PDA

View Full Version : Rare uncontacted tribe photographed in Amazon

82Marine89
05-30-2008, 08:07 AM
RIO DE JANEIRO (Reuters) - Amazon Indians from one of the world's last uncontacted tribes have been photographed from the air, with striking images released on Thursday showing them painted bright red and brandishing bows and arrows.

The photographs of the tribe near the border between Brazil and Peru are rare evidence that such groups exist. A Brazilian official involved in the expedition said many of them are in increasing danger from illegal logging.

"What is happening in this region is a monumental crime against the natural world, the tribes, the fauna and is further testimony to the complete irrationality with which we, the 'civilized' ones, treat the world," Jose Carlos Meirelles was quoted as saying in a statement by the Survival International group.

One of the pictures, which can be seen on Survival International's Web site (http://www.survival-international.org), shows two Indian men covered in bright red pigment poised to fire arrows at the aircraft while another Indian looks on.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20080530/i/r297811297.jpg?x=400&y=271&sig=VFb8szR_NLBoUuzzR.cbWw--

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20080530/i/r1954519701.jpg?x=400&y=268&sig=oxJGjkHulOLVcIIeD52stg--

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20080530/i/r3563099191.jpg?x=400&y=266&sig=N7pxqOgLxpBM0K6SPT0Usg--

Click for full text... (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080529/sc_nm/brazil_tribe_dc)

Yurt
05-30-2008, 08:37 AM
that is a trip. i wonder whats up with the figure clothed or is black...looks very different from the rest

namvet
05-30-2008, 09:08 AM
that is a trip. i wonder whats up with the figure clothed or is black...looks very different from the rest

one of Obama's missing preachers...................

Little-Acorn
05-30-2008, 10:32 AM
Any sign of giant snakes trying to swallow Jon Voight or Jennifer Lopez whole?

:eek:

hjmick
05-30-2008, 10:35 AM
I hope they continue to leave this tribe alone.

Pale Rider
05-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Big government is fucking with every other person on earth, why should these naked heathens get a pass?

Abbey Marie
05-30-2008, 10:46 AM
It would be cool to tranquilize one of them, wake him up in the middle of a NYC street, and watch his reactions. :coffee:

05-30-2008, 10:47 AM

looked to me that the red ones were warrior/hunters. I was assuming the black one was a leader but i could be wrong. it could be any number of things

theHawk
05-30-2008, 10:57 AM
I can't help but think of the "Prime Directive" from Star Trek:TNG. They should be left alone and not have helicopters flying over them scarring the shit out of them.

Pale Rider
05-30-2008, 11:10 AM
I can't help but think of the "Prime Directive" from Star Trek:TNG. They should be left alone and not have helicopters flying over them scarring the shit out of them.

If only that principle could be applied evenly around the world.

Little-Acorn
05-30-2008, 11:13 AM
looked to me that the red ones were warrior/hunters. I was assuming the black one was a leader but i could be wrong. it could be any number of things

The black one could be a slave, captured or kidnapped from another tribe. A very common practice in many parts of the world, even today. Note that he's the only one without weapons in these shots.

Or did you think racial discrimination was something practiced only by white Americans? :slap:

Little-Acorn
05-30-2008, 11:17 AM
I hope they continue to leave this tribe alone.

Are you kidding? Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are already on their way down there, with preprinted citizenship papers, pre-marked absentee ballots, food stamp and Social Security registration forms, and instructions on which Democrat to vote for to keep from losing government goodies and being oppressed by the white devils.

Pale Rider
05-30-2008, 11:40 AM
The black one could be a slave, captured or kidnapped from another tribe. A very common practice in many parts of the world, even today. Note that he's the only one without weapons in these shots.

Or did you think racial discrimination was something practiced only by white Americans? :slap:

I think the one painted black is a woman, or possibly a shaman.

glockmail
05-30-2008, 12:23 PM
It would be cool to tranquilize one of them, wake him up in the middle of a NYC street, and watch his reactions. :coffee: How 'bout we tranquilize a New Yorker, wake him up in the middle of the tribe, and watch his reactions? :laugh2:

Trigg
05-30-2008, 12:44 PM
How 'bout we tranquilize a New Yorker, wake him up in the middle of the tribe, and watch his reactions? :laugh2:

No blackberry :scared: he'd never be the same :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
05-30-2008, 02:33 PM
How 'bout we tranquilize a New Yorker, wake him up in the middle of the tribe, and watch his reactions? :laugh2:

You mean when several spears are pointed at his head? :laugh2:

Little-Acorn
05-30-2008, 02:41 PM

If you tranquilize a New Yorker, would anybody notice the difference?

PostmodernProphet
05-30-2008, 04:32 PM

like the OP says...."shows two Indian men covered in bright red pigment poised to fire arrows at the aircraft while another Indian looks on".....just hadn't put his makeup on yet.....

gabosaurus
05-30-2008, 05:17 PM
If there was oil there, you would be in favor of drilling. :p

glockmail
05-30-2008, 07:11 PM
If there was oil there, you would be in favor of drilling. :p
So would the tribe. :poke: