PDA

View Full Version : Celebrating 'Open Tent' Day -- Kids Dress Like Arabs

red states rule
06-01-2008, 06:14 AM
The public school system is becoming nothing more then liberal indoctrination centers. Now libs force 7th graders to dress and act like Arabs

NH Paper: Celebrating 'Open Tent' Day -- Kids Dress Like Arabs
By Warner Todd Huston | May 31, 2008 - 16:46 ET

Only in the west can one see a school that hosts a day when school children are encouraged to dress like, act like, and "learn about" those trying to kill them and all in a day that the country is in the midst of war. And only in the west would the media help celebrate such an outrageous example of support for what, in truth, are our enemies.

On May 9, the kids of the Amherst Middle School in Amherst, New Hampshire, were forced to parade about their school dressed as "Saudi Arabians" so that they could "learn from people around the world" in a happy day of multiculturalism. But, what they ended up being taught was the wholly sanitized version of how wonderful Saudi society is instead of the truth.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/warner-todd-huston/2008/05/31/nh-paper-celebrating-open-tent-day-kids-dress-arabs

and

http://www.cabinet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070531/MILFORD01/70531004/-1/Milford01

Gaffer
06-01-2008, 07:06 AM
But to really get the feel for arab day they need to have guns and explosives. Otherwise it's not the same. Isn't studying islamic democracy fun? They can have a behead an infidel day too.

red states rule
06-01-2008, 07:10 AM
But to really get the feel for arab day they need to have guns and explosives. Otherwise it's not the same. Isn't studying islamic democracy fun? They can have a behead an infidel day too.

They can use the videos of Nick Berg, and Dan Pearl as a guide

retiredman
06-01-2008, 07:21 AM
suggesting that islamic extremists represent the arab or muslim world is inaccurate. Having children learn about Islam is perfectly legitimate. We cannot hope to prevail in the war of ideas...we cannot expect to convince them that multicultural democracy is political system worth adopting... and hate them all and villify they all and demonize them all at the same time.

midcan5
06-01-2008, 07:25 AM
Only in the west can one see a school that hosts a day when school children are encouraged to dress like, act like, and "learn about" those trying to kill them....

golly gee whillikers, thanks RSR, all this time this friendly Muslim women I talk to has been plotting to kill me, who would have guessed it! You think we should kill them first huh? Good idea, shows your great insight into life clearly.

red states rule
06-01-2008, 07:27 AM
If the school really wants the kids to act like Muslims, why are the girls in school and not kept at home under lock and key?

red states rule
06-01-2008, 07:32 AM
golly gee whillikers, thanks RSR, all this time this friendly Muslim women I talk to has been plotting to kill me, who would have guessed it! You think we should kill them first huh? Good idea, shows your great insight into life clearly.

I wonder if the any of the kids were carrying AK-47's and had bomb vests strapped to their chest? They should if the schools goal was authenticity

Abbey Marie
06-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Having children learn about Islam is perfectly legitimate.

Well sure, nothing wrong with learning. But would "Open Vatican Day" have gone over with the secular educators and the ACLU? Could they dress up like priests, and learn all about Christianity?

retiredman
06-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Well sure, nothing wrong with learning. But would "Open Vatican Day" have gone over with the secular educators and the ACLU? Could they dress up like priests, and learn all about Christianity?

Why don't you propose that to your local school board. But do you really think that American school children need to be educated about Christianity?

And I hardly think that dressing like muslims is equivalent to dressing like priests.... a flawed analogy, I would say.

Abbey Marie
06-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Why don't you propose that to your local school board. But do you really think that American school children need to be educated about Christianity?

And I hardly think that dressing like muslims is equivalent to dressing like priests.... a flawed analogy, I would say.

Exactly why I quoted you:

Originally Posted by manfrommaine Having children learn about Islam is perfectly legitimate.

Perfect analogy.

red states rule
06-01-2008, 01:28 PM
This is a perfect example as to why some parents homeschool

Perpare them for college and life - and not what the liberal indoctrination center "teaches"

retiredman
06-01-2008, 02:47 PM
Exactly why I quoted you:

Perfect analogy.

no... flawed analogy. If you had suggested that the children dressed as catholic lay people, that might have been appropriate. To learn a bit about Islam, children dressed as Islamic people, not Islamic clerics.

stephanie
06-01-2008, 02:51 PM
from the article..

Only the seventh-grade boys were allowed to host the food stations and the Arabic dancing, as the traditions of Saudi Arabia at this time prevent women from participating in these public roles.

Dressed in traditional Arabic wear—long plaid kilts, white shirts and turbans—the boys offered food and entertained guests. The Arabic dancers enthusiastically performed to music and encouraged male visitors to join their dance.

red states rule
06-01-2008, 02:54 PM
from the article..

Only the seventh-grade boys were allowed to host the food stations and the Arabic dancing, as the traditions of Saudi Arabia at this time prevent women from participating in these public roles.

Dressed in traditional Arabic wear—long plaid kilts, white shirts and turbans—the boys offered food and entertained guests. The Arabic dancers enthusiastically performed to music and encouraged male visitors to join their dance.

At least the girls learned they are second class citizens in the Arab world

Trigg
06-01-2008, 02:54 PM
no... flawed analogy. If you had suggested that the children dressed as catholic lay people, that might have been appropriate. To learn a bit about Islam, children dressed as Islamic people, not Islamic clerics.

An adherent of Islam is known as a Muslim.

Seventh-grade girls hosted the hijab and veil stations, where other female guests learned how to wear the required head covering and veils

An Islamic religion station included a Muslim prayer rug with a compass imbedded in it to locate Mecca, readings on the Islamic faith, call to prayer items and prayer beads.

These children were learning about a RELIGION. I don't see them teaching about Christianity, Judaism, or Buddism for that matter. Why are they learning about being Muslim in a school setting when most can't even mention Christmas?????

If they were simply learning about lay people they wouldn't have prayer beads or prayer items, only dress.

retiredman
06-01-2008, 02:58 PM

These children were learning about a RELIGION. I don't see them teaching about Christianity, Judaism, or Buddism for that matter. Why are they learning about being Muslim in a school setting when most can't even mention Christmas?????

If they were simply learning about lay people they wouldn't have prayer beads or prayer items, only dress.

learning about religion is not synonymous with learning about the clergy of that religion. "Dressing like priests" is a flawed analogy.

red states rule
06-01-2008, 03:00 PM

If it was Christianity, libs would be screaming "seperation of Church and state"; but they are defending this BS

Trigg
06-01-2008, 03:02 PM
learning about religion is not synonymous with learning about the clergy of that religion. "Dressing like priests" is a flawed analogy.

Why is it alright to Learn about Islam when it is not alright to Learn about any other religion????????

They brought prayer rugs and beads. Would this have been allowed if they were learning about Judism?????

Once again most schools can't even mention Christmas anymore and now have a winter break so they don't offend anyone and here is this school showing religious items. You don't see favoratism here????

red states rule
06-01-2008, 03:05 PM
Why is it alright to Learn about Islam when it is not alright to Learn about any other religion????????

They brought prayer rugs and beads. Would this have been allowed if they were learning about Judism?????

Once again most schools can't even mention Christmas anymore and now have a winter break so they don't offend anyone and here is this school showing religious items. You don't see favoratism here????

Christmas is a four letter word now in the public school system; but this crap is acceptable

Liberalism run amok

Abbey Marie
06-01-2008, 03:10 PM

Good lord, I know you're smarter than this. The point isn't how they were dressed; it's that they are being immersed in learning about a religion, which you admitted when you said they were learnign about Islam. Which, by the way, is fine with me, except for the hypocrisy of the left in excluding even the most peripheral references to Christiniaty in the schools.

So, again, why are the secular educators ok with this?

red states rule
06-01-2008, 03:14 PM
Good lord, you're smarter than this. The point isn't how they were dressed; it's that they are being immersed in learning about a religion, which you admitted when you said they were learnign about Islam. Which, by the way, is fine with me, except for the hypocrisy of the left in excluding even the most peripheral references to Christiniaty in the schools.

Abbey, this is a perfect example of public schools NOT preparing our kids for thr real world, but training them to tolerate anything and do whatever is needed for the "common good"

Now wait for the Christmas season, and watch the same tolerant libs have a fit if a kid hands out a Christmas card

retiredman
06-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Good lord, you're smarter than this. The point isn't how they were dressed; it's that they are being immersed in learning about a religion, which you admitted when you said they were learnign about Islam. Which, by the way, is fine with me, except for the hypocrisy of the left in excluding even the most peripheral references to Christiniaty in the schools.

Last week, I attended the high school/middle school spring concert at a town in central Maine where my son has been the choral director for nine years. As ALWAYS, the program was FILLED with religious musical works.... from classical pieces like "Ave Verum Corpus" by Mozart, to modern gospel pieces like "A River in Judea". Since the school does not have a performing space large enough to hold the crowds that attend these concerts, the event was HELD in the Methodist Church(and it was, as ALWAYS, SRO). I do not see any exclusion of references to Christianity in schools in Maine, and I never have. No hypocrisy from me on this issue whatsoever.

red states rule
06-01-2008, 03:28 PM
"During the check-in, guests selected a traditional Arabic name for their name badge and completed an actual Saudi customs form, which warned in bold letters “Death for Drug Trafficking ” at the top."

I thought the libs had a zero tolerance to threats of viloence :laugh2:

Trigg
06-01-2008, 03:33 PM
Last week, I attended the high school/middle school spring concert at a town in central Maine where my son has been the choral director for nine years. As ALWAYS, the program was FILLED with religious musical works.... from classical pieces like "Ave Verum Corpus" by Mozart, to modern gospel pieces like "A River in Judea". Since the school does not have a performing space large enough to hold the crowds that attend these concerts, the event was HELD in the Methodist Church(and it was, as ALWAYS, SRO). I do not see any exclusion of references to Christianity in schools in Maine, and I never have. No hypocrisy from me on this issue whatsoever.

If you lived in an area of the country that wasn't 98% white and Christian you would have noticed that seperation of church and state is a big issue with in the school systems.

red states rule
06-01-2008, 03:39 PM
If you lived in an area of the country that wasn't 98% white and Christian you would have noticed that seperation of church and state is a big issue with in the school systems.

Lets see:

Naziism says all Jews must die. Islam tsays the same

Naziism says all others must be subject to our rule. Islam says the same

Anyone seeing a pattern here?

actsnoblemartin
06-01-2008, 03:45 PM
You can NOT force the kids to do this though, it should be voluntary.

Besides, learning about others cultures is fine, if they learn the good and bad about those cultures.

Islam has bad parts about its cultures, you can ignore the bad parts simply to be politically correct

It would be like teaching about european history while ignoring the holocaust or teaching about Christianity while ignoring the crusades

suggesting that islamic extremists represent the arab or muslim world is inaccurate. Having children learn about Islam is perfectly legitimate. We cannot hope to prevail in the war of ideas...we cannot expect to convince them that multicultural democracy is political system worth adopting... and hate them all and villify they all and demonize them all at the same time.

red states rule
06-01-2008, 03:50 PM
You can NOT force the kids to do this though, it should be voluntary.

Besides, learning about others cultures is fine, if they learn the good and bad about those cultures.

Islam has bad parts about its cultures, you can ignore the bad parts simply to be politically correct

It would be like teaching about european history while ignoring the holocaust or teaching about Christianity while ignoring the crusades

Martin you have to remember libs believe you are to stupid to learn the things you need to learn - so libs will force you to learn them

Libs are for change right now. Change being changing conservative values to liberal values

When I know what values libs have, I wil let you know

Abbey Marie
06-01-2008, 04:26 PM

Cool. I think we agree on something. :salute: In my daughter's school, a couple of people complained about the Christian content of some of the songs in last year's "winter" concert. It seems to be happening all over.

red states rule
06-01-2008, 04:31 PM
Cool. I think we agree on something. :salute: In my daughter's school, a couple of people complained about the Christian content of some of the songs in last year's "winter" concert. It seems to be happening all over.

Here is one example from last year Abbey. You have to make sure the libs are not "offended"

Holiday concert? Silent night is safer
By Lynn Thompson

Times Snohomish County Bureau

There was no winter concert at Cedar Wood Elementary this year and no singing of any holiday songs, in any tradition.

Families instead were welcomed two weeks ago to a "Fall Concert" that featured songs about character development with titles such as "Responsible" and "It Starts With Me."

A message in the program from the principal, David Jones, explained, "This year our music celebrates the power we each have to make good choices."

The evening struck some parents as an attempt by public-school administrators to avoid all controversy during a season fraught with religious, cultural and constitutional peril.

Even parents who said they aren't religious said they felt like they and their children were missing out on one of the best parts of the holiday season — the festive music.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/snohomishcountynews/2004065960_concerts12n0.html

actsnoblemartin
06-01-2008, 04:34 PM
the aclu presents, in association with the muslim brotherhood: behead an infidel with special guests al queda

:lol:

Here is one example from last year Abbey. You have to make sure the libs are not "offended"

Holiday concert? Silent night is safer
By Lynn Thompson

Times Snohomish County Bureau

There was no winter concert at Cedar Wood Elementary this year and no singing of any holiday songs, in any tradition.

Families instead were welcomed two weeks ago to a "Fall Concert" that featured songs about character development with titles such as "Responsible" and "It Starts With Me."

A message in the program from the principal, David Jones, explained, "This year our music celebrates the power we each have to make good choices."

The evening struck some parents as an attempt by public-school administrators to avoid all controversy during a season fraught with religious, cultural and constitutional peril.

Even parents who said they aren't religious said they felt like they and their children were missing out on one of the best parts of the holiday season — the festive music.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/snohomishcountynews/2004065960_concerts12n0.html

red states rule
06-01-2008, 04:39 PM
the aclu presents, in association with the muslim brotherhood: behead an infidel with special guests al queda

:lol:

Here is the ad for the program Martin

actsnoblemartin
06-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Here is the ad for the program Martin

bravo, bravo :clap: :clap:

red states rule
06-01-2008, 04:47 PM
bravo, bravo :clap: :clap:

You be the Judge - what is the difference?

actsnoblemartin
06-01-2008, 04:52 PM
the difference is liberals are more scared of muslims then nazi's?

:laugh2:

You be the Judge - what is the difference?

red states rule
06-01-2008, 05:01 PM
the difference is liberals are more scared of muslims then nazi's?

Here is the libs training manual on Islam

actsnoblemartin
06-01-2008, 05:03 PM
why dont they just give the nearest muslim a blowjob it cant be any less degrading then the title

Here is the libs training manual on Islam

Silver
06-01-2008, 05:16 PM
maineman is such a fuckin' traitor to his country and culture, its pathetic...
and hes pathetic...he sees nothing wrong about undermining his own country...
his motto should be "death to America by a thousand cuts", because that is exactly what he endorses and is too blind to see that is the result of what losing our culture will bring....
Hes been fed that 'diversity' shit soup and 'tolerance' crap sandwich that instead of gagging, he thrives on what will prove to be poison to US and western culture....

red states rule
06-01-2008, 05:21 PM
maineman is such a fuckin' traitor to his country and culture, its pathetic...
and hes pathetic...he sees nothing wrong about undermining his own country...
his motto should be "death to America by a thousand cuts", because that is exactly what he endorses and is too blind to see that is the result of what losing our culture will bring....
Hes been fed that 'diversity' shit soup and 'tolerance' crap sandwich that instead of gagging, he thrives on what will prove to be poison to US and western culture....

Stop holding back Silver - tell us how you really feel

Silver
06-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Stop holding back Silver - tell us how you really feel

Can't...I'm in a hurry...:lol:

red states rule
06-01-2008, 05:59 PM
Can't...I'm in a hurry...:lol:

Don't worry

MFM will keep providing the material.

As soon as he gets his talking points from the DNC and the Obama 08 office :laugh2:

retiredman
06-01-2008, 06:53 PM

No one complained here. It is not happening in Maine.

Kathianne
06-01-2008, 07:03 PM

Right. I also think it is imperative that the public schools teach the overlap between Christianity and Judaism. They should also be required to know the similarities and differences between Catholicism and mainstream Protestantism. They should be taught the differences between the Mormonism of the 19th and 20/21st centuries. Buddhism today is a growing religion in the West, many youngsters know little beyond the yin and yang symbol, schools need to rectify that.

Geez, most important of all in the US, they need to know the religious beliefs of Native Americans-I would suppose all tribes and their different ways to praise Nature.

Not to mention those that are atheists, agnostics, practice Scientology, Wiccan, etc. How can we ignore all the possibilities?

retiredman
06-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Right. I also think it is imperative that the public schools teach the overlap between Christianity and Judaism. They should also be required to know the similarities and differences between Catholicism and mainstream Protestantism. They should be taught the differences between the Mormonism of the 19th and 20/21st centuries. Buddhism today is a growing religion in the West, many youngsters know little beyond the yin and yang symbol, schools need to rectify that.

Geez, most important of all in the US, they need to know the religious beliefs of Native Americans-I would suppose all tribes and their different ways to praise Nature.

Not to mention those that are atheists, agnostics, practice Scientology, Wiccan, etc. How can we ignore all the possibilities?

you're a teacher. write a grant proposal. make it happen.

Kathianne
06-01-2008, 07:20 PM
you're a teacher. write a grant proposal. make it happen.

I have taught comparative religions in both social studies and religion contexts, in 6th and 7th grades. If the public schools wish to enter into teaching middle or grammar school students about religion, it seems incumbent upon them to teach all, not just one.

retiredman
06-01-2008, 07:33 PM
I have taught comparative religions in both social studies and religion contexts, in 6th and 7th grades. If the public schools wish to enter into teaching middle or grammar school students about religion, it seems incumbent upon them to teach all, not just one.

I would not disagree

Kathianne
06-01-2008, 07:37 PM
I would not disagree

Yet you appeared to be justifying the teaching of that public school, with only Islam on the table. Not right and in fact only there because of 9/11. Prior to that it would have been 'impolitic' just like every other religion still is.

dread
06-01-2008, 07:46 PM

Actually I think that would be a great idea..

I loved my highschool...It was a catholic all girl college prep. They wouldnt teach about Catholicism UNTILL you took world religions. It was mandatory.

retiredman
06-01-2008, 07:49 PM
my reading of the newstory in the OP of this thread leads me to believe that "Islam" was a small and superficial part of the entire program..and that the overwhelming majority of it dealt with arabic culture and not religion.

Kathianne
06-01-2008, 07:54 PM
my reading of the newstory in the OP of this thread leads me to believe that "Islam" was a small and superficial part of the entire program..and that the overwhelming majority of it dealt with arabic culture and not religion.

From any source regarding this story, upon what did you come to that inference? I didn't see that.

retiredman
06-01-2008, 08:03 PM
From any source regarding this story, upon what did you come to that inference? I didn't see that.
Once inside, guests were encouraged to circulate among 14 different stations created by the students.

The Arabic food-tasting station offered four entrées, curried chicken, lamb, tomato chicken with cardomom, and Moroccan chicken, served with pita breads, hummus, and couscous. Fresh fruits, cardomom coffees, and spice teas were also served.

Flowing fabrics hung from the ceiling separated the family and men-only dining sections. The tables were set on large rugs and lowered so that the diners sat on the floor.

Seventh-grade girls hosted the hijab and veil stations, where other female guests learned how to wear the required head covering and veils. An antique trunk full of black abayas worn by women, and white thobes worn by the men, were available for guests to try on.

Cultural items displayed throughout the room included
Arabic books, games, food, and newspapers and magazines.

An Islamic religion station included a Muslim prayer rug with a compass imbedded in it to locate Mecca, readings on the Islamic faith, call to prayer items and prayer beads.

Younger visitors gravitated to the Arabic listening station, the Arabic coloring book stations and the mural, while visitors of all ages found the slide shows of Saudi Arabia to be captivating.

The “open tent” was created to encourage participants to reach out and learn from people around the world, and to promote curiosity and cultural understanding (NOT TO INDOCTRINATE ANYONE ON ISLAM)

Kathianne
06-02-2008, 05:23 AM
Once inside, guests were encouraged to circulate among 14 different stations created by the students.

The Arabic food-tasting station offered four entrées, curried chicken, lamb, tomato chicken with cardomom, and Moroccan chicken, served with pita breads, hummus, and couscous. Fresh fruits, cardomom coffees, and spice teas were also served.

Flowing fabrics hung from the ceiling separated the family and men-only dining sections. The tables were set on large rugs and lowered so that the diners sat on the floor.

Seventh-grade girls hosted the hijab and veil stations, where other female guests learned how to wear the required head covering and veils. An antique trunk full of black abayas worn by women, and white thobes worn by the men, were available for guests to try on.

Cultural items displayed throughout the room included
Arabic books, games, food, and newspapers and magazines.

Younger visitors gravitated to the Arabic listening station, the Arabic coloring book stations and the mural, while visitors of all ages found the slide shows of Saudi Arabia to be captivating.

The “open tent” was created to encourage participants to reach out and learn from people around the world, and to promote curiosity and cultural understanding (NOT TO INDOCTRINATE ANYONE ON ISLAM)

The 'culture' study was the way to introduce religion into the program, there is not curriculum time available to do this. It wasn't one class, that perhaps was comparing religion through ancient history. This wasn't a one hour assembly, perhaps part of a series of at least 6 to be spread over two years.

This was a program where hours would have been devoted to one culture and religion. Where the boys literally were encouraged to dominate, contrary to the mores of our own culture.

This was a program designed to get a message out, one in which 12 year olds were indoctrinated to get that message out to a wider community. A Middle School I substituted at believed that reenactments and realistic presentations were a great way to help the students better understand what they learned. It took that idea and built a three year rotation of assemblies, reenactments, and on campus visits from various presenters. The curriculum goals had been written to account for the interweaving of curriculum.

One year a group from a Native American Tribe would be invited to set up a village. Over 3 days any social studies class could visit for one period. The neighbors were welcomed to stop by anytime from 6am-8pm, except when school was in session.

They had an assembly of Holocaust Survivors, that included information on not only Jews, but gypsies, handicapped, people who tried to help the persecuted.

They had reenactments of Revolutionary and Civil War.

I'm sure over the years some of the programs have been dropped, others added, the point being there was an educational rationale built into what they were doing. Not one day, one class, one culture.

retiredman
06-02-2008, 06:15 AM
my repeated reading of the newstory in the OP of this thread leads me to believe that "Islam" was a small and superficial part of the entire program..and that the overwhelming majority of it dealt with arabic culture and not primarily its religion.

and certainly, 9/11 has made that more relevant. Our children saw the planes flying into buildings. They want and need to know where our enemies came FROM, and they want and need to know that the vast majority of the inhabitants of that region do not hate our country like the hijackers did.

and nothing from the article would indicate that this school would limit its reenactments and other informative and creative programming upon the completion of this one event.

Kathianne
06-02-2008, 07:09 AM
my repeated reading of the newstory in the OP of this thread leads me to believe that "Islam" was a small and superficial part of the entire program..and that the overwhelming majority of it dealt with arabic culture and not primarily its religion.

and certainly, 9/11 has made that more relevant. Our children saw the planes flying into buildings. They want and need to know where our enemies came FROM, and they want and need to know that the vast majority of the inhabitants of that region do not hate our country like the hijackers did.

and nothing from the article would indicate that this school would limit its reenactments and other informative and creative programming upon the completion of this one event.

But common sense and knowing how long it takes to teach a lesson like this would certainly render it impossible to have more than one like this in a given year, by students. Why should they be more heavily invested in Saudi culture than others?

9/11 has not rendered it more relevant, unless one is going to 'teach' that there is something invariably violent about the culture, but that wasn't the point, was it?

Gaffer
06-02-2008, 09:34 AM

Arabic culture IS islam. Absolutely everything in the culture is islam. From the food they eat to the way they dress. Every aspect of their life is dictated by islam.

9/11 should have made everyone take notice of islam and bother to learn what it is really all about. But most haven't. The pc crowd placed islam on a pedestal to be admired. Tolerance of evil is not a strength.

Hagbard Celine
06-02-2008, 09:54 AM

The point is to learn about other cultures Abbey. Why would they need to learn about Christianity when our culture is already majority Christian? I mean I really can't do or say anything here other than to just shake my head. Your comment here and all the others I've seen in this thread--even the OP article is the definition of ridiculous. Do you even understand the point of social studies? I'll give you and the others a hint. It has nothing to do with "indoctrination."

dread
06-02-2008, 10:21 AM
The point is to learn about other cultures Abbey. Why would they need to learn about Christianity when our culture is already majority Christian? I mean I really can't do or say anything here other than to just shake my head. Your comment here and all the others I've seen in this thread--even the OP article is the definition of ridiculous. Do you even understand the point of social studies? I'll give you and the others a hint. It has nothing to do with "indoctrination."

Teaching about arab culture is one thing...Propagating their religion is a totally different thing...Not all arabs are muslims. Not all Americans are christians...And NO most people DONT know jack shit about Christianity EXCEPT what they have conjured up in their minds to believe.

red states rule
06-02-2008, 10:31 AM

We already know how about the culture of Arabs. Need to watch the Nick Berg video again? Or see women being stoned to death? Or what happens if you bring a Bible into their country?

Hagbard Celine
06-02-2008, 10:34 AM
Teaching about arab culture is one thing...Propagating their religion is a totally different thing...Not all arabs are muslims. Not all Americans are christians...And NO most people DONT know jack shit about Christianity EXCEPT what they have conjured up in their minds to believe.

Please cite where Islam was "propagated" during this school's "dress-up as Arabs" day.

Hint: You can't.

Hagbard Celine
06-02-2008, 10:35 AM
We already know how about the culture of Arabs. Need to watch the Nick Berg video again? Or see women being stoned to death? Or what happens if you bring a Bible into their country?

We do, but kids don't. That's why they go to school and have culture days like this one rsr. :rolleyes:

red states rule
06-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Please cite where Islam was "propagated" during this school's "dress-up as Arabs" day.

Hint: You can't.

Fom the article

red states rule
06-02-2008, 10:38 AM
We do, but kids don't. That's why they go to school and have culture days like this one rsr. :rolleyes:

Public schools are becoming liberal indoctrination stations.

Hagbard Celine
06-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Public schools are becoming liberal indoctrination stations.

Um, okay. Got anything to support that bit of lunacy?

Hagbard Celine
06-02-2008, 10:43 AM
Fom the article

Okay so they set-up a kiosk with a shadow-box-style arrangement of Muslim artifacts and you call that "indoctrination" and "propagation?" Should they have had Arab day to teach the kids about Arab culture and left-out telling them about the most defining aspect of it?
Are you taking any medication for paranoia?

red states rule
06-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Um, okay. Got anything to support that bit of lunacy?

Look at the "teachers" and other projects

Teachers who teach liberal opinions as facts, teachers who force students to chant "Kerry rocks" (from the 2004 election) teachers who show profanity laced scripts with anti war and anti Bush films

Projects like putting the US fag on the floor so students can walk over them

Need more examples or do see these examples as perfectly reasonable since you are a lib?

Hagbard Celine
06-02-2008, 10:48 AM
Look at the "teachers" and other projects

Teachers who teach liberal opinions as facts, teachers who force students to chant "Kerry rocks" (from the 2004 election) teachers who show profanity laced scripts with anti war and anti Bush films

Projects like putting the US fag on the floor so students can walk over them

Need more examples or do see these examples as perfectly reasonable since you are a lib?

You need to understand what you've done here because I don't think you do. You've made a small list of outrageous and case-specific examples cherry-picked over a time period of almost ten years and then used them to exclaim that public schools are "liberal indoctrination stations." The moniker "Chicken Little" comes to mind.

red states rule
06-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Okay so they set-up a kiosk with a shadow-box-style arrangement of Muslim artifacts and you call that "indoctrination" and "propagation?"
Are you taking any medication for paranoia?

Now libs have our schools #1 goal not to prepare the kid for live and the real world but to get along with and tolerate anything and do whatever is necessary for the good of society.

red states rule
06-02-2008, 10:53 AM
You need to understand what you've done here because I don't think you do. You've made a small list of outrageous and case-specific examples cherry-picked over a time period of almost ten years and then used them to exclaim that public schools are "liberal indoctrination stations." The moniker "Chicken Little" comes to mind.

Oh and Ward Churchill

Then he have liberal teachers threatening and failing conservative students. Libs really don't believe in free speech - it has to be liberal free speech

Hagbard Celine
06-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Now libs have our schools #1 goal not to prepare the kid for live and the real world but to get along with and tolerate anything and do whatever is necessary for the good of society.

Learning tolerance and doing what is necessary for the good of society are both things that I think we try to instill in our kids, yes.
What would you have them be taught? To distrust foreigners? To mistreat women? To be racist? Homophobia? A jingoistic, borderline masterbatory reverence for anything military-related?
Please enlighten me as to what is wrong with teaching children about the world's cultures?

Gaffer
06-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Learning tolerance and doing what is necessary for the good of society are both things that I think we try to instill in our kids, yes.
What would you have them be taught? To distrust foreigners? To mistreat women? To be racist? Homophobia? A jingoistic, borderline masterbatory reverence for anything military-related?
Please enlighten me as to what is wrong with teaching children about the world's cultures?

Teaching arab culture is teaching islam, the two cannot be separated. You can teach about any other culture in the world and not touch on their religion. That cannot be done with arabs and islam.

Hagbard Celine
06-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Oh and Ward Churchill

Then he have liberal teachers threatening and failing conservative students. Libs really don't believe in free speech - it has to be liberal free speech

What are you talking about?

"Then he have?"

What?

Do you mean "then we have?" I was unaware that all conservative students were having such a hard time in school. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. :rolleyes:

red states rule
06-02-2008, 11:02 AM

Then why are libs the most intolerant bunch of people you could meet?

Disagree with libs and you are attacked

Put up a Chistmas tree in the town square, libs shit their pants

Have a Christmas play at the local school, libs rant and rave

A teacher wears a cross aorund her neck, and libs scream seperation of church and state

Libs may want to take the tolerance classes and leave the rest of us alone

Hagbard Celine
06-02-2008, 11:03 AM
Teaching arab culture is teaching islam, the two cannot be separated. You can teach about any other culture in the world and not touch on their religion. That cannot be done with arabs and islam.

Well what do you propose? Do you think it wise to keep the nation's children blissfully ignorant about the existence of Islam?

-OR-

Should we maybe teach them about it as this school has done? :poke:

retiredman
06-02-2008, 11:05 AM

"touching on their religion" is different than dedicating the entire process to religion. there were 14 stations in the tent.... one of them was about religion. get over it.

red states rule
06-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Well what do you propose? Do you think it wise to keep the nation's children blissfully ignorant about the existence of Islam?

-OR-

Libs like you want to turn our kids into pussy liberals like Michael Kingsley

retiredman
06-02-2008, 11:17 AM
Libs like you want to turn our kids into pussy liberals kike Michael Kingsley

nice slur.

Gaffer
06-02-2008, 11:18 AM
"touching on their religion" is different than dedicating the entire process to religion. there were 14 stations in the tent.... one of them was about religion. get over it.

You don't touch on religion where the arabs are concerned. Everything in their life evolves around islam. Their dress, what they eat. Their dances, their music, what there is of it. Everything is designed and done with islam in mind. Any arab that doesn't follow this is an apostate is killed in the arab countries. This is something that should also be covered in their examples of the arab culture. Muslim intolerance and treatment of non-muslims should have been part of the program.

There were 14 stations in the tent. Each depicting arab/islam culture. It's just another attempt to make the evil of islam acceptable to the general population.

red states rule
06-02-2008, 11:20 AM
nice slur.

OK

How about libs want to turn our kids into spinless, lying, wimps like MFM

Is that better?

Hagbard Celine
06-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Then why are libs the most intolerant bunch of people you could meet?
Gross stereotype based on nothing. (shrug)

Disagree with libs and you are attacked
Have you ever stopped to consider that your views instigate outrage because they tend to be narrow-minded and unsympathetic of the views of others? That perhaps the reason you are met with so many "attacks" is that you are the one with the intolerant views? All of the people you label with the moniker "lib" seem to be either members of minority groups fighting for their rights or people who fight alongside those people. I think you may be the intolerant one rsr. It's a twist worthy of M. Night Shyamalan himself! Of course, you probably think he's a lib too. :dunno:
Everyone's been to a party before where one drunk ignoramus starts to rail about how much he hates blacks, gays, Arabs, etc. and it makes everybody uncomfortable and all he ends up doing is making himself look like a bigot.
It's not everybody else man. It's you. Being a negative hater all the time is unbecoming mayne.

Put up a Chistmas tree in the town square, libs shit their pants
No they don't, they simply ask that other religions have the chance to put up their crescents and/or menoras as well if they are so inclined.

Have a Christmas play at the local school, libs rant and rave
Why should the public school system celebrate one holiday and not another? All that's asked is that all cultures and viewpoints be considered--especially if the student body is multi-cultural.
And I don't know about your example to begin with. What school other than a Christian academy would have a Christmas play anyway? What would the plot be? The Jesus story? Charles Dickens' Scrooge story would be more appropriate for obvious reasons.

A teacher wears a cross aorund her neck, and libs scream seperation of church and state
Did this really happen? Teachers and anybody else can wear whatever they want on their person within the boundaries of decency. Who cares if somebody wears a cross? --Straight from the "lib's" mouth. There you go.
You can't use one crazy-rare instance as evidence that the whole world has gone to hell. Don't be such a Chicken Little.

Libs may want to take the tolerance classes and leave the rest of us alone
What "tolerance classes?" :dunno:

Gaffer
06-02-2008, 11:24 AM

-OR-

I propose teaching the truth about islam. Show the culture and explain why it is the way it is.

If you could learn to hate islam as much as you hate christianity you would have come a long way.

The school is using the dhimmi standard of teaching. They are calling it arab culture when it is islamic culture.

red states rule
06-02-2008, 11:35 AM
I wonder how the school officials will feel if the kids parents use these outfits again for Halloween

and add a bomb vest and AK-47's for realism

Hagbard Celine
06-02-2008, 11:41 AM
I propose teaching the truth about islam. Show the culture and explain why it is the way it is.

If you could learn to hate islam as much as you hate christianity you would have come a long way.

The school is using the dhimmi standard of teaching. They are calling it arab culture when it is islamic culture.

Nope. Not all Arabs are Muslims and visa versa. So it is Arab culture. Islam is only a part of it. Arabs were pagans for thousands of years before Muhammad came along and their culture reflects that, just like our culture has its roots in pagan religion as well as other sources including Christianity. All the holidays we celebrate are pagan ones--even the Christian holidays. They're just painted-up with a Jesus facade.
And I don't "hate" Christianity at all. I don't know where you got that. I guess in your mind since I'm a "lib" I must also hate Christianity, have green skin, eat babies and generally fight for all that is wretched and evil in the world. :rolleyes: What a warped fantasy world this board's conservatives live in.
The facts are these: Islam is the largest religion on the planet. Not all Muslims are terrorists. I'd guess that not even one percent of them are. It doesn't hurt kids to learn about other cultures--including Arab. There's absolutely nothing wrong with what this school did here.

Hagbard Celine
06-02-2008, 11:42 AM
I wonder how the school officials will feel if the kids parents use these outfits again for Halloween

and add a bomb vest and AK-47's for realism

What would be the point of that other than to just incite negativity and teach kids intolerance--that all Arabs are terrorists?
You're warped man. That's all there is to it.

red states rule
06-02-2008, 11:51 AM
What would be the point of that other than to just incite negativity and teach kids intolerance--that all Arabs are terrorists?
You're warped man. That's all there is to it.

Intolerance? How about realism?

They want all of us dead Hag - even appeasers like you

Hagbard Celine
06-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Intolerance? How about realism?

They want all of us dead Hag - even appeasers like you

Yeah, terrorists do. It's a group of probably a few thousand out of a world population of 6.5 billion. Why dwell on it and smear it all over the faces of children if not for the sole purpose of being negative and divisive? How would you feel if you were an American Muslim family--you have cable, shop at Wal-Mart, drive an SUV, have 2.5 kids, pay your taxes--you live the American dream--and then you opened the door on Halloween and some kid was standing there dressed-up like the worst possible stereotype of your culture imaginable and you knew that the kid had been dressed like that by his parents? It would make you feel unwelcome for sure. And why make innocent people feel that way? Just to be a dick?
When I have kids I'm going to dress them up like ignorant hillbillies for Halloween and have them trick or treat in your neighborhood and see how you like it.

red states rule
06-02-2008, 12:00 PM
Yeah, terrorists do. It's a group of probably a few thousand out of a world population of 6.5 billion. Why dwell on it and smear it all over the faces of children if not for the sole purpose of being negative and divisive?

A few thousand? That many have been killed in Iraq by our troops

Appeasers have said Pres Bush and America are creating more terrorists every day

Get your talking points straight Hag

Hagbard Celine
06-02-2008, 12:07 PM
A few thousand? That many have been killed in Iraq by our troops

Appeasers have said Pres Bush and America are creating more terrorists every day

Get your talking points straight Hag

The number of Islamic terrorists in the world numbers in the thousands. It's a very small group in terms of the world scale.
And they are creating more every day. That's what happens when you invade Muslim countries with no provocation. It makes people mad and gives fuel to the extremist fringes in society to say "See? Look at how America blows up your cities and your people. Join us!" And guess what. People do join them because apparently it pisses people off when their country gets invaded and occupied for no good reason. I know right? It was news to me too.:slap:

stephanie
06-02-2008, 12:11 PM

So you don't have a problem that they are teaching our girls that they are considered second class citizens??
How tolerant of you..

red states rule
06-02-2008, 12:11 PM
The number of Islamic terrorists in the world numbers in the thousands. It's a very small group in terms of the world scale.
And they are creating more every day. That's what happens when you invade Muslim countries with no provocation. It makes people mad and gives fuel to the extremist fringes in society to say "See? Look at how America blows up your cities and your people. Join us!" And guess what. People do join them because apparently it pisses people off when their country gets invaded and occupied for no good reason. I know right? It was news to me too.:slap:

Appeasers to terrorists never change - even through the years

Hagbard Celine
06-02-2008, 12:20 PM
So you don't have a problem that they are teaching our girls that they are considered second class citizens??
How tolerant of you..

:rolleyes: Please don't be an idiot. It's called "Arab day" for a reason. The point is to teach the kids about the culture. Learning the Arab role for women probably made the kids appreciate living here. Ever think of that genius? Or were you too busy racking your brain for your best witty retort effort? Pathetic.

red states rule
06-02-2008, 12:23 PM
:rolleyes: Please don't be an idiot. It's called "Arab day" for a reason. The point is to teach the kids about the culture. Learning the Arab role for women probably made the kids appreciate living here. Ever think of that genius? Or were you too busy racking your brain for your best witty retort effort? Pathetic.

Read the article Hag - girls were not allowed to to take part is some activities. Women are treated like second class citizens in the Arab culture

Why are they in school and not at home like girls are in the Abab culture?

Hagbard Celine
06-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Appeasers to terrorists never change - even through the years

Of course! Your logic is flawless as usual. Since I acknowledge that invading Iraq was misguided and wrong, it logically follows that I want to appease terrorism! F*ck it. I give up man. You're a lost cause.

red states rule
06-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Of course! Your logic is flawless as usual. Since I acknowledge that invading Iraq was misguided and wrong, it logically follows that I want to appease terrorism! F*ck it. I give up man. You're a lost cause.

Look how peaceful Muslims are in London and France. Liberal meccas who have bent over backwards to them, and they still commit acts of terrorism

You are a liberal appeaser Hag - you have proven that over and over again

Hagbard Celine
06-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Look how peaceful Muslims are in London and France. Liberal meccas who have bent over backwards to them, and they still commit acts of terrorism

You are a liberal appeaser Hag - you have proven that over and over again

Hundreds, if not thousands of Muslims live in London and France and the acts of terrorism were committed by small groups of five to ten people. How in the hell do you make the leap from five to ten people to all Muslims? You're a xenophobic bigot and that's all there is to it. You're incapable of differentiating between different types of people or applying reason when forming your opinions. You have the mentality of a child.
HOW HAVE I EVER EVEN INSINUATED THAT I AM IN FAVOR OF APPEASING TERRORISTS?

I haven't. You make baseless accusations and you live in a paranoid fantasy world.

red states rule
06-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Hundreds, if not thousands of Muslims live in London and France and the acts of terrorism were committed by small groups of five to ten people. How in the hell do you make the leap from five to ten people to all Muslims? You're a xenophobic bigot and that's all there is to it. You're incapable of differentiating between different types of people or applying reason when forming your opinions. You have the mentality of a child.

I haven't. You make baseless accusations and you live in a paranoid fantasy world.

Keep your head stuck in the sand Hag. You sound so much like Neville Chamberlain

Appeasers like you laid the ground work for 9-11. You see terrorism as a crime commited by a small number of criminals, and not an act of war by a world wide organization

hjmick
06-02-2008, 12:37 PM
suggesting that islamic extremists represent the arab or muslim world is inaccurate.

If this is the case, and I believe it is, I would suggest that those for whom the extremists do not represent must stand up and make themselves heard. They must confront the extremists and put them down like the mad dogs that they are. They need to quit cowering in their homes and under their burqas and put an end to the terrorist activities performed by the extremists in the name of Islam and Mohammad. The best chance for change comes from within, from those seemingly too cowardly to speak up, not from the "War on Terror." Until they stand up and say enough is enough, most Arabs and all Muslims will continue to be painted with a broad brush, and rightfully so. To say and do nothing is to give implied consent and agreement to their actions. If they do not want to be represented by the extremists, now is the time to stand up and do something about it, not roll over and complain and whine.

As for the rest of this thread, the idea that Middle Eastern culture can be taught without the so called religion of peace, Islam, is misguided at best. The tenets Islam form the basis of the laws for most of the Middle East, it is, after all, the dominant religion of the region. With few exceptions, the culture of the region, from the clothes they wear to the position of women in their culture, stems from the faith that is practiced by the majority of the residents.

Hagbard Celine
06-02-2008, 12:44 PM
If this is the case, and I believe it is, I would suggest that those for whom the extremists do not represent must stand up and make themselves heard. They must confront the extremists and put them down like the mad dogs that they are. They need to quit cowering in their homes and under their burqas and put an end to the terrorist activities performed by the extremists in the name of Islam and Mohammad. The best chance for change comes from within, from those seemingly too cowardly to speak up, not from the "War on Terror." Until they stand up and say enough is enough, most Arabs and all Muslims will continue to be painted with a broad brush, and rightfully so. To say and do nothing is to give implied consent and agreement to their actions. If they do not want to be represented by the extremists, now is the time to stand up and do something about it, not roll over and complain and whine.

As for the rest of this thread, the idea that Middle Eastern culture can be taught without the so called religion of peace, Islam, is misguided at best. The tenets Islam form the basis of the laws for most of the Middle East, it is, after all, the dominant religion of the region. With few exceptions, the culture of the region, from the clothes they wear to the position of women in their culture, stems from the faith that is practiced by the majority of the residents.

Well, that's the problem. "Innocent" Muslims seem to act almost as a silent, impartial party in this whole conflict. But what do we do? Do we purposely inflame sentiments in the larger Muslim world and take-on all of Islam? Or do we weed-out the small number of miscreants responsible for the acts of murder and terrorism and try to fix the things (like certain policies) that incited them to violence to begin with?
I vote for the latter.
And back to the thread, the school's done nothing wrong here imo.

hjmick
06-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Well, that's the problem. "Innocent" Muslims seem to act almost as a silent, impartial party in this whole conflict. But what do we do? Do we purposely inflame sentiments in the larger Muslim world and take-on all of Islam? Or do we weed-out the small number of miscreants responsible for the acts of murder and terrorism and try to fix the things (like certain policies) that incited them to violence to begin with?
I vote for the latter.

I tend to agree, and for the most part no one within our government has painted the Muslim world with the broad strokes we see in the general public. The generalizations tend to fall to a few in the media, bloggers, and message boards. Which goes to my point that it is up to those within the culture to rise up and quell those who have hijacked and bastardized their religion.

And back to the thread, the school's done nothing wrong here imo.

I don't think they necessarily did anything wrong, I think learning about those unlike ourselves is a good thing. My only point was that Arabic culture and the Muslim faith are intertwined. To understand the culture, a certain level of understanding of the religion is required.

Gaffer
06-02-2008, 07:36 PM
I didn't see anything in the OP where the students were portraying arab jews and christians.

As for the numbers of terrorists. It's way more than just a few thousand. iran, syria and most of the arab countries support terrorist organizations. hamas runs palistine. hezbo runs lebanon. There are not thousands of muslims in the UK and France, there are millions and their population is growing. Denmark has been over run with them. They don't want to assimilate. They want control with sharia law as the governing authority. While the majority won't do anything overtly, they will give their support to the ones that do. When one is caught and prosecuted the mobs come out to protest and call for his release. It's all part of a very big take over of the world by islam.

Terrorism will be followed by general uprisings as the numbers become available. As the years go by you will be able to watch country after country come under control of the muslims.

There is no radical islam, or bastardized islam. There is just islam.

Kathianne
06-02-2008, 08:08 PM

Already addressed and you ignored.

Kathianne
06-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Nope. Not all Arabs are Muslims and visa versa. So it is Arab culture. Islam is only a part of it. Arabs were pagans for thousands of years before Muhammad came along and their culture reflects that, just like our culture has its roots in pagan religion as well as other sources including Christianity. All the holidays we celebrate are pagan ones--even the Christian holidays. They're just painted-up with a Jesus facade.
And I don't "hate" Christianity at all. I don't know where you got that. I guess in your mind since I'm a "lib" I must also hate Christianity, have green skin, eat babies and generally fight for all that is wretched and evil in the world. :rolleyes: What a warped fantasy world this board's conservatives live in.
The facts are these: Islam is the largest religion on the planet. Not all Muslims are terrorists. I'd guess that not even one percent of them are. It doesn't hurt kids to learn about other cultures--including Arab. There's absolutely nothing wrong with what this school did here.
Right there, you lose:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/print/xx.html

Religions:
Christians 33.32% (of which Roman Catholics 16.99%, Protestants 5.78%, Orthodox 3.53%, Anglicans 1.25%), Muslims 21.01%, Hindus 13.26%, Buddhists 5.84%, Sikhs 0.35%, Jews 0.23%, Baha'is 0.12%, other religions 11.78%, non-religious 11.77%, atheists 2.32% (2007 est.)

Kathianne
06-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Yeah, terrorists do. It's a group of probably a few thousand out of a world population of 6.5 billion. ...

You got a link? Any? Wow, you're quick to throw around the generalities, that fly in the face of all polls and data from intelligence agencies. Seriously dude, you used to be a lot better.

Kathianne
06-02-2008, 08:40 PM

Proving my point, 7th graders learn nothing for a 'day.' Those that buy into are seriously committed. Those that don't, well they've learned nothing, other than getting a grade or not.

Kathianne
06-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Read the article Hag - girls were not allowed to to take part is some activities. Women are treated like second class citizens in the Arab culture

Why are they in school and not at home like girls are in the Abab culture?

Right. Which since contrary to US mores, should have made this lesson plan unacceptable.

Kathianne
06-02-2008, 08:42 PM

In France alone, hundreds of cars were burned by more than tens of disenfranchised youths, aka Islamicists.

Gaffer
06-02-2008, 08:56 PM
In France alone, hundreds of cars were burned by more than tens of disenfranchised youths, aka Islamicists.

Once again I have to spread the rep before repping you again.

For someone that works at cnn he sure doesn't know much about the biggest threat to western civilization since the nazis.

mundame
06-02-2008, 09:03 PM
I didn't see anything in the OP where the students were portraying arab jews and christians.

No, of course not. It's not legal to be anything BUT Muslim in most of the countries: they kill any other kind of believers.

As for the numbers of terrorists. It's way more than just a few thousand. iran, syria and most of the arab countries support terrorist organizations. hamas runs palistine. hezbo runs lebanon. There are not thousands of muslims in the UK and France, there are millions and their population is growing. Denmark has been over run with them. They don't want to assimilate. They want control with sharia law as the governing authority.

Of course, and they are flooding in here also, building mosques as fast as they can. When they get numbers high enough, they try to take over, like they have in every country they've invaded --------- France, England, Denmark, Nigeria, Sudan, Thailand.

It's all part of a very big take over of the world by islam.

Terrorism will be followed by general uprisings as the numbers become available. As the years go by you will be able to watch country after country come under control of the muslims.

You can already watch it. Country after country has already fallen.

There is no radical islam, or bastardized islam. There is just islam.

I entirely agree. It's a vicious, violent religion bent on world domination.

retiredman
06-02-2008, 09:20 PM
palestinian arab christians dress remarkably similar to palestinian arab muslims.

Gaffer
06-02-2008, 09:56 PM
palestinian arab christians dress remarkably similar to palestinian arab muslims.

Why do you suppose that is?

retiredman
06-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Why do you suppose that is?

because their dress is a cultural thing and not a religious thing.

dread
06-02-2008, 10:01 PM
No, of course not. It's not legal to be anything BUT Muslim in most of the countries: they kill any other kind of believers.

Of course, and they are flooding in here also, building mosques as fast as they can. When they get numbers high enough, they try to take over, like they have in every country they've invaded --------- France, England, Denmark, Nigeria, Sudan, Thailand.

You can already watch it. Country after country has already fallen.

I entirely agree. It's a vicious, violent religion bent on world domination.

In another thread you said that muslims were just like flies..Nuisances really but NOT on the scale of say Nazis...

Yet here you make even more claims about how dangerous they are...

So which is it?

Gaffer
06-02-2008, 10:11 PM
because their dress is a cultural thing and not a religious thing.

So it's not to blend in and avoid being singled out? It's not because they have too, to avoid prosecution for not following islamic dress codes?

It is a cultural thing. The islamic culture which demands how they will dress.

retiredman
06-03-2008, 05:41 AM
So it's not to blend in and avoid being singled out? It's not because they have too, to avoid prosecution for not following islamic dress codes?

It is a cultural thing. The islamic culture which demands how they will dress.
"arab culture" and "Islamic culture" are not synonymous. If that were the case, Muslim men in Indonesia would wear keffiyahs... Palestinian Christian women would wear head scarves.

red states rule
06-03-2008, 05:44 AM
You can always count on libs to stand by, and defend terrorists and those who want to destroy America

Hagbard Celine
06-03-2008, 10:36 AM
Proving my point, 7th graders learn nothing for a 'day.' Those that buy into are seriously committed. Those that don't, well they've learned nothing, other than getting a grade or not.

Give me a f*cking break--it's a cutesy dress-up day to learn about a foreign culture for social studies. Quit being such a festering, xenophobic succubus and let the schools teach culture to the kids in a fun, interesting way. There are kids who don't pay attention to lessons in every class so your position here is worthless bullsh*t--biased to make it seem like TEACHING kids about the world is wrong. You're such a hillbilly it's sad.

red states rule
06-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Give me a f*cking break--it's a cutesy dress-up day to learn about a foreign culture for social studies. Quit being such a festering, xenophobic succubus and let the schools teach culture to the kids in a fun, interesting way. There are kids who don't pay attention to lessons in every class so your position here is worthless bullsh*t--biased to make it seem like TEACHING kids about the world is wrong. You're such a hillbilly it's sad.

So when you are busted you fall back on profanity laced insults. Give it up Hag, you are getting an old fashioned ass whipping here

Hagbard Celine
06-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Right there, you lose:

Oh really? The Vatican doesn't agree.http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article3653800.ece

Smarmy succubuses never win friends and influence people Kathy.

Hagbard Celine
06-03-2008, 10:39 AM
So when you are busted you fall back on profanity laced insults. Give it up Hag, you are getting an old fashioned ass whipping here

There's ABSOLUTELY NOTHING wrong with kids learning about other cultures. You and the others who are hating on this are WRONG.

Hagbard Celine
06-03-2008, 10:41 AM

Riots don't count as terrorism. Blacks have rioted and burned cars in LA. Do you call that terrorism?

Hagbard Celine
06-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Right. Which since contrary to US mores, should have made this lesson plan unacceptable.

They didn't instituted gender-specific conduct codes here. They had "Arab" day at school so the kids could learn about the Middle East. What don't you get about this? In the middle east, they separate the sexes--SO, at Arab day they did this to show the kids what gender roles are like in the middle east. It's educational--nothing more.
You're a seething, frothing succubus and all you have done here is poison everything they did by twisting it to make it seem insidious.
You're not fooling anyone.

red states rule
06-03-2008, 10:45 AM
There's ABSOLUTELY NOTHING wrong with kids learning about other cultures. You and the others who are hating on this are WRONG.

They were FORCED to learn. Now if they were FORCED to learn about Christianity and how great America has - libs like you would be foaming at the mouth

Or at Christmas time, when kids want to have a Christams play, put up a tree, or sinfg carols - then libs start their usual rants

Double standards and hypocriacy rules with do gooder libs

hjmick
06-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Riots don't count as terrorism. Blacks have rioted and burned cars in LA. Do you call that terrorism?

If people who were not involved in the riots found themselves scared, afraid to leave their homes, and, well, terrorized, then yes, I would call the Los Angeles riots an act of terrorism and those who rioted terrorists.

What is terrorism really? At it's core it is the act of making others fear for their safety and well bieng and that of their loved ones.

By that definition, riots can certainly be considered acts of terrorism.

Hagbard Celine
06-03-2008, 10:50 AM
You got a link? Any? Wow, you're quick to throw around the generalities, that fly in the face of all polls and data from intelligence agencies. Seriously dude, you used to be a lot better.

Yeah, I used the word "probably," so that "probably" means that I used a generality.
Honestly, I can't find any statistic on the Internets that says exactly how many terrorists there are in the world. I know ignorant hillbillies like yourself believe that all Muslims are terrorists, but that's simply not true.
Logically, since these groups aren't government organizations, but are instead made up of vigilante criminals, it stands to reason that they are not very big--most likely made-up of thousands of members, not millions.
Worldwide, including cells in the middle east, Europe, the Americas and Asia, there probably are a couple million people who could be clearly considered terrorists, but you're insane if you honestly believe that there are millions of terrorists in England, France and Iraq.
It's laughable.

red states rule
06-03-2008, 10:52 AM
If people who were not involved in the riots found themselves scared, afraid to leave their homes, and, well, terrorized, then yes, I would call the Los Angeles riots an act of terrorism and those who rioted terrorists.

What is terrorism really? At it's core it is the act of making others fear for their safety and well bieng and that of their loved ones.

I guess to Hag, only our troops in Iraq are considered terrorists - along with Pres Bush

Hagbard Celine
06-03-2008, 10:55 AM

We're not talking about some all-encompassing term here. Let's use our vocabularies to differentiate.
Rioting should be called what it is--rioting. Rioting isn't controlled or planned. The people involved in the violence aren't trained.
I define Islamic terrorism as a planned militaristic attack perpetrated by trained individuals.
What Kathy and others are doing here is lumping anything and everything that any Muslim does into the terrorism bin and it's neither right nor accurate.
I'd bet they'd call it terrorism if a Muslim robbed a convenience store. It's ridiculous--and it's the same irrational, alarmist mindset that is leading them to go apesh*t over a middle school social studies fair.

Hagbard Celine
06-03-2008, 10:55 AM
I guess to Hag, only our troops in Iraq are considered terrorists - along with Pres Bush

I didn't say that at all you f*cking imbecile.

red states rule
06-03-2008, 10:57 AM
We're not talking about some all-encompassing term here. Let's use our brains to differentiate.
Rioting should be called what it is--rioting. Rioting isn't controlled. The people involved in the violence aren't trained.
I define Islamic terrorism as a militaristic attack.
What Kathy and others are doing here is lumping anything and everything that any Muslim does into the terrorism bin and it's neither right nor accurate.
I'd bet they'd call it terrorism if a Muslim robbed a convenience store. It's ridiculous--and it's the same irrational, alarmist mindset that is leading them to go apesh*t over an elementary school social studies fair.

Well if Muslims get pissed over a cartoon, and burn your house to the ground; and try to kill you, I will call it an act of terror, - you call it what you want

red states rule
06-03-2008, 10:58 AM
I didn't say that at all you f*cking imbecile.

Yea right. You also call them losers and occupiers

Hagbard Celine
06-03-2008, 11:01 AM
They were FORCED to learn. Now if they were FORCED to learn about Christianity and how great America has - libs like you would be foaming at the mouth

Or at Christmas time, when kids want to have a Christams play, put up a tree, or sinfg carols - then libs start their usual rants

Double standards and hypocriacy rules with do gooder libs

What do you mean "forced?" You idiot, do the words you type even get filtered through that thick skull of yours? Nobody can force another person to learn. The law requires that they go to school. What they do with the PRIVILEDGE of a public ecucation is up to them and possibly their parents after that.
It's not a popularity contest. It's not Jesus vs. Allah. These kids aren't going to be converted to another religion (Like it matters anyway) just by learning about it. And you can't learn about the Middle East without learning about Islam--just like you can't learn about the West without learning about Christianity.

Hagbard Celine
06-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Yea right. You also call them losers and occupiers

They ARE occupiers. What the f*ck do you think they're doing over there? Marching toward Bowser's castle? They live in a green zone in the middle of the city and direct traffic and do weapons raids. That's the definition of occupation!
But they haven't lost anything I'm aware of. And you'll never hear me say they have. The country has been pretty much leveled, so I don't think "losing" is in the cards genius.

red states rule
06-03-2008, 11:04 AM
What do you mean "forced?" You idiot, do the words you type even get filtered through that thick skull of yours? Nobody can force another person to learn. The law requires that they go to school. What they do with the PRIVILEDGE of a public ecucation is up to them and possibly their parents after that.
It's not a popularity contest. It's not Jesus vs. Allah. These kids aren't going to be converted to another religion (Like it matters anyway) just by learning about it. And you can't learn about the Middle East without learning about Islam--just like you can't learn about the West without learning about Christianity.

The kids were FORCED to dress like little arabs Hag.

Hagbard Celine
06-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Well if Muslims get pissed over a cartoon, and burn your house to the ground; and try to kill you, I will call it an act of terror, - you call it what you want

Well, simpletons never have been much for vocabulary. (shrug)

Hagbard Celine
06-03-2008, 11:09 AM
The kids were FORCED to dress like little arabs Hag.

http://ncimg.sv.publicus.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=NC&Date=20070531&Category=MILFORD01&ArtNo=70531004&Ref=AR&MaxW=228

Yeah, this kid from the story really looks like his hands are tied. The teacher pointing a gun at him is behind the camera--that's why you can't see her. :rolleyes:
You idiot, those kids don't give a crap--they're just happy that they don't have to stare at books for one day and that they get a snack at 2:00 pm--the political aspect (if you really want to read one into the whole thing) is lost on them. Your alarmism is unwarranted.

hjmick
06-03-2008, 11:32 AM
We're not talking about some all-encompassing term here. Let's use our brains to differentiate.

No need to get personal, Hag. The answer I gave to the question you posed was legitimate.

Rioting should be called what it is--rioting. Rioting isn't controlled or planned. The people involved in the violence aren't trained.

This doesn't make it any less terrorizing. I watched the Los Angeles riots live on television from my apartment in Canoga Park. A lot of what I saw, while militaristic in terms of the people involved, seemed pretty well coordinated. Granted, much of what occurred was spontaneous in nature, but you also had many who worked together to carry their attacks, especially on business establishments.

I define Islamic terrorism as a planned militaristic attack perpetrated by trained individuals.

Many people define terrorism the same way. But if you consider the case of homicide (suicide) bombers, the most frequently used tool in the terrorist arsenal, how much training is involved? They've been know to use the mentally handicapped to carry out attacks for Christ's sake.

I understand your point, however, and don't necessarily disagree. I was merely pointing out that, on some level, riots could indeed be considered terrorism.

I'd bet they'd call it terrorism if a Muslim robbed a convenience store. It's ridiculous--and it's the same irrational, alarmist mindset that is leading them to go apesh*t over an elementary school social studies fair.

I see it somewhat differently. While there is a definite penchant for many here to equate Islam with terrorism, my initial reaction to the thread topic was to wonder what the reactions would be had there been a similar day involving other cultures whose religion also deeply influence how they live. As I mentioned before, I maintain that, while it is not the only religion in the region, the tenets Islam and Sharia law influence the culture and lifestyle deeply. It is, in my opinion, not possible to learn about the Middle East without also learning about Islam, at least on some level.

Hagbard Celine
06-03-2008, 11:44 AM
No need to get personal, Hag. The answer I gave to the question you posed was legitimate.;
I changed my wording--I guess while you were writing this--from "brains" to "vocabularies." You're usually very cordial so I don't mean to insult you.

This doesn't make it any less terrorizing. I watched the Los Angeles riots live on television from my apartment in Canoga Park. A lot of what I saw, while militaristic in terms of the people involved, seemed pretty well coordinated. Granted, much of what occurred was spontaneous in nature, but you also had many who worked together to carry their attacks, especially on business establishments.
Many people define terrorism the same way. But if you consider the case of homicide (suicide) bombers, the most frequently used tool in the terrorist arsenal, how much training is involved? They've been know to use the mentally handicapped to carry out attacks for Christ's sake.
I understand your point, however, and don't necessarily disagree. I was merely pointing out that, on some level, riots could indeed be considered terrorism.
I agree. The word "terrorism" could be used in just about any case where violence is used as the means to an end, but for the purposes of this thread about Arabs and Islamic terrorism, I think the term's definition is pretty clear. To me, it's pretty simple. Islamic terrorism is what it is and I don't think the Paris riots qualify. Yes, the people involved were Muslims. Yes, they used violence. But I think that calling it "terrorism" goes off the deep end into xenophobia/blanket stereotype territory.
From what I understand, the Muslim youths in Paris who rioted did so for a number of reasons--namely, that they were feeling threatened by French police--when the two kids/teens who were being chased by police died as a result of hiding from the police, that was what triggered the rioting. It's almost the same thing that happened in LA.

I see it somewhat differently. While there is a definite penchant for many here to equate Islam with terrorism, my initial reaction to the thread topic was to wonder what the reactions would be had there been a similar day involving other cultures whose religion also deeply influence how they live. As I mentioned before, I maintain that, while it is not the only religion in the region, the tenets Islam and Sharia law influence the culture and lifestyle deeply. It is, in my opinion, not possible to learn about the Middle East without also learning about Islam, at least on some level.

I think that if they had learned about Hinduism, Shintoism, Siekism, Buddhism--any foreign religion, we would've had the same reaction from board hardliners: "Why are they not learning about Christianity? It's the LIBS! They're indoctrinating our childrens!!! :eek:"
There's this double standard in their mindset that makes them think learning anything other than stars and stripes and Jesus is wrong or a plot to kill America--it's ignorant, xenophobic hillbilly bullsh*t and I'll call it that every time.

hjmick
06-03-2008, 12:01 PM
I changed my wording--I guess while you were writing this--from "brains" to "vocabularies." You're usually very cordial so I don't mean to insult you.

As are you when we exchange ideas and opinions, no offense was taken. After posting it, I almost went back added some sort of light hearted emoticon.

I agree. The word "terrorism" could be used in just about any case where violence is used as the means to an end, but for the purposes of this thread about Arabs and Islamic terrorism, I think the term's definition is pretty clear. To me, it's pretty simple. Islamic terrorism is what it is and I don't think the Paris riots qualify. Yes, the people involved were Muslims. Yes, they used violence. But I think that calling it "terrorism" goes off the deep end into xenophobia/blanket stereotype territory.

From what I understand, the Muslim youths in Paris who rioted did so for a number of reasons--namely, that they were feeling threatened by French police--when the two kids/teens who were being chased by police died as a result of hiding from the police, that was what triggered the rioting. It's almost the same thing that happened in LA.

As a rule, I would not call rioting terrorism either. Though in some instances it is hard not to.

I think that if they had learned about Hinduism, Shintoism, Siekism, Buddhism--any foreign religion, we would've had the same reaction from board hardliners: "Why are they not learning about Christianity? It's the LIBS! They're indoctrinating our childrens!!! :eek:"
There's this double standard in their mindset that makes them think learning anything other than stars and stripes and Jesus is wrong or a plot to kill America--it's ignorant, xenophobic hillbilly bullsh*t and I'll call it that every time.

I do tend to agree that reactions would have been similar with other religions, and I understand that. At least it's consistent. Personally, I'm one of those "keep religion out of the schools" kind of guys. My biggest reason for this is, I feel that if you teach one you must teach them all and there's just not enough time in the day for that. Other reasons include my feeling that religion is or should be a personal matter, and I myself am not religious.

Hagbard Celine
06-03-2008, 12:14 PM
I do tend to agree that reactions would have been similar with other religions, and I understand that. At least it's consistent. Personally, I'm one of those "keep religion out of the schools" kind of guys. My biggest reason for this is, I feel that if you teach one you must teach them all and there's just not enough time in the day for that. Other reasons include my feeling that religion is or should be a personal matter, and I myself am not religious.

I agree. If they had done a deep study of Islam for regular social studies class or history or whatever it was, I'd agree that they had given preference to Islam, but all they did was have a kiosk with a prayer rug and a common Muslim prayer so that the kids would be aware of what religion is practiced in the Middle East. (shrug)

retiredman
06-03-2008, 01:58 PM
the faux outrage over this is really quite laughable.... but it does illuminate the troglodytic mindset of many who really do see every muslim as our enemy.

Kathianne
06-03-2008, 02:32 PM
the faux outrage over this is really quite laughable.... but it does illuminate the troglodytic mindset of many who really do see every muslim as our enemy.

I'd hardly characterize myself that way. I think I made some pretty good points, which uncharacteristically you are ignoring with this post.

retiredman
06-03-2008, 04:29 PM
I'd hardly characterize myself that way. I think I made some pretty good points, which uncharacteristically you are ignoring with this post.

I would never lump you in with the troglodytes! ;)

actsnoblemartin
06-03-2008, 05:56 PM
so any criticize of any muslim, or any part of the koran makes me or others islamo-phobic or hateful, is that it?

:poke:

actsnoblemartin
06-03-2008, 05:57 PM
equal treatment for all religions, not just the sacred cow one.

I agree. If they had done a deep study of Islam for regular social studies class or history or whatever it was, I'd agree that they had given preference to Islam, but all they did was have a kiosk with a prayer rug and a common Muslim prayer so that the kids would be aware of what religion is practiced in the Middle East. (shrug)

red states rule
06-03-2008, 06:01 PM
so any criticize of any muslim, or any part of the koran makes me or others islamo-phobic or hateful, is that it?

:poke:

I do not criticize Islam - it is a blast

Little-Acorn
06-03-2008, 06:04 PM
It would be a hoot if one kid came wrapped in (fake) dynamite sticks and a ticking alarm clock. The oh-so-sensitive teacher might say, "But Johnnie, not all Arabs are suicide bombers!" To which the kid might reply, "Well, there are three hundred kids here dressed like Arabs, and none of them have bombs except me. Sounds about right, then, doesn't it?"

Course, he'd be in "Sensitivity Training" for the rest of his life..... :D :D :D

red states rule
06-03-2008, 06:07 PM
It would be a hoot if one kid came wrapped in (fake) dynamite sticks and a ticking alarm clock. The oh-so-sensitive teacher might say, "But Johnnie, not all Arabs are suicide bombers!" To which the kid might reply, "Well, there are three hundred kids here dressed like Arabs, and none of them have bombs except me. Sounds about right, then, doesn't it?"

Course, he'd be in "Sensitivity Training" for the rest of his life..... :D :D :D

Do not forget about the AK-47's and shouting "I am kiling for Allah"

retiredman
06-03-2008, 07:57 PM

where did I say that? I said that the troglodytes on here who are getting their undies in a bunch over this innocent cultural awareness presentation at a middle school and claiming because ONE booth, out of FOURTEEN had a prayer rug and a koran, the school was somehow endorsing Islam or forcing children to learn about Islam are displaying faux outrage.

Abbey Marie
06-03-2008, 08:00 PM
where did I say that? I said that the troglodytes on here who are getting their undies in a bunch over this innocent cultural awareness presentation at a middle school and claiming because ONE booth, out of FOURTEEN had a prayer rug and a koran, the school was somehow endorsing Islam or forcing children to learn about Islam are displaying faux outrage.

Acutally, I think it's more like "foe" outrage. :D

red states rule
06-03-2008, 08:01 PM
and if you say anything that PO's the Muslims.......

retiredman
06-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Acutally, I think it's more like "foe" outrage. :D

and if you want to think that every muslim in the world is your "foe", go for it.

Abbey Marie
06-03-2008, 08:04 PM
and if you want to think that every muslim in the world is your "foe", go for it.

Tsk tsk. No sense of humor.

red states rule
06-03-2008, 08:08 PM

MFM is a human hemoroid, He hangs around and gives you a pain in the ass

Said1
06-03-2008, 08:11 PM
I was forced to dress like a king (arab?) in my grade one Christmas pagent. I had to wear a sheet over my head with a gold head band and everything.......the horror! Of course, the teachers pet got to be Mary. Bitch.

retiredman
06-03-2008, 09:49 PM

I have a great sense of humor. Faux and Foe sound are homonyms. Homonyms! what an hilarious concept!:lol:

retiredman
06-03-2008, 09:51 PM
I was forced to dress like a king (arab?) in my grade one Christmas pagent. I had to wear a sheet over my head with a gold head band and everything.......the horror! Of course, the teachers pet got to be Mary. Bitch.

Were you Caspar, Melchior, or Balthasar?

Said1
06-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Were you Caspar, Melchior, or Balthasar?

If memory serves me correctly, I think I was Hershle, the frankensense king. Prices so low, it'll bloooooooow your mind.

retiredman
06-03-2008, 10:16 PM
If memory serves me correctly, I think I was Hershle, the frankensense king. Prices so low, it'll bloooooooow your mind.

lol

I'd ask for another serving!

Abbey Marie
06-04-2008, 09:02 AM
I have a great sense of humor. Faux and Foe sound are homonyms. Homonyms! what an hilarious concept!:lol:

Cool. Glad you finally got it.

Hagbard Celine
06-06-2008, 10:14 AM

I always knew there was something off about you Said. Now I know--it's because you were forced to to dress like an Arab as a kid. (shakes head) :dance:

Gaffer
06-06-2008, 06:01 PM
I always knew there was something off about you Said. Now I know--it's because you were forced to to dress like an Arab as a kid. (shakes head) :dance:

What makes it worse is she was forced to dress like an arab MAN.

Noir
06-06-2008, 06:09 PM
NH Paper: Celebrating 'Open Tent' Day -- Kids Dress Like Arabs
By Warner Todd Huston | May 31, 2008 - 16:46 ET

Only in the west can one see a school that hosts a day when school children are encouraged to dress like, act like, and "learn about" those trying to kill them and all in a day that the country is in the midst of war. And only in the west would the media help celebrate such an outrageous example of support for what, in truth, are our enemies.
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/warner-todd-huston/2008/05/31/nh-paper-celebrating-open-tent-day-kids-dress-arabs

and

http://www.cabinet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070531/MILFORD01/70531004/-1/Milford01

So please do tell me how all Arabs want US children dead?

But to really get the feel for arab day they need to have guns and explosives.
Very true, afterall these Amercain kids will only have acess to guns :salute:

Kathianne
06-06-2008, 06:14 PM
So please do tell me how all Arabs want US children dead?

Very true, afterall these Amercain kids will only have acess to guns :salute:

Just to be fair, he's undergoing chemo and may not be able to respond for a few days.