PDA

View Full Version : Would you inform on a benefit cheat?

Roomy
06-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Or would you say good luck to them if they can get away with it?

hjmick
06-02-2008, 12:39 PM
I pay my taxes. My taxes go to pay for the benefits. I'd turn them in.

Roomy
06-02-2008, 12:43 PM
I pay my taxes. My taxes go to pay for the benefits. I'd turn them in.

Do you begrudge them the chance to make a few bucks? If you found yourself in a similar position would you declare the money you made?

crin63
06-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Or would you say good luck to them if they can get away with it?

Please elaborate on what kind of benefits you are in reference too. Thanks.

Roomy
06-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Please elaborate on what kind of benefits you are in reference too. Thanks.

Any really, false claims, such as single parent families who are obviously not single, claiming unemployment when infact they are working for cash etc. etc.

hjmick
06-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Do you begrudge them the chance to make a few bucks? If you found yourself in a similar position would you declare the money you made?

To be honest? Yes, if they are collecting benefits and earning money under the table, I would be pissed.

To be really honest? If I ever found myself in the same position, I would probably not declare any money I earned under the table.

Having been employed with the same company for twenty five years, a company with no history of lay-offs and always growing, it's easy for me to take the high road and pretend to be holier than the next guy. Having never collected unemployment of any other type government benefit, and having never worried about it, I truly have no idea what it must be like. I can't imagine how I would handle the situation. I think this is the biggest reason for the double standard in my response.

Roomy
06-02-2008, 12:57 PM
To be honest? Yes, if they are collecting benefits and earning money under the table, I would be pissed.

To be really honest? If I ever found myself in the same position, I would probably not declare any money I earned under the table.

Having been employed with the same company for twenty five years, a company with no history of lay-offs and always growing, it's easy for me to take the high road and pretend to be holier than the next guy. Having never collected unemployment of any other type government benefit, and having never worried about it, I truly have no idea what it must be like. I can't imagine how I would handle the situation. I think this is the biggest reason for the double standard in my response.

At least you are honest about it Mick.Do you think it would make a difference to your stance if the person you knew to be making false claims were a friend or relation?Have you ever used anyone for a job you needed doing and paid them cash or in kind?

hjmick
06-02-2008, 01:11 PM
At least you are honest about it Mick.Do you think it would make a difference to your stance if the person you knew to be making false claims were a friend or relation?Have you ever used anyone for a job you needed doing and paid them cash or in kind?

It would depend on the relation or friend. As to the issue of relations, were it my mother or father, I'd probably look the other way. How do you turn in your parents? If it were my sister, I'd turn her in. That bitch pisses me off. I have a cousin I'd turn in as well. To the question of a friend, if it was one of my best friends? No. Never. One of them I am married to and the other I love like a brother, more than my sister. The rest of my "friends" are really just acquaintances, from work mostly, and I'm not sure what I'd do if the situation arose. When they quit I tend to lose touch with them.

Have I ever used someone for a job and paid them cash? I don't think so, at least not in recent memory. To the best of my memory, I have always either done the job myself or hired legitimate firms to do the work.

DragonStryk72
06-02-2008, 04:57 PM

I'm with HJ on this, and as to this point: I wouldn't be. With my knee problems I could in technicality go after disability, but it would not be honest of to go, get the forms, fill the out, and send them in knowing that I'm not fully disabled. You only have ethics if they stay the same regardless.

Mr. P
06-02-2008, 05:04 PM
Would you inform on a benefit cheat?

IN A F'IN New York Minute! (and That's fast).

April15
06-02-2008, 07:14 PM
My wife used to work as a medical fraud investigator. You bet cheaters would be prosecuted!

My Winter Storm
06-04-2008, 03:10 AM
I'd turn them in. Everyone else pays taxes, why should I let them get away with not paying them?