been going on since 1979 with roots going back even farther. You haven't seen anything yet. Wait till the real killing really gets started.
Gawd darn it, rep worthy 2X, but alas, none available.

Gaffer
05-29-2008, 07:02 PM
Gawd darn it, rep worthy 2X, but alas, none available.

:clap: will suffice.

namvet
05-29-2008, 07:03 PM

your right. if we listen to YOUR fuckin' media

Px_XBJHrs4I

have a rotten life asshat............

red states rule
05-29-2008, 07:07 PM
and if Gen Patton were alive what he would tell appeasers like Mundame

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xyUX6wV1lBQ&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xyUX6wV1lBQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

mundame
05-29-2008, 07:57 PM
We are at war with islam. It's going to be a very long war.

Apparently so, at least if John McCain is elected. First we have to fight for decades and then occupy them for a hundred years? Not very attractive.

It wouldn't be a long war if we stopped fighting; we're the only ones carrying on with it. If we stopped, they wouldn't invade us: they haven't, in all these years since 9/11, though we've invaded all over the place in the Wonderful World of Islam.

At this point, we're the only ones causing the trouble. How about if we just stopped?

red states rule
05-29-2008, 08:01 PM
Apparently so, at least if John McCain is elected. First we have to fight for decades and then occupy them for a hundred years? Not very attractive.

It wouldn't be a long war if we stopped fighting; we're the only ones carrying on with it. If we stopped, they wouldn't invade us: they haven't, in all these years since 9/11, though we've invaded all over the place in the Wonderful World of Islam.

At this point, we're the only ones causing the trouble. How about if we just stopped?

So you think surrendner will stop the terrorists from wanting us dead, and trying to attack us here in the US?

namvet
05-29-2008, 08:07 PM

they haven't, in all these years since 9/11

now why is that i wonder?????

namvet
05-29-2008, 08:08 PM
So you think surrendner will stop the terrorists from wanting us dead, and trying to attack us here in the US?

yes. he does.

red states rule
05-29-2008, 08:09 PM
now why is that i wonder?????

Mundame should run out and buy this new perfume

namvet
05-29-2008, 08:11 PM
Mundame should run out and buy this new perfume

no he needs to get in the repair shop. he's blown a head gasket.

red states rule
05-29-2008, 08:14 PM
no he needs to get in the repair shop. he's blown a head gasket.

Or use some duct tape and wrap it around his/her head to kepp it from exploding

Yurt
05-29-2008, 08:18 PM

that has to be one of the most intellectually dishonest statements i have ever read :poke:

namvet
05-29-2008, 08:22 PM
Or use some duct tape and wrap it around his/her head to kepp it from exploding

to late. he need a new set

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3f/Gaskets.jpg/437px-Gaskets.jpg

mundame
05-29-2008, 08:22 PM
There have never been 300 attacks a day going on in iraq. The green zone is not under constant fire.

Certainly the Green Zone is under daily fire; it has been reported constantly. Google is your friend.

I said 300 attacks a week are happening now in Iraq when we are supposed to have "won" -------- 300 attacks a week by the enemy does not happen if you have won! this was reported last week in the news --- these clips from Google News today are as close as I can get to it, but I think they will suffice.

Violence has fallen to its lowest level since 2004, measured by "attacks" per week by militants. Last week the coalition reported only 300 incidents countrywide, a steep drop from 1,200 per week last June at the peak of the surge.
http://www.thespectrum.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080529/OPINION/805290324

• 300 violent incidents were recorded in Iraq over a 7-day period last week, according to the Los Angeles Times. This tally is down from a high of 1,600 during one week in June and represents the lowest level of violence since 2004.
http://www.pasadenaweekly.com/cms/story/detail/the_count/6007/

BAGHDAD (Agencies): Violence across Iraq hit a four-year low last week and US and Iraqi military operations have al-Qaeda on the run, the US military said on Sunday, but warned the jihadists remained a lethal threat. "Iraqi-wide we have seen a significant reduction in violence in the past week," US military spokesman Rear Admiral Patrick Driscoll told reporters, adding: "Security incidents decreased to a level not seen since March 2004." He said the US internal system of monitoring violence levels showed a significant decrease in the number of incidents. Driscoll said he could not immediately give figures for how many people had been killed or wounded across the country in the past week and how closely these compared with March 2004 levels. But he added that the number of incidents had declined by 70 percent since the US increased its troop presence last year with "surge operations" which saw an extra 30,000 soldiers brought in to curb sectarian violence.

Al-Qaeda still posed a serious challenge to American and Iraqi security forces and had the ability to stage deadly suicide bombings and fuel sectarian violence that has claimed a heavy toll, he said. "First of all it remains a lethal threat. They no longer control large swathes of territory. They don’t control cities, but they are still out there. They are still capable of doing their high profile attacks," Driscoll said. His remarks came a day after the US ambassador in Iraq, Ryan Crocker, said he believed that the security forces had got closer than ever to defeating al-Qaeda. "I am not saying al-Qaeda is defeated, but they have never been so close to being defeated," Crocker said. Driscoll said on Sunday that combined military operations by US and Iraqi forces had put al-Qaeda to flight, but they could bounce back.
http://www.arabtimesonline.com/client/pagesdetails.asp?nid=17433&ccid=11

In other examples, he said that, in Afghanistan, 300 civilians had been killed in the first four months of 2008 in attacks by so-called "anti-Government elements", the majority in suicide attacks. Similarly, in Iraq, suicide attacks continued to be used with chilling effect, while members of professional and religious groups, the media and Government officials were targeted for assassination and abduction. In both those contexts, he also remained concerned by civilian casualties resulting from air strikes and search operations conducted by national and multinational forces, as well as the number of so-called "force protection incidents", in which civilians were shot at after being considered a threat to military convoys or for not obeying instructions at checkpoints.
http://7thspace.com/headlines/282452/meeting_in_progress_security_council_on_protection _of_civilians_in_armed_conflict.html

red states rule
05-29-2008, 08:25 PM
Here is a great T shirt she can wear with pride

Kathianne
05-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Certainly the Green Zone is under daily fire; it has been reported constantly. Google is your friend.

I said 300 attacks a week are happening now in Iraq when we are supposed to have "won" -------- 300 attacks a week by the enemy does not happen if you have won! this was reported last week in the news --- these clips from Google News today are as close as I can get to it, but I think they will suffice.

Violence has fallen to its lowest level since 2004, measured by "attacks" per week by militants. Last week the coalition reported only 300 incidents countrywide, a steep drop from 1,200 per week last June at the peak of the surge.
http://www.thespectrum.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080529/OPINION/805290324

• 300 violent incidents were recorded in Iraq over a 7-day period last week, according to the Los Angeles Times. This tally is down from a high of 1,600 during one week in June and represents the lowest level of violence since 2004.

BAGHDAD (Agencies): Violence across Iraq hit a four-year low last week and US and Iraqi military operations have al-Qaeda on the run, the US military said on Sunday, but warned the jihadists remained a lethal threat. "Iraqi-wide we have seen a significant reduction in violence in the past week," US military spokesman Rear Admiral Patrick Driscoll told reporters, adding: "Security incidents decreased to a level not seen since March 2004." He said the US internal system of monitoring violence levels showed a significant decrease in the number of incidents. Driscoll said he could not immediately give figures for how many people had been killed or wounded across the country in the past week and how closely these compared with March 2004 levels. But he added that the number of incidents had declined by 70 percent since the US increased its troop presence last year with "surge operations" which saw an extra 30,000 soldiers brought in to curb sectarian violence.

Al-Qaeda still posed a serious challenge to American and Iraqi security forces and had the ability to stage deadly suicide bombings and fuel sectarian violence that has claimed a heavy toll, he said. "First of all it remains a lethal threat. They no longer control large swathes of territory. They don’t control cities, but they are still out there. They are still capable of doing their high profile attacks," Driscoll said. His remarks came a day after the US ambassador in Iraq, Ryan Crocker, said he believed that the security forces had got closer than ever to defeating al-Qaeda. "I am not saying al-Qaeda is defeated, but they have never been so close to being defeated," Crocker said. Driscoll said on Sunday that combined military operations by US and Iraqi forces had put al-Qaeda to flight, but they could bounce back.
http://www.arabtimesonline.com/client/pagesdetails.asp?nid=17433&ccid=11

In other examples, he said that, in Afghanistan, 300 civilians had been killed in the first four months of 2008 in attacks by so-called "anti-Government elements", the majority in suicide attacks. Similarly, in Iraq, suicide attacks continued to be used with chilling effect, while members of professional and religious groups, the media and Government officials were targeted for assassination and abduction. In both those contexts, he also remained concerned by civilian casualties resulting from air strikes and search operations conducted by national and multinational forces, as well as the number of so-called "force protection incidents", in which civilians were shot at after being considered a threat to military convoys or for not obeying instructions at checkpoints.
http://7thspace.com/headlines/282452/meeting_in_progress_security_council_on_protection _of_civilians_in_armed_conflict.html

Certainly sounds unbiased. NOT. For freakin' sakes, can't you do better? You'd be the first to scream at a source like NR. :rolleyes:

Yurt
05-29-2008, 09:43 PM
there is more crime in america than "attacks" occuring iraq, as Jeff said, this is a police action more than a war. maybe midcan thinks america is in an active war zone...

Gaffer
05-29-2008, 10:00 PM

Whether McCain is elected or not the war is going to continue. Whether the US surrenders or not in iraq, the war is going to continue. You either submit to islam or you die. You become a muslim or you die. As a woman you have NO rights what so ever.

I thought from some of your earlier posts that you were a reasonable intelligent woman. Your proving yourself to be ignorant and silly. AQ and iran want to impose their will on us through terror. It's what islam is all about. Terrorize the population so they go along with what you tell them. It's a mid evil mind set that the western world put aside 1000 years ago. You don't reason with that kind of mind set any more than you reason with a rabid dog.

You never got out of the blame America first attitude of the 60's did you? You may not feel you were ever a communist, but you were a communist enabler. And now you are a terrorist enabler.

Google news is just regurgitated nyt and ap trash. Google some milblogs of people that are actually over there. Go to jihadwatch or anti-mullah and see what islam is really about. Read Micheal Yons articles to find out the good and bad that's happening in iraq.

300 violent incidents occurred in the COUNTRY of iraq in a weeks time. No mention is made of what those incidents were. I would bet that you can go to any major city in this country and find that more than 300 violent incidence occurred there in the same time frame. It's all in how you word the reporting.

PostmodernProphet
05-29-2008, 10:20 PM
did a little internet mining and I found the chart showing 300 attacks mentioned in Mundame's post.....

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/2008/iraq-security-stability_mar2008_04.jpg

the legend provides the information about the type of attacks....this would be attacks against Iraqi civilians, Iraqi police and military and against American soldiers......

Gaffer
05-29-2008, 11:59 PM
Interesting find pmp. Guess they don't have the statistics for the end of Feb through May. It does show the drastic drop in incidences. But according to the dame we are losing and being overrun everywhere. We need to hurry up and get out before we accidentally win.

Speaking of win. san fran nan had to admit that iraq was succeeding. She credited the fine efforts of the iranians at ending the violence in iraq. Nothing said about our troops or the surge. Not even a mention of the efforts of the iraqis. I do wish teddy would share his tumor with her.

dread
05-30-2008, 12:05 AM
Interesting find pmp. Guess they don't have the statistics for the end of Feb through May. It does show the drastic drop in incidences. But according to the dame we are losing and being overrun everywhere. We need to hurry up and get out before we accidentally win.

Speaking of win. san fran nan had to admit that iraq was succeeding. She credited the fine efforts of the iranians at ending the violence in iraq. Nothing said about our troops or the surge. Not even a mention of the efforts of the iraqis. I do wish teddy would share his tumor with her.

She fucking said WHAT? Tell me she didnt credit the nuke fuckers for ENDING the violence in Iraq....

Yurt
05-30-2008, 12:42 AM
She fucking said WHAT? Tell me she didnt credit the nuke fuckers for ENDING the violence in Iraq....

yup

Pelosi Credits Iran’s “Goodwill” for Surge Success
Abe Greenwald - 05.29.2008 - 2:27 PM
In an interview yesterday with the San Francisco Chronicle, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi claimed the U.S. troop surge failed to accomplish its goal. She then partially credited the success of the troop surge to “the goodwill of the Iranians,” claiming that they were responsible for ending violence in the southern city of Basra.

Asked if she saw any evidence of the surge’s positive impact on her May 17 trip to Iraq she responded:

Well, the purpose of the surge was to provide a secure space, a time for the political change to occur to accomplish the reconciliation. That didn’t happen. Whatever the military success, and progress that may have been made, the surge didn’t accomplish its goal. And some of the success of the surge is that the goodwill of the Iranians-they decided in Basra when the fighting would end, they negotiated that cessation of hostilities-the Iranians.
This is an inexcusable slander. Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki brought the Sadrists militias to their knees in a month-long battle that enabled Iraq’s largest Sunni bloc to rejoin the government. Furthermore, when Pelosi met with Prime Minister al-Maliki in Mosul she sang quite a different tune.

more:
http://www.commentarymagazine.com/blogs/index.php/greenwald/8571

mundame
05-30-2008, 10:33 AM
300 violent incidents occurred in the COUNTRY of iraq in a weeks time. No mention is made of what those incidents were.

Of course these attacks are characterized; they are counted military attacks, usually suicide bombings and assassinations of sheiks and such. Also IED attacks on our patrols, very common. Shellings of the Green Zone, all that. 300 a week. This is supposed to be WINNING? Clearly not.

Nobody is interested in whether a kid snatches a fruit from the market and runs away with it; that isn't in the count.

mundame
05-30-2008, 02:49 PM
Army Suicide Rate
At Record High in 2007

Associated Press
May 30, 2008 12:28 a.m.
Wall Street Journal May 30 A2 (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121207051963129319.html)

<!-- The Wall Street Journal Interactive Edition -->WASHINGTON -- Army soldiers committed suicide in 2007 at the highest rate on record, and the toll is climbing ever higher this year as long war deployments stretch on.

At least 115 soldiers killed themselves last year, up from 102 the previous year, the Army said Thursday.

More U.S. troops also died overall in hostilities in 2007 than in any of the previous years in Iraq and Afghanistan. Violence increased in Afghanistan with a Taliban resurgence, and U.S. deaths increased in Iraq even as violence there declined in the second half of the year.

Increasing the strain on the force last year was the extension of deployments to 15 months from 12 months, a practice ending this year.
The 115 confirmed suicides among active-duty soldiers and National Guard and Reserve troops who had been activated amounted to a rate of 18.8 per 100,000 troops -- the highest since the Army began keeping records in 1980. Two other deaths are suspected suicides but still under investigation.

So far this year, the trend is comparable to last year, said Lt. Col. Thomas E. Languirand, head of command policies and programs.

As of Monday, there had been 38 confirmed suicides in 2008 and 12 more death that are suspected suicides but still under investigation, he said.
The rate of suicide continues to rise despite a host of efforts the Army has made to improve the mental health of a force under unprecedented stress from the longer-than-expected war in Iraq and the long and repeated tours of duty it has prompted.

The efforts include more training and education programs for troops and their families. Officials also have hired more mental health workers, increased screening to measure the psychological health of soldiers and worked to reduce any stigma that keeps them from going for treatment when they have symptoms of depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress and other emotional problems.

Suicides have been rising nearly each year of the five-year-old war in Iraq and the nearly seven years of war in Afghanistan. The 115 deaths last year and 102 in 2006 followed 85 in 2005 and 67 in 2004. The rate of 18.8 per 100,000 last year compared to a rate of 17.5 in 2006 and 9.8 in 2002 -- the first full year after the start of the war in Afghanistan.