PDA

View Full Version : Canon 40D

hjmick
05-30-2008, 10:09 PM
I just bought a Canon 40D, decided not to get the 5D for a couple of reasons, not the least of which was monetary. I have always been impressed with Canon and what they've done in the digital photography field.

So I ask... Is anyone using the 40D? Have you used one? Perhaps you've used or are using the 20D or the 30D? Maybe even the 5D? How do you like it? Any tips?

Mr. P
05-30-2008, 10:28 PM
I just bought a Canon 40D, decided not to get the 5D for a couple of reasons, not the least of which was monetary. I have always been impressed with Canon and what they've done in the digital photography field.

So I ask... Is anyone using the 40D? Have you used one? Perhaps you've used or are using the 20D or the 30D? Maybe even the 5D? How do you like it? Any tips?

I want a Nikon D(what I can afford)..:laugh2:

You've heard it before..it's not the camera as much as what's behind it.

Post some pics!!!!

hjmick
05-30-2008, 10:42 PM
I want a Nikon D(what I can afford)..:laugh2:

You've heard it before..it's not the camera as much as what's behind it.

Post some pics!!!!

I plan to...as soon as it's delivered! LOL

The biggest reason I bought it now is, I'm heading up to Alaska in July and I didn't think my Sony F8 point and shoot would give me the photos I want. I bought the Canon with a 28-135mm lens and picked up a 70-300mm telephoto to go with it. I'll leave my Sony at home and take my old Pentax 35mm (I think I still have film for it...) and the Canon.

Sitarro
05-31-2008, 12:26 AM

The biggest reason I bought it now is, I'm heading up to Alaska in July and I didn't think my Sony F8 point and shoot would give me the photos I want. I bought the Canon with a 28-135mm lens and picked up a 70-300mm telephoto to go with it. I'll leave my Sony at home and take my old Pentax 35mm (I think I still have film for it...) and the Canon.

Go to a camera store, a real one with pro film, and get some Fuji Velvia 100 film. It will be slides but the color is surreal, my favorite for landscape.

I know I have said a lot of shit about Canon but it is really all about what feels good in your hands when you get into the upper price range, they all capture really nice images. You awill have a lot of fun with your new baby. I have always loved the very solid feel and layout of Nikon, love the Nikkor lenses and I have been using a D300 lately and it's pretty damn nice. I would love a D3 but I need to justify the cost, haven't done that yet. If I win the lottery it will be that and of course a Hasseblad H3DII.:cool:

Check out this site...... http://www.greatalaska.com/

hjmick
05-31-2008, 12:40 AM
I've heard that about the Fuji Velvia, in fact I have a post-it note with the name written down to remind me to try it, thanks for the recommendation, I'll have to pick up a couple of rolls before I leave.

I did read quite a few reviews of a multitude of cameras before settling on the Canon. After much deliberation, and after determining that, to a certain degree, there wasn't too much difference between the Nikons and the Canons at this level, I went with my original choice from eight months ago when I started looking.

BTW, thanks for the link. That is something I would love to do.

ranger
05-31-2008, 12:56 AM
I prefer the DD Cannons with the nice nips.:lol:

hjmick
05-31-2008, 12:58 AM
I prefer the DD Cannons with the nice nips.:lol:

LOL. There's always a comedian in every crowd! :lol:

Mr. P
05-31-2008, 10:08 AM
Hey Sitarro, what type mount does the Nikon digital have?

I have two lenses for an old Minolta 35mm SLR, bayonet mount, can I use them on a Nikon digital SLR?

Sitarro
06-19-2008, 11:35 PM
Hey Sitarro, what type mount does the Nikon digital have?

I have two lenses for an old Minolta 35mm SLR, bayonet mount, can I use them on a Nikon digital SLR?

I doubt it. There used to be conversion rings you could use but I don't think it would work well with the digital sensor, you would probably get round photo borders.

darin
06-20-2008, 07:02 AM
I use the 20D; have had it a couple years now.

As far as tips, etc? Hard to do; is this your first DSLR? Any other photography experience? Are you wanting snapshots or are you going to get more technical with your shooting? Combination? What lens did you get?
Don't skimp on glass. Buy good stuff. Having said that, the new Kit lens from canon is pretty good. It's more than pretty good, really. :)

glockmail
06-20-2008, 08:14 AM
I doubt it. There used to be conversion rings you could use but I don't think it would work well with the digital sensor, you would probably get round photo borders.
I've had a Canon AE1 Program since my Mum bought it for me as a HS graduation gift. It came with a nice 50mm lens and I bought an off-brand zoom and multiplier that I used quite a bit in college shooting "my girls" lacrosse and field hockey games.

Anyway I was thinking of moving to a DSLR and I found an adapter ring to re-use my old lenses. In your opinion is it worth it to go that route or should I just ebay the old lenses?

crin63
06-20-2008, 09:07 AM
I have a Nikon D-80. It takes fabulous pictures but when I move up I'm going to really look hard at the Canons. I have always liked Nikon glass in scopes and binos so I just went with Nikon for my first DSLR.

I was actually hoping to get more serious about photography but it was either coach my daughter or photography. I'll wait on the photography.

darin
06-20-2008, 09:15 AM
One thing to keep in mind, Even the BEST pots and pans won't make somebody a good cook. First learn the techniques. Study and Practice. If that D80 you had 'took fabulous pictures' it's because the person using it had a clue. :)

:D

hjmick
06-20-2008, 09:30 AM
I use the 20D; have had it a couple years now.

As far as tips, etc? Hard to do; is this your first DSLR? Any other photography experience? Are you wanting snapshots or are you going to get more technical with your shooting? Combination? What lens did you get?
Don't skimp on glass. Buy good stuff. Having said that, the new Kit lens from canon is pretty good. It's more than pretty good, really. :)

Not my first, but first of this quality. As far as what I'll be doing, initially I will be doing snaps mostly, it will be making the trek to Alaska with me next month, but I do hope to delve into the world of more technical shooting. As far as lenses, I bought a 28-135 Canon and a 70-300 Sigma telephoto.

darin
06-20-2008, 09:43 AM
Did you get the kit lens, too? You'll likely want a wider-angle, especially in Landscape stuff in AK. Remember, your 28mm lens 'acts like' a 44mm lens on a 35mm.

:)

hjmick
06-20-2008, 09:45 AM
The 28-135 was the kit lens.

darin
06-20-2008, 09:50 AM
That's odd. haven't seen that before.

I bet you'll likely wish for a wider lens. The "kit" lens of which I'm speaking is 18-55. It's about $170, has IS and is very sharp, I'm told, from f/3-8

hjmick
06-20-2008, 09:55 AM
After the initial expense, it will difficult to convince the Mrs I need this lens immediately. I knew I would want the tele for wildlife and the 28-135 has macro, so that will be nice for close up flora. The 18-55 is next on the list.

It was a special kit I guess, the body and lens ran me about $1,300.

darin
06-20-2008, 09:59 AM
Rent a lens then. rentglass.com - I've used them. I'll be money you'll really wish you had less focal length once you get there. Your lenses may not be able to capture the landscape's 'majesty'.

Just lookin' out for ya, based on experience. I'd rent a prime, 15mm? 10mm? Something I could use to gather in the sweeping views you'll likely encounter. ALSO - look for a foul-weather bag to cover the camera body. IIRC the 40D is "supposed" to be weather resistant...but hard to take chances w/ that kinda investment.

You might also want a monopod w/ that siggy, depending on it's weight.

My list of gear:

20D (paid about $900 for it)
17-55 f/2.8 IS ($1200)
70-200 f/4L $500 (used)
300 f/4L $1200
BatteryPack/grip. $150 (used) - (Single best accessory I've got. Can't imagine NOT having it now.)
Canon Speedlite 430EX - $300? Or so...

crin63
06-20-2008, 10:00 AM
One thing to keep in mind, Even the BEST pots and pans won't make somebody a good cook. First learn the techniques. Study and Practice. If that D80 you had 'took fabulous pictures' it's because the person using it had a clue. :)

:D

What I have actually found quite amazing (I'm a simple guy) is how 3 different people using the same equipment take such varied perspective of photos.

My wifes best friend uses my camera alot. She is tremendous at setting up posed shots of people and objects. Really impressive. But if you let her take pictures at an event she misses the moments by a second or two on either side of the moment.

My wife takes all these weird angle shots that just amaze me and I cant capture.

Me, I catch the moments. That perfect shot when a couple is celebrating their 50th anniversary with a kiss or that perfect moment in a smile.

darin
06-20-2008, 10:05 AM
What I have actually found quite amazing (I'm a simple guy) is how 3 different people using the same equipment take such varied perspective of photos.

My wifes best friend uses my camera alot. She is tremendous at setting up posed shots of people and objects. Really impressive. But if you let her take pictures at an event she misses the moments by a second or two on either side of the moment.

My wife takes all these weird angle shots that just amaze me and I cant capture.

Me, I catch the moments. That perfect shot when a couple is celebrating their 50th anniversary with a kiss or that perfect moment in a smile.

Absolutely. Candids are my favs, then landscapes, Portraits? not so much.

hjmick
06-20-2008, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the tips, D. Now I have even more to think about. $170 isn't so much...

HONEY....

I can pick it up for $100....shit...

http://www.lensesnmore.com/products.asp?dept_id=10289&product_id=12266

darin
06-20-2008, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the tips, D. Now I have even more to think about. $170 isn't so much...

HONEY....

I can pick it up for $100....shit...

http://www.lensesnmore.com/products.asp?dept_id=10289&product_id=12266

I'm not sure that's the one - the new Kit Lens has Image Stabilization. :) Pay the extra 70 bux for the new one.

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon_18-55_3p5-5p6_is_c16/

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/519475-USA/Canon_2042B002_EF_S_18_55mm_f_3_5_5_6_IS.html

They have it used for $145 :)

hjmick
06-20-2008, 10:38 AM
Didn't even notice that...

I hate doing this shit at work...

Sitarro
06-20-2008, 07:51 PM
I have a Nikon D-80. It takes fabulous pictures but when I move up I'm going to really look hard at the Canons. I have always liked Nikon glass in scopes and binos so I just went with Nikon for my first DSLR.

I was actually hoping to get more serious about photography but it was either coach my daughter or photography. I'll wait on the photography.

Don't pay attention to bullshit marketing and testimonials from people that were given complete setups to be seen using them. Hold the camera in your hands, feel is what is important once you get up to a price range over a grand. I have seen a lot of incredible shots taken with D80s, go to Nikonia and look at the galleries. The reason I love Nikons is the way they feel in my hands, almost all of them seem like they were designed for me. The logic of their layouts is also what has always attracted me to them. Those things and the quality of the construction. I have an FE that is 30 years old that I have taken thousands of shots with...... the film advance feels better than it did when I first got it, it still works flawlessly.

I have used Pentax 35 mm and 6x7 and they weren't even close to the quality of construction...... I have had to send the 6x7 back to Pentax 3 times to have the film advance mechanism rebuilt. I do love looking through it's viewfinder though and it, loaded with Fuji Velvia 50, is a kick in the butt.

Dilloduck
06-20-2008, 08:26 PM

Im about to pick up my old pentax ME Super 35mm again too----cheap digitals are easy but won't get the job done imho.

Sitarro
06-20-2008, 08:38 PM
Im about to pick up my old pentax ME Super 35mm again too----cheap digitals are easy but won't get the job done imho.

I had a Pentax K500, it's fastest shutter speed was 500th of a second, it was a great workhorse. Because of it, I bought an ME Super myself and for whatever reason couldn't shoot anything I liked with it. It seemed like a well built camera although it never felt that good in my hands...... I sold it and then bought the FE. Film still has a quality to it that is hard to define. I do love the fact that with digital I can open in Photoshop immediately but the fact that I have Photoshop makes me shoot with a different mindset that doesn't necessarily make for better shots..... does that make any sense?:laugh2:

Dilloduck
06-20-2008, 08:51 PM
I had a Pentax K500, it's fastest shutter speed was 500th of a second, it was a great workhorse. Because of it, I bought an ME Super myself and for whatever reason couldn't shoot anything I liked with it. It seemed like a well built camera although it never felt that good in my hands...... I sold it and then bought the FE. Film still has a quality to it that is hard to define. I do love the fact that with digital I can open in Photoshop immediately but the fact that I have Photoshop makes me shoot with a different mindset that doesn't necessarily make for better shots..... does that make any sense?:laugh2:

Absolutely--I think WAY more with film, bracket, and wait to get my prizes developed. It just feels like I'm more of an artist. AND IT CLICKS WHEN I PRESS THE SHUTTER !!!!!! :laugh2:

hjmick
06-20-2008, 10:06 PM

I have a 22 year old Pentax A3000 that I love. It needs cleaning and won't be making the trip to ALaska. I am truly disappointed.

crin63
06-21-2008, 12:17 AM
I really like my Nikon D-80. I have the 18-200 lens on it. That does nearly everything I want to do. The one flaw with the lens is that when you point it down it scopes out and thats a bit annoying but it takes nice pics.

I'm really leaning toward an 80-400 for my next lens. I need more distance on occasion. How well do the 2x multipliers work?