PDA

View Full Version : Ministry

retiredman
06-03-2008, 10:06 PM
I just signed a contract this evening to be the next interim minister at my Congregational Church. I will be announced to the congregation this Sunday, June 8th, exactly 50 years to the day from when I received my now tattered and dogeared Bible on youth Sunday in Moline, Illinois.

Mr. P
06-03-2008, 10:31 PM
I just signed a contract this evening to be the next interim minister at my Congregational Church. I will be announced to the congregation this Sunday, June 8th, exactly 50 years to the day from when I received my now tattered and dogeared Bible on youth Sunday in Moline, Illinois.

May God guide you.

dread
06-03-2008, 11:05 PM
God already does guide him...He just doesnt listen..

retiredman
06-03-2008, 11:06 PM
May God guide you.

Thank you!

Yurt
06-03-2008, 11:36 PM
may god be with the people of your church

are you going to invite them to witness about jesus on this site? are you going to be honest with them about your ministry here?

actsnoblemartin
06-03-2008, 11:37 PM
congratulations, and god bless you sir

:salute:

Pale Rider
06-04-2008, 01:02 AM

... and I'm actually log onto the board from the international space station.

ranger
06-04-2008, 09:27 AM
may god be with the people of your church

are you going to invite them to witness about jesus on this site? are you going to be honest with them about your ministry here?

I can't believe you used MFM and honest in the same sentence. Talk about two things that are total opposites.......

Nukeman
06-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Good for you and congratulations. I know some here take exception but I do wish you the best and hope you can recieve and give the guidance needed...

PostmodernProphet
06-04-2008, 09:30 AM
May God guide you.
even better, may you guide them.......

Hagbard Celine
06-04-2008, 10:32 AM
I'll never understand churches. How can you ever get close to people you only see once or twice a week?

06-04-2008, 10:41 AM
I think a real question that should be asked is what is your motivation for preaching?

crin63
06-04-2008, 10:49 AM
I'll never understand churches. How can you ever get close to people you only see once or twice a week?

Its easy for us at my church we gather together 4 times a week from 2-6 hours at time. About 95% of the members are there at each of those gatherings. We email and talk to each other between times and see each other around town.

Hagbard Celine
06-04-2008, 11:26 AM
Its easy for us at my church we gather together 4 times a week from 2-6 hours at time. About 95% of the members are there at each of those gatherings. We email and talk to each other between times and see each other around town.

Oh, okay. How are the kids doing now that the courts have let them back into your community? Haha :dance:

crin63
06-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Oh, okay. How are the kids doing now that the courts have let them back into your community? Haha :dance:

Actually my church is in Los Angeles.

Your hatred of Christians is obvious but thats ok, when insults are your only weapon it just shows your position is very weak.

retiredman
06-04-2008, 12:14 PM
I think a real question that should be asked is what is your motivation for preaching?

I have always loved to preach and have done so occasionally for decades. I think my motivation for this job has less to do with my desire to "preach" per se, and more to do with my desire to save my church from the downward spiral of defections and ennui experienced during our last settled pastor by working to rebuild our membership and helping to create a consensus around a singular mission.

Hagbard Celine
06-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Actually my church is in Los Angeles.

Your hatred of Christians is obvious but thats ok, when insults are your only weapon it just shows your position is very weak.

Don't take yourself so seriously Nancy.

MtnBiker
06-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Don't take yourself so seriously Nancy.

Perhaps having faith and going to church is serious for Crin63.

How about this, you don't be such a smarmy prick.

retiredman
06-04-2008, 12:30 PM
Good for you and congratulations. I know some here take exception but I do wish you the best and hope you can recieve and give the guidance needed...

thank you

Abbey Marie
06-04-2008, 12:31 PM
I have always loved to preach and have done so occasionally for decades. I think my motivation for this job has less to do with my desire to "preach" per se, and more to do with my desire to save my church from the downward spiral of defections and ennui experienced during our last settled pastor by working to rebuild our membership and helping to create a consensus around a singular mission.

Big responsibility, mfm. What is your singular mission?

Hagbard Celine
06-04-2008, 12:35 PM

How about this, you don't take yourself so seriously NANCY.

06-04-2008, 12:35 PM

and what mission is that?

06-04-2008, 12:36 PM

not sure he can do much about that. After all, you are what you eat...

Hagbard Celine
06-04-2008, 12:37 PM
not sure he can do much about that. After all, you are what you eat...
Boo hoo! My name is Avatar and I can't do anything but make gay jokes! Boo hoo! I think I'll legally change my name to "Nancy!" Boo hoo! :poke: Haha.

"I'm a Christian and I go to church and then I use that fact to take myself way too seriously!" Boo hoo!

06-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Boo hoo! My name is Avatar and I can't do anything but make gay jokes! Boo hoo! I think I'll legally change my name to "Nancy!" Boo hoo! :poke: Haha.

"I'm a Christian and I go to church and then I use that fact to take myself way too seriously!" Boo hoo!

who was joking?

MtnBiker
06-04-2008, 12:45 PM
How about this, you don't take yourself so seriously NANCY.

I will be as serious as I want.

Hagbard Celine
06-04-2008, 12:47 PM
who was joking?

So now you're calling me a fag for making a joke? How very Christian of you :rolleyes: haha You're just mad that you didn't think of it first.

06-04-2008, 12:49 PM
So now you're calling me a fag for making a joke? How very Christian of you :rolleyes: haha You're just mad that you didn't think of it first.

Think of what? Being a complete @$$hole? Yeah Im so mad for that never having crossed my mind.

Get over yourself.

retiredman
06-04-2008, 12:49 PM
and what mission is that?

good question. It is my belief that we need to coalesce around ONE until our membership and pledges rise. Right now we are involved in several and that lack of focus dissipates our already low energy level. I will be suggesting that we focus on feeding the hungry given the fact that we have a large kitchen and a parish hall that can seat many... but the decision certainly belongs to the congregation.

06-04-2008, 12:51 PM
good question. It is my belief that we need to coalesce around ONE until our membership and pledges rise. Right now we are involved in several and that lack of focus dissipates our already low energy level. I will be suggesting that we focus on feeding the hungry given the fact that we have a large kitchen and a parish hall that can seat many... but the decision certainly belongs to the congregation.

I'm not trying to be critical, just trying to understand here. So does being a preacher mean you aren't the leader? You need to rely on the congregation? I am just alittle confused at that since I've never seen a church like that.

Monkeybone
06-04-2008, 12:52 PM
how big is your church MFM?

retiredman
06-04-2008, 12:55 PM
how big is your church MFM?

less than 200 covenant members...down from 350 just over four years ago.

retiredman
06-04-2008, 01:01 PM
I'm not trying to be critical, just trying to understand here. So does being a preacher mean you aren't the leader? You need to rely on the congregation? I am just alittle confused at that since I've never seen a church like that.

congregational churches have congregations make those decisions. Basically, their preachers are called to lead them in a direction that the congregation determines, and the church and pastor agree upon before accepting the call. My leadership has got to be very collegial and consultative in nature.

Monkeybone
06-04-2008, 01:07 PM
less than 200 covenant members...down from 350 just over four years ago.were they alot of young people that left in that number?

congregational churches have congregations make those decisions. Basically, their preachers are called to lead them in a direction that the congregation determines, and the church and pastor agree upon before accepting the call. My leadership has got to be very collegial and consultative in nature.
i remember when i went to a congregational church before the non-demoninational one i go to now. and it was basically, if those old ppl incharge didn't like one thing, even if the guy was a great preacher and wonderful teacher, you would have a new pastor within a month.

not that cool.

crin63
06-04-2008, 01:25 PM

I'm not familiar with modern congregational churches and I'm not trying to pick a fight I'm just curious about a couple things.

Do you guys use The Bible?

Will you preach sermons like Jonathan Edwards did, "Sinners in the hands of an angry God"?

retiredman
06-04-2008, 03:19 PM
I'm not familiar with modern congregational churches and I'm not trying to pick a fight I'm just curious about a couple things.

Will you preach sermons like Jonathan Edwards did, "Sinners in the hands of an angry God"?

Yes. We use the Bible. Two readings in every service and I always try to base my sermon around that Sunday's gospel reading.

Even though Jonathan Edwards is one of the founders of the congregational tradition, we have move a bit beyond his theology and no longer think, as he expressed in that sermon, that "the road to hell is paved with the skulls of unbaptized children".

retiredman
06-04-2008, 03:50 PM
were they alot of young people that left in that number?

i remember when i went to a congregational church before the non-demoninational one i go to now. and it was basically, if those old ppl incharge didn't like one thing, even if the guy was a great preacher and wonderful teacher, you would have a new pastor within a month.

not that cool.

there were a lot of all age groups... including many elderly who have either passed away or who are now in nursing facilities in areas closer to their children and remote from us.

and congregational churches that are affiliated with the UCC (which is the vast majority of them) use a rather time consuming process to call settled ministers. We certainly could not ever replace pastors on a whim. Our former minister retired unexpectedly in January and only now, nearly five months later, am I being called as the INTERIM. Our search committee is in the very beginning stages of developing OUR church profile which is required by the UCC before they ever announce to the clergy that our position is even open. Then and only then can they begin to examine pastoral profiles from interested ministers and begin to weed down applicants. I will be the interim during that process and it will take 1.5-2 years to complete.

Pale Rider
06-04-2008, 04:50 PM

No... he'll preach about him fucking your mother and watching his cum run down her chin... you know... the same way he talks to people here... the usual kind of things you'd expect to hear from any preacher.

This charlatan is no more a preacher than Charles Mason is. You people are fooled far too easily.

jimnyc
06-04-2008, 07:19 PM
No... he'll preach about him fucking your mother and watching his cum run down her chin.

I was not kidding about the attacks and ruining of threads.

crin63
06-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Even though Jonathan Edwards is one of the founders of the congregational tradition, we have move a bit beyond his theology and no longer think, as he expressed in that sermon, that "the road to hell is paved with the skulls of unbaptized children".

Thank you for misquoting from that sermon. It gave me another opportunity to read it. You might try reading it sometime, it is a tremendous sermon that was mightily used of God.

retiredman
06-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Thank you for misquoting from that sermon. It gave me another opportunity to read it. You might try reading it sometime, it is a tremendous sermon that was mightily used of God.

I have read it several times...the first time in high school american lit class 40 years ago.

and the actual quote is:

"And you children that are unconverted, don’t you know that you are going down
to hell, to bear the dreadful wrath of that God that is now angry with you every day, and
every night?"

5stringJeff
06-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Congratulations, MFM.

crin63
06-07-2008, 04:25 PM
the actual quote is:

"And you children that are unconverted, don’t you know that you are going down
to hell, to bear the dreadful wrath of that God that is now angry with you every day, and
every night?"

Thank you for clearing up the actual quote. Sorry for just getting back to it.

By what you said,
we have move a bit beyond his theology and no longer think, as he expressed in that sermon you seem to have a problem with the sermon.

Can you please elaborate? Are you implying that children are not in need of salvation?

gabosaurus
06-07-2008, 06:03 PM
Ministers are not only available once or twice a week. They are there anytime you need them.
When I was in the hospital, my pastor came to see me every afternoon. He would talk with me, then we would say a prayer.
Everyone in our congregation had the same privilege. He would tell us that "God does not work office hours. God is on call 24 hours a day, seven days a week."

That is what you get into when you become a minister. You give your life over to God, in the form of your parishioners. Our pastor's wife told me that he gets calls at all hours of the day. And he responds to all of them.

God bless anyone who devotes to their life to the ministry. It is one of the most difficult jobs that I can imagine.

retiredman
06-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Thank you for clearing up the actual quote. Sorry for just getting back to it.

By what you said, you seem to have a problem with the sermon.

Can you please elaborate? Are you implying that children are not in need of salvation?

no such implication.

retiredman
06-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Congratulations, MFM.

Thanks Jeff!

Sitarro
06-07-2008, 08:27 PM

How much of a cut do you get on the take from the plate? I've noticed most big time "preachers" wear really, really expensive suits..... except for that dildo Wright and his silly costumes, they obviously are bringing in a bunch and get a large portion of the take..... you?. Are you now able to claim tax free? Do you use that "preacher" accent? Do you have your picture plastered all over ads and billboards? How about a tax free restaurant, that's big at a lot of "churches". How about a book and the subsequent book tour?

retiredman
06-07-2008, 08:36 PM
How much of a cut do you get on the take from the plate? I've noticed most big time "preachers" wear really, really expensive suits..... except for that dildo Wright and his silly costumes, they obviously are bringing in a bunch and get a large portion of the take..... you?. Are you now able to claim tax free? Do you use that "preacher" accent? Do you have your picture plastered all over ads and billboards? How about a tax free restaurant, that's big at a lot of "churches". How about a book and the subsequent book tour?

none.
my salary is taxable.
no. I speak in a normal tone of voice and don't really have an accent, per se.
no. no billboards.
we have a parish house and have free public suppers periodically.
no plans for any book.

Sitarro
06-07-2008, 08:54 PM
none.
my salary is taxable.
no. I speak in a normal tone of voice and don't really have an accent, per se.
no. no billboards.
we have a parish house and have free public suppers periodically.
no plans for any book.

Sounds like you need a different manager, preachers are getting rich across the country. Hell, Wright is getting a 1.6 million dollar house in a gated white neighborhood with 10 mill in the bank........ you might want to give him a call.

crin63
06-07-2008, 09:21 PM
no such implication.

Thanks,
If you don't wish to elaborate thats cool.

5stringJeff
06-08-2008, 04:51 PM

Most preachers don't get paid commission on tithes, they get a salary. And very few preachers get paid opulently like you're describing - typically only the "health and wealth" preachers.