PDA

View Full Version : Windoze Tricks and Tips

glockmail
06-07-2008, 08:27 AM
It would be nice to have a thread where people could share time-saving tips dealing with Windows and MS software problems. Not major stuff, but those little annoyances that slow you down for no reason. If I add up all the little seconds/ please wait/ need to restart bullshit, then send a bill to Bill Gates at the end of the year, I might have a nice bit of extra income.

For example:

1. In Word 2003, every time I start the program, I get a stupid “getting started” frame on the right side. I never use the thing. How to I stop it from starting up this way?
2. Word and Excel (both 2003) have “shortened” menus that show a few functions last used, sometimes only one, and then make you hover over an arrow at the bottom for a few seconds before it shows you the rest. How do make the entire menu drop down as default?
3. Word 2003 again- this one peeves me to no end. When I “paste” some text from some other location (such as a web page), I never) want anything other than unformatted text inserted. And I really mean never. So instead of a quick <ctrl>v, I have to go to paste special/ unformatted text. Is there a way to set this as default?

namvet
06-07-2008, 10:35 AM
It would be nice to have a thread where people could share time-saving tips dealing with Windows and MS software problems. Not major stuff, but those little annoyances that slow you down for no reason. If I add up all the little seconds/ please wait/ need to restart bullshit, then send a bill to Bill Gates at the end of the year, I might have a nice bit of extra income.

For example:

1. In Word 2003, every time I start the program, I get a stupid “getting started” frame on the right side. I never use the thing. How to I stop it from starting up this way?
2. Word and Excel (both 2003) have “shortened” menus that show a few functions last used, sometimes only one, and then make you hover over an arrow at the bottom for a few seconds before it shows you the rest. How do make the entire menu drop down as default?
3. Word 2003 again- this one peeves me to no end. When I “paste” some text from some other location (such as a web page), I never) want anything other than unformatted text inserted. And I really mean never. So instead of a quick <ctrl>v, I have to go to paste special/ unformatted text. Is there a way to set this as default?

microsoft is FUBAR

5stringJeff
06-07-2008, 10:49 AM

For example:

I've got Office 2007 now, so I've forgotten a lot of stuff from Office 2003, but this may help.

1. Next time Word starts up, you should see a box in the getting started frame that says not to show the frame. It also may be in the dropdown menu for that startup frame.
2. There is an option under Tools: Options, that allows you to turn off "smart menus."
3. Don't know about this.

namvet
06-07-2008, 11:07 AM
I've got Office 2007 now, so I've forgotten a lot of stuff from Office 2003, but this may help.

1. Next time Word starts up, you should see a box in the getting started frame that says not to show the frame. It also may be in the dropdown menu for that startup frame.
2. There is an option under Tools: Options, that allows you to turn off "smart menus."

ill bet office 2007 set you back some big $$$$ ?????

5stringJeff
06-07-2008, 11:19 AM
ill bet office 2007 set you back some big $$$$ ?????

$20 - government rate.

glockmail
06-07-2008, 02:54 PM

1. Found it in tools/ options/ view
2. Didn't find it in tools/ options/ view

manu1959
06-07-2008, 03:05 PM

For example:

i would upgrade......or right click on the menu bar and check the ones you want or customize menus

glockmail
06-07-2008, 03:20 PM
i would upgrade......or right click on the menu bar and check the ones you want or customize menus
2. Just found it by right clicking on th eright side of the menue bar and customizing.

I had Word '98 for years, and for some dumb reason upgraded to Office 2003. Oh yeah- I needed Acess to open up a large database that I haven't used since. 98 was pretty good, but this update sucks.

Quickbooks updates are the worst. The program gets consistently worse every time.

manu1959
06-07-2008, 03:23 PM
2. Just found it by right clicking on th eright side of the menue bar and customizing.

I had Word '98 for years, and for some dumb reason upgraded to Office 2003. Oh yeah- I needed Acess to open up a large database that I haven't used since. 98 was pretty good, but this update sucks.

Quickbooks updates are the worst. The program gets consistently worse every time.

i have office 2007 xp ....works great..

5stringJeff
06-07-2008, 06:27 PM
i have office 2007 xp ....works great..

Me too. It took about two weeks to get used to, but now I prefer it.

Noir
06-13-2008, 07:27 PM

This one seems the trickiest, but i've done some looking and it seems you can create your own marco for unformated text.

Overview: This timesaving trick will make it easier to leave unwanted formatting behind.
When you need to paste text into a document without bringing its formatting along, Word's Show Paste Options feature may suit you. Unfortunately, it's a little cumbersome to use, and earlier versions of Word don't include it. The Paste Special command offers another approach, but it, too, is less than efficient.
This graphical walk-through describes a speedy alternative: Just write a one-line macro that automatically pastes text without formatting. Then, create a keyboard shortcut or button to make the pasting process instantaneous.
http://downloads.techrepublic.com.com/abstract.aspx?docid=173380

I warn you that free registration is required to get the program line which i know you may not want to do, but it seems there is no inbuilt unformatted paste option. Hope it helps.

Trinity
06-13-2008, 08:23 PM
$20 - government rate.

You suck! I got a student discount and still paid $135.00 for mine. You do have office professional 2007 though right?

glockmail
06-13-2008, 08:40 PM
This one seems the trickiest, but i've done some looking and it seems you can create your own marco for unformated text.

http://downloads.techrepublic.com.com/abstract.aspx?docid=173380

I warn you that free registration is required to get the program line which i know you may not want to do, but it seems there is no inbuilt unformatted paste option. Hope it helps.

I appreciate this help, but I tried doing macros prevously and each time it was a disaster.
I'd try this one if I didn't have to register (i get enough junk email now). If you're already a member, be a buddy and paste the macro here.

Noir
06-13-2008, 08:42 PM
I've got a spam mail account so i'll reg and get it, two ticks.

Noir
06-13-2008, 08:57 PM
1. Choose Tools | Macro | Macros. Type a name (e.g., NoFormatPaste) in the Macro Name text box and click Create to open the VB editor. Enter Selection.PasteSpecial DataType:=wdPasteText, as shown in the figure, and choose File | Close And Return To Microsoft Word.

2. To create a shortcut to run the macro, choose Tools | Customize, click the Commands tab, and click Keyboards. Choose Macros from the bottom of the Categories list and select the macro from the Commands list box. Enter the desired combo in the Press New Shortcut Key text box. (Check the Currently Assigned To field to make sure the shortcut's not already in use.) Click Close (twice).

3. To create a button to run the macro, choose Tools | Customize and click the Commands tab. Choose Macros from the Categories list, select the macro from the Commands list, and drag it to the toolbar where you want the button to appear.

4. To shorten the name, right-click on the macro to display a shortcut menu. You can then edit the name in the Name text box. Click Close in the Customize dialog box. Your toolbar will now include the new button.

glockmail
06-13-2008, 09:07 PM
I've got a spam mail account so i'll reg and get it, two ticks.
I actually got this to work.

YOU'RE A FUCKNG GENIUS!!!! :clap::clap:

And here's your reward, not just one but two:

http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/yay2.gif http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/yay2.gif

Noir
06-13-2008, 09:10 PM
Aw shucks, you're gona make me blush now :p
No worries dude.

glockmail
06-13-2008, 09:13 PM
Aw shucks, you're gona make me blush now :p
No worries dude.
Sorry, 1/2 the young women in North Carolina look like that, so I guess I'm used to it.

Noir
06-13-2008, 09:18 PM
lucky you, over here in the UK we are more use to women like this:
http://xmb.stuffucanuse.com/xmb/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=4468&pid=14098

glockmail
06-13-2008, 09:25 PM
lucky you, over here in the UK we are more use to women like this:
http://xmb.stuffucanuse.com/xmb/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=4468&pid=14098

I've met a few Brits in my day and they do tend to be a rough looking bunch. Nice as can be though.

My Granny was a Brit, off the boat in the 1910's and she was a hottie in her day though- as well as a hell raiser. Gramps used to tell me the story how he pulled her out of a bar one afternoon and had to fight off a guy much bigger than he who was eyeing her.

5stringJeff
06-14-2008, 10:48 AM
You suck! I got a student discount and still paid $135.00 for mine. You do have office professional 2007 though right?

I don't know the name of the package. It's got MS Access, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint, and Word.

Trinity
06-14-2008, 06:40 PM
I don't know the name of the package. It's got MS Access, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint, and Word.

Mine has all of those and it also has accounting and office publisher too.