PDA

View Full Version : Life without parole

gabosaurus
06-05-2008, 04:41 PM
After reading of the restrictions placed on maximum security prisoners that are judged as "a danger to the general population," it seems like a punishment worth than death. Which is why I prefer it over the death penalty.

Prisoners are kept in solitary confinement for 23 hours each day. They are allowed one hour of "exercise time," under armed guard, with no contact with the general population.
Their cells have no TV or radio. The prisoners are allowed only approved reading material.
They can have approved visitors for one hour, one Sunday each month. Not a guarantee, since their assigned prison may not be in the same area as they were convicted.

I don't know about you, but sitting alone and in virtual silence, every day for the rest of my life would be worse than death to me.

Hagbard Celine
06-05-2008, 04:47 PM
It's the best punishment there is. Most of those guys lose their minds eventually. I doubt it even takes very long. This kind of punishment also takes the moral burden of ending life away from the state and vicariously, the people. That's why I say just throw them away for life and let them suffer in silence. Let the world forget about them--especially the terrorist pigs who carried-out 911.

actsnoblemartin
06-05-2008, 04:50 PM
I agree with what you said, and find the death penatly to be more about revenge rather then justice.

There is nothing just about the death penalty, you cant bring back the dead.

and just killing the guy, is going into god's territory/job

After reading of the restrictions placed on maximum security prisoners that are judged as "a danger to the general population," it seems like a punishment worth than death. Which is why I prefer it over the death penalty.

Prisoners are kept in solitary confinement for 23 hours each day. They are allowed one hour of "exercise time," under armed guard, with no contact with the general population.
Their cells have no TV or radio. The prisoners are allowed only approved reading material.
They can have approved visitors for one hour, one Sunday each month. Not a guarantee, since their assigned prison may not be in the same area as they were convicted.

I don't know about you, but sitting alone and in virtual silence, every day for the rest of my life would be worse than death to me.

06-05-2008, 04:55 PM
Just let them die in peace. Yeah they've done horrible things. I get it. But why do you need to spend all this money giving them a punishment worse than death?

gabosaurus
06-05-2008, 04:59 PM
The death penalty costs as much or more than life in prison. If you consider all the appeals and such involved.
The prison system is already there. Might as well use it.

Those who advocate the death penalty are usually the bloodthirsty ones who just enjoy the thought of people getting killed. Usually those who favor endless wars.

Silver
06-05-2008, 10:13 PM
The death penalty costs as much or more than life in prison. If you consider all the appeals and such involved.

Those who advocate the death penalty are usually the bloodthirsty ones who just enjoy the thought of people getting killed. Usually those who favor endless wars.

The death penalty costs more is pure and total bullshit...because we, as a nation, refuse to enforce the death penalty in a swift and sure manner....

Why torture these people with inhumane treatment....?
You're right about appeals....
If the DP is rendered....appeal in 30 days....up or down...its over...

No muss or fuss....DNA evidence is 100%....you're GONE....
22 cal. in the back of the head....about $.50 per.....or
45 cal. .....make it a buck, what the hell....:fu:

And your last statement is too foolish to even deserve a reply....

manu1959
06-05-2008, 10:17 PM

i would bet those they killed would trade places......

Silver
06-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Thats more profound than you think dude.....kudos...:clap:

manu1959
06-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Thats more profound than you think dude.....kudos...:clap:

yes it is quite the circular concept .... they would be alive but serving life in prison for killing the preson that killed them ....

gabosaurus
06-05-2008, 10:53 PM
It the bloodthirsty manly thing to say.
Crimes deserve adequate punishment. Killing someone is the easy way out. And the vindictive way out.
If you really want to punish someone, stick them in a hole for the rest of their lives and give them nothing to think about except why they are there.
Then again, you don't get to see someone killed, so it is not acceptable.

manu1959
06-05-2008, 10:55 PM
Crimes deserve adequate punishment. Killing someone is the easy way out. And the vindictive way out.
If you really want to punish someone, stick them in a hole for the rest of their lives and give them nothing to think about except why they are there.

i believe those that take all the rights from someone should have all their rights taken as well.....

oh yea....i have seen someone killed.....

gabosaurus
06-05-2008, 11:06 PM
I have not seen someone killed, but I have known a few who have been murdered.
I don't know, but I wanted them to suffer. For a long time.
Like I said before, killing them is the easy way out.
Sorry if we have a difference of opinion on this.

manu1959
06-05-2008, 11:11 PM
I have not seen someone killed, but I have known a few who have been murdered.
I don't know, but I wanted them to suffer. For a long time.
Like I said before, killing them is the easy way out.
Sorry if we have a difference of opinion on this.

i don't believe they should be allowed to enjoy the right to breath eat read or suffer....i would rather suffer and be alive than be dead.....i belive that what they chose to take from others should be taken from them....

Mr. P
06-05-2008, 11:50 PM

It's the best punishment there is. Most of those guys lose their minds eventually. I doubt it even takes very long. This kind of punishment also takes the moral burden of ending life away from the state and vicariously, the people. That's why I say just throw them away for life and let them suffer in silence. Let the world forget about them--especially the terrorist pigs who carried-out 911.

I see we have two liberal torture supporters..cool.

06-06-2008, 12:09 AM

You are the one calling for punishment worse than death. Seems to be that those "bloodthirty" death penalty advocates are a heck of a lot more merciful than you.

BTW It wouldn't really be difficult to streamline the appeals process.

06-06-2008, 12:15 AM

Yes, because everyones advocating that the death penalty be carried out in front of the world rather than in private

Crimes do deserve adequate punishment. Adequate punishment is that which necessary for balance to be restored. Taking a life can only be balanced by 1)bringing the person back to life (That doesnt happen often) 2)forfeiting ones own life.

Torturing someone for the rest of their life isn't justice. It's not adequate punishment. And it's a hell of alot more vindictive than providing true justice.

Gaffer
06-06-2008, 06:27 PM
One of the problems with a life sentence is that it can be commuted or pardoned. There is also the posibility of the killer escaping through his own actions or the actions of someone else or even nature.

While in prison they are a constant threat to the officers that guard them. If allowed in general population they are a threat to other inmates. Death is the only sure way of eliminating the threat of these individuals.

My Winter Storm
06-07-2008, 04:40 AM

Exactly the reason why I am against the death penalty - it's too good for them.

5stringJeff
06-07-2008, 10:44 AM
Saying things like 'the death penatly is too good for them' or 'a whole life spent in solitary is a punishment worse than death' implies that there is no punishment awaiting an unrepentant murderer after death. I don't think that's a valid assumption.

Abbey Marie
06-07-2008, 10:46 AM
Saying things like 'the death penatly is too good for them' or 'a whole life spent in solitary is a punishment worse than death' implies that there is no punishment awaiting an unrepentant murderer after death. I don't think that's a valid assumption.

It also ignores the feelings of the spouses/parents/children of the murder victim. Perhaps only they should be given the vote on this overall issue.

My Winter Storm
06-09-2008, 11:27 PM
It also ignores the feelings of the spouses/parents/children of the murder victim. Perhaps only they should be given the vote on this overall issue.

They are thinking irrationally. They think that if the person who killed their loved one is killed, that would be justice, but it isn't. Killing someone isn't going to bring back the victim, the pain will still be there. Death solves nothing.

PostmodernProphet
06-10-2008, 05:28 AM
Their cells have no TV

obviously SOMEONE insisted on humane treatment......otherwise they would have had a television with access to only the shopping channels.....

Abbey Marie
06-10-2008, 11:03 AM
They are thinking irrationally. They think that if the person who killed their loved one is killed, that would be justice, but it isn't. Killing someone isn't going to bring back the victim, the pain will still be there. Death solves nothing.

Just as easy to believe that they are the ones thinking rationally. If someone murdered your child, you might think differently about it.

I am pretty ambivalent on the death penalty issue, but I can concede that the family of the victim should have more of a say. No one else can experience their level of pain and loss.

gabosaurus
06-10-2008, 11:11 AM
One of the problems with a life sentence is that it can be commuted or pardoned. There is also the posibility of the killer escaping through his own actions or the actions of someone else or even nature.

While in prison they are a constant threat to the officers that guard them. If allowed in general population they are a threat to other inmates. Death is the only sure way of eliminating the threat of these individuals.

Obviously, you didn't read the original thread. Otherwise, you would not have made this absurd post.

darin
06-10-2008, 12:07 PM
One benefit to life-in-prison...sometimes "killers" or "rapists" are exonerated later.

Hagbard Celine
06-10-2008, 12:15 PM

I don't think making assumptions about things no one can know is a valid assumption. :poke: