PDA

View Full Version : Christina Aguilera loves America

gabosaurus
06-06-2008, 06:48 PM
She commissioned a photo shoot for her new baby with a "patriotic" theme. Too bad Christina and her handlers failed to understand that the flag was never intended as baby swaddling.
I am all for freedom of expression, but this goes too far, even for me.
I am sure that those less liberal than myself will not be pleased, either.

http://i32.tinypic.com/286s94y.jpg

Hagbard Celine
06-06-2008, 06:50 PM
:gives: A piece of cloth can be used for many different things. Among them are: flag, baby swaddling, diaper, t-shirt, toga.

gabosaurus
06-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Perhaps unlike you, I don't regard the U.S. flag as a "piece of cloth."
Yes, I know, that is very un-liberal of me. But it is how I feel personally.

Noir
06-06-2008, 07:11 PM
I'm with Hagbard Celine on this one, in the end symbols are just that; symbols and no more.

I must ask Gabosaurus, do you have anything against American athletes doing a lap of honour draped in the American flag?

actsnoblemartin
06-06-2008, 07:19 PM
a diaper doesnt have meaning, im sure she thinks she is loving america, but this is not the way too show it.

:gives: A piece of cloth can be used for many different things. Among them are: flag, baby swaddling, diaper, t-shirt, toga.

actsnoblemartin
06-06-2008, 07:23 PM
without meaning, what is life worth living

such as meat, it has a symbol a meaning, does it not?

I'm with Hagbard Celine on this one, in the end symbols are just that; symbols and no more.

I must ask Gabosaurus, do you have anything against American athletes doing a lap of honour draped in the American flag?

Noir
06-06-2008, 07:33 PM

i have a meaning in my life, it just doesn't involve placing importance in symbols, and what does meat have to do with symbols?

5stringJeff
06-06-2008, 08:00 PM
I don't see anything wrong with it. But, I understand why people might be upset by it.

actsnoblemartin
06-06-2008, 08:15 PM
i have a meaning in my life, it just doesn't involve placing importance in symbols, and what does meat have to do with symbols?

its a symbol

of animal abuse, atleast to you

AFbombloader
06-06-2008, 09:34 PM
I can see where you are coming from Gabby, but I too don't have a issue with this. Is it proper, not really. Is it degrading to the "symbol" of the flag, no. I have seen many worse photos with the flag in them, ones that made my blood boil. But this flag, wrapped around an innocent child, does not offend me.

AF:salute:

manu1959
06-06-2008, 10:26 PM

that is pretty ironic givien your avatar....

ranger
06-06-2008, 10:47 PM
Wow, the depth of discussion in this thread has brought tears to my eyes....:finger3:

ranger
06-06-2008, 10:48 PM

WTF does this mean? Is this derailing a thread or just some retard trying to wax poetic.

It's America, she can do what she likes (within the limits of the law). Does mean I have to like it.

gabosaurus
06-06-2008, 11:31 PM
What I find to be most offensive is a musician using the flag to promote herself. Not that Aguilera is a great symbol of America.
Merely my opinion, of course.

My Winter Storm
06-07-2008, 04:11 AM
I don't see anything wrong with it, myself. :)

Noir
06-07-2008, 05:08 AM
its a symbol

of animal abuse, atleast to you

Thats not really a symbol, otherwise everyting is a symbol and it symbolizes something in life, i.e. TV is a symbol as the symbolizes the 'potato couch' nation? or the 'information' nation? or the 'feed me full of shiny crap with words like "ultimate fusion" to discribe a manual razor' nation? So i don't consider meat a symbol.

that is pretty ironic givien your avatar....

Well in fairness any Avatar is gonna be a mini symbol no matter what, and i'm not sayin there's anything wrong with symbols, i'm just saying i don't place any importance in them, to use my avatar as an example: It is my school crest, and i use it to identify with others (i also like the motto "Justitiae tenax" -"Justice is Tenacious"-) But i would not care if i knew someone was printing the crest onto their toilet paper, cus at the end of the day its just a bit of colored paper.

I do guess that my uncaring for symbols comes from growing up in Northern Ireland, were symbols mean EVERYTHING, and to see grown men acting like children over symbols.

What I find to be most offensive is a musician using the flag to promote herself.

Well its a risky bussiness, i memo a few years ago Morrissey did a concert and someone threw a Union flag onto the stage, which he wraped himself in, so he was branded as a racist in the media.

Trigg
06-07-2008, 08:53 AM
Perhaps unlike you, I don't regard the U.S. flag as a "piece of cloth."
Yes, I know, that is very un-liberal of me. But it is how I feel personally.

I fine it humerus that you see nothing wrong with gays using the flag raising at Iwo Jima to further their agenda but your offended when someone wraps their newborn in one.

Abbey Marie
06-07-2008, 10:09 AM
I think it depends on the intent behind the use of the flag. In this case, it seems respectful and even affectionate. However, as Jeff said, I can see how people would find it disrespectful given the specific rules about the flag, and given how many have died serving under it.