PDA

View Full Version : My Nephew, Jay

Kathianne
06-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Many of you know and have written mucho encouragements to me about my nephew, Jay, who was diagnosed with a brain tumor a few weeks before his wedding. He's my brother's only son and my godchild.

He graduated summa cum laude from the university with a degree in law enforcement. He was offered a position with the FBI, but wanted to be a 'regular' police officer, like his father. He landed a job about 6 months later, but unbeknownst to any of us, he was already feeling the effects of the tumor, but didn't say anything. He 'resigned' a week out of the academy. He had a good job that he'd been working with while applying for police departments, TRW identity theft profiling. I was with my brother when he found out about the tumor, the day after my dad's funeral. Needless to say, it was shock after shock.

Anyhow, Sunday is a walk for brain tumor research. If anyone has a few sheckles to donate, it would be highly appreciated:

http://stridetosavelives.kintera.org

His team is J's Crew, already in 1st place, but with less that $4k. Here's his letter to friends and family:

As you all are aware, it has been a year packed with both excitement and sadess. Angela and I had our wonderful wedding together where we got to share our love and commit our faith for the rest of our lives, but of course that event did not come along as easily as we hoped it would.

I started to feel symptoms of pain in my right hand that I thought came from nerve damage from a very bad ice fall in about January 2007. Several months later, I started to have trouble walking on my right foot. In August 2007, I finally told Angela and my loved ones that I believed I was losing vision in my right peripheral. That was when I scheduled my first appointment with my doctor and got a CT scan. The next day he immediately called me and told me the life altering news that I had a brain tumor. There was no time to waste, no time to think about the future because I had my surgery on September 6, 2007. Luckily, other than a couple permanent scars and some recoverable speech problems, everything went well and I was able to get out of the hospital quickly enough to make it to my wedding on September 22, 2007.

For my quick recovery from surgery, I must thank my wonderful Neurosurgeons and rehabilitation therapists, but I must also thank the people involved with Neuroresearch. The Chicago Institute of Neurosurgery and Neuroresearch, of CINN, is dedicated to making a difference in the lives of people afflicted with brain tumors. The CINN foundation is involved with neurological research, education and community outreach.

The CINN Foundation is hosting its 4th Annual Stride to Save Lives two-mile walk for brain tumor reseach on Sunday, June 8, 2008. Angela and I have decided to join the Stride to Save Lives and have formed our own team. We want every individual that has to deal with this hardship to have the best research available. To see our website go to http://stridetosavelives.kintera.org and click on Sponsor Participant and type in Jay Doherty.

That is what brings me to my point of writing this letter. We are asking for a donation for the Stride to Save Lives of any amount you can give. Brain tumors affect about 16,000 people a year and last year I was one of those few. If it weren't for the Neurosurgeons and the Neuroresearch, I don't know where I'd be. So, if you can donate, please help others like people helped me.

Thank you for your generous donation and support!

Jay & Angela Doherty

Credit taken at site. Make checks payable to:

The CINN Foundation

gabosaurus
06-06-2008, 05:38 PM
This is a really excellent cause. I have bookmarked this site to mention to my husband. I am sure that we will be donating.

Good luck, Kathianne!!

Kathianne
06-06-2008, 05:42 PM
This is a really excellent cause. I have bookmarked this site to mention to my husband. I am sure that we will be donating.

Good luck, Kathianne!!

Thanks Gabby, this has been a life altering event for both Jay, his bride and the whole family. Luckily TRW has been so wonderful in alloing him to keep his position, though we know they need to assist. He's a great kid, just turned 25 in April.

gabosaurus
06-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Wow, he is only a year older than I am. What a magnificent life he has already led. Such an inspiring story!!

Kathianne
06-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Wow, he is only a year older than I am. What a magnificent life he has already led. Such an inspiring story!!

Thanks for that. I'm tearing up. Before this befell him, he was super involved in raising funds for many causes, from cancer to homelessness. He's very giving, as I hope comes through in his letter.

He's a terrific kid! So is his wife, as you can tell from her 'donations raised.'

Kathianne
06-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Well Gabby, I got to tell you it was a wonderful event. All the 'team members' got white shirts, the 'survivors', lime green. When I heard a '2 mile walk', I was like, 'this will be short,' I figured even with eating I'd be out by 11. Not so, while my nephew can walk fine, he has to be careful, he has no periphrial vision, others were not so lucky and have more serious side effects. It also was a big 'family type' event. Lots of strollers, dogs, old people. It's never taken me so long to walk 2 miles. :laugh2:

They had great catering from some top bar-b-que restaurants in the city. There was a fabulous live salsa band. Around noon Jay came and said he was having everyone back to his house, my brother said, "Who's everyone?" Well in actuality he had tens of frat brothers, co-workers, friends going back to grammar school. My brother said, "You guys go, have fun, we're going to do something in the city."

I think Jay was relieved. He asked Derek, my son to come out with him and Angie, and I know Derek was tempted, some of their frat brothers overlap, but he said, "I think I better stay with the old folks and Jac, (his 18 year old cousin, who would have been stuck with her father, her mother, and me)." They were already planning on getting together next week. I know Jac was grateful to have someone closer in age around.

We were in the parking lot trying to decide whether to do ESPN Zone first or Blues Festival, when the downpour started. ESPN it was. An hour and a half later, the weather had cleared and we walked down to the Blues Festival. I just got home about a half hour ago.

Good times, good times. Truly unimaginable 10 months ago.

gabosaurus
06-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Sounds like you have some great fun, for a good cause.
I know my husband made a contribution. Didn't ask him how much. I let him handle all the financial stuff.

Kathianne
06-09-2008, 07:04 AM
Sounds like you have some great fun, for a good cause.
I know my husband made a contribution. Didn't ask him how much. I let him handle all the financial stuff.

Thank you & Mr. Gabby. ;)

I've done 'walks' before, usually long ones. This was different because of Jay.

Kathianne
06-13-2008, 12:59 PM
I found out today, my brother and sister in law yesterday. The cyst has filled again, (it surrounds the tumor). Right now it's taking up about 1/2 his brain area, Monday they find out what course of action is best. My sil is a nurse, she told me while we were out walking this morning; her fear is that he'll have stroke before they can do something.

Please, pray if you have that inclination.

Abbey Marie
06-13-2008, 01:02 PM
I found out today, my brother and sister in law yesterday. The cyst has filled again, (it surrounds the tumor). Right now it's taking up about 1/2 his brain area, Monday they find out what course of action is best. My sil is a nurse, she told me while we were out walking this morning; her fear is that he'll have stroke before they can do something.

Please, pray if you have that inclination.

Of course, Kath.

Can they put him in an induced coma to avoid a stroke while they wait? I have no idea if that works, but I thought I heard that once in the hospital.

Kathianne
06-13-2008, 01:11 PM
Of course, Kath.

Can they put him in an induced coma to avoid a stroke while they wait? I have no idea if that works, but I thought I heard that once in the hospital.

I don't know Abbey. I just heard her out this morning. I don't think she meant to tell me, it came up because we started talking about moving to FL. I think I've mentioned considering applying for position down there, knowing my brother and sil were planning to. This weekend after the walk for brain tumor research, we were walking at the Blues Festival and my brother said something about waiting until the kids were settled. His youngest daughter, at Marquette over reacted saying that 'they should do whatever they wanted, she would deal with it. I knew he was talking about Jay, but at 18 it's 'all about you', if you know what I mean. ;)

So this morning that conversation came up and I said, 'Well Jay seems to be doing ok and he has Angie, so are you thinking about it again?' That's when the tears started. I think for now all I can do is pray and wait for Monday.

gabosaurus
06-13-2008, 01:39 PM
God has a plan for all of us. At times, it is difficult for us to watch it carried out.
My continued prayers for your nephew.

Kathianne
06-13-2008, 01:42 PM
God has a plan for all of us. At times, it is difficult for us to watch it carried out.
My continued prayers for your nephew.

Thank you. I know you're right, but right now it's just so hard. We just can't quite cope with this happening, actually I think this past weekend we were sort of celebrating treating him like he wouldn't break. It's hard.

I feel so bad too for my brother and sil, they want to 'be there' every minute, but recognize that he's married and are trying not to overstep. I can't imagine.

Kathianne
06-16-2008, 04:57 PM
Jay called me about an hour ago, on his way to Loyola. His mom, my sil picked him up downtown Chicago, as he cannot drive. He called me to thank me for the nearly 3k contributions that came in after the walk. He asked how I knew so many, explained it's how I keep myself sane, news and such. When he said that was so much more than his parents had done, I balked. I reminded him that his folks have been there for him and Angie, every step of the way.

Worse, he said, 'I know.' Aunt Kathy, I think I'm going to die, so will you all be there for Angie? Yes, Jay, we'll be there for her.