View Full Version : Air Force Nuclear Weapon Sucurity "Unacceptable"

Psychoblues
06-01-2008, 03:40 AM
I have known this since about 1968.

"The same Air Force unit at Minot Air Force Base in North Dakota that was responsible for mishandling six nuclear cruise missiles last August failed key parts of a nuclear safety inspection this past weekend, according to a Defense Department report.

The 5th Bomb Wing was given an "unacceptable" grade in security of nuclear weapons, according to the review by the Defense Threat Reduction Agency. In another category, management and administration, it received a grade of "marginal," based on deficiencies in recording changes that affected the operational status of nuclear cruise missiles and gravity bombs.

Those are two areas where failures last summer allowed a B-52 at Minot to be loaded with six air-launched cruise missiles and flown to Barksdale Air Force Base in Louisiana without the pilots, air or ground crews knowing they contained nuclear warheads.

Among the problems found during last week's inspection: Internal security forces did not go to assigned defensive areas during an exercise that involved an attempt to steal a nuclear weapon; security guards failed to search an emergency vehicle that entered and left the nuclear storage area during that exercise; a security guard used his cellphone to play video games while on duty; and guards were unarmed at traffic control points along the route where nuclear weapons were to travel."

More: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/30/AR2008053003120.html?nav=rss_nation

Who else thunk it?

Sitarro
06-01-2008, 04:01 AM
That's alright, Obammy will fix it, he'll destroy all of our nukes and invite the world to take us over.

Psychoblues
06-01-2008, 04:38 AM
You are really afraid, aren't you, zero?

That's alright, Obammy will fix it, he'll destroy all of our nukes and invite the world to take us over.

Are you one of those "Mammy, Mammy, This is Sammy (zero) come home from Alabammy. Fix me some eggs and hammy, mammy?

Why don't you just learn to cook for yourself?

Sitarro
06-01-2008, 07:34 AM
You are really afraid, aren't you, zero?

Are you one of those "Mammy, Mammy, This is Sammy (zero) come home from Alabammy. Fix me some eggs and hammy, mammy?

Why don't you just learn to cook for yourself?

Do you find yourself funny or are you just that out of touch with reality? I haven't put anyone on ignore before, you are the first. You are so stupid that you are acting like a black hole of intelligence, the more of youir posts that I read the more IQ I lose..... ba bye.

Psychoblues
06-03-2008, 01:19 AM
You just can't take it can you, zero?

Do you find yourself funny or are you just that out of touch with reality? I haven't put anyone on ignore before, you are the first. You are so stupid that you are acting like a black hole of intelligence, the more of youir posts that I read the more IQ I lose..... ba bye.

Why do you lie? I think your IQ was set long before you ever met me. But, one excuse is as good as any other. Carry on, beotch. :pee:

LiberalNation
06-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Some high up people put on the chopping block.

Gates ousts Air Force leaders in historic shake-up

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080605/D9145EN80.html

WASHINGTON (AP) - Defense Secretary Robert Gates ousted the Air Force's top military and civilian leaders Thursday, holding them to account in a historic Pentagon shake-up after nuclear missile warhead fuses were mistakenly shipped to Taiwan.

Gates announced at a news conference that he had accepted the resignations of Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Michael Moseley and Air Force Secretary Michael Wynne - a highly unusual double firing.

Gates cited two embarrassing incidents in the past year. In one, a B-52 bomber was mistakenly armed with six nuclear-tipped cruise missiles and flown across the country without anyone realizing nuclear weapons were aboard.

In the other, four electrical fuses for ballistic missile warheads were mistakenly sent to Taiwan in the place of helicopter batteries. Gates said an internal investigation found a common theme in the B-52 and Taiwan incidents: "a decline in the Air Force's nuclear mission focus and performance."

In somber tones, Gates said his decision to remove Wynne and Moseley was based on the findings of an investigation of the Taiwan debacle by Adm. Kirkland Donald. The admiral found a "lack of a critical self-assessment culture" in the Air Force, making it unlikely that weaknesses in the way critical materials such as nuclear weapons are handled could be corrected, Gates said.

theHawk
06-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Some high up people put on the chopping block.

Gates ousts Air Force leaders in historic shake-up

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080605/D9145EN80.html

WASHINGTON (AP) - Defense Secretary Robert Gates ousted the Air Force's top military and civilian leaders Thursday, holding them to account in a historic Pentagon shake-up after nuclear missile warhead fuses were mistakenly shipped to Taiwan.

Gates announced at a news conference that he had accepted the resignations of Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Michael Moseley and Air Force Secretary Michael Wynne - a highly unusual double firing.

Gates cited two embarrassing incidents in the past year. In one, a B-52 bomber was mistakenly armed with six nuclear-tipped cruise missiles and flown across the country without anyone realizing nuclear weapons were aboard.

In the other, four electrical fuses for ballistic missile warheads were mistakenly sent to Taiwan in the place of helicopter batteries. Gates said an internal investigation found a common theme in the B-52 and Taiwan incidents: "a decline in the Air Force's nuclear mission focus and performance."

In somber tones, Gates said his decision to remove Wynne and Moseley was based on the findings of an investigation of the Taiwan debacle by Adm. Kirkland Donald. The admiral found a "lack of a critical self-assessment culture" in the Air Force, making it unlikely that weaknesses in the way critical materials such as nuclear weapons are handled could be corrected, Gates said.

I can't say that I am surprised they were fired. There's been alot of mistakes made and mishaps happening in the Air Force lately. A 1.4 billion dollar B-2 bomber crashed back in Feburary, we had a couple of T-38 crashes in Texas, a C-5 galaxy back in 2006, a T-1A Jayhawk crash at Laughlin, F-15 crash last year and plenty more.

And I have to agree with the "lack of a critical self-assessment culture in the Air Force". We've got too many smucks that are afraid to step on somebody's toes, and there is way too much ass-kissing going on. The AF needs a good 'ole kick in the ass IMO. This is a good shake up by Gates.
:salute:

ranger
06-07-2008, 09:36 AM
I agree. AF security is a joke and there does need to be a major kicking of some lazy or incompetent asses. Time to fire some people and give others reviews that make it hard to get a job at McDonalds.

Missileman
06-07-2008, 09:39 AM
I can't say that I am surprised they were fired. There's been alot of mistakes made and mishaps happening in the Air Force lately. A 1.4 billion dollar B-2 bomber crashed back in Feburary, we had a couple of T-38 crashes in Texas, a C-5 galaxy back in 2006, a T-1A Jayhawk crash at Laughlin, F-15 crash last year and plenty more.

Crashes are going to happen. Leadership can't prevent material failure or pilot error.

And I have to agree with the "lack of a critical self-assessment culture in the Air Force". We've got too many smucks that are afraid to step on somebody's toes, and there is way too much ass-kissing going on. The AF needs a good 'ole kick in the ass IMO. This is a good shake up by Gates.
:salute:

The failures are a direct result of the dissolution of SAC. They need to bring back the fist.

emmett
06-08-2008, 12:03 PM
I have known this since about 1968.

"The same Air Force unit at Minot Air Force Base in North Dakota that was responsible for mishandling six nuclear cruise missiles last August failed key parts of a nuclear safety inspection this past weekend, according to a Defense Department report.

The 5th Bomb Wing was given an "unacceptable" grade in security of nuclear weapons, according to the review by the Defense Threat Reduction Agency. In another category, management and administration, it received a grade of "marginal," based on deficiencies in recording changes that affected the operational status of nuclear cruise missiles and gravity bombs.

Those are two areas where failures last summer allowed a B-52 at Minot to be loaded with six air-launched cruise missiles and flown to Barksdale Air Force Base in Louisiana without the pilots, air or ground crews knowing they contained nuclear warheads.

Among the problems found during last week's inspection: Internal security forces did not go to assigned defensive areas during an exercise that involved an attempt to steal a nuclear weapon; security guards failed to search an emergency vehicle that entered and left the nuclear storage area during that exercise; a security guard used his cellphone to play video games while on duty; and guards were unarmed at traffic control points along the route where nuclear weapons were to travel."

More: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/30/AR2008053003120.html?nav=rss_nation

Who else thunk it?

You have certainly pointed out an important problem David. Obviously a result of an all VOLUNTEER military.

AFbombloader
06-08-2008, 04:10 PM
I agree. AF security is a joke and there does need to be a major kicking of some lazy or incompetent asses. Time to fire some people and give others reviews that make it hard to get a job at McDonalds.

What do any of you know about "Air Force Security"? Except what you read in the damn papers. The 2 security issues are just that, 2 issues. Yes they happened and yes they were bad, and I accept and agree with the removal of the Wynne and Moseley. One thing tho....they do not do security for the AF. They are the leaders, the figureheads. What about the thousands of young men and women who do it correctly every day? Oh thats right, that doesn't make the papers!

What does any of this have to do with security or with the removal of Wynne and Moseley? Aircraft crash, even when everything is done right. Incidents will happen. There are Army helo's crashing and Navy aircraft crashing and Marine aircraft crashing too, should all of the service heads be removed?

Hawk, we have a lot of critical self-assessment here in the AF. We have no choice but to have it. There are inspectons all the time. We just had one here, a UCI - Unit Compliance Inspection, and we will be having an ORI - Operational Readiness Inspection, soon. But I guess those don't count to you.

AF:salute:

Psychoblues
06-08-2008, 11:37 PM
Our, the United States Of America, military wasn't all Volunteer in 1968, emmett.

You have certainly pointed out an important problem David. Obviously a result of an all VOLUNTEER military.

As a Tennessean I've alway been a Volunteer as I am to this day!!!!!!!!!!!

You got something to say or are you just trying to confuse the subject, comrade? How does your volunteerism shape up?

actsnoblemartin
06-09-2008, 12:53 AM
Im sorry im no obama supporter but, obama will be worse then bush?

a retarded monkey couldnt be worse then bush

actsnoblemartin
06-09-2008, 12:54 AM
and god bless you for it, mate :cheers2:

Our, the United States Of America, military wasn't all Volunteer in 1968, emmett.

As a Tennessean I've alway been a Volunteer as I am to this day!!!!!!!!!!!

You got something to say or are you just trying to confuse the subject, comrade? How does your volunteerism shape up?

Psychoblues
06-09-2008, 01:15 AM
Thanks, martin!!!!!!

and god bless you for it, mate :cheers2:

Just where is your Volunteerism?

actsnoblemartin
06-09-2008, 01:18 AM
im volunteerism at the gay pride event, but other then that your right, any ideas on what i should volunteer for?

Thanks, martin!!!!!!

Just where is your Volunteerism?

Psychoblues
06-09-2008, 01:45 AM
Somehow I just knew that you would be intensely interested in gay pride events.

im volunteerism at the gay pride event, but other then that your right, any ideas on what i should volunteer for?

Did you take your girlfriend with you? Is she also intense?

actsnoblemartin
06-09-2008, 01:46 AM
she was the straw that broke the camels back, along with my gay best friend telling me he wants to get married, and to have people accept him, and stop being assholes to him.

And while i deeply respect dissent whether its this or the iraq war.

I believe people should have choices

thats what it boiles down too

Psychoblues
06-09-2008, 02:22 AM
Sooooo, you ditched your girlfriend for your gay best friend?

she was the straw that broke the camels back, along with my gay best friend telling me he wants to get married, and to have people accept him, and stop being assholes to him.

And while i deeply respect dissent whether its this or the iraq war.

I believe people should have choices

thats what it boiles down too

Your life is your life, martin. If it ain't fun maybe you need to quit it.

actsnoblemartin
06-09-2008, 03:42 AM

actually im ditching her for you baby :laugh2:

I dont believe in suicide, unless i come back as a tiger, rar

:dance:, i love sarcasm hahahahahahaha

:lol:

actsnoblemartin
06-09-2008, 03:43 AM
me and my girlfriend and gonna volunteer together :)

it will be so much fun

:dance:

ive been dating her a month, and im deeply in love with her

she may be the one, my soul mate

actsnoblemartin
06-09-2008, 03:45 AM

oh you know it :gay:

yeah, you should see us together :laugh2:

Psychoblues
06-09-2008, 03:58 AM
Don't tell me!!!!!!!!

yeah, you should see us together :laugh2:

I bet it's a real hoot!!!!!!!!!!!!