PDA

View Full Version : Hillary, Obama's Supreme Court Pick?

crin63
06-04-2008, 02:24 PM
I heard an unsubstantiated rumor a few weeks back that Hillary was going to stay in the race until Obama guarantees her that she will be his supreme court nominee.

Has anyone heard anything along those lines?

I cant think to many scarier things than Obama as president and Hillary on the supreme court (for life). Thats the stuff nightmares are made of.

theHawk
06-04-2008, 02:32 PM
This country would go into civil war if he made a nomination like that. It would never happen.

mundame
06-04-2008, 02:42 PM
I heard an unsubstantiated rumor a few weeks back that Hillary was going to stay in the race until Obama guarantees her that she will be his supreme court nominee.

Has anyone heard anything along those lines?

Yes, it's being discussed by TV analysts, not that she is demanding it but that he may indeed give it to her (for a trade for her support, etc.).

I can't agree it's a problem; it would be a good solution and they need another woman on the Court anyway. There are sure to be three places to fill very, very soon after the election, though they'd better wait till Jan. 20 or Bush will fill them.

crin63
06-04-2008, 02:56 PM
I can't agree it's a problem; it would be a good solution and they need another woman on the Court anyway.

Need a woman, not necessarily, but it would be ok so long as she is a strict constructionist and not another Liberal activist judge trying to legislate policy from the bench.

Hagbard Celine
06-04-2008, 03:01 PM
It's not likely. She'd be in her 60s by the time she actually made it to the court and most presidents would want someone younger so that their legacy would live-on longer.
I think it'd be more likely that she'd be made a cabinet member than anything else really.

06-04-2008, 03:12 PM
if thats what she wants id tell her sure if she concedes and the second i get into office ill appoint whomever i want.

theHawk
06-04-2008, 03:55 PM
She is completely unqualified for it. Having a law degree doesn't make one qualified for the SCOTUS. Not to mention she is a partisan hack and a politician.

retiredman
06-04-2008, 03:57 PM
This country would go into civil war if he made a nomination like that. It would never happen.

civil war? hardly. I think she is every bit as qualified to be a supreme court justice as Clarence Thomas was.

theHawk
06-04-2008, 04:06 PM
civil war? hardly. I think she is every bit as qualified to be a supreme court justice as Clarence Thomas was.

Of course you'd think that, you're a partisan hack. Thomas was never a politican for a political party. How would you feel if Bush nominated a Republican senator or congressman?

Clarence Thomas turned out to be one of the best judges we have on the SCOTUS.

retiredman
06-04-2008, 04:34 PM
Of course you'd think that, you're a partisan hack. Thomas was never a politican for a political party. How would you feel if Bush nominated a Republican senator or congressman?

Clarence Thomas turned out to be one of the best judges we have on the SCOTUS.

are you suggesting that politicians have not often served on the supreme court since its very inception?

PostmodernProphet
06-04-2008, 08:22 PM
There are sure to be three places to fill very, very soon after the election

only if Obama wins....otherwise they will hold on till they die.....

mundame
06-05-2008, 09:22 AM
only if Obama wins....otherwise they will hold on till they die.....

Same thing, maybe ------- I'm amazed how long they have held on. Stevens is 87 and Ginsberg is 76! Surely there has to be a limit how many Republican administrations this Court can survive.

theHawk
06-05-2008, 09:30 AM
are you suggesting that politicians have not often served on the supreme court since its very inception?

I am saying career politicians should not be serving on the SCOTUS. We need non-partisan constitutionalists.

crin63
06-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Same thing, maybe ------- I'm amazed how long they have held on. Stevens is 87 and Ginsberg is 76! Surely there has to be a limit how many Republican administrations this Court can survive.

I have to give President Bush credit for at least what he has done with the Supreme Court. He has at least appointed judges who will only interpret law instead of legislate from the bench. I know that scares Liberals because The Constitution as intended by our Founding Fathers destroys liberalism.

Then you cant tell me that I cant have guns. Babies would have the right to LIFE, liberty and the pursuit of happiness instead of being torn apart and sucked into a sink by a vacuum or better yet burned alive with a saline solution, then torn apart and sucked into a sink. That my neighbor can smoke anywhere he darn well pleases. I'm an ex-smoker and I hate smoke but who are you Libs to legislate when and where someone smokes. That should be up to the individual property owner. I'll leave it at that for now.

PostmodernProphet
06-05-2008, 10:50 AM

we should all probably vote Obama just out of kindness to them.....

retiredman
06-05-2008, 12:51 PM
I am saying career politicians should not be serving on the SCOTUS. We need non-partisan constitutionalists.

thanks for sharing your opinion. There is, however, no constitutional requirement for SCOTUS justices. There have been some who did not even have law degrees!

glockmail
06-05-2008, 12:54 PM
It will never happen because Hillary would never stand to be grilled in from of the Senate. Plus that would put her out of contention for 2012, which is her actual goal.

PostmodernProphet
06-05-2008, 02:03 PM
somebody might call her supervisor in the Watergate investigation to testify....

http://foro.univision.com/univision/board/message?board.id=cubanosenmiami&message.id=45749

Jerry Zeifman, a lifelong Democrat, supervised the work of 27-year-old Hillary Rodham on the committee. Hillary got a job working on the investigation at the behest of her former law professor, Burke Marshall, who was also Sen. Ted Kennedy’s chief counsel in the Chappaquiddick affair. When the investigation was over, Zeifman fired Hillary from the committee staff and refused to give her a letter of recommendation – one of only three people who earned that dubious distinction in Zeifman’s 17-year career.

Why?

“Because she was a liar,” Zeifman said in an interview last week. “She was an unethical, dishonest lawyer. She conspired to violate the Constitution, the rules of the House, the rules of the committee and the rules of confidentiality.”