PDA

View Full Version : So much for DOMA --- states recognizing homosexual marriages

mundame
05-29-2008, 02:03 PM
The future is catching up to us...
==============================
New York to recognize gay marriages

Memo: Failing to recognize gay marriages would violate New York's human rights law The directive follows a February ruling from a New York state appeals court Massachusetts legalized same-sex marriages in 2004 From Cheryl Robinson CNN NEW YORK (CNN) -- Gov. David Paterson of New York has told state agencies to recognize same-sex marriages performed in states and countries where they are legal, his spokeswoman said Wednesday.

The governor's legal counsel told state agencies in a May 14 memo to revise policies and regulations to recognize same-sex marriages performed in California and Massachusetts as well as Canada and other countries that allow gays and lesbians to marry, said Erin Duggan, the governor's spokeswoman.

The memo informed state agencies that failing to recognize gay marriages would violate the New York's human rights law, Duggan said. The directive follows a February ruling from a New York state appeals court. That decision says that legal same-sex marriages performed in other jurisdictions are entitled to recognition in New York.

"This was in direct response to a court ruling," Duggan told CNN.
"Just to make sure all the state agencies are on the same page."
Duggan says that the court's decision was consistent with the findings of several lower courts in New York State.

The governor's legal counsel sent the memo one day before the California Supreme Court struck down a ban on gay marriage in that state. Court officials in California counties may begin issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples on June 17, state officials said Wednesday.

Massachusetts legalized same-sex marriages in 2004, and gay couples need not be state residents there to wed. However, then-Gov. Mitt Romney resurrected a 1913 law barring non-resident marriages in the state if the marriage would be prohibited in the partners' home state.

Subsequent court and agency decisions have determined that only residents of Massachusetts, Rhode Island and New Mexico may marry in Massachusetts, unless the parties say they plan to move there after the marriage.

New Hampshire, Vermont, New Jersey and Connecticut permit civil unions, while California has a domestic-partner registration law. More than a dozen other states give same-sex couples some legal rights, as do some other countries.

So much for DOMA, the Defense of Marriage Act. I knew it would soon fall to Full Faith and Credit, as it is falling in both California and New York today, Thursday May 29. I knew this because of the quickie Reno divorces that spread rapidly through the Union in the '50s until now "no-fault" divorce is universal and marriage is imperilled as an institution.

It's happening again ---- major social change spreading rapidly through the states and apparently there is no way to stop this travesty.

Maybe it doesn't matter ------ people mostly live together or just have babies without any support from the father now anyway. If marriage between men and women is dead anyway, does it matter that two men can marry?

05-29-2008, 03:14 PM
DOMA doesnt really say that the states cant apply full faith and credit, just that they dont have to.

mundame
05-29-2008, 03:51 PM
DOMA doesnt really say that the states cant apply full faith and credit, just that they dont have to.

Okay, good point, avatar.

But it's unlikely in my opinion that states will be able to hold out long, against the constant stream of lawsuits from homosexuals who want to move to a state and seem to be "married."

And there is the federal issues of social security and such. Do men married to each other get the spouse's social security in New York but not in Maryland? That would be a real problem and is why Full Faith and Credit exists.

theHawk
05-29-2008, 04:29 PM
If marriage between men and women is dead anyway, does it matter that two men can marry?

No one is outlawing gay marriage weddings in churches. The government has no authority over such religous ceremonies. Any infringement on such would be unconstitutional.

Defense of Marriage Act simply stated that the government does not have to recognize such ceremonies as a marriage.

Quite simply, overturning laws like Defense of Marriage Act is an example of the court rewriting law over the will of the People. Defense of Marriage Act in no way prevented gay marriages from being performed, and was thus completely constitutional.

05-29-2008, 05:03 PM
No one is outlawing gay marriage weddings in churches. The government has no authority over such religous ceremonies. Any infringement on such would be unconstitutional.

Defense of Marriage Act simply stated that the government does not have to recognize such ceremonies as a marriage.

Quite simply, overturning laws like Defense of Marriage Act is an example of the court rewriting law over the will of the People. Defense of Marriage Act in no way prevented gay marriages from being performed, and was thus completely constitutional.

maybe not. but it doesnt mean churches wont be sued for "discrimination"

Missileman
05-29-2008, 05:07 PM
maybe not. but it doesnt mean churches wont be sued for "discrimination"

I don't see it happening. I would amount to the same thing as suing a Baptist preacher for not performing a Jewish ceremony.

gabosaurus
05-29-2008, 06:38 PM
If more states would legalize gay marriages, more of you DPers could come out of the closet without the stigma of the "faggot" tag.

theHawk
05-29-2008, 06:44 PM
If more states would legalize gay marriages, more of you DPers could come out of the closet without the stigma of the "faggot" tag.

Its already legal in all states. Doesn't change the fact that homosexuality will always have a "stigma", since it is morally wrong and not natural.

Pale Rider
05-29-2008, 06:51 PM

Sure... all the guys can get together and have a dick suck, butt fuck party... and you can have Sharon de lezbo and LiberalNation lick your coochie and then stick their tongues down your throat.

No thanks. I'll clutch my guns and cling to my religion.

I don't see why people can revel in humanity swimming in the toilet with the rest of the shit in there. People just aren't going to be happy until 75 year old men can fuck little 6 year old boys and mama can marry their seven year old son, and then get the dog in on the sex games.

Yurt
05-29-2008, 07:40 PM

:lol: you're one of us gabs, when is your coming out party....

namvet
05-29-2008, 08:14 PM
back in the 60's we rolled fags for beer money.............

mundame
05-29-2008, 08:24 PM
That, I believe.

But I don't admire it.