PDA

View Full Version : From where does marriage originate?

Yurt
06-07-2008, 11:51 PM
well, where? the dmv? arabia? texas?

crin63
06-08-2008, 12:26 AM
well, where? the dmv? arabia? texas?

I'm thinking the garden of Eden when God gave Eve to Adam.

gabosaurus
06-08-2008, 12:58 AM
The Garden of Eden proves that men were snakes in the grass right from the beginning. :laugh2:

diuretic
06-08-2008, 04:17 AM
At a guess I'd say the first place that began to recognise private property rights.

Roman Law had a lot to say about marriage but I would think the concept of marriage as a legal principle goes back well before the Roman republic.

glockmail
06-08-2008, 09:45 AM
We don't know when it began but we sure as hell know when its going to end: real soon with the homosexual agenda.

Noir
06-08-2008, 09:52 AM
The Garden of Eden proves that men were snakes in the grass right from the beginning. :laugh2:

It was the woman wot gave the apple to Adam, hence it shows that women were manipulative wrenches from the beginning ;)

glockmail
06-08-2008, 09:54 AM
It was the woman wot gave the apple to Adam, hence it shows that women were manipulative wrenches from the beginning ;) Not to mention that the snake had nothing to do with male or female. But how dare we interject facts in a discussion with Gabs!

gabosaurus
06-08-2008, 11:27 AM
There are some who will attest that marriage originated from the lowest depths of hell.
The late Sam Kinison once said "If God is all benevolent, how did he come up with the concept of marriage? I believe it was to show us what hell is like, before we die." :p

Not to mention that the snake had nothing to do with male or female. But how dare we interject facts in a discussion with Gabs!

The snake tempted both of them. Men have been snakes ever since.

Noir
06-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Did not the snake tempt Eve? then Eve tempted Adam?...i really should have listened more during RE classes

glockmail
06-08-2008, 01:37 PM
The snake tempted both of them. Men have been snakes ever since. You logic, if you could call it that, escapes me, per usual.

midcan5
06-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Marriage began when a bunch of cave women said I've had enough of dopey there making me lie with him, cooking his food, and then when a new cave girl comes along, tossing me out of his warm cave. Gloria Cavegirl got a contract posted on the web and the rest is history dear men.

http://www.stephaniecoontz.com/books/marriage/

5stringJeff
06-08-2008, 05:13 PM
The snake tempted both of them. Men have been snakes ever since.

Did not the snake tempt Eve? then Eve tempted Adam?...i really should have listened more during RE classes

Noir, you are correct. The serpent tempted Eve, who ate the forbidden fruit, and she took it to Adam.

gabosaurus
06-08-2008, 10:43 PM
The serpent tempted Eve, who ate the forbidden fruit, and she took it to Adam.

Men have been using their serpent to tempt women ever since.
But the serpent gets no love until men eat the forbidden fruit.

Dilloduck
06-08-2008, 10:45 PM

Did Confucious say that or are you eating shrooms again ? :laugh2:

gabosaurus
06-08-2008, 10:47 PM
If that wasn't in the Bible, it should have been. :)

Hagbard Celine
06-08-2008, 10:55 PM

I've got a snake for you right here :dance:

gabosaurus
06-08-2008, 11:01 PM
I've got a snake for you right here

Last time I saw a worm like that, it was on the end of a fishing line. :p

Yurt
06-09-2008, 12:09 AM

ah, but a bad serpent gets spanked

actsnoblemartin
06-09-2008, 01:10 AM
ah, but a bad serpent gets spanked

:lol: :laugh2: :laugh: :lmao:

DragonStryk72
06-09-2008, 02:36 AM
Marriage has been a part of every culture in the world, for as far back as we've had history. I mean, even african bush tribes have marriage ceremonies, the native americans, Chinese, all of them had no access to each other, but all have had marriage for as long as they've known.

Marriage however has taken on different forms, at points being monogamous or polygamous, and once more, we are in a time where marriage is being redefined, this time along multiple lines: responisibilities of married couples (i.e. working mothers/stay at home dads), the dissolution of marriage, and even whether gays can get married or not.

While everyone cries how marriage is failing, I do not think that is the case. If anything, we are gaining a clearer picture of just whats makes marriage work, and which marriages need to end for the good of all involved. 100 years ago even, divorce was scandalous, and reserved only for clear cases of adultery, and it could not only ruin that relationship, but it could cost you your standing in the community, public office, and even your livelihood or your business dealings. I see this as an improvement in most ways, since an abused spouse is not nearly as likely to stay in the marriage as they would have been even just 50 years ago.

Yes, there are also bad things going on with marriage now, stemming mainly from people making rash decisions about who they want to be married to. This isn't a simple fix kind of thing, but the fact is, marriage will find its own balance. It's survived 10,000 years plus of human history, and honestly, it isn't going anywhere any time soon, because as long as you swear your love to another for all your lives together, then marriage still exists.