PDA

View Full Version : Best British Band

hjmick
05-30-2008, 10:36 PM
Who's your choice?

It would be easy to say "The Beatles!" We all recognize what they contributed to music on the whole and there is no denying that they were a great band, but are they the best British band ever? Some could argue for The Rolling Stones, but, despite how much I enjoy their music, I'm not convinced they're among the "best" Britain gave us. Oasis certainly ranks among the top ten, their first two albums were damn near perfect. The Stone Roses? Waterfall makes me want to get up and dance. We can thank the Brits for the best Punk band ever, The Clash. They beat any other Punk band on their worst day and their lyrics were superior. Their only competition might be The Ramones, but we're talking about Brits here.

One of my all time favorites, and a band I believe is underrated and frequently overlooked, is The Kinks. They deserve a spot in the top five.

So, who do you think is the best British band ever? T. Rex? The La's? The Rolling Stones? The Clash? Pet Shop Boys? The Streets? Coldplay?

Dilloduck
05-30-2008, 10:43 PM
Who's your choice?

It would be easy to say "The Beatles!" We all recognize what they contributed to music on the whole and there is no denying that they were a great band, but are they the best British band ever? Some could argue for The Rolling Stones, but, despite how much I enjoy their music, I'm not convinced they're among the "best" Britain gave us. Oasis certainly ranks among the top ten, their first two albums were damn near perfect. The Stone Roses? Waterfall makes me want to get up and dance. We can thank the Brits for the best Punk band ever, The Clash. They beat any other Punk band on their worst day and their lyrics were superior. Their only competition might be The Ramones, but we're talking about Brits here.

One of my all time favorites, and a band I believe is underrated and frequently overlooked, is The Kinks. They deserve a spot in the top five.

So, who do you think is the best British band ever? T. Rex? The La's? The Rolling Stones? The Clash? Pet Shop Boys? The Streets? Coldplay?

Gotta agree with your Kinks suggestion ! And don't forget the Zombies

hjmick
05-30-2008, 10:47 PM
The Zombies, just one of many unnamed, worthy contenders.

Trinity
05-30-2008, 10:49 PM
I got to go with Def Leppard here

hjmick
05-30-2008, 10:54 PM
You can't forget Led Zeppelin, The Who, Cream, Queen, Dire Straits, and Pink Floyd. The British contribution to music is rich and deep.

Dilloduck
05-30-2008, 11:06 PM
You can't forget Led Zeppelin, The Who, Cream, Queen, Dire Straits, and Pink Floyd. The British contribution to music is rich and deep.

Keep going Genesis, Yes ---

hjmick
05-30-2008, 11:11 PM
Black Sabbath, The Dave Clark Five, Manfred Mann, Jethro Tull, Marillion, ELP, King Crimson, The Animals, Blues Incorporated...

Dilloduck
05-30-2008, 11:24 PM
Black Sabbath, The Dave Clark Five, Manfred Mann, Jethro Tull, Marillion, ELP, King Crimson, The Animals, Blues Incorporated...

You asshole---you made me have to go through boxes of shit to hook my speakers back up. :laugh2:

hjmick
05-30-2008, 11:26 PM
You asshole---you made me have to go through boxes of shit to hook my speakers back up. :laugh2:

That'll teach you to pack that shit up! :lol:

Dilloduck
05-30-2008, 11:30 PM
That'll teach you to pack that shit up! :lol:

I moved and you forced me to unpack prematurely !!!! Thanks tho--been needing to do that !! :2up:

hjmick
05-30-2008, 11:34 PM
So it's a good thing, cool.

To continue...

Who can forget the glam rock stylings of The Sweet (as they were referred to prior to 1974/75)?

Deep Purple...

Sitarro
05-30-2008, 11:36 PM

Did you have to find those 8 track tapes too?:laugh2::laugh2:

Dilloduck
05-30-2008, 11:43 PM
Did you have to find those 8 track tapes too?:laugh2::laugh2:

:fu: and my 45's too !!! :laugh2:

Sitarro
05-30-2008, 11:46 PM
The Beatles and all they spawned, Pink Floyd, Allan Parson's Project, Yes, Tears For Fears, Everything But The Girl, Eurythmics, Massive Attack, Muse and of course The Moody Blues.......

Sitarro
05-30-2008, 11:47 PM

78s? Hehe

Dilloduck
05-30-2008, 11:47 PM
So it's a good thing, cool.

To continue...

Who can forget the glam rock stylings of The Sweet (as they were referred to prior to 1974/75)?

Deep Purple...

ahhh deep purple---loved em til they blew my frickin eardrums out in Denver. Only song I could make out was "Smoke on the Water" I'm lucky Savoy Brown headed up the show !

Dilloduck
05-30-2008, 11:48 PM
78s? Hehe

ya ya--all that shit too :laugh2:

Sitarro
05-30-2008, 11:49 PM

Hey, I remember 4 track! My brother put one in his 67 Mustang fastback.... we were blown away.:salute:

Dilloduck
05-30-2008, 11:49 PM
ok dammit--I'll say it---MOODY BLUES !!!!:clap:

hjmick
05-30-2008, 11:50 PM
Hey, I remember 4 track! My brother put one in his 67 Mustang fastback.... we were blown away.:salute:

My first introduction to listening to music outside of the radio came by way of my father's reel to reel tapes.

hjmick
05-30-2008, 11:51 PM
ok dammit--I'll say it---MOODY BLUES !!!!:clap:

Nothing wrong with the Moody Blues, better than Genesis, at least Genesis post Peter Gabriel. Certainly post The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

Dilloduck
05-30-2008, 11:59 PM
My first introduction to listening to music outside of the radio came by way of my father's reel to reel tapes.

My dad was a DJ at this 2 bit college radio station in South Dakota. 2 Watts or something but he brought home some great 45s ! When he went reel to reel we were in heaven !!

Sitarro
05-31-2008, 12:03 AM
Did someone say Deep Purple? Check out the Marshall cabinets!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jp3de50_d8&feature=related

Dilloduck
05-31-2008, 12:04 AM
thanks !!!!! How about laying some Alan Parsons Project on us !

hjmick
05-31-2008, 12:06 AM
Ask and ye shall recieve:

Pen4dMAv7zY

Sitarro
05-31-2008, 12:07 AM

This is what Ritchie Blackmore is doing now.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB3GND8Lotg&feature=related

Dilloduck
05-31-2008, 12:08 AM
damn--memories ----tons of em---damn !

hjmick
05-31-2008, 12:11 AM
This is what Ritchie Blackmore is doing now.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB3GND8Lotg&feature=related

He's a chick now?!! :eek:

:lmao:

Sitarro
05-31-2008, 12:12 AM
Ask and ye shall recieve:

Pen4dMAv7zY

I talked to Alan at a record store before a concert he put on here, great guy, a bit deep! What a concert, my brother and I were yelling "Fuck Yes, Play all night!" but then Yes came out and blew us away! It was about 8 years ago, easily one of the best nights of music I ever experienced.

Sitarro
05-31-2008, 12:13 AM
He's a chick now?!! :eek:

:lmao:

No, that's WHO he is doing now.:laugh2:

Dilloduck
05-31-2008, 12:15 AM
I talked to Alan at a record store before a concert he put on here, great guy, a bit deep! What a concert, my brother and I were yelling "Fuck Yes, Play all night!" but then Yes came out and blew us away! It was about 8 years ago, easily one of the best nights of music I ever experienced.

HAd to be awesome---Games People Play--Lets talk about Me--Don't answer me -----and then YES

hjmick
05-31-2008, 12:15 AM
Alan Parsons and Yes on the same bill? Oh hell yes, that would be a great night of music.

Dilloduck
05-31-2008, 12:20 AM

ouch on the Marshall cabinets--even with my fingers in my ears they hurt and knocked the wind out of my chest. ahhhhh the good old days !!!

Dilloduck
05-31-2008, 12:23 AM
Procol Harum --Conquistador------guess I need to learn how to post crap from you tube huh?

hjmick
05-31-2008, 12:30 AM
HAd to be awesome---Games People Play--Lets talk about Me--Don't answer me -----and then YES

OOBP2hmubpA

K7-_0-UP1VI

Abbey Marie
05-31-2008, 12:36 AM
1. The Beatles
2. Blind Faith

Dilloduck
05-31-2008, 12:41 AM
1. The Beatles
2. Blind Faith

I really scored big and saw Blind Faith in Hawaii--:clap:

Abbey Marie
05-31-2008, 12:44 AM
I really scored big and saw Blind Faith in Hawaii--:clap:

Lucky you! Awesome group. I listen to them in the car a lot.

Sitarro
05-31-2008, 12:47 AM
Alan Parsons and Yes on the same bill? Oh hell yes, that would be a great night of music.

Definitely outstanding. Alan played keyboards and sang a couple of songs but had an incredible band assembled..... first time I had heard of him touring. I saw Yes numerous times in the old days while doing a wide variety of enhancing, recreational drugs, always flawless. Jon Anderson never missed a note.

Memory flash..... one of my favorites from Yes. Chris Squire's Bass playing kicks such ass! Steve Howe, nothing can be said to live up to his talent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ-XKP7Vd_0&feature=related

Dilloduck
05-31-2008, 12:51 AM
Lucky you! Awesome group. I listen to them in the car a lot.

Hawaii was da bomb for concerts---'69-'71. Can't begin to count em all. Most expensive tickets--$10 . The whole damn Woodstock line up came through there . YA YA--I'm OLD !!!!:cool:

Abbey Marie
05-31-2008, 12:53 AM
Hawaii was da bomb for concerts---'69-'71. Can't begin to count em all. Most expensive tickets--$10 . The whole damn Woodstock line up came through there . YA YA--I'm OLD !!!!:cool:

Were you there on R&R?

hjmick
05-31-2008, 12:56 AM
I saw the original Asia back in '82 and I would have to agree, Steve Howe is amazing. And Carl Palmer is no slouch on the skins.

Dilloduck
05-31-2008, 12:57 AM
Were you there on R&R?

nope --graduated from High School there and went to one year of college. I can even remember some of it !!!!:cheers2:

Guess we better include Hendrix huh?

hjmick
05-31-2008, 12:59 AM

Was he British? Black Irish maybe?

Abbey Marie
05-31-2008, 01:00 AM
nope --graduated from High School there and went to one year of college. I can even remember some of it !!!!:cheers2:

High school in Hawaii- now I am picturing you as a surfer dude. :)

Dilloduck
05-31-2008, 01:01 AM
Was he British? Black Irish maybe?

Ok guess we need an official ruling on that one :laugh2:

Grand Funk Railroad paved the way for Jefferson airplane, which cleared the way for Jefferson starship. The stage was now set for the Alan Parsons project, which I believe was some sort of hovercraft. -- Homer Simpson [3]

hjmick
05-31-2008, 01:05 AM
Grand Funk Railroad paved the way for Jefferson airplane, which cleared the way for Jefferson starship. The stage was now set for the Alan Parsons project, which I believe was some sort of hovercraft. -- Homer Simpson

tqos3j07jzc

Dilloduck
05-31-2008, 01:08 AM
tqos3j07jzc

:lol::lol:

Dilloduck
05-31-2008, 01:18 AM
High school in Hawaii- now I am picturing you as a surfer dude. :)

Skipped many a class to hit the waves----I was very bad :laugh2:

which reminds me---The Police--and Sting !!

Abbey Marie
05-31-2008, 01:20 AM
Skipped many a class to hit the waves----I was very bad :laugh2:

which reminds me---The Police--and Sting !!

It sounds good to me. I was a real goody two shoes, except one day. And of course, I got caught. Those darn nuns!

Dilloduck
05-31-2008, 01:25 AM
It sounds good to me. I was a real goody two shoes, except one day. And of course, I got caught. Those darn nuns!

well---we all know how people outgrow those shoes don't we !!!:coffee:

Abbey Marie
05-31-2008, 01:28 AM
well---we all know how people outgrow those shoes don't we !!!:coffee:

Indeed. :salute:

Dilloduck
05-31-2008, 01:34 AM
Damn you again HJ----it's WAY past my bedtime and Im' hooked on old tunes again. :finger3:
If I end up calling an old girlfriend here it's all your fault !!!!!:laugh2:

Roomy
05-31-2008, 01:46 AM
Hendrix was African American/Native American but we'll have him if you don't want him:cool:

Slade were one of my favourite Brit bands you haven't mentioned.

Dilloduck
05-31-2008, 01:49 AM
Hendrix was African American/Native American but we'll have him if you don't want him:cool:

well he lived there for awhile dammit--just trying to be nice to you kidney pie eaters. ty for Alan Parsons tho----love this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZyNKrYo9I4

diuretic
05-31-2008, 03:25 AM
Ok guess we need an official ruling on that one :laugh2:

Well if you squint your eyes tightly you could mistake him for Phil Lynott :laugh2:

diuretic
05-31-2008, 03:27 AM

Noddy Holder...takes me back.

The Who? Have they got a guernsey yet?

diuretic
05-31-2008, 03:28 AM
The Animals.

jackass
05-31-2008, 09:04 AM
I really dont think this is a proper question. Is there really any discussion about who the best English band is? Maybe it should be asked this way:

EXCEPT for the Beatles, who is the best English band?? :)

diuretic
05-31-2008, 09:35 AM
I really dont think this is a proper question. Is there really any discussion about who the best English band is? Maybe it should be asked this way:

EXCEPT for the Beatles, who is the best English band?? :)

Damn right! :cheers2:

namvet
05-31-2008, 10:50 AM
the rolling stones................

gabosaurus
05-31-2008, 11:44 AM
Hate to be conformist, but The Beatles are the Gold Standard. They are the band which all others (British or otherwise) are measured by. The Beatles are in a class by themselves.

That having been said, one of the best British music bands is Roxy Music. "Siren" is one of the greatest albums of all time. My husband is a huge Slade and ELO fan.

Not to mention all the great British heavy metal bands: Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Raven, Budgie, UFO, et all.

Roomy
05-31-2008, 12:08 PM
Hate to be conformist, but The Beatles are the Gold Standard. They are the band which all others (British or otherwise) are measured by. The Beatles are in a class by themselves.

That having been said, one of the best British music bands is Roxy Music. "Siren" is one of the greatest albums of all time. My husband is a huge Slade and ELO fan.

Not to mention all the great British heavy metal bands: Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Raven, Budgie, UFO, et all.

A man after my own heart, you must love him an awful lot?:cool:

dan
05-31-2008, 02:01 PM
A man after my own heart, you must love him an awful lot?:cool:

:gay:

Roomy
05-31-2008, 02:03 PM
:gay:

His taste in bands for fucks sake...:laugh2:

you twat:laugh2:

Did I mention Free and Bad Company? No? I didn't think so:cool:

Roomy
05-31-2008, 02:05 PM
One of the best albums ever in the whole history of the world is 'Sad Wings Of Destiny' by Judas Priest.:cool:

Dilloduck
05-31-2008, 11:31 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D2sfelvHAlU&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D2sfelvHAlU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

gabosaurus
06-01-2008, 01:09 AM
One of the best albums ever in the whole history of the world is 'Sad Wings Of Destiny' by Judas Priest.:cool:

And to think my husband opposes taking my daughter to see Judas Priest and Motorhead. No sense of history!!

We are going to see Springsteen, though.

namvet
06-01-2008, 08:00 AM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D2sfelvHAlU&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D2sfelvHAlU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

yeah one of my all time fav rockers !!!!

qYS732zyYfU

dan
06-01-2008, 11:57 AM
What do Eric Clapton and coffee have in common?
They both suck without Cream!

Abbey Marie
06-01-2008, 12:04 PM

You know, that is a BANNABLE offense right there if there ever was one!!!

dan
06-01-2008, 12:49 PM
You know, that is a BANNABLE offense right there if there ever was one!!!

:laugh2: I will admit that the coda to "Layla" is one of the best pieces of music ever, but the rest of his solo work I can take or leave.

Abbey Marie
06-01-2008, 02:53 PM
:laugh2: I will admit that the coda to "Layla" is one of the best pieces of music ever, but the rest of his solo work I can take or leave.

Let it Rain is a masterpiece.

dan
06-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Let it Rain is a masterpiece.

Different strokes, I guess....

Abbey Marie
06-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Different strokes, I guess....

:beer:

Trigg
06-01-2008, 03:37 PM
I was absolutely in love in Duran Duran in high school.

Other than them I'd say The Rolling Stones.

Sitarro
06-01-2008, 03:39 PM

Clapton, because he isn't confined to that little trio any longer, has the ability to work with some legendary musicians like the incredible Joe Sample on piano in this video. David Sanborn of course and Marcus Miller using the Bass Clarinet as the primary bass for the song....... this is the creative music at it's best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juPxfHO50oo&feature=related

jackass
06-01-2008, 03:44 PM
Sorry but I cant stand Jazz....

dan
06-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Clapton, because he isn't confined to that little trio any longer, has the ability to work with some legendary musicians like the incredible Joe Sample on piano in this video. David Sanborn of course and Marcus Miller using the Bass Clarinet as the primary bass for the song....... this is the creative music at it's best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juPxfHO50oo&feature=related

'This video is no longer available.'

namvet
06-01-2008, 05:08 PM

funny you should mention this. I still have a Teac reel to reel I bought over sea's during the Nam war. these were a HOT item with servicemen. everybody brought a recorder and hi fi stereo home. funny how I carried it around with me all these years. Akai also made one with a built in 8 track player. record 8 tracks to the reel recorder.
their still for sale today here (here)

http://auctionwagon.s3.amazonaws.com/G2SM49889910-f592-4944-a0be-8d3193a6bc0a-13562.jpg

Dilloduck
06-01-2008, 05:19 PM

I would have never figured you for the jealous type, Dan. Clapton is a phenomenal musician and performer. Untouchable ! :salute:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FC1EZcrZEIs&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FC1EZcrZEIs&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Sitarro
06-01-2008, 05:34 PM
I would have never figured you for the jealous type, Dan. Clapton is a phenomenal musician and performer. Untouchable ! :salute:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FC1EZcrZEIs&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FC1EZcrZEIs&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

From Wiki.......

"Dhani Harrison. Dhani looks so remarkably like his father that McCartney quipped on stage at Concert for George: "Olivia told me that it looks like George stayed young and we all got old." "

dan
06-01-2008, 05:42 PM

Haha, no jealously here, dillo. The guy's a better guitarist than I'll ever be, no doubt. I'm not big on blues, and his work is generally very blues-oriented, I guess that's why I'm not really a fan.

Abbey Marie
06-01-2008, 07:11 PM
After all these years, the guitar at the end of Let it Rain still gives me goose bumps.

dan
06-01-2008, 07:51 PM
You guys think I'm crazy now, wait'll you read this:

While I certainly wouldn't say they're better than the all-time best, I think the current best band out of England would definitely be Radiohead. As pretentious as they can be, the music is pretty great and has been for over ten years now.

My favorite song, Paranoid Android (video is pretty NSFW, but the song isn't)
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/szdWPWnnNls&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/szdWPWnnNls&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Fake Plastic Trees [this one's work-safe]
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5LeLAELIxKY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5LeLAELIxKY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

And, also, waaaaaaayyy better than Eric Clapton. :finger3:

gabosaurus
06-01-2008, 11:10 PM
I don't get the hype about Radiohead. Or Coldplay. I find both to be boring.
To each his own, I suppose.

hjmick
06-02-2008, 09:26 AM
We must not forget these guys:

Stonehenge:

WXGbwIkvh38

Big Bottoms:

LMG87axdarw

Bitch School:

El8m8F7Cu1s

Interview clip:

d54UU-fPIsY

dan
06-02-2008, 12:46 PM
We must not forget these guys:

Stonehenge:

WXGbwIkvh38

Big Bottoms:

LMG87axdarw

Bitch School:

El8m8F7Cu1s

Interview clip:

d54UU-fPIsY

"I call this one 'Lick My Love-Pump'".

Dilloduck
06-02-2008, 05:37 PM
You guys think I'm crazy now, wait'll you read this:

While I certainly wouldn't say they're better than the all-time best, I think the current best band out of England would definitely be Radiohead. As pretentious as they can be, the music is pretty great and has been for over ten years now.

My favorite song, Paranoid Android (video is pretty NSFW, but the song isn't)
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/szdWPWnnNls&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/szdWPWnnNls&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Fake Plastic Trees [this one's work-safe]
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5LeLAELIxKY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5LeLAELIxKY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

And, also, waaaaaaayyy better than Eric Clapton. :finger3:

Oh Bullshit--and that's a pic of PeeWee Herman. :laugh2:

dan
06-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Oh Bullshit--and that's a pic of PeeWee Herman. :laugh2:

:laugh2:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kza18sC5XvU&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kza18sC5XvU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Better than Clapton!