PDA

View Full Version : And you thought American parents were bad?

hjmick
06-07-2008, 11:02 AM
In this day, where every kid gets a ribbon or trophy, where Little League teams no longer keep score, where there are no losers, no winners, when it seems the overriding concern is not to damage a child's ever so delicate self esteem, it seems as though Japanese parents have taken it to a whole new level...

Japan's 'monster' parents take centre stage
Leo Lewis in Tokyo

The stage was set, the lights went down and in a suburban Japanese primary school everyone prepared to enjoy a performance of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. The only snag was that the entire cast was playing the part of Snow White.

For the audience of menacing mothers and feisty fathers, though, the sight of 25 Snow Whites, no dwarfs and no wicked witch was a triumph: a clear victory for Japan's emerging new class of “Monster Parents”.

For they had taken on the system and won. After a relentless campaign of bullying, hectoring and nuisance phone calls, the monster parents had cowed the teachers into submission, forcing the school to admit to the injustice of selecting just one girl to play the title role.

Across Japan teachers are reporting an astonishing change in the character of parents, who, after decades of respectful silence, have become a super-aggressive army of complainers...

Where previously schools were trusted and respected, they are now the targets of concerted activism. Dozens of educators have been forced to resign in the face of the blazing fury of parents who no longer tolerate anything that appears to disadvantage their offspring.

In a new book on the phenomenon, Yoshihiko Morotomi, of Meiji University, lists hundreds of incidents that illustrate it. There are parents who have secretly placed recording devices in their children's classrooms, and others who have demanded that the results of sports events be changed to reflect expectations rather than the reality on the field.

In one case the mother of a child who was injured in the playground demanded that the child who accidentally caused the injury be suspended from school for as long as it took her son to recuperate - so that he would not benefit from the lessons her boy was missing...

Complete story... (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article4083278.ece)

What ever happened to "life lessons" and "building character?" There is no reason that losing or not getting the lead role in the school play can't be used to build self esteem or be used to encourage a child to try harder and improve. How many generations of whiny, spoiled, self indulgent, children to adults with a feeling of entitlement are going to be raised before some one stands up and says, "ENOUGH! Sit down, shut up, and deal with it!"?

manu1959
06-07-2008, 11:50 AM
these poor children.....can you imagine their first day at work.....

dread
06-07-2008, 03:58 PM
In this day, where every kid gets a ribbon or trophy, where Little League teams no longer keep score, where there are no losers, no winners, when it seems the overriding concern is not to damage a child's ever so delicate self esteem, it seems as though Japanese parents have taken it to a whole new level...

What ever happened to "life lessons" and "building character?" There is no reason that losing or not getting the lead role in the school play can't be used to build self esteem or be used to encourage a child to try harder and improve. How many generations of whiny, spoiled, self indulgent, children to adults with a feeling of entitlement are going to be raised before some one stands up and says, "ENOUGH! Sit down, shut up, and deal with it!"?

This kind of crap is why I WONT ever be a soccer coach again.

Trigg
06-07-2008, 05:07 PM
That must have been one boring play :laugh2:

Mr. P
06-07-2008, 06:08 PM
I wanna see the next Little League game where everyone is a pitcher. :laugh2:

Kathianne
06-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Well sounds like Japanese tests scores will soon rival ours. Good luck with that.

diuretic
06-07-2008, 10:01 PM
I'm not a parent so I could be talking crap (that's not an invitation to a free kick by the way :laugh2:) but it seems to me that what I see all around me are parents who treat their children like little gods. That's not healthy. It breeds brats.

As I said, I could be wr....wr.....wroooo....mistaken (I have self-esteem problems :laugh2:).

Noir
06-08-2008, 07:19 AM
This is crazy, I'm just trying to imagine how the play went.

"As I said, I could be wr....wr.....wroooo....mistaken (I have self-esteem problems)"
:laugh2: