PDA

View Full Version : College or the military?

gabosaurus
05-30-2008, 05:31 PM
I got to talk with two graduating seniors today. Both had wanted to drop out in previous years, but were persuaded to stay in school.
The two half-brothers were the first in their family to graduated from high school. Now their parents wanted them to continue their education in college. They both wanted to join the military.
The parents agreed to allow the boys to talk to a counselor (which turned out to be me), then make their decisions.

Both of them struggled to make it through high school. They appeared ambivalent about college, but I could tell their hearts were not in it. So I advised them to join the military. If they wanted to go to college after completing their service, they would then have money for it. Being in the military would help them grow up, which they are far from right now.

Earlier this week, I talked to a girl who an 18-year-old HS junior. She wanted to drop out of school because she was "bored." Her parental support was non-existent, and the quality of her "friends" was marginal at best.
I told her that she should stick with school another year, then join the military. It would give her life some needed structure, and develop a needed life skill.
I sold her on the fact that high school dropouts have no real chance in the modern world. Being in the military has a lot more honor and integrity than working at Wal Mart or 7-11.

So that is twice this week. If this keeps happening, they are going to take away my moonbat card and prohibit me from hugging trees.

05-30-2008, 06:01 PM
We'll turn you to the light side yet. There is good in you. and you cant hide it forever;)

LiberalNation
05-30-2008, 06:20 PM
If the girl can't stand high school why recomend the military. Lot harder and more boring.

82Marine89
05-30-2008, 06:28 PM
If the girl can't stand high school why recomend the military. Lot harder and more boring.

Talking from experience?

Silver
05-30-2008, 07:15 PM
I got to talk with two graduating seniors today. Both had wanted to drop out in previous years, but were persuaded to stay in school.
The two half-brothers were the first in their family to graduated from high school. Now their parents wanted them to continue their education in college. They both wanted to join the military.
The parents agreed to allow the boys to talk to a counselor (which turned out to be me), then make their decisions.

Both of them struggled to make it through high school. They appeared ambivalent about college, but I could tell their hearts were not in it. So I advised them to join the military. If they wanted to go to college after completing their service, they would then have money for it. Being in the military would help them grow up, which they are far from right now.

Earlier this week, I talked to a girl who an 18-year-old HS junior. She wanted to drop out of school because she was "bored." Her parental support was non-existent, and the quality of her "friends" was marginal at best.
I told her that she should stick with school another year, then join the military. It would give her life some needed structure, and develop a needed life skill.
I sold her on the fact that high school dropouts have no real chance in the modern world. Being in the military has a lot more honor and integrity than working at Wal Mart or 7-11.

So that is twice this week. If this keeps happening, they are going to take away my moonbat card and prohibit me from hugging trees.

"So that is twice this week. If this keeps happening, they are going to take away my moonbat card and prohibit me from hugging trees."

I'm sure you say this in jest but its far from fiction....in some school districts you would pay a price for giving students this kind of advice....maybe even parents demanding your job....
But only you know these students and what kinds of problems they face....
As long as you give them honest advice ... gudos...

midcan5
05-30-2008, 07:56 PM

Card revoked - but for a good reason. Hopefully they will learn a bit about life and grow up. College isn't for everybody, some of the best and brightest people I have worked with through this long working life had no college. One problem today though, it does open doors somewhat.

dread
05-30-2008, 09:13 PM

Actually one can do both...While active in the military one can go to an accredited online college like American Military University and I think they can go for free or damn near free books and all. Also your boot camp and training afterwards can be switched into real credits.

Mr. P
05-30-2008, 09:42 PM

This may shock you, along with others, but I have a problem with anyone in administration telling a kid what they "should do". I'll go for giving them all the options instead. Let em noodle it out, then IF they ask give your opinion.

Our life choices shouldn't be made by someone else and I've never met a counselor worth a shit.

Trinity
05-30-2008, 09:54 PM
This may shock you, along with others, but I have a problem with anyone in administration telling a kid what they "should do". I'll go for giving them all the options instead. Let em noodle it out, then IF they ask give your opinion.

Our life choices shouldn't be made by someone else and I've never met a counselor worth a shit.

Well Mr. P why is it I am not surprised that I agree with you on this one.

However keep in mind I am in school working on becoming a marriage and family therapist so don't shoot me yet.:laugh2:

But to be quite honest there is no way in hell that I would have told these kids to join the military. I would have explained all of their options pros vs. cons to them, military and college and left the final decision up to them. It is their life and not mine to tell them what they should or should not do.

Trinity
05-30-2008, 09:59 PM

Well at least she would be working and supporting herself instead of letting the system support her.

and you are absolutely right high school drop outs don't have a real chance, however she does have the option of getting her GED and then pursuing something she is actually interested in, and not necessarily a four year college it could be a trade school of some sort. Medical assistant, dental assistant etc. etc.

Mr. P
05-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Well Mr. P why is it I am not surprised that I agree with you on this one.

However keep in mind I am in school working on becoming a marriage and family therapist so don't shoot me yet.:laugh2:

But to be quite honest there is no way in hell that I would have told these kids to join the military. I would have explained all of their options pros vs. cons to them, military and college and left the final decision up to them. It is their life and not mine to tell them what they should or should not do.

It's simple Trinity, it's common sense and life experience. Something you have and as a former bar-tender understand people better than any Harvard Grad. with just book learnin. You got em beat from the gate! I mean really, who understands better than someone that's been mom, dad, confidante, etc...to hundreds? You've heard it all..

Now, a Manhattan please!:laugh2:

Dilloduck
05-30-2008, 10:39 PM

HEY !!!!!!!!!! I heard that !!!!!!!!! :fu:

:laugh2:

Mr. P
05-30-2008, 11:08 PM
HEY !!!!!!!!!! I heard that !!!!!!!!! :fu:

:laugh2:

My apologies to anyone who I offended. There are exceptions in any profession. Few in this case however. :laugh2:

stephanie
05-31-2008, 12:13 AM
I was also wondering what was with the attitude against Walmart and 7/11?

they need workers, and that could be a stepping stone for high school kids to start out at...sheesh..:poke:

dread
05-31-2008, 12:27 AM
Well at least she would be working and supporting herself instead of letting the system support her.

and you are absolutely right high school drop outs don't have a real chance, however she does have the option of getting her GED and then pursuing something she is actually interested in, and not necessarily a four year college it could be a trade school of some sort. Medical assistant, dental assistant etc. etc.

How is MY daughter NOT supporting herself by being in the military? She makes a wage and works very long hours AND is getting trained in the medical profession. And the kicker is this...She DID get to choose what she was actually interested in doing.

Kathianne
05-31-2008, 12:51 AM
I was also wondering what was with the attitude against Walmart and 7/11?

they need workers, and that could be a stepping stone for high school kids to start out at...sheesh..:poke:

In fairness, while I certainly wouldn't 'tell an adult or near adult' which path to take, her comments about honor and status of military over Walmart or 7-11 are right on. If a bright kid hasn't found an academic track by 18, not ready for college; has the potential fitness and mental acuity for military, not a bad choice. I agree that Walmart and 7-11 are worthwhile, entry level positions but when one graduates high school and takes that type of job, their chance of really moving on may slide downhill. While in the military, they may gain the self-discipline that leads towards making one's own choices, not feeling victimized.

I doubt this is coming out right, but I do see what she's trying to say.

Trinity
05-31-2008, 05:31 AM
How is MY daughter NOT supporting herself by being in the military? She makes a wage and works very long hours AND is getting trained in the medical profession. And the kicker is this...She DID get to choose what she was actually interested in doing.

whoa you read more into this then intended. I don't recall saying anything about your daughter first off, second off I never said there was anything wrong with going into the military. I only said that choice should be left up to the teen to decide, not someone else telling them what they should do.

AFbombloader
05-31-2008, 06:05 AM
I agree with both sides of this. first off, thank you for even mentioning the military to a high school student. When I was a recruiter there were few guidance counselors that would do that. But I agree that you should give them the info and let them choose. It sounds like they were interested in that before you brought it up.
As to the college thing. I can only speak for the AF, but college is automatic in the AF (only branch where it is). The Community College of the Air Force is the largest community college int he world. It is an accredited university, so the credits earned will transfer to almost any college when you get out. Every bit of training done in the AF from BMT to Tech School, or other training later in the career, earn credit. I had to take 5 college courses, or test out od them with a CLEP test and I earned 2 AS degrees. And those tests and classes were free. So the opportunity is there.
Next thing you should do is have the boys and the girl speak to every branch before they choose where to go. I am partial to the AF but that is for obvious reasons. See if the recruiter will meet in your office, when I was a recruiter I would. That will put the students more at ease, the recruiters office can be intimidating to some people. Or make the recruiter take you all out to lunch and talk in a restaurant. Make sure the boys figure out what they want because educational opportunities do not sound like what they are interested in. So have the recruiter explain other things. I wish I was the recruiter at your school, I would definantly help you out. do not let the recruiters bad mouth the other brancher sither, make them stick to what their branch can do, not what they say the others cannot.

AF:salute:

ranger
05-31-2008, 11:10 AM
I had both of my daughters look at the military. The oldest was interested in medicine and we looked at the Army and Navy before deciding she would like the Navy better. She's now enjoying her life as a corpsman in the Navy and constantly calling about how she's been cutting ingrown toenails out and draining abcesses, etc.

Funny thing was, she came home on leave and talked with a friend of hers that was going to one of the medical assistant programs. My daughter had already done all of this stuff and her friend hadn't even been allowed to touch a needle yet.

Youngest daughter just graduated and is waiting to go into the Army. Can't wait to leave and be on her own, with her own money and making her own decision. I can't wait for her to go so I can party on with the missus.

gabosaurus
05-31-2008, 11:51 AM
First of all, I don't have a gun in my desk. I don't FORCE kids to do anything. A counselor gives advice. It is up to the kids to heed to discard the advice.

I take what I feel are the kid's best interests to heart. If I don't feel that military service is in a kid's best interest, I advise them against it. If I feel they were benefit from it, I advise them to go ahead with it.

I will feel much more comfortable in recommending military service when we get a responsible Commander in Chief who doesn't start conflicts on a whim.
Aside from that, I would much rather recommend college. It gets the majority of high school kids better prepared for life.

dread
05-31-2008, 11:58 AM
First of all, I don't have a gun in my desk. I don't FORCE kids to do anything. A counselor gives advice. It is up to the kids to heed to discard the advice.

I take what I feel are the kid's best interests to heart. If I don't feel that military service is in a kid's best interest, I advise them against it. If I feel they were benefit from it, I advise them to go ahead with it.

I will feel much more comfortable in recommending military service when we get a responsible Commander in Chief who doesn't start conflicts on a whim.
Aside from that, I would much rather recommend college. It gets the majority of high school kids better prepared for life.

You know just because one goes into the military doesnt mean they get to see war. My daughter is stationed in jacksonville and has yet to be deployed. In fact out of her her graduating medical school only one even went to Iraq. And that was because they requested it.

As I think about it there are plenty people on her base that havent seen any action as well.

And how is college going to prepare them for life? Most people I know went to college and it was just one party after another. In the military one has to learn to get along with others and deal with superiors. In college one can skip a class whenever they feel like it.

gabosaurus
05-31-2008, 12:07 PM
It depends on how responsible you are. If you take academics seriously, there is no partying or skipping class.

Military service (or lack of it) can affect people in different way. My dad's best friend served two tours of duty in Viet Nam, but he discouraged his kids from joining the military. My mom and dad were peacenik war protesters, but they never said anything about it to my sister or I.
What bothers me are the military vet parents who actively push their kids into following in their footsteps. To the point of telling them it is their "duty" to carry on the family tradition.
Kids should be free to choose their own careers, without parental prodding.

5stringJeff
05-31-2008, 12:16 PM

Gabs, if a kid is "bored" in high school, it could be a sign of high intelligence. I'm sure they taught you that in school, but, having been one of those bored kids, I just figured I could remind you. :)

dread
05-31-2008, 12:30 PM
It depends on how responsible you are. If you take academics seriously, there is no partying or skipping class.

Military service (or lack of it) can affect people in different way. My dad's best friend served two tours of duty in Viet Nam, but he discouraged his kids from joining the military. My mom and dad were peacenik war protesters, but they never said anything about it to my sister or I.
What bothers me are the military vet parents who actively push their kids into following in their footsteps. To the point of telling them it is their "duty" to carry on the family tradition.
Kids should be free to choose their own careers, without parental prodding.

Ranger and I didnt need to "prod" our youngest. However with our free spirited eldest who thought she knew it all it has been a wild ride..

Now did I prod her because it is a family duty to serve? Hell no...

I just simply watched her and knew what she enjoyed before she even realized it. For example. My eldest was pissed that I decided all of the high school classes she would take. She cried when I forced her to take a anatomy class...That and she hated p.e. but I forced her to take those classes as well. Afterwards she was in love and knew she wanted to be in the medical field. I told her whatever she decided to do whether it be doctor or nurse to go into the military because they would pay you while training you.

If she had done the family duty thing she would have gone into the Army..But her temperment wouldnt have fit well with them so her father prodded her torwards the Navy. She is grateful for all the hard nose tactics I used on her because she was better equiped for boot camp than all the other recruits. She is now having a blast and thinks she may become a lifer in the military...Who would have thought that my liberal girl who wants to do nothing but painting and photography would turn out like this.

gabosaurus
05-31-2008, 02:36 PM
My parents stopped making school decisions for me in the eighth grade. My sister and I both chose our own course of study, high school and college.
My parents' only requirement was that any grade less than a B was unacceptable. And any bad conduct report would be dealt with in a manner that I don't wish to remember. :p
I come from a long line of college graduates. My parents certainly encouraged it, but never pushed it. My sister and I were both motivated to do the same. Academics were extremely important to both of us.

I can't say I will be the same type of parent. My husband's mom never attended college, and neither did either of his older sisters. He is more in favor of gentle prodding to do the best that you can and not settle for less than you are capable of.

Trinity
05-31-2008, 06:50 PM
I had an interesting conversation with my 12 year old the other day. I asked him once again for the 100th time what do you want to do when you get done with school? His reply was pro football or basketball. I said great, thats awesome!

However you need a back up plan so what else would you like to do? His reply I don't know. So we sat down together and I asked him what classes at school and other things was he interested in? He told me he liked science, laboratory type stuff, helping people, mid evil stuff, criminal investigations, anatomy.

Well we did some research on his interests and the careers he can pursue with the things he already loves to do. He wants to attend Ohio State University and he has discovered he can earn his Doctorate by the age of 25, if he focus's on what he wants to do. He was excited and is considering pursuing forensic science.:coffee:

Now let's just hope he continues with this same attitude into his teen years! If not :slap:

Abbey Marie
05-31-2008, 09:58 PM
When our daughter was in 3rd grade, I told her that if she didn't work hard in school, she might have to clean public toilets for a living. She's been academically self-motivating ever since. :)

Gaffer
05-31-2008, 10:05 PM
I had both of my daughters look at the military. The oldest was interested in medicine and we looked at the Army and Navy before deciding she would like the Navy better. She's now enjoying her life as a corpsman in the Navy and constantly calling about how she's been cutting ingrown toenails out and draining abcesses, etc.

Funny thing was, she came home on leave and talked with a friend of hers that was going to one of the medical assistant programs. My daughter had already done all of this stuff and her friend hadn't even been allowed to touch a needle yet.

Youngest daughter just graduated and is waiting to go into the Army. Can't wait to leave and be on her own, with her own money and making her own decision. I can't wait for her to go so I can party on with the missus.

Open up the freezer and have a little whip and chill.

LiberalNation
06-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Most of my family didn't recomend military service, dad was in the army and didn't like it, grandpa drafted in the navy and didn't like, and uncle in the airforce same thing.

As for picking classes, if my parents "picked" for me I'd be failing that class just on the point of it. It's your life. Some classes are required but electives should be up to the student. But I;m graduated now, no more high school. Just got back from the graduation party, made about $120 more dollars. Found out another of my cousins who was sposed to graduate dropped out 3 months before the end of school. Now that is stupid.