PDA

View Full Version : Police plan vehicle checkpoints in DC neighborhood

LiberalNation
06-05-2008, 09:54 PM
What bull, you shouldn't need a proper cop approved reason to drive on a public street.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080605/ap_on_re_us/neighborhood_checkpoint;_ylt=AnEUhT9c.mT_IfC.Qxn7_ kxvzwcF

WASHINGTON - Stung by an outbreak of violence, including eight killings last weekend alone, police are taking the unusual step of establishing vehicle checkpoints in a crime-ridden neighborhood in the nation's capital.

Starting Saturday night, officers will check drivers' ID and turn away any who don't have a "legitimate purpose" in the area — a plan that has drawn swift criticism from civil liberties groups.

"The reality is, this is a neighborhood that has been the scene of many violent crimes, and something had to be done," D.C. police spokeswoman Traci Hughes said.

But the initiative has raised the ire of the ACLU, which plans to watch what happens with the checkpoints before deciding on any legal action.

Officers will stop motorists traveling through the main thoroughfare of Trinidad — a neighborhood of mostly tidy two-story brick rowhouses that includes Gallaudet University and is near the National Arboretum.

Police will ask motorists to show proof that they live in the area. If they do not have proof, drivers must explain whether they have a reason to be in the neighborhood, such as a doctor's appointment or a church visit.

Police will only search cars if they observe the presence of guns or drugs, officials said. Anyone who does not cooperate will be arrested.

diuretic
06-06-2008, 04:06 AM
They're "doing something". It doesn't matter that it's pointless, they have to be seen to be "doing something". It's a political imperative.

theHawk
06-06-2008, 08:57 AM
Liberalism rears its ugly head again. I can't believe people are actually surprised that rampant liberal policies have led to this.

Monkeybone
06-06-2008, 11:26 AM
it actually kinda makes sense. it is a place where they have been having problems with violence, be it gang related or drug. then i can see them asking ppl why they are coming there. not that i support it, but i can understand where thye are coming from.

diuretic has it right. with this they can go " See! we are doing something" since they are probably getting yelled at about not stopping the violence.

Kathianne
06-06-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm going with, it's not constitutional:

http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2008_06_01-2008_06_07.shtml#1212701862

5stringJeff
06-06-2008, 01:28 PM
If DC would allow its citizens to be armed, they wouldn't need Gestapo-like checkpoints.

gabosaurus
06-06-2008, 05:14 PM
If DC would allow its citizens to be armed, they wouldn't need Gestapo-like checkpoints.

No, we would just have Old West-style shootouts every night. Charles Bronson would be pleased.

My take is -- if the neighborhood approves of the police presence (or requests it), who are we to complain?
Parts of South Central Los Angeles did the same thing five years ago at the height of a gang war.

Gaffer
06-06-2008, 07:14 PM
No, we would just have Old West-style shootouts every night. Charles Bronson would be pleased.

My take is -- if the neighborhood approves of the police presence (or requests it), who are we to complain?
Parts of South Central Los Angeles did the same thing five years ago at the height of a gang war.

DC has old west style shoot outs every night now. And only the criminals are armed.

It is just for show. The police make their presence known and the shooters move to another location. The mayor and city council will pat themselves on the back and use it for their next election run to show what a good job they did and how much they care for the community. Once the election cycle is over the police will be withdrawn and it will be business as usual.

5stringJeff
06-06-2008, 07:55 PM

Just like there are Wild West shootouts every night in the 48 states that allow citizens to carry firearms. Oh, wait...