PDA

View Full Version : Watching TV with kids

gabosaurus
05-31-2008, 11:59 AM
My husband and I were discussing this last night. What kind of TV and movies that we will allow our daughter to watch.
Most current prime time TV is garbage and I am not going to have it on. I would prefer things like The History Channel and some True TV shows. And baseball, of course. :D

I have decided that we will start with the basics: Monty Python and Blazing Saddles. I will explain that they are both satire, meant to cause laughter. And that extreme laughter is good for the soul.

5stringJeff
05-31-2008, 12:22 PM
How old is she? 6? Satire might be a bit over her head. History Channel, Science Channel, Discovery Channel, etc., would be fine.

Trinity
05-31-2008, 12:33 PM
You might want to keep in mind, that she has probably already been exposed to the garbage tv. And your likely to get a hissy fit, when you tell her she can't watch Hannah Montana. :)

seriously though it's all garbage and I have told my boy's from the age of 2 it is purely make believe so don't believe anything you see or hear on tv.

dan
05-31-2008, 01:57 PM
She'll like parts of Blazing Saddles, and you'll like getting calls from her teachers because she's going around saying "the new sherriff is a nigger!"

gabosaurus
05-31-2008, 02:27 PM
My daughter-to-be celebrated her 7th birthday on May 30. Strangely enough, she has little interest in the usual children's shows. I think this is because they have only one TV at the home where she currently lives, and the administrators decide what is played.

I did ask her about Hannah Montana. Her (unexpected) reply was "that stuff is really stupid."
She reads a lot and is really interested in movies and the movie industry. Which has my Film School graduate sister close to frothing at the mouth. :lmao:

I fear my daughter will spend a lot of time watching the really bad movies that my sister loves so much. Which is OK, as long as my sister never shows any of her senior film projects. :eek:

I will stress the importance of not quoting lines from Blazing Saddles. But she will be free to say things like "Of course it doesn't come with wafers!"

82Marine89
05-31-2008, 02:29 PM
My husband and I were discussing this last night. What kind of TV and movies that we will allow our daughter to watch.
Most current prime time TV is garbage and I am not going to have it on. I would prefer things like The History Channel and some True TV shows. And baseball, of course. :D

I have decided that we will start with the basics: Monty Python and Blazing Saddles. I will explain that they are both satire, meant to cause laughter. And that extreme laughter is good for the soul.

Dora the Explorer, Sponge Bob, Jimmy Neutron are a few to start with. She's a kid, let her be one.

gabosaurus
05-31-2008, 02:58 PM
82Marine, that is where the real discussion is. We need to find appropriate children's TV for a child who has never watched much TV.

I really dislike SpongeBob. I don't think the language and attitudes are appropriate for small children. Some of the others you mention, I don't know about.

Anyone else have age-appropriate suggestions?

Mr. P
05-31-2008, 03:13 PM
82Marine, that is where the real discussion is. We need to find appropriate children's TV for a child who has never watched much TV.

I really dislike SpongeBob. I don't think the language and attitudes are appropriate for small children. Some of the others you mention, I don't know about.

Difficult question, Gab.

She's 7? It's not like starting from square one. I think a bit of investigation into what she has watched is in order. Maybe then you can make some adjustments or whatever.

In my home we seldom had the TV on. When it was we were watching PBS kid shows or some kid video we rented for her. Lots of books and outdoor time exploring etc, it all worked out.

dan
05-31-2008, 03:41 PM
I can only offer examples from my childhood, but one genuinely good show that I still enjoy watching today is The Adventures of Pete and Pete. The first two seasons are out on DVD, you should watch it, see if it's something she might like.

Of course, I loved Ren and Stimpy back in the day, but it's certainly not going to expand her IQ by any means.

And, of course, the classic Looney Tunes. I don't know if kids today would like that or not, though.

Abbey Marie
05-31-2008, 03:44 PM
Don't let her get inured to violence at a young age, Gabby. IMO, it can be a short cut to losing compassion for people and animals.

jackass
05-31-2008, 04:25 PM
Well of course all of the Disney movies are good. We watch everything our kids watch before they get to watch it. We finally let my daughter watch Hannah Montana this year and have regretted it ever since!! ( :laugh2: )
Spongebob isnt bad. Dora is a little young for a 7 yr old. My kids (and me) still like Veggie Tales very much. My kids like the Discovery and Animal Planet channels. They just watched Abbot and Costello meet the Wolf Man today and really enjoyed it.

Dilloduck
05-31-2008, 04:25 PM
She will learn FAR more from how you and your hubby behave and her peers than whatever she happens to catch on the boob tube. She will also pick up on the fact that you are obsessing over the fact that you want to turn her into something that YOU want her to be.

Trinity
05-31-2008, 06:38 PM
My daughter-to-be celebrated her 7th birthday on May 30. Strangely enough, she has little interest in the usual children's shows. I think this is because they have only one TV at the home where she currently lives, and the administrators decide what is played.

I did ask her about Hannah Montana. Her (unexpected) reply was "that stuff is really stupid."
She reads a lot and is really interested in movies and the movie industry. Which has my Film School graduate sister close to frothing at the mouth. :lmao:

I fear my daughter will spend a lot of time watching the really bad movies that my sister loves so much. Which is OK, as long as my sister never shows any of her senior film projects. :eek:

I will stress the importance of not quoting lines from Blazing Saddles. But she will be free to say things like "Of course it doesn't come with wafers!"

The best thing you can do is to let her be a kid. Whatever she decides she wants to watch, within some sort of limits based on her age, most tv shows give you some sort of rating now days. Watch it with her, then discuss it with her, after it is over. See if she understands what she just watched and go from there, it is basically going to be a trial and error.

Said1
05-31-2008, 06:49 PM
What, no Johnny Bravo? :laugh2:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/x5s7UyAmLXY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/x5s7UyAmLXY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Pale Rider
05-31-2008, 11:05 PM

She'll like parts of Blazing Saddles, and you'll like getting calls from her teachers because she's going around saying "the new sherriff is a nigger!"

Or have to explain what Harvey kormen is doing as he dry humps a statue.

Sitarro
05-31-2008, 11:28 PM

Funny that in our progressive attempt to ban everything, I have nodoubt that neither of these 2 classics could even be made today.

gabosaurus
06-01-2008, 12:26 AM
Don't let her get inured to violence at a young age, Gabby. IMO, it can be a short cut to losing compassion for people and animals.

There will be NO violent content whatsoever. That is why there will be no prime time network shows. Most are inappropriate for a young person.
I hadn't thought of things like The Discovery Channel. That's a good idea.

One thing I watched when I was in Australia was The Koala Brothers. They impart their messages through adventures.

Keep those suggestions coming. I appreciate all of them. :)

Sitarro
06-01-2008, 01:59 AM
There will be NO violent content whatsoever. That is why there will be no prime time network shows. Most are inappropriate for a young person.
I hadn't thought of things like The Discovery Channel. That's a good idea.

One thing I watched when I was in Australia was The Koala Brothers. They impart their messages through adventures.

Keep those suggestions coming. I appreciate all of them. :)

Sex in the City reruns, Will and Grace, Queer Eye, all of those wholesome liberal based shows........ she just might need to see that it's OK to be a lesbian, right? She might just have a queer teacher, need to get her ready to be as tolerant as you are, after all 7 years old...... her school will probably be passing out all of those great homosexual/lesbian readers.:cool:

It's not so easy being a "progressive" when you have someone else that you are responsible for, is it? Karma can be a real serious bitch sometimes.

Gaffer
06-01-2008, 07:50 AM
hamas produces a variety of children's shows that gab will want to add to her library of progressive shows. They have sesame street characters and Disney like characters that teach about martyrdom and how to blow things up and hatred of jews and infidels. Must see tv for any progressive young mind.

82Marine89
06-01-2008, 08:36 AM

Spend some time watching Disney and Nickelodeon. There are good shows and bad.

Kathianne
06-01-2008, 09:14 AM
Get video, "Bill Nye, the Science Guy". There's like 30 tapes and I've yet to meet a kid that didn't love them.

Trigg
06-01-2008, 03:08 PM
my kids love Animal Planet, Discovery Channel is also good.

I don't think Blazing Saddles is a good idea for that age though, to many things to explain.

If you don't want her watching a lot of the crap that is on, why not get some old Disney movies.

Mr. P
06-01-2008, 03:32 PM
I loved to watch "The Magic School Bus" and "Wishbone" with my daughter..both great shows on PBS...I don't know if they are still on now.

jackass
06-01-2008, 03:41 PM
Most things on Disney Channel are ok.

crin63
06-01-2008, 05:00 PM
My 2 cents: View everything with her or before her. With her, you can address the things you find inappropriate or just turn it off. Additionally the things that are positive can be pointed out and praised. Prior to her viewing, you can decide if she should really watch it all or what areas need to be addressed positive or negative.

If you are not familiar with it a Clearplay (clearplay.com) dvd player lets you filter movies. You can turn an "R" rated movie into a "G" rated movie. I have 2 Clearplay dvd players in my home. They do a nice job filtering movies.

I guess it all depends on the values you want your daughter to learn.

If you want your daughter to think all dads are complete morons never to be listened too, respected or honored and that as long as she follows her own heart (desires) in complete opposition to her father that everything will turn out perfect then let her watch Disney movies from the last 2 decades.

Mr. P
06-01-2008, 05:40 PM
My 2 cents: View everything with her or before her. With her, you can address the things you find inappropriate or just turn it off. Additionally the things that are positive can be pointed out and praised. Prior to her viewing, you can decide if she should really watch it all or what areas need to be addressed positive or negative.

If you are not familiar with it a Clearplay (clearplay.com) dvd player lets you filter movies. You can turn an "R" rated movie into a "G" rated movie. I have 2 Clearplay dvd players in my home. They do a nice job filtering movies.

I guess it all depends on the values you want your daughter to learn.

If you want your daughter to think all dads are complete morons never to be listened too, respected or honored and that as long as she follows her own heart (desires) in complete opposition to her father that everything will turn out perfect then let her watch Disney movies from the last 2 decades.

Disney ain't what it used to be,,for sure. I really miss Walt.

dan
06-01-2008, 05:56 PM

Other than The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, A Bug's Life, Toy Story 1 and 2, Chicken Little, Sky High, etc. etc. etc. etc.?

Abbey Marie
06-01-2008, 06:54 PM

Good point. Lots of TV shows and commercials do this, too.

jackass
06-01-2008, 07:21 PM

Not all Disneys are like this nowadays. I do agree though it really is a disturbibg trend. Watch Proud Family for an example of one that does.

gabosaurus
06-01-2008, 10:26 PM
I have a family movie filter, otherwise known as my sister. She already has a list of kid-friendly movies ready to go. Roger Rabbit is certainly one of them.

crin63
06-01-2008, 11:56 PM
Not all Disneys are like this nowadays. I do agree though it really is a disturbibg trend. Watch Proud Family for an example of one that does.

Mea Culpa, I was speaking in generalities since I haven't seen them all.

I'm just really tired of all the attacks on the family unit and that is one of the attacks that really infuriates me. Dads are generally portrayed as irrelevant in their children's lives and complete bumbling idiots or stupid unreasonable tyrants.

Kathianne
06-02-2008, 04:39 AM
I loved to watch "The Magic School Bus" and "Wishbone" with my daughter..both great shows on PBS...I don't know if they are still on now.

The Magic School Bus and Reading Rainbow were both good.

Kathianne
06-02-2008, 05:56 AM
Hey Gabby,

I ran across this and thought you might find it interesting:

http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/08/06/01/2234225.shtml

"When I was growing up, my Dad let my brother and me have the run of his wood shop, and kept up a steady stream of Lego kits, Estes model rockets, chemistry sets, Heathkit projects, and other fun science stuff from the Edmund Scientific catalog, and the rest was history. I'd like to give my kids that kind of experience. If your kids were interested in science, computers, robots, and building stuff, how would you build and outfit a lab/shop for them (and you) to play in?"

Some good information at the links at site.

Check this out too:

http://pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/archives2/012373.php

Mr. P
06-02-2008, 07:54 AM
The Magic School Bus and Reading Rainbow were both good.

Totally forgot about Reading Rainbow it was good.

Gadget (fmr Marine)
06-02-2008, 08:25 AM

There are 2 really good networks for children, one is Noggin (for pre-K kids) and the other is Sprout. Neither has commercials, so you won't have to fight off the kids "needs" to have all the crap advertisers are so adept at delivering.

Good luck to you.....

KitchenKitten99
06-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Most shows on PBS are preschool type shows that would probably be pretty dull for her. If you go to www.pbs.org , there is a list of shows and what the object of the shows are.

My kids don't watch actual tv much, other than PBS, but my oldest is only 5. If we could just pay only for the Discovery/Animal Planet/TLC/Bravo channels, we would, but I am not paying $75+/month for 98% junk on TV for the little that we do watch. Everything else is either DVDs or nothing on at all. We also have cut our DVD-buying down to practically nothing now that we have gotten into NetFlix. Unlimited rentals, two at a time, for $14.90/month.

As far as movies on, it depends on the style of movie. I have let my 5yo watch Robin Hood Men in Tights with me. Of course he doesn't understand a lot of the jokes, but he loves the slapstick pratfalls and thinks that the part where Robin tries to cross the bridge and Little John challenges him is the funniest thing he's seen. So far he hasn't asked me what much of the more risque jokes and conversations mean. Though I think at 7, your daughter will probably ask more questions than my 5yo.

I also let him watch the Harry Potter films, and so far, I haven't encountered any issues. I thought he might be too scared being as the 4th and 5th ones are very dark and scary, so I sat down with him while watching, and he didn't seem scared or upset through either of them. He likes to watch the dragon-chase scene in #4 and the duel between Dumbledore and Voldemort in #5. He will sometimes pretend to be Harry and use a stick as a wand and 'cast spells'.