PDA

View Full Version : Do Muslims pray too much?

MtnBiker
06-06-2008, 06:12 PM
For Egyptian-born Muslim cleric and television host, Sheikh Yusuf al-Qaradawi, there is a simple answer to Egypt's productivity problem -- pray less, work more.
"Praying is a good thing ... 10 minutes should be enough," Al-Jazeera television personality Qaradawi says in a religious edict, or fatwa, published on his website.

Praying five times a day is one of the five pillars of Islam, along with the well-known requirements of making a pilgrimage to Mecca and of giving alms to the poor.

Two of each day's five sessions -- the dhuhr (noon) prayer and asr (afternoon) prayer -- fall within working hours, bringing work to a standstill at least twice a day in many places.

A prayer generally takes an average of 10 minutes, but it can be extended if a worshipper chooses to recite one of the longer verses of the Koran.

And before the prayers themselves, there is also a mandatory ablution during which worshippers must wash their faces, hands and arms, feet and heads. In large office buildings, the trips to the bathroom can also eat away at valuable work time.

Qaradawi's plea to reconcile faith and productivity may hit some hurdles as it risks upsetting the deeply entrenched custom of "prayer breaks" at work.

Society's increased Islamisation over the past 30 years has already silenced some critics of long prayer sessions.

According to an official study, Egypt's six million government employees are estimated to spend an average of only 27 minutes per day actually working, reflecting a real problem with productivity.

Link (http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080605081855.juhs9sqc&show_article=1)

Only 27 minutes a day working?? How productive can a society be with that little amount of work being done? Isn't it logical to think that this is causing them economic problems?

Noir
06-06-2008, 06:20 PM
It matters not, every nations inhabitants will waste time procrastinating, and it seems that Egypt is doing fine as a country (i have never heard it having problems on the world news) So whatever floats their boat.

And inanswer to the question, no, its personal choice, there can't be 'too much'

actsnoblemartin
06-06-2008, 06:30 PM
yes

Link (http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080605081855.juhs9sqc&show_article=1)

Only 27 minutes a day working?? How productive can a society be with that little amount of work being done? Isn't it logical to think that this is causing them economic problems?

actsnoblemartin
06-06-2008, 06:31 PM
yeah, but they dont work only 27 minutes

It matters not, every nations inhabitants will waste time procrastinating, and it seems that Egypt is doing fine as a country (i have never heard it having problems on the world news) So whatever floats their boat.

gabosaurus
06-06-2008, 06:39 PM
So what you are asking is -- are Muslims too religious?
The article is exaggerated. Muslims pray five times a day. Their life style is built around it. Many Muslim business are open until late at night.
Perhaps you should read about it sometime. The real truth, not the stories.

Hagbard Celine
06-06-2008, 06:52 PM
I spoke to God the other day and he says "yes." He said with Muslims it's always "blah, blah, blah." And he made the pac man gesture with his hand and rolled his eyes when he said it.

My Winter Storm
06-07-2008, 04:38 AM
If they want to pray that often, I have no problem with it, provided it does not interfere with their jobs - as in, no taking a 'prayer' break whenever the time arises to pray. Do it in your lunch break or before you get to work.

PostmodernProphet
06-07-2008, 05:33 AM
if only two of the prayer times fall within working hours then there is a whole lot more than prayer interfering with work to get down to 27 minutes.....

midcan5
06-07-2008, 06:28 AM
if only two of the prayer times fall within working hours then there is a whole lot more than prayer interfering with work to get down to 27 minutes.....

Exactly. Smokers spend more time outside. Not sure the relevance of this thread?

And do Americans work too much? Is it necessary we work constantly, life, this brief moment is all we have, and all we do is waste it acquiring junk.

MtnBiker
06-07-2008, 09:39 AM
So what you are asking is -- are Muslims too religious?
The article is exaggerated. Muslims pray five times a day. Their life style is built around it. Many Muslim business are open until late at night.
Perhaps you should read about it sometime. The real truth, not the stories.

It was a Muslim cleric that made the observation and suggested that praying through out the day is counterproductive. Does that Muslic cleric not know the thruth?

Psychoblues
06-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Prayer is obviously a problem with you, mb. Could you share your negatives or are we to assume the worst? I noticed you did not comment in your original post.

Sitarro
06-08-2008, 11:11 PM

Yes they do and when you consider that they pray to a fake that makes it even worse, what a bunch of rubes.

actsnoblemartin
06-09-2008, 01:28 AM
Pray on your lunch break, or paid breaks, not when your supposed to be working i say

whats wrong with that?

if the muslims ask nicely for a prayer matt fine...

but then jews and christians have the right to ask for stuff too

you either make it fair for all, or for none.

no one gets special treatment, all do :)

Psychoblues
06-09-2008, 02:00 AM
"Fake"? That's interesting coming from you, zero!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes they do and when you consider that they pray to a fake that makes it even worse, what a bunch of rubes.

Just what "fake" religion are you claiming today?

Sitarro
06-09-2008, 02:11 AM

Have another drink psicko. I didn't say anything about a fake religion, they obviously believe in a supreme being that is a rapist of young boys and a murderer and is everything evil, that is what I call a fake GOD.

actsnoblemartin
06-09-2008, 02:12 AM
it comes back to choices, islam might be my cup up tea, but as long as they arent bothering me, and vice versa.

as my mom would say, live and let live :dance:

Psychoblues
06-09-2008, 02:47 AM
See post #12 in this thread. What was that remark about "fake" supposed to represent, zero?

Have another drink psicko. I didn't say anything about a fake religion, they obviously believe in a supreme being that is a rapist of young boys and a murderer and is everything evil, that is what I call a fake GOD.

Obviously, you are very much afraid, zero. There is help for you but you have to seek it out for yourself. Obviously you are very much afraid of me and my informational arguments. Obviously you need help for which I am unqualified to give you. However, from an unqualified standpoint, I think you just need to become an adult, state your case with links and personal viewpoint, accept your prejudices and grow from your experiences. Simple?

It ain't that simple, zero.

actsnoblemartin
06-09-2008, 03:02 AM
im not gonna lie, im not a huge fan of islam, because of some of its verses.

but, im not condemn the entire koran, or all of islams followers. I think its uncalled for, and unfair

besides one of the sweetest human beings on earth is a muslim and my best friend, so im not gonna talk shit or let people talk shit about muslims without speaking up

See post #12 in this thread. What was that remark about "fake" supposed to represent, zero?

Obviously, you are very much afraid, zero. There is help for you but you have to seek it out for yourself. Obviously you are very much afraid of me and my informational arguments. Obviously you need help for which I am unqualified to give you. However, from an unqualified standpoint, I think you just need to become an adult, state your case with links and personal viewpoint, accept your prejudices and grow from your experiences. Simple?

actsnoblemartin
06-09-2008, 03:03 AM
forgive me for jumping in, but i think he said fake god.

whether he meant fake religion or their is a difference between fake god and fake religion, i have no idea

Psychoblues
06-09-2008, 03:10 AM
Why do you need forgiveness, martin?

forgive me for jumping in, but i think he said fake god.

whether he meant fake religion or their is a difference between fake god and fake religion, i have no idea

zero is the actual fake. He knows it, you know it and I know it. Why let his fakeness become intregal to anything?

actsnoblemartin
06-09-2008, 03:33 AM
:)

Why do you need forgiveness, martin?

cause you didnt ask my opinion, or me to jump in the middle of your fight with him.

zero is the actual fake. He knows it, you know it and I know it. Why let his fakeness become intregal to anything?

Psychoblues
06-09-2008, 03:54 AM
:cheers2:
:)

Pepper
06-17-2008, 03:34 AM

What an idiot