PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone really qualified?

hjmick
06-06-2008, 10:29 PM
I read a post written by Hagbard in another thread, McCain or Obama? Obama or McCain? and it started me thinking...

Here's the pertinent, thought inspiring portion of his post:

...I also agree that Obama isn't really qualified. It's always better imo if presidents have had military experience--it just seems natural. But keep in mind that Abraham Lincoln and FDR--two of the nation's most respected wartime leaders ever--had no military experience, so that's not really an issue with me. However, it is one of McCain's strengths...

As I said, it started me thinking, is anyone ever truly qualified for the office of the President? If you consider all that is expected of the President, the decisions he or she must make, the policies they must push, the interaction they must have with people they may not like, how can one prepare for the job? Considering the unexpected crises, both domestic and foreign, they may be confronted with, how does one prepare? The job is essentially a 24/7/365 position for a minimum of four years. Even when they go on "vacation" they're not really on vacation. They are the face of our nation, anything that goes wrong is their fault, the pressure must be immense.

Hag says that he believes military experience is a plus, and I understand that sentiment on a certain level. Those who have served and seek the office tend to have had experience leading men, giving orders, and dealing with adverse situations. Yet I wonder, during peacetime does that really matter?

Sure, the mere fact that a candidate/President has served honorably should garner him or her some extra respect points, and respect for the man or woman in the office is important, but is military experience really that important?

It seems to me that the best training for the job comes from being Vice President.

I almost feel as holding the job is how one becomes qualified.

So I ask you:

Can a person ever, truly be qualified to hold the office of the President of the United States?

manu1959
06-06-2008, 10:32 PM
the posisition of president most closely resembles the ceo of a corporation.....

who do you want as your boss......

ranger
06-06-2008, 10:34 PM
You want someone who's actually run something. It's not a coincidence that the best Presidents have actually lead things. Teddy Roosevelt lead numerous organizations before becoming president. Reagan was governor of California.

hjmick
06-06-2008, 10:34 PM
And yet so few who run have experience in that arena. Most are career politicians.

gabosaurus
06-06-2008, 11:38 PM
What exactly are the ideal qualifications to be President? Different men have come from different backgrounds.
Perhaps it is time for a president who is not a career politician. Someone who has not dedicated their life to "playing the game."
At the present, public distrust of politicians (at all levels) is at an all-time low. No one trusts the so-called "Washington Elite."

The only true arbiter of who is qualified are the people of the United States. Presidential candidates are the most highly scrutinized men in the world.

Whoever is elected, Bush or McCain, will certainly be more qualified and better able to handle the job than what we have now. The last eight years has been a total disgrace.

manu1959
06-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Whoever is elected, Bush or McCain, will certainly be more qualified and better able to handle the job than what we have now. The last eight years has been a total disgrace.

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

stephanie
06-06-2008, 11:58 PM
:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

I saw that..she must be secretly wishing President Bush would run for a third term..:coffee:

diuretic
06-07-2008, 04:23 AM
It's a good question. I haven't got an answer but I have a response.

At least now you get to choose your leader. How was it back when monarchs ruled? You got the kid, didn't matter if he or she was a complete dumbarse, you got the kid!

Of course we know that elections don't always give the best person but I suppose headhunting the president of the US isn't on either. Can you imagine the ad in the paper though?

"Vacancy - President of the United States. Please download a position description. Only US-born individuals may apply."

Jeez you'd like to be running the firm with that gig!

midcan5
06-07-2008, 07:03 AM
When Bush ran it was said he was the first business major to be elected and it should have been a good thing for the nation and especially the economy. No need to comment further on that.

Having worked in corporate America all my life and worked in many positions up the food chain, there are people who are natural leaders, who seem to have an ability to make good decisions, or to pick the best option and still treat people in a fair, equitable way. But they are rare. McCain's soul selling bothers me, Obama ran an excellent campaign, big plus.

Will Americans "...be inspired by a man who was raised by a single mother on food stamps. Or one born into privilege who secured his congressional seat by divorcing his disabled wife and marrying a beer heiress." Toby Harnden

Gaffer
06-07-2008, 08:30 AM
A good president pick the right people to run the offices of his administration. He does it by chosing from among his friends, family and associates. Those who helped him get elected are rewarded with cushy government positions. Whether they are qualified for them or not. These people in turn appoint their staff. Again from friends, relatives and associates who helped get their man elected. whether qualified or not.Now, they each pick staff. This goes on until you reach the level of the permanent washington bureaucrat. This is where the actual work is done. These are the people that implement the polices. They stay in their job for 20 or 30 years and cannot be fired.

Each new department created by the president gets this same pyramid set up. The elite do nothing friends at the top and the bureaucrats at the lower levels.

Whoever the president is, he's going to create his cabinet and departments from his supporters who raised money for him. It will have nothing to do with experience or abilities. If your unsure about who you want, take a look at who's around him. Who his friends are. These are the future agency heads.

The president gives the final approval to what his people do. He doesn't make the plans or draft the laws. His people have people that do that. He just gets the credit or blame. After the election his "friends" will all be standing in line waiting for their rewards.

Silver
06-07-2008, 08:38 AM
When Bush ran it was said he was the first business major to be elected and it should have been a good thing for the nation and especially the economy. No need to comment further on that.

No need to comment further on that.?
No..Probably not...the economy has been been great for most of the Bush Admin...low unemployment and positive growth....except for a blip in the housing market caused by foolish lenders and even more foolish borrowers...

Now, right now, its the world oil prices that are having a negative effect on the entire nation..a problem of our own making by not doing anything in the past 30 years to become energy independent....

Having worked in corporate America all my life and worked in many positions up the food chain, there are people who are natural leaders, who seem to have an ability to make good decisions, or to pick the best option and still treat people in a fair, equitable way. But they are rare. McCain's soul selling bothers me, Obama ran an excellent campaign, big plus.

Will Americans "...be inspired by a man who was raised by a single mother on food stamps. Or one born into privilege who secured his congressional seat by divorcing his disabled wife and marrying a beer heiress." Toby Harnden

That last line is a joke right....its too too stupid to considered serious..

theHawk
06-07-2008, 09:01 AM
What exactly are the ideal qualifications to be President? Different men have come from different backgrounds.
Perhaps it is time for a president who is not a career politician. Someone who has not dedicated their life to "playing the game."
At the present, public distrust of politicians (at all levels) is at an all-time low. No one trusts the so-called "Washington Elite."
Thats all Obama is...a career politician. He hasn't run anything as a leader. He hasn't done a damned thing outside government. And even then, his accomplishments in government are abysmal and disgraceful. All this smuck has done is hob-knob with the liberal elite to make himself a political career - asswipes like Ayers, Rezko, and Rev. Wright.

Bottom line is he was drug user and loser who couldn't get a job doing anything else, so he took a career in politics to tell the rest of us how we should live our lives.

diuretic
06-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Thats all Obama is...a career politician. He hasn't run anything as a leader. He hasn't done a damned thing outside government. And even then, his accomplishments in government are abysmal and disgraceful. All this smuck has done is hob-knob with the liberal elite to make himself a political career - asswipes like Ayers, Rezko, and Rev. Wright.

Bottom line is he was drug user and loser who couldn't get a job doing anything else, so he took a career in politics to tell the rest of us how we should live our lives.

So, don't vote for him.

midcan5
06-08-2008, 07:23 AM
Now, right now, its the world oil prices that are having a negative effect on the entire nation..a problem of our own making by not doing anything in the past 30 years to become energy independent....

And you would grant Carter the same pass?

http://www.amazon.com/Bad-Money-Reckless-Politics-Capitalism/dp/0670019070/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212927712&sr=1-1