PDA

View Full Version : Vatican sends threat over women priests

Yurt
05-30-2008, 08:36 AM
Vatican sends threat over women priests

ROME, Italy (CNN) -- The Vatican announced Thursday in a general decree that it will excommunicate anyone who would attempt to ordain a woman as a priest and the woman herself.

According to the decree, the excommunications would take place with immediate effect.

The decree was signed by Cardinal William Levada, prefect of the congregation for the doctrine of the faith.

It was not persuasive to Regina Nicolosi, a program coordinator for Roman Catholic Womenpriests (sic), who was ordained two years ago.

"We have come not to take that too seriously," said Nicolosi, a 66-year-old married mother and grandmother who lives in Red Wing, Minnesota, and said her group is composed of 40 to 50 women priests, none of whom are recognized by the church hierarchy.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/05/30/vatican.women.priests/index.html

why do the people who want women ordained as ministers not take the catholic hierarchy seriously?

05-30-2008, 09:41 AM
In my experience, people trying to do this really dont believe Church claims. They are more concerned about their politics.

theHawk
05-30-2008, 10:50 AM
Yea I don't get it. If you don't believe in a church's doctrine....why are you in it?

Abbey Marie
05-30-2008, 10:54 AM
Interesting that even with a pressing priest shortage, the church won't budge on this one.

LiberalNation
05-30-2008, 12:15 PM
give it another 500 hundred years and they might.

Hagbard Celine
05-30-2008, 03:33 PM
Backwards-thinking knuckledraggers all.

My Winter Storm
05-30-2008, 09:14 PM
The CC have always had their heads up their butts and in the dark ages. I don't see them changing their anti woman stance any time soon.

05-30-2008, 11:12 PM
and why should they care what non-believers think?

GW in Ohio
06-02-2008, 07:56 AM

That pretty much sums up the attitude of the Catholic Church, i.e., "Why should we give a fuck what anybody else thinks? We are the only true church and we are right. The Pope is infallible (because one of the Popes declared it to be so) so we're always right. And if you step out of line, we'll excommunicate you."

That fear and intimidation schtick worked pretty well for the Catholic Church for a long time, but people have gotten a lot smarter and more sophisticated, and there aren't many who are buying it these days.

I predict in the next 100 years the Catholic Church will finally take its head out of its ass and realize its become a historical curiosity. At that point it will allow priests to be married and ordain women as priests and take other measures that will bring it more up to date.

By that time, it will be too late to regain its hegemony, however. The Catholic Church will survive as a niche religion. It will market itself based on a certain snob appeal....."We are the one, true, original Christian church."

diuretic
06-02-2008, 08:46 AM
the congregation for the doctrine of the faith.

No-one expects the Congregation for the Doctine of the Faith!

Next they'll be calling for the comfy chair! :laugh2:

Yes, it's the descendant of the Inquisition. Nice eh? Pope Benedict used to head that mob up before he got the big gig.

06-02-2008, 08:48 AM
again. Why the heck does it matter what people who dont believe think? It doesnt effect you? Why the hell cant they do as they wish?

PostmodernProphet
06-02-2008, 08:56 AM

/shrugs....I'm a believer, though of the Protestant variety, and I think the RCC has made an invalid interpretation of scripture with respect to women holding office in the church.....

Hagbard Celine
06-02-2008, 10:06 AM
again. Why the heck does it matter what people who dont believe think? It doesnt effect you? Why the hell cant they do as they wish?

They can do whatever they want but it doesn't change the fact that they are misogynistic knuckledraggers.

diuretic
06-02-2008, 04:37 PM

Why comment on the Democratic Party if you're a Republican?

Silver
06-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Backwards-thinking knuckledraggers all.

Right...its church's like the Trinity United Church of Christ that have the "progressives"......
The Progressives that can listen to how the US government kills blacks with HIV....
The Progressives that can learn to scream "God damn America".....
The Progressives that will vote for Obama....
No knuckledraggers in this religion...only knuckleheads :fu:

Hagbard Celine
06-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Right...its church's like the Trinity United Church of Christ that have the "progressives"......
The Progressives that can listen to how the US government kills blacks with HIV....

Well, you sure showed me. :rolleyes: I don't know though, maybe if I actually gave two sh*ts about the Trinity United Church of Christ and the people who attend it then your comments might hold some water. I don't know, maybe. :rolleyes:

Abbey Marie
06-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Why comment on the Democratic Party if you're a Republican?

Uh, because the Democrat Party has lots of power over our lives? Last time I checked, the Catholic Church wasn't going to pass our laws, seat judges, or perhaps put a Pope in the White House.

Said1
06-02-2008, 06:51 PM

I have to ask......knuckleheads are better than knuckledraggers? There's a difference? :laugh2:

Hagbard Celine
06-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Vatican: "No girls allowed!"
Modern culture: "But women are fully capable. I mean, in modern culture women run huge, multinational corporations, hold high-powered positions in government and even operate motor vehicles! Why not give them a chance?" :dunno:
Vatican: "No girls allowed!"
Modern culture: "Have it your way dude. Don't call us, we'll call you."

Silver
06-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Well, you sure showed me. :rolleyes: I don't know though, maybe if I actually gave two sh*ts about the Trinity United Church of Christ and the people who attend it then your comments might hold some water. I don't know, maybe. :rolleyes:

You might not give a shit about the UCC church and the un-American, bigoted, hate-spewing rants they preach, but you sure have an opinion about the Catholics being knuckledraggers for following a tenet they've had for over 2000 years or whatever......

Hagbard Celine
06-02-2008, 08:32 PM
You might not give a shit about the UCC church and the un-American, bigoted, hate-spewing rants they preach, but you sure have an opinion about the Catholics being knuckledraggers for following a tenet they've had for over 2000 years or whatever......

No girls allowed! What a righteous "tenet." :rolleyes:

Silver
06-02-2008, 08:41 PM
I guess they can follow any silly rules they want.....

its not quite like a Church teaching their followers that the US government is killing blacks with HIV virus or humiliating Hillary Clinton from the pulpit because she happens to be white but then this kind of hate doesn't seem to bother you as much as silly Catholic rules for the priesthood.....

diuretic
06-03-2008, 03:29 AM
Uh, because the Democrat Party has lots of power over our lives? Last time I checked, the Catholic Church wasn't going to pass our laws, seat judges, or perhaps put a Pope in the White House.

Sometimes the analogy has to be sagely accepted rather than analysed :laugh2:

I could come up with more but that would be tiresome. :coffee:

diuretic
06-03-2008, 03:31 AM
Someone told me once that this stems from St Paul. I'm not sure about that. I was also told by an ex-missionary I knew well (he quit to get married) that it was that pastoral work couldn't be done if the priest were married. I dunno about that, other Christian denominations seem to manage.

Abbey Marie
06-03-2008, 06:39 AM
Someone told me once that this stems from St Paul. I'm not sure about that. I was also told by an ex-missionary I knew well (he quit to get married) that it was that pastoral work couldn't be done if the priest were married. I dunno about that, other Christian denominations seem to manage.

There is a biblical basis for it. Paul does say that it is best not to marry if you are going to do the Lord's work efffectively. But he goes on to talk about what to do if you feel you must marry, so...

I have long thought that no-marriage rule is the reason there are so many gay priests. I have also thought that it exists because the church saves an incredible amount of money this way. No need to provide housing, benefits, etc., to wives and children.

diuretic
06-03-2008, 07:42 AM
There is a biblical basis for it. Paul does say that it is best not to marry if you are going to do the Lord's work efffectively. But he goes on to talk about what to do if you feel you must marry, so...

I have long thought that no-marriage rule is the reason there are so many gay priests. I have also thought that it exists because the church saves an incredible amount of money this way. No need to provide housing, benefits, etc., to wives and children.

I like your pragmatic thinking Abbey.

It's good, if you're going to develop a money-saving policy in your employment conditions, to have a scriptural authority to back it up. I bet GM is trawling through the New Testament to see if the UAW gets a mention :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
06-03-2008, 12:16 PM
I like your pragmatic thinking Abbey.

It's good, if you're going to develop a money-saving policy in your employment conditions, to have a scriptural authority to back it up. I bet GM is trawling through the New Testament to see if the UAW gets a mention :laugh2:

If by "New Testament" here, you mean GM's "New Testament of Offshoring Manufacturing", you may be right. :laugh2:

diuretic
06-03-2008, 04:23 PM
If by "New Testament" here, you mean GM's "New Testament of Offshoring Manufacturing", you may be right. :laugh2:

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: