V-E Day

V-J Day

John Kennedy’s assassination

Richard Nixon’s resignation

The Space Shuttle Challenger

September 11th, 2001

The fall of Baghdad

Hurricane Katrina

Vividly frozen in time, they are milestones in our personal lives and our shared history. We are instantly transported to another place and time at their mention. Horror, fear, joy, ecstasy, relief, disbelief, shock; we are inundated by the emotions of the moment. Where we were at, who we were with, what we were doing sweeps us under as the floodgates of our subconscious release a torrent of memories.

Having watched Richard Nixon give his signature farewell for the last time as President bordering Marine One on the White House lawn, my grandfather and I went out for lunch at Burger Chef. Sitting in a booth eating my plain cheeseburger and fries, a radio announcer intoned resonantly that Gerald Ford had just taken the Oath of Office as the 38th President of the United States. My grandfather sighed ever so slightly and softly said, “It’s over.”

Though only seven at the time and unable to grasp the deep significance of it the moment is as vivid today as it was thirty-four years ago.

Basking in the spotlight’s caress, Hillary Clinton stood proudly Tuesday night at the end of the Democratic presidential primary season. For those dwindling gray angels born before women were granted the franchise, hers is a journey their mothers could only dream of.

In the span of their lives women have joined their fathers, husbands and sons not only in choosing their leaders; they have stepped into the ranks of leadership themselves. Once referred to as “the Leader of the Free World”, the Presidency of the United States of America is now an office a woman can run and legitimately contend for.

Though failing to realize her goal, Senator Clinton has won a victory that will be memorialized in the chronicles of our history and held in the hearts of women across America nonetheless.

Against all odds, with the audacity of hope having paved the way for its success, Barack Obama now stands as the Democratic Party’s presumptive presidential nominee.

Like Senator Clinton, he is the embodiment of the dreams of generations. Standing on the shoulders of legends, he has inspired millions to join him in his crusade. Buoyed by their tireless efforts, the pinnacle of American politics now lies within his grasp.

Having lost the man that showed them the way to the Promised Land, black Americans now look to Obama to pick up his staff and lead them into the fertile valley were milk and honey flows like water. Winning the nomination on the content of his character in spite of the color of his skin, he is the manifestation of Martin Luther King, Junior’s dream.

Beset by controversy as racism reared its ugly head among his supporters as well as his opponents, he appealed to America’s better angels time and time again. Daring them to prove him wrong, his faith in the American people was resolute even as friend and foe alike scoffed at the idea that a young black man with an exotic African surname would ever be a contender, much less a major party nominee for the highest office in the land. And yet, here we stand.

Regardless of their politics and futures, Senators Clinton and Obama have sealed their place in the centuries old story that is America. One in defeat, the other in victory; they have forever changed the narrative of that story.

Their campaigns have been a mirror that reflected both the noblest of our aspirations and the basest elements of our character. We know both American society as a whole and ourselves better as a result of their efforts. Having proved their mettle enduring the snakes and arrows of this historic and grueling campaign, they have my respect.

Though the focus of our attention today, they are tomorrow’s legends. And like legends, only time will tell of the glory or tragedy of their fates.

Somewhere in America tonight a daughter of the first generation of American women to vote may well be the grandmother of the first female American president.

And somewhere last night, a young black boy sat watching Barack Obama on television with his grandfather. Not fully understanding the significance of the moment, he asked if one day he could grow up to be president. Years from now he’ll look back and remember that sighing ever so slightly, his grandfather said with a smile, “Yes, you can.”

This is not history in the making; this is history we are living.

Only in America, faithful leaders. May God bless her; only in America.

stephanie
06-05-2008, 12:32 AM
Great writing..

No matter some of us might not like the candidates, you have to admit, this election will probably go down in history..

A little chuckle just went through me..just think, Hillary Clinton will forever be memorized in the History books, because she ran for President...:coffee:

PostmodernProphet
06-05-2008, 06:31 AM
Great writing..

No matter some of us might not like the candidates, you have to admit, this election will probably go down in history..

A little chuckle just went through me..just think, Hillary Clinton will forever be memorized in the History books, because she ran for President...:coffee:

it will probably piss her off forever that she will only be noted as the second female VP candidate though.....

PostmodernProphet
06-05-2008, 06:34 AM
Against all odds, with the audacity of hope having paved the way for its success, Barack Obama now stands as the Democratic Party’s presumptive presidential nominee.

for the most part I enjoyed your post, but I am curious.....

is it really against all odds that Obama was nominated?....from the moment he finished his speech at the last convention Democrats have been saying they were going to make him a president some day.....the only thing that stood in his way was that other Democratic dream.....that "against all odds" Hillary would have been nominated.....

Monkeybone
06-05-2008, 07:59 AM
it's becasue he deserves it PM...haven't you been paying attention?