PDA

View Full Version : Ban on booing at high school games considered

Abbey Marie
03-05-2007, 12:42 AM
I wonder if an unspoken real reason behind this, is the ever-growing feeling that we musn't let children's egos be bruised.

ABC News
March 4, 2007 —
From brawls on professional basketball courts to out-of-control parents at Little League games, unsportsmanlike behavior can be a problem

Now, some high school sporting officials in Washington state are considering tough new rules — including a ban on booing.

Those who support the ban say that too often, spectators are cruel.

"It's the organized effort to try to intimidate or try to make fun of someone that becomes personal in nature that can escalate then into other concerns that we might have," said Mike Colbrese, executive director of the Washington Interscholastic Activities Association.

Colbrese and his colleagues said they have trouble hiring coaches and referees because of the abuse they take. By banning booing from the stands, they believe they can create a more welcoming environment on the court and field.

Experts agree that behavior at school sports events is not what it used to be.

"Parents are more intense, family members are more intense, siblings are more intense," said Christine Brennan, a USA Today sports columnist and ABC News consultant. "Everything is ratcheted up."

The Interscholastic Association claims it just wants to reinforce good sportsmanship.

"I'm trying to figure out why people think booing is acceptable in the first place," Colbrese said.

The Boo Police?

At the Washington state high school basketball championships Saturday night, the fans were on their best behavior. But some weren't pleased that their right to boo might be taken away.

"The crowd should be able to say what they want to say," said one woman. "They pay their money. They should be able to boo if they want to.

Another fan was skeptical about how officials could police booing.

"What are they going to do, put everybody out of the stadium?" she asked.

Even Brennan can't picture a stadium free of negative commentary from the stands.

"I wouldn't know what to do if I were at a sporting event and no one booed," she said.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/ESPNSports/story?id=2922183&page=1&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

Mr. P
03-05-2007, 12:56 AM
I think people are just getting more and more out of control.

What do we do about this? Adults fighting at kids games, Adults assaulting kids or other Adults, Adults assaulting officials.

Seems to me the problem is adults and its gone way past acceptable and the rules are being set for the adults not the kids.

LiberalNation
03-05-2007, 07:37 AM
This is just plain stupid. I could see not being allowed to boo a guest speaker or something but at a sports game.

CSM
03-05-2007, 07:40 AM
This is just plain stupid. I could see not being allowed to boo a guest speaker or something but at a sports game.

You are catching on....

Dilloduck
03-05-2007, 08:29 AM
I think people are just getting more and more out of control.

What do we do about this? Adults fighting at kids games, Adults assaulting kids or other Adults, Adults assaulting officials.

Seems to me the problem is adults and its gone way past acceptable and the rules are being set for the adults not the kids.

People are just plain ANGRY ! You don't think kids are getting tired of this make believe world that liberal adults are trying to force on them. Forcing people to be PC has repercussions. What's that old saying about you can't legislate morality ????

Nienna
03-05-2007, 09:46 AM
I can see both sides... On the one hand, "booing" is free speech, and if players & coaches can't take a little of that, they need to toughen up. But, on the other hand, "booing" often does not stop at that these days. The vitriol that pours out of some people's mouths can get extremely personal. The expression of rage does not "get it out of people's systems"; it feeds the fire, and more & more often, violence erupts. Banning "booing" is probably an attempt to nip this in the bud.

People are simply not taught self-control these days. When people refuse to govern themselves, the list of rules grows and grows. :(

Dilloduck
03-05-2007, 09:53 AM
I can see both sides... On the one hand, "booing" is free speech, and if players & coaches can't take a little of that, they need to toughen up. But, on the other hand, "booing" often does not stop at that these days. The vitriol that pours out of some people's mouths can get extremely personal. The expression of rage does not "get it out of people's systems"; it feeds the fire, and more & more often, violence erupts. Banning "booing" is probably an attempt to nip this in the bud.

People are simply not taught self-control these days. When people refuse to govern themselves, the list of rules grows and grows. :(

Exactly--and more rules solves nothing. Do you think the anger will stop if booing is prohibited. Supression of speech leads to MORE anger and it's going to blow somewhere, somehow.

5stringJeff
03-05-2007, 10:36 AM
This ban is so gay. :)

Nienna
03-05-2007, 11:59 AM
Exactly--and more rules solves nothing. Do you think the anger will stop if booing is prohibited.
Do you think the anger will stop if booing IS prohibited? People refuse to control themselves. The most man can do is attempt to enforce outside controls in the hope that it will deter SOME of the behavior.

Suppression of speech leads to MORE anger and it's going to blow somewhere, somehow.
That is a psychological fallacy. For decades, the mantras "express yourself" and "let it out" have reigned in psychological circles. Newer studies show that expression of anger can actually INCREASE the anger, and it does not lead to satisfaction or the disappearance of the emotion. Current anger management techniques focus on discovering the root cause of the anger and controlling behavior, not "letting it out."

Nienna
03-05-2007, 12:00 PM
This ban is so gay. :)

Hater.

:)

Dilloduck
03-05-2007, 01:41 PM
Do you think the anger will stop if booing IS prohibited? People refuse to control themselves. The most man can do is attempt to enforce outside controls in the hope that it will deter SOME of the behavior.

That is a psychological fallacy. For decades, the mantras "express yourself" and "let it out" have reigned in psychological circles. Newer studies show that expression of anger can actually INCREASE the anger, and it does not lead to satisfaction or the disappearance of the emotion. Current anger management techniques focus on discovering the root cause of the anger and controlling behavior, not "letting it out."

I'm all for resolving the root causes of anger but what to ya do? Stick em all in sensitivy class and therapy ? Stopping the booing will likely lead to a different form of expression that may not be as innocuous as booing. In general I see a frustrated and angry society and can see a number of reasons for it. Many valid ones.

Nienna
03-05-2007, 01:56 PM
I'm all for resolving the root causes of anger but what to ya do? Stick em all in sensitivy class and therapy ? Stopping the booing will likely lead to a different form of expression that may not be as innocuous as booing. In general I see a frustrated and angry society and can see a number of reasons for it. Many valid ones.

Well, the scope of this prohibition isn't "society." It's the school sports audience. Obviously sensitivity training for all fans is not feasible.

As for prohibiting any expression of disappointment, say when the other team scores or something, I do not see that this is prohibited. I think that's the spin. I think what they are prohibiting is targeted heckling, which, honestly, has no place in sports.

You seem to be stuck in the "express yourself" mode. I say self-control will decrease inappropriate behavior, and enforcement of a ban on heckling might give motivation to those who think verbal abuse is their right. ALLOWING or not checking the expression of rage BEFORE it escalates is what leads to less "innocuous" expressions of anger.

Hobbit
03-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Well, the scope of this prohibition isn't "society." It's the school sports audience. Obviously sensitivity training for all fans is not feasible.

As for prohibiting any expression of disappointment, say when the other team scores or something, I do not see that this is prohibited. I think that's the spin. I think what they are prohibiting is targeted heckling, which, honestly, has no place in sports.

You seem to be stuck in the "express yourself" mode. I say self-control will decrease inappropriate behavior, and enforcement of a ban on heckling might give motivation to those who think verbal abuse is their right. ALLOWING or not checking the expression of rage BEFORE it escalates is what leads to less "innocuous" expressions of anger.

Verbal abuse is your right. It's guaranteed by the first ammendment to the Constitution.

Dilloduck
03-05-2007, 01:58 PM

Are you going to impose self-control ?

Doniston
03-05-2007, 02:04 PM
I wonder if an unspoken real reason behind this, is the ever-growing feeling that we musn't let children's egos be bruised.

ABC News
March 4, 2007 —
From brawls on professional basketball courts to out-of-control parents at Little League games, unsportsmanlike behavior can be a problem

Now, some high school sporting officials in Washington state are considering tough new rules — including a ban on booing.

Those who support the ban say that too often, spectators are cruel.

"It's the organized effort to try to intimidate or try to make fun of someone that becomes personal in nature that can escalate then into other concerns that we might have," said Mike Colbrese, executive director of the Washington Interscholastic Activities Association.

Colbrese and his colleagues said they have trouble hiring coaches and referees because of the abuse they take. By banning booing from the stands, they believe they can create a more welcoming environment on the court and field.

"Parents are more intense, family members are more intense, siblings are more intense," said Christine Brennan, a USA Today sports columnist and ABC News consultant. "Everything is ratcheted up."

The Interscholastic Association claims it just wants to reinforce good sportsmanship.

"I'm trying to figure out why people think booing is acceptable in the first place," Colbrese said.

The Boo Police?

At the Washington state high school basketball championships Saturday night, the fans were on their best behavior. But some weren't pleased that their right to boo might be taken away.

"The crowd should be able to say what they want to say," said one woman. "They pay their money. They should be able to boo if they want to.

Another fan was skeptical about how officials could police booing.

"What are they going to do, put everybody out of the stadium?" she asked.

Even Brennan can't picture a stadium free of negative commentary from the stands.

"I wouldn't know what to do if I were at a sporting event and no one booed," she said.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/ESPNSports/story?id=2922183&page=1&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312 Booing is part of the support mechanism (for the other team) This is a far cry from violence by team members or supporters. That is what should be banned.

Doniston
03-05-2007, 02:09 PM

People are simply not taught self-control these days. When people refuse to govern themselves, the list of rules grows and grows. :( Agreed. there are already laws whick pertain to vile and abusive language. These should be upheld. and that is far different than simple booing.

Nienna
03-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Are you going to impose self-control ?

Yes, dillo. I am going to march to Washington state and personally make sure that every sports fan at every sporting event behaves himself. I'm bringing my hickory switch and my "mad mom stare," so they all better WATCH OUT!

:D

No one can make another use self-control, which is exactly my point. When people refuse to control themselves, others (who do not want to suffer the consequences of allowing the parties of the first part to continue their behavior unchecked) create RULES in attempt to point out the uncontrolled behavior. If the parties of the first part, once made aware that the behavior is undesirable, still refuse to exercise self-control, enforcement becomes necessary for the maintenance of a pleasant atmosphere for the rest of the fans.

If hecklers do not care enough about the feelings of others (either the victims of the heckling or the fellow fans), to use your own question, what is to be done? Just allow them to continue?

I would like to hear a little of the history behind this, and what events led these people to create the "booing ban." I'm sure there were some nasty incidents, and this isn't just an arbitrary rule.

03-05-2007, 02:15 PM
this is ridiculous on so many levels. Grow up people!

Nienna
03-05-2007, 02:16 PM

This sounds a bit more serious than a simple, "Oh NO!" or a random "You stink!"

Dilloduck
03-05-2007, 02:17 PM
Yes, dillo. I am going to march to Washington state and personally make sure that every sports fan at every sporting event behaves himself. I'm bringing my hickory switch and my "mad mom stare," so they all better WATCH OUT!

No one can make another use self-control, which is exactly my point. When people refuse to control themselves, others (who do not want to suffer the consequences of allowing the parties of the first part to continue their behavior unchecked) create RULES in attempt to point out the uncontrolled behavior. If the parties of the first part, once made aware that the behavior is undesirable, still refuse to exercise self-control, enforcement becomes necessary for the maintenance of a pleasant atmosphere for the rest of the fans.

If hecklers do not care enough about the feelings of others (either the victims of the heckling or the fellow fans), to use your own question, what is to be done? Just allow them to continue?

I would like to hear a little of the history behind this, and what events led these people to create the "booing ban." I'm sure there were some nasty incidents, and this isn't just an arbitrary rule.

Here's what the article suggests as the root cause of the booing. Do you really think that "banning the boo" will do anything to make parents, family members or siblings feel less intense ? Will it ratchet everything down?

The ClayTaurus
03-05-2007, 02:19 PM
Player heckling is what home field advantage is all about. Players need to be trained to be mentally tough enough to realize none of it is designed to do anything other than get them off their game.

Nienna
03-05-2007, 02:25 PM
Here's what the article suggests as the root cause of the booing. Do you really think that "banning the boo" will do anything to make parents, family members or siblings feel less intense ? Will it ratchet everything down?

Banning, and ENFORCING the ban, on pronounced heckling will "ratchet things down," yes. If the hecklers aren't there, the issues won't be on the hands of the school administration. If the hecklers aren't caught up in the adrenaline of the moment, and have to hear about the games later, the anger might be greatly decreased. Maybe if the family members are forced to miss a few games, they will get their priorities straight if they want to see their kids play. If they don't, the administration will have done its job in preventing violence and rage at the events. That is the scope of their power.

It seems like you are okay with making fans, refs, and coaches, and players pay for the misbehavior of a few.

Nienna
03-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Player heckling is what home field advantage is all about. Players need to be trained to be mentally tough enough to realize none of it is designed to do anything other than get them off their game.

Depends on the level of heckling.

Dilloduck
03-05-2007, 02:32 PM
Banning, and ENFORCING the ban, on pronounced heckling will "ratchet things down," yes. If the hecklers aren't there, the issues won't be on the hands of the school administration. If the hecklers aren't caught up in the adrenaline of the moment, and have to hear about the games later, the anger might be greatly decreased. Maybe if the family members are forced to miss a few games, they will get their priorities straight if they want to see their kids play. If they don't, the administration will have done its job in preventing violence and rage at the events. That is the scope of their power.

It seems like you are okay with making fans, refs, and coaches, and players pay for the misbehavior of a few.

Fans, refs, coaches and players should be quite able to handle the situation without having creating the "boo police".

Abbey Marie
03-05-2007, 02:33 PM
1. If booing is disallowed, 3/4 of Lincoln Financial Stadium (Eagles home) will end up arrested any given Sunday. :D

2. I can live quite fine with booing. What I can't stand is a bunch of young guys screaming out four letter words and epithets right behind my ear. It is especially offensive when we have our daughter with us. There is no respect for families, women, anyone these days.

5stringJeff
Agreed. there are already laws whick pertain to vile and abusive language. These should be upheld. and that is far different than simple booing.

Agreed. And welcome! :D

Nienna
Fans, refs, coaches and players should be quite able to handle the situation without having creating the "boo police".

Like I said... depends on the level of heckling.

Nienna
03-05-2007, 02:35 PM
1. If booing is disallowed, 3/4 of Lincoln Financial Stadium (Eagles home) will end up arrested any given Sunday. :D

2. I can live quite fine with booing. What I can't stand is a bunch of young guys screaming out four letter words and epithets right behind my ear. It is especially offensive when we have our daughter with us. There is no respect for families, women, anyone these days.

Which is my take on the rule. It is opposing this constant stream of profanity & abuse. They can't possibly enforce a ban on ALL negative comments or expressions. I would like to see the actual written rule.

Nienna
03-05-2007, 02:42 PM
Verbal abuse is your right. It's guaranteed by the first amendment to the Constitution.

Okay then, it is the right of the sports association to prohibit behavior that harms participants in the events.

Verbal abuse is not a God-given right.

Hobbit
03-05-2007, 02:55 PM
Okay then, it is the right of the sports association to prohibit behavior that harms participants in the events.

Verbal abuse is not a God-given right.

According to the founding fathers, it is, and I'm not buying this 'insults harm our children' bullcrap. Grow a spine.

Nienna
03-05-2007, 03:02 PM
According to the founding fathers, it is, and I'm not buying this 'insults harm our children' bullcrap. Grow a spine.

Have you seen some of these parents? I'm not talking about insults; I am talking about RAGE. Do you think that should be allowed?

The ClayTaurus
03-05-2007, 03:07 PM
What I can't stand is a bunch of young guys screaming out four letter words and epithets right behind my ear. It is especially offensive when we have our daughter with us. There is no respect for families, women, anyone these days.I would agree about vulgarities in front of children. It's unfortunate and in extremely poor taste. That said, it's not that difficult for a person to ask said fan(s) to please watch their language in front of their child. I've seen it happen often. About 3/4's of the time, the unruly fans didn't realize there were children in listening range. The other 1/4 of the time, the fan was drunk and/or by himself. He would undoubtedly become verbally and sometimes physically combative, at which point he was removed and hopefully charges were filed.

As for profanities in front of adults, I'm of the grow a spine club, though personally I would reign in my word choices if another fan politely informed me they were offended.

The ClayTaurus
03-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Have you seen some of these parents? I'm not talking about insults; I am talking about RAGE. Do you think that should be allowed?I was taught at a very very young age to laugh at and pity those parents. I certainly was never hurt by anything their goonish mind could come up with.

Abbey Marie
03-05-2007, 03:20 PM
I would agree about vulgarities in front of children. It's unfortunate and in extremely poor taste. That said, it's not that difficult for a person to ask said fan(s) to please watch their language in front of their child. I've seen it happen often. About 3/4's of the time, the unruly fans didn't realize there were children in listening range. The other 1/4 of the time, the fan was drunk and/or by himself. He would undoubtedly become verbally and sometimes physically combative, at which point he was removed and hopefully charges were filed.

As for profanities in front of adults, I'm of the grow a spine club, though personally I would reign in my word choices if another fan politely informed me they were offended.

I'm glad that you would reign in your language if asked, but why not assume that cursing, etc., is offensive to many people, and just not do it in the first place? You wouldn't speak like that in front of your mother, right? Well, there are many other people's "mothers" at these games, and I contend that they deserve the same basic level of respect that your mom does. :)

As for me speaking up, I don't want to risk getting yet more verbal abuse, or worse, by asking someone already enraged and possibly drunk to please stop. I prefer that the stadium security handle it; but try finding them when you need them.

The ClayTaurus
03-05-2007, 06:58 PM
I'm glad that you would reign in your language if asked, but why not assume that cursing, etc., is offensive to many people, and just not do it in the first place? You wouldn't speak like that in front of your mother, right? Well, there are many other people's "mothers" at these games, and I contend that they deserve the same basic level of respect that your mom does. :)

As for me speaking up, I don't want to risk getting yet more verbal abuse, or worse, by asking someone already enraged and possibly drunk to please stop. I prefer that the stadium security handle it; but try finding them when you need them.It would depend on my surroundings as to whether or not I'd bust out the offensive language. If the Red Hat society was in my section, I'd refrain.

I can understand your feelings on remaining quiet, but if no one says anything then nothing happens or we end up with overreaching "solutions" to the problem. If the guy starts verbally abusing YOU, that's a clear cut case for his ass to get it from security, and if he fails to comply, removed from the stadium.

I just think if people would try and handle things on a small scale, we wouldn't be so cavalier about these wide bans on a behavior.

I guess I should also note that I've seen someone yell at a fan who was being offensive as though they were a misbehaving dog. There's a big difference between asking someone to tone it down and threatening them. Like I said, some people might not realize you are so offended.

Nienna
03-05-2007, 07:03 PM
I was taught at a very very young age to laugh at and pity those parents. I certainly was never hurt by anything their goonish mind could come up with.

Maybe not... but someone could be hurt when they start throwing punches. :(

darin
03-05-2007, 07:05 PM

you're wrong.

Nienna
03-05-2007, 07:09 PM
you're wrong.

manu1959
03-05-2007, 07:13 PM
having coached youth sports from the age of 16......

why do adults feel the need to boo children's sports?

Nienna
03-05-2007, 07:17 PM
having coached youth sports from the age of 16......

why do adults feel the need to boo children's sports?

Yeah! Why DO they?

My husband coaches youth soccer--VOLUNTEERS-- and you should see some of these parents, acting like he owes them a living. :(

manu1959
03-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Yeah! Why DO they?

My husband coaches youth soccer--VOLUNTEERS-- and you should see some of these parents, acting like he owes them a living. :(

i have parents come up to me at games....telling me this and that about thier child....i sub their child out and tell the child your dad or mom has some questions for you...

the other one is when a parent asks me to play their child more...i say....currently they play x minutes....next time you ask me i will cut that in half and every time you ask me after that i will cut that in half

MtnBiker
03-05-2007, 07:58 PM
Rather than banning the booing perhaps they should just ban the game. Because that makes no sense either. While they are at it why not ban highschool?

manu1959
03-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Rather than banning the booing perhaps they should just ban the game. Because that makes no sense either.

they are children.....they should just ban those that do not understand this fact

shattered
03-05-2007, 08:03 PM
BOOOOOO!!!!!

MtnBiker
03-05-2007, 08:04 PM
Banish them to self esteem class. They can do their daily affirmation with Stuart Smalley.

MtnBiker
03-05-2007, 08:05 PM
BOOOOOO!!!!!

Are you trying to scare us, or are you booing the thread? :laugh2:

shattered
03-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Are you trying to scare us, or are you booing the thread? :laugh2:

Yes.

Mr. P
03-05-2007, 08:25 PM
I am just a sportsman-like sorta guy. I’d Boo an umpire if I didn’t think the call was fair, but Boo an opposing team, why? Without the other team there is no game. Booo the other team at a kids game?…geeezzz

Nienna
03-05-2007, 08:30 PM
i have parents come up to me at games....telling me this and that about thier child....i sub their child out and tell the child your dad or mom has some questions for you...

the other one is when a parent asks me to play their child more...i say....currently they play x minutes....next time you ask me i will cut that in half and every time you ask me after that i will cut that in half

My husband was coaching a team a few seasons back... we didn't even have kids on the team, but none of the parents volunteered to coach it, so my husband took an extra team. There was this one guy... EVERY game, I had to sit there and listen to him rant about how my husband didn't know what he was doing, and why didn't he play his kid more, blah blah blah (my husband is by far the most requested coach in the org, so he must be doing SOMETHING right). Anyway, Mr. Mouth decided the following season that he was volunteering to coach his kid. After a couple games, he went up to my husband and apologized. He said he had NO IDEA what was involved in coaching. He has apologized several times. At least he was man enough to eat his crow. :D

manu1959
03-05-2007, 08:38 PM
My husband was coaching a team a few seasons back... we didn't even have kids on the team, but none of the parents volunteered to coach it, so my husband took an extra team. There was this one guy... EVERY game, I had to sit there and listen to him rant about how my husband didn't know what he was doing, and why didn't he play his kid more, blah blah blah (my husband is by far the most requested coach in the org, so he must be doing SOMETHING right). Anyway, Mr. Mouth decided the following season that he was volunteering to coach his kid. After a couple games, he went up to my husband and apologized. He said he had NO IDEA what was involved in coaching. He has apologized several times. At least he was man enough to eat his crow. :D

good story....i let that guy like that on one of my teams coach a friendly....he was always complaing i had the wrong players in the wrong place blah blah blah.....anyway he was down 4 nothing at half and walked out on the kids.....

Nienna
03-05-2007, 08:41 PM
good story....i let that guy like that on one of my teams coach a friendly....he was always complaing i had the wrong players in the wrong place blah blah blah.....anyway he was down 4 nothing at half and walked out on the kids.....

I can't believe he walked out on them! What a wuss! Guess he figured out it wasn't that easy, though.

Maybe it's wrong to feel so much satisfaction about stuff like that, but hey-- I'm human!

manu1959
03-05-2007, 08:44 PM
I can't believe he walked out on them! What a wuss! Guess he figured out it wasn't that easy, though.

Maybe it's wrong to feel so much satisfaction about stuff like that, but hey-- I'm human!

i just feel sorry for parents that don't get it.....

Nienna
03-05-2007, 08:44 PM
i just feel sorry for parents that don't get it.....

I feel sorry for their kids. :(

manu1959
03-05-2007, 09:02 PM
I feel sorry for their kids. :(

their kids know their parents don't get it.....

one time we were in a final at a tournament...my starting left back is injured .... my reserve left back starts....their right wing could not break him down and they picked on him all match....late in the second half this child is still closing this guy down....the whole time his dad is all over him...screaming at him to shut this wing down....finally there is a 1v1 break and my reserve back flys in on this tackle and just crush this kid... he stand up...looks at his dad and says "shut the fuck up" then lofts this ball to our striker how puts away the winning goal....classic

pegwinn
03-05-2007, 09:30 PM
This rule is about as stupid as it gets.

Thin skinned athletes and coaches need to toughen up.

Abusive fans need to be locked up.

And some fans could simply shut up.

I have to admit that the university here (Texas Tech) is really bad when other teams come to town. It can be downright embarrasing.

The ClayTaurus
03-06-2007, 01:13 AM
Maybe not... but someone could be hurt when they start throwing punches. :(People should learn to not throw so many punches. It's neanderthalic.

Nienna
03-06-2007, 08:07 AM
People should learn to not throw so many punches. It's neanderthalic.

Exactly. But what do OTHER people do when they won't?

glockmail
03-06-2007, 08:37 AM
This whole shit stems from the trash talk of the NBA players, followed by the NFL. Its not enough that you beat someone at a GAME, but you have to insult them then, too. The whole thing is just plain stoopid. No wonder why I never watch professional sports.

Dilloduck
03-06-2007, 08:44 AM
Exactly. But what do OTHER people do when they won't?

Duck !:laugh2:

GW in Ohio
03-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Ban booing at sporting events?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Mr. P
03-06-2007, 10:15 AM
This whole shit stems from the trash talk of the NBA players, followed by the NFL. Its not enough that you beat someone at a GAME, but you have to insult them then, too. The whole thing is just plain stoopid. No wonder why I never watch professional sports.

And the tube and video games too.

To compare the amount of violence we see now in society compared to when I was younger (even in my 20s) is shocking.

glockmail
03-06-2007, 10:23 AM
And the tube and video games too.

To compare the amount of violence we see now in society compared to when I was younger (even in my 20s) is shocking.

My great grandmother was a Red Sox fan, my grandmother, and my Dad, and my oldest sis. I remember going to games all the time as a kid. Bruins and Celtics too.

I have never taken my kids to a pro game and will probably never.

Abbey Marie
03-06-2007, 02:56 PM
BOOOOOO!!!!!

Clearly, you are in dire need of sensitivity training. :coffee:

shattered
03-06-2007, 02:59 PM
Clearly, you are in dire need of sensitivity training. :coffee:

Either that, or other people are in dire need of a spine. This shit wasn't a problem when *I* was a kid.

pegwinn
03-06-2007, 11:23 PM
Either that, or other people are in dire need of a spine. This shit wasn't a problem when *I* was a kid.

When I was a kid, overt no-shit unsporting conduct was nipped in the bud. Normally by tossing the offenders out on thier ass.