PDA

View Full Version : Do You Have Kids?

actsnoblemartin
06-03-2008, 04:42 PM
If so, tell us about them. All girls, all boys, both? Ages?

What makes them unique, special, what are their hobbies, hopes, dreams, etc

I think we're all curious to know about your kids :)

I know I am :dance:

Trigg
06-03-2008, 05:00 PM

I'm sure everyone here knows I have kids, but here's the list.

Oldest son 15---loves wrestling and is interrested in the Air Force Accademy

Daughter 13---Right now a little boy crazy, although we're trying to put a lid on that. She did track and managed the wrestling team last yr. Usually an all A student, but she had trouble with advanced math this yr. She hated getting B's.

Son 10----He's a little nut. Shy around new people. We're trying to talk him into going away to camp this summer, his older brother is a counselor there this yr.

Son 6-----He's my baby what can I say. He just "graduated" kindergarten. He's a little sweetie.

All have been on the honor roll this yr. Yes, I'm a proud mom.

Kathianne
06-03-2008, 05:50 PM
I'm sure everyone here knows I have kids, but here's the list.

Oldest son 15---loves wrestling and is interrested in the Air Force Accademy

Daughter 13---Right now a little boy crazy, although we're trying to put a lid on that. She did track and managed the wrestling team last yr. Usually an all A student, but she had trouble with advanced math this yr. She hated getting B's. Good luck with the 'lid'. ;)

Son 10----He's a little nut. Shy around new people. We're trying to talk him into going away to camp this summer, his older brother is a counselor there this yr.

Son 6-----He's my baby what can I say. He just "graduated" kindergarten. He's a little sweetie.

All have been on the honor roll this yr. Yes, I'm a proud mom.
Mine are older, as am I. :)

Two graduate in the coming year, from college. Both already have jobs. The youngest is considering the marines, he's signed some letter of intent. I'm hyperventilating now. I'd have joined, if of age and ability. So, more power to him.

Little-Acorn
06-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Three sons. 19, 9 (will be 10 next week), and 2.

midcan5
06-03-2008, 07:23 PM
Two boys, good kids, one graduated magna cum laude in math, one raced cars, one like me, easy going, one like mom, impatient, one more liberal than even I. Beautiful granddaughter and another ? on the way, from the more like mom. LOL

Abbey Marie
06-03-2008, 07:24 PM
We have one beautiful, very smart, musically talented, conservative, Christian daughter, who is 16.

We reached perfection, so we stopped there. :D However, now that she is driving, I may have to shoot myself.

midcan5
06-03-2008, 07:37 PM
We reached perfection, so we stopped there. :D However, now that she is driving, I may have to shoot myself.

:laugh2: So true, we used to leave the hall light on when the racer was out late, and waking in the middle of the night and seeing it off was always a relief.

Said1
06-03-2008, 08:05 PM
One daughter, 10.

Mr. P
06-03-2008, 08:22 PM
One daughter, 20. She's in college and wants to be an archaeologist (last I heard), don't ask me why, makes no sense to me.

retiredman
06-03-2008, 09:59 PM
Son: 33... National Merit Scholar. B.A. in music(vocal performance), M.A. in music(choral conducting). now a music teacher at a high school in Maine... also directs a church choir and a community chorus. Almost as good a golfer as his dad.

Son: 21... senior in college. Honors student. High school baseball, hockey and soccer star. Now a journalism major... doing an internship at ESPN this fall... just got back spring semester in Cannes.

Daughter: 18... freshman in college. Honors student. Long time equestrian, she and her horse just won three events at a horse show this weekend... Field hockey and choral music are her sidelines...

Mr. P
06-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Son: 33... National Merit Scholar. B.A. in music(vocal performance), M.A. in music(choral conducting). now a music teacher at a high school in Maine... also directs a church choir and a community chorus. Almost as good a golfer as his dad.

Son: 21... senior in college. Honors student. High school baseball, hockey and soccer star. Now a journalism major... doing an internship at ESPN this fall... just got back spring semester in Cannes.

Daughter: 18... freshman in college. Honors student. Long time equestrian, she and her horse just won three events at a horse show this weekend... Field hockey and choral music are her sidelines...

Bragger!!!:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::poke:

retiredman
06-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Bragger!!!:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::poke:

doesn't every dad like to brag about his kids?

especially when he has three worth bragging about like I do?

but hey, archeology is nothing to sneeze at!

Mr. P
06-03-2008, 10:14 PM
doesn't every dad like to brag about his kids?

especially when he has three worth bragging about like I do?

Yep!

Pale Rider
06-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Son: 29, Army veteran, service connected disabled veteran, B.A. Graphic Design, Scholarship, National Deans List for 3.9 GPA, works for major 3D design and game company, planning to go back to school to get M.A.. Sings and plays guitar at open mic nights here at different places in Reno/Sparks. 2nd Dan, (Ee Dan), Black Belt Tae Kwon Do Master. Also studies Kempo Karate. (Unfortunately he uses me as a sparing partner, and I have the bruises to prove it.)

manu1959
06-03-2008, 10:18 PM
a little girl 5.....she is hell on wheels.....

a little boy 10......a brillant young actor......

My Winter Storm
06-04-2008, 03:29 AM
I have no kids, but I will someday. I am hoping for some girls, maybe two. I will call them Sharon and Delain.
Well, I might change my mind about Delain, but Sharon I am sure of, and have been for many years now!

AFbombloader
06-04-2008, 03:45 AM
Son 15, will be a sophmore in the fall, plays melophone in the marching band and french horn in the orchestra, wrestles (with Trigg's boy and gets beat on a daily basis) ran track, and is a generally great kid. Last I heard he wanted to be a lawyer after he does the AF Academy thing and the Air Force.

Son 11, will be an 7th grader this fall, wrestles, runs cross country and track, plays trumpet in the band (was the only 6th grader invited to play in the jazz band). He wants to get back into the Boy Scouts since he went camping a few weeks ago. Not real sure what he wants to be when he grows up, but I am not sure what I want to do when I grow up either!

Both are honor roll students, church goers, and great helps to their mom while I am away. I cant wait till July 14th when I can hug them again.

AF:salute:

Trigg
06-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Good luck with the 'lid'. ;)
Mine are older, as am I. :)

Tell me about it. We just got in a discussion this morning about boys. Seems I'm hopelessly oldfashioned and "I don't care about her social life".

Trigg
06-04-2008, 09:48 AM
Son 15, will be a sophmore in the fall, plays melophone in the marching band and french horn in the orchestra, wrestles (with Trigg's boy and gets beat on a daily basis) ran track, and is a generally great kid. Last I heard he wanted to be a lawyer after he does the AF Academy thing and the Air Force.

Son 11, will be an 7th grader this fall, wrestles, runs cross country and track, plays trumpet in the band (was the only 6th grader invited to play in the jazz band). He wants to get back into the Boy Scouts since he went camping a few weeks ago. Not real sure what he wants to be when he grows up, but I am not sure what I want to do when I grow up either!

Both are honor roll students, church goers, and great helps to their mom while I am away. I cant wait till July 14th when I can hug them again.

AF:salute:

Looking forward to seeing you when you get here. I hope you have pictures to show!!!!!!

We're dragging your kids camping with us next weekend, should be fun!!

PostmodernProphet
06-04-2008, 10:39 AM
yes, I bought two....

my son is 21 and lives in Florida, my daughter is 18 and will be going to college in the fall....

crin63
06-04-2008, 11:18 AM
3 Kids!

Oldest son, 22 goes to a U.C. in the Honors program as an English major, works full time for H.P. and wants to write for computer magazines. Has his own apartment.

Younger son, 19 tomorrow, community college and will transfer to a U.C. next fall wants to be an attorney or engineer. Works for the American Red Cross as a CPR instructor. Still lives at home for which I am very grateful to God.

Daughter 13, starts high school in July, Captain of her basketball and volleyball teams, wears a skirt or dress 90% of the time, loves to make jewelry, watches chick flicks with my wife and shoot em ups with me. She loves Rocky, Rambo and John Wayne. She cant wait for me to take her shooting so I can teach her to shoot my M1A. Likes basketball best because she plays it like its hockey, she likes to body check the other girls. She really wants to get into Karate. Girls got more heart than any of the boys in her school when it comes to competing. She's daddies girl.

Abbey Marie
06-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Judging by most posts, I guess I should have been more detailed:

Daughter, 16 - Top 5% of her class, National Honor Society, All-State trumpet player, 1st chair in jazz band, black belt in Tae kwon do, attends missions trips to inner city D.C., beautiful girl.

But- keeps a very messy room. :laugh2:

gabosaurus
06-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Daughter, 7, will be in the second grade this fall. We haven't officially taken her home yet, but I can already tell that she is going to be a daddy's girl. She adores my husband.
She collects stuffed horses and loves to groom them. One of the first things she wants to do is go fishing with my husband's dad. Don't know where that came from. Neither my husband or I have any interest in fishing.

Kathianne
06-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Tell me about it. We just got in a discussion this morning about boys. Seems I'm hopelessly oldfashioned and "I don't care about her social life".

Just wait! I remember my daughter coming home the first summer of college. She wanted a few weeks off, 'to decompress'. I didn't know how 'hard she worked at school.' Mind you, most of the time she was in high school I was working 80-90 hours a week! Not to mention that I'd already completed 3 degrees. LOL! Once that part was made clear, her response, "It was much easier back then." Sigh.

Seriously, 13 is when girls start to notice boys; they don't notice most of the boys haven't gotten around to noticing girls. ;) At the same time, there is sometimes pressure on both boys and girls to 'meet up' and from what I'm hearing, doing more. It's best to have them at home or at homes where you know the parents are decent but reliable.

My daughter is 25 now, but the rule was 'no group dates' until 15, no 'car dates' until 16. Boys and girls were welcome to my home and I allowed the kids to go to homes where I knew the parents wouldn't leave them alone for hours at a time. Heck half the time, the kids would sit at the kitchen table with me, just yakking.

Mr. P
06-04-2008, 06:29 PM
It sorta sounds like many of us share the same kids. Go figure! :laugh2::clap:

Trigg
06-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Seriously, 13 is when girls start to notice boys; they don't notice most of the boys haven't gotten around to noticing girls. ;) At the same time, there is sometimes pressure on both boys and girls to 'meet up' and from what I'm hearing, doing more. It's best to have them at home or at homes where you know the parents are decent but reliable.

My daughter is 25 now, but the rule was 'no group dates' until 15, no 'car dates' until 16. Boys and girls were welcome to my home and I allowed the kids to go to homes where I knew the parents wouldn't leave them alone for hours at a time. Heck half the time, the kids would sit at the kitchen table with me, just yakking.

We have the same rules as far as when dating is going to start. She did go to the movies with a boy she liked. We're friends with his parents and his older brother and my oldest are best friends. My husband and his father went as well as his older brother and my oldest. Not exactly what you would call a date in other words.

The boy she likes now invited her over to have dinner with him and his mom. I'm not discouraging her having a "boyfriend" she talks to on the phone or someone she walks around with at school. I just don't think she needs to go have dinner with him. She thinks I'm being mean.

Thank goodness the others are boys, I don't know how my parents did it with 4 girls.

Kathianne
06-04-2008, 08:59 PM
We have the same rules as far as when dating is going to start. She did go to the movies with a boy she liked. We're friends with his parents and his older brother and my oldest are best friends. My husband and his father went as well as his older brother and my oldest. Not exactly what you would call a date in other words.

The boy she likes now invited her over to have dinner with him and his mom. I'm not discouraging her having a "boyfriend" she talks to on the phone or someone she walks around with at school. I just don't think she needs to go have dinner with him. She thinks I'm being mean.

Thank goodness the others are boys, I don't know how my parents did it with 4 girls.

It's a jungle out there, for kids and parents. Today was my last day with this group of 7th graders. I brought in Dunkin Donuts, and they gave me a generous gift. We went to mass, I gave them their report cards afterwards. Lots of hugs. Then they were going to a pool party/barbeque. I'm glad I'm not there tomorrow. ;)

ranger
06-04-2008, 09:56 PM

Looking for a basement playmate??? What's the matter, all your other friends deflated?

Nukeman
06-05-2008, 06:08 AM
Looking for a basement playmate??? What's the matter, all your other friends deflated?I have to ask, what exactly is the purpose of this staement. this thread is going along nicely and then this post.

Why the attack, why the presumption?

jackass
06-05-2008, 08:49 AM
I have to ask, what exactly is the purpose of this staement. this thread is going along nicely and then this post.

Why the attack, why the presumption?

Hence his banning. The attacks all stop now.

Have a good day! :salute:

glockmail
06-05-2008, 09:02 AM
I have no kids, but I will someday. I am hoping for some girls, maybe two. I will call them Sharon and Delain.
Well, I might change my mind about Delain, but Sharon I am sure of, and have been for many years now! Gotta get youself a stable man first babe, get hitched and all that. Otherwise you'll be setting them up disadvantaged.

crin63
06-05-2008, 09:28 AM

I didn't allow my sons to date and won't allow my daughter to date. That said my sons had girls that were friends and even girls that they liked alot but where they went and what they did was monitored and measured. I knew who they were with and where they went at all times. There was generally adults around that I know and trust also.

Obviously they did things that I am not aware of, they're kids which means they're sneaky and deceitful at times.

They're options were limited to we do it my way or you have decided that you're old enough to leave my house. They always had a place to go. They could go live with their mom at any time that they wanted too and have all the freedoms that they wanted. They chose to stay and so long as they live/d under my roof they do it my way. I don't see parenting as a democracy.

I got custody of them when they were 6 & 3 years old both are now in college. We have/had a simple plan. Finish your education before you start looking for a wife. Why let the kid have all the emotional and sexual baggage of messing around with girls for 10-15 years. It doesn't seem very helpful after your married.

gabosaurus
06-05-2008, 10:07 AM
I didn't allow my sons to date and won't allow my daughter to date....

I remember a case like this in Los Angeles about a decade or so ago. A father disapproved of all his kid's friends, even threatened to kill one guy if he laid a hand on his daughter.
Guy's youngest son ended up shooting him. :p

crin63
06-05-2008, 10:26 AM
I remember a case like this in Los Angeles about a decade or so ago. A father disapproved of all his kid's friends, even threatened to kill one guy if he laid a hand on his daughter.
Guy's youngest son ended up shooting him. :p

Hey, I live in Los Angeles.

My kids have dozens of friends. I just decide which friends they cant have.

The boys my daughter knows, all know me and they like me. They just know not to mess with my daughter. For the most part their dads feel the same way about dating as I do.

My youngest son has the combination to my gun safe and the skills to use the guns in it. He's pretty good with my custom M1A, my 700p and my Sig .45. Were going shooting for fathers day with the guys from my church. I'll be taking my daughter and wife out shooting in a couple weeks also and develop their skills.

actsnoblemartin
06-05-2008, 03:30 PM
I like the way you think :clap:

Hey, I live in Los Angeles.

My kids have dozens of friends. I just decide which friends they cant have.

The boys my daughter knows, all know me and they like me. They just know not to mess with my daughter. For the most part their dads feel the same way about dating as I do.

My youngest son has the combination to my gun safe and the skills to use the guns in it. He's pretty good with my custom M1A, my 700p and my Sig .45. Were going shooting for fathers day with the guys from my church. I'll be taking my daughter and wife out shooting in a couple weeks also and develop their skills.

gabosaurus
06-05-2008, 03:40 PM
crin63, my dad tried to be that restrictive with my older sister. Wanted to meet the guys she intended to date and all that.
She ended up going behind his back and dating a guy from a Mexican street gang. They went out for almost a year and neither of my parents ever knew it.

I won't have that many restrictions on who my daughter dates. But she will not be allowed to go out with a militaristic gun nut.
Mexicans will be OK, though.

Abbey Marie
06-05-2008, 03:48 PM
crin63, my dad tried to be that restrictive with my older sister. Wanted to meet the guys she intended to date and all that.
She ended up going behind his back and dating a guy from a Mexican street gang. They went out for almost a year and neither of my parents ever knew it.

I won't have that many restrictions on who my daughter dates. But she will not be allowed to go out with a militaristic gun nut.

Do you think that wanting to meet the guy your daughter wants to date is very restrictive? Really?

crin63
06-05-2008, 04:05 PM

I'll be nice.

I have a daily active part in my kids lives. I don't just see them on occasion. The 1st thing my kids do is come in and give me a hug in the morning, because they want to. That includes my 19 year old son. I go to all my kids games, I read with my kids, I talk with my kids, I listen to my kids and I comfort my kids. I could go on but Its probably not necessary. I instilled actual values in my children. I can explain values for you libs out there if necessary.

It may not have occurred to you but some kids actually like their dads, love their dads, respect their dads and honor their dads. I realize that the concepts of love, honor and respect are foreign to Libs. If you need an explanation I'll be glad to help out.

Its not about being restrictive, its about being involved. Its about communication and teach them to use logic and reason when arriving at decisions. Not just emoting all over the place.

actsnoblemartin
06-05-2008, 04:20 PM
trust me, she can be very annoying at times :laugh2:

I'll be nice.

I have a daily active part in my kids lives. I don't just see them on occasion. The 1st thing my kids do is come in and give me a hug in the morning, because they want to. That includes my 19 year old son. I go to all my kids games, I read with my kids, I talk with my kids, I listen to my kids and I comfort my kids. I could go on but Its probably not necessary. I instilled actual values in my children. I can explain values for you libs out there if necessary.

It may not have occurred to you but some kids actually like their dads, love their dads, respect their dads and honor their dads. I realize that the concepts of love, honor and respect are foreign to Libs. If you need an explanation I'll be glad to help out.

Its not about being restrictive, its about being involved. Its about communication and teach them to use logic and reason when arriving at decisions. Not just emoting all over the place.

Trigg
06-05-2008, 05:08 PM
I didn't allow my sons to date and won't allow my daughter to date. That said my sons had girls that were friends and even girls that they liked alot but where they went and what they did was monitored and measured. I knew who they were with and where they went at all times. There was generally adults around that I know and trust also.

Obviously they did things that I am not aware of, they're kids which means they're sneaky and deceitful at times.

They're options were limited to we do it my way or you have decided that you're old enough to leave my house. They always had a place to go. They could go live with their mom at any time that they wanted too and have all the freedoms that they wanted. They chose to stay and so long as they live/d under my roof they do it my way. I don't see parenting as a democracy.

I got custody of them when they were 6 & 3 years old both are now in college. We have/had a simple plan. Finish your education before you start looking for a wife. Why let the kid have all the emotional and sexual baggage of messing around with girls for 10-15 years. It doesn't seem very helpful after your married.

We've agreed to let our kids start dating when they're 16. We will meet the person they plan to date.

We have a very good relationship with our kids as well. But, I really can't tell them not to date until after college. I just don't agree with being that restrictive.

gabosaurus
06-05-2008, 05:26 PM
I'll be nice.

This is actually pretty awesome. You and my parents would see eye to eye on a lot of things. Because (believe it or not), you share a lot of values.

My parents had to meet whoever we were dating. My sister chose not to tell them. My parents met my now husband the day after I met him. My sister was more independent and headstrong.
Kids can be pretty resourceful. If they don't want you to know about something, you aren't going to know.

You can restrict the people that your kids want to date. But it is futile to attempt to prohibit it. Dating is a ritual of passage. It is how kids learn to relate to the opposite sex. If you have instilled proper morals and ethics, you don't have to worry about who they are dating. Because they will impose harsher values on themselves than you ever could.
Prohibiting dating is stunting their emotional growth. They need to be able to learn to deal with their feelings and how to interact with others.

For liberal 60's hippie types, my parents were pretty restrictive and old fashioned. We couldn't go out on school nights (except for school activities). We couldn't single date until we were 16. We could only go to approved social gatherings. And only then if our grades were up to approved standards.

My parents didn't make a lot of money. But they were home every night and all weekend. They took us wherever we needed to go. We never received "allowances" or were freely given spending money. We did chores as our part of being a family member.
I knew kids who enjoyed more freedom and got a lot more things from their parents. I preferred having my mom and dad home when I was there.

My Winter Storm
06-07-2008, 04:20 AM
Gotta get youself a stable man first babe, get hitched and all that. Otherwise you'll be setting them up disadvantaged.

Me? A MAN? Are you kidding? I'm on a one woman baby crusade. It's gonna involve a sperm bank and a turkey baster...:lol::laugh2:

glockmail
06-07-2008, 07:48 AM
Me? A MAN? Are you kidding? I'm on a one woman baby crusade. It's gonna involve a sperm bank and a turkey baster...:lol::laugh2: Gee- planning for single parenthood. Dump them in day care while you work a job, pick them up before the place closes and hit the drive-through on the way home, then plop them in front of the TV so you can have your dates with Mr. Laundry and Mr. Latebills. I'm sure your kids will grow up normal and happy.