PDA

View Full Version : Republicans Stealing from Republicans

Joe Steel
06-08-2008, 06:25 AM
I don't know if I should laugh or laugh harder.

The former treasurer of a key Republican campaign committee embezzled more than $500,000 over a five-year period, using it to fund mortgage payments and a six-figure remodeling of his Bethesda home, according to court documents filed yesterday.

The papers were filed by federal prosecutors in an attempt to force the former treasurer, Christopher J. Ward, to forfeit his home to the government.

The government alleges that Ward, who had worked for National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC) since the 1990s, made numerous unauthorized diversions of funds from its accounts and joint accounts set up with Senate Republicans. He often shifted money into his personal account just as payments for his mortgage or home remodeling were due, according to the court filing.

Former NRCC Treasurer Embezzled $500,000, Court Papers Say (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/06/AR2008060603827.html?hpid=moreheadlines)

midcan5
06-08-2008, 06:48 AM
Morality is always for others, especially in the republican church. I read an interesting quote in an essay by Wendell Berry today, ""people in general: "they'll never be worth a damn as long as they've got two choices."" Words to ponder this glorious Sunday morning.

"The fact that man knows right from wrong proves his intellectual superiority to other creatures; but the fact that he can do wrong proves his moral inferiority to any creature that cannot." Mark Twain

Obama 2008

06-08-2008, 08:12 AM
cause no Democrat has ever done anything wrong. The main difference beween Republican and Democrat wrongdoing is when Republicans do something wrong with get rid of them. When Democrats do something wrong they get better committee seats.

Joe Steel
06-08-2008, 08:32 AM
cause no Democrat has ever done anything wrong. The main difference beween Republican and Democrat wrongdoing is when Republicans do something wrong with get rid of them. When Democrats do something wrong they get better committee seats.

Your extreme partisanship has gotten the better of you.

Republicans never prosecute their own until they're an embarrassment or, as in this case, Republicans also are the victims.

Justice is not a conservative value.

Silver
06-08-2008, 10:04 PM
That reminds me....

Many Americans are wondering when will the US Justice Department get around to prosecuting US Congressman William J. Jefferson for the alleged corruption he's perpetrated while in office.

Jefferson, a Democrat from Louisiana, was indicted last year by a federal grand jury on charges including bribery and racketeering for allegedly using his office to corruptly solicit bribes and for paying bribes to a foreign official

He continues to get paid and enjoy the perks of office....

diuretic
06-09-2008, 03:53 AM
What gets me about these people is that they commit a series of frauds and they leave a paper trail and probably wonder why they get put in front of a court. I think some people (and I'm not referring to their politics) get in positions of political influence and think they're immune. I know in my country I have a pretty low opinion of politicians because so many of them think they're above what the rest of us view as limits on behaviour. Robert Michels was right, politics is all about oligarchy.

Joe Steel
06-09-2008, 06:57 AM
What gets me about these people is that they commit a series of frauds and they leave a paper trail and probably wonder why they get put in front of a court. I think some people (and I'm not referring to their politics) get in positions of political influence and think they're immune. I know in my country I have a pretty low opinion of politicians because so many of them think they're above what the rest of us view as limits on behaviour. Robert Michels was right, politics is all about oligarchy.

I've never been able to understand their apparent sense of comfort. They're in postions of some attention. How can they think no one will notice?

Nukeman
06-09-2008, 07:16 AM
I've never been able to understand their apparent sense of comfort. They're in postions of some attention. How can they think no one will notice?Easy they are ELITEST!! Plain and simple be them republican or democrat they are all better than you and I, dont you know that:laugh2:. Hell their shit doesn't even stink any more do to how wonderful they are. So they take a little money now and then, but look at the good they do for the little man.... we would be soooo lost without the guidance of these "great" people so they feel justified in taking money for the care they do for us....

diuretic
06-09-2008, 08:55 AM
That pretty much sums it up, they think they're above the law, that's the thing us ordinary little people try and abide by.

Abbey Marie
06-09-2008, 11:45 AM
IMO, members of Congress have a lot more in common with each other, regardless of party affiliation, than they do with "we the (powerless) people".

hjmick
06-09-2008, 11:48 AM
He was simply redistributing the wealth. You should be able to identify with that, Joe. :poke: LOL

diuretic
06-09-2008, 05:18 PM
IMO, members of Congress have a lot more in common with each other, regardless of party affiliation, than they do with "we the (powerless) people".

Same here. I've seen them up close and personal as the saying goes. They get elected and for a while they're ordinary folks, a bit in awe at their new status as Members of Parliament. But after they get used to the perks (I won't list them but they're sickening - yes as a matter of fact I AM envious! :laugh2:) they start to perceive themselves as being apart from the ordinary folks. I don't advocate an adversarial relationships between parties outside of the chamber but the cosiness of the members of the club is a bit suspect. And you only have to see a newly dumped ex-MP and the trauma they feel at being ejected from the club to see how separate from ordinary people they become.

Abbey Marie
06-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Same here. I've seen them up close and personal as the saying goes. They get elected and for a while they're ordinary folks, a bit in awe at their new status as Members of Parliament. But after they get used to the perks (I won't list them but they're sickening - yes as a matter of fact I AM envious! :laugh2:) they start to perceive themselves as being apart from the ordinary folks. I don't advocate an adversarial relationships between parties outside of the chamber but the cosiness of the members of the club is a bit suspect. And you only have to see a newly dumped ex-MP and the trauma they feel at being ejected from the club to see how separate from ordinary people they become.

Yup, they're like deer in the headlights. Or actors! After all the special treatment and perks, they simply cannot imagine having to get a "real job". So they panic. :laugh2:

diuretic
06-10-2008, 12:21 AM
Yup, they're like deer in the headlights. Or actors! After all the special treatment and perks, they simply cannot imagine having to get a "real job". So they panic. :laugh2:

Good point. If I may take the liberty of using an example from our federal parliament. The previous government was tossed out on its ear. Two former senior ministers spat the dummy and told everyone who would listen that they would soon quit because they would be inundated with offers from the private sector.

That was in November 2007. It's now June 2008. Said two former senior ministers are still sitting in the parliament, bludging their arses off, still in a shitful mood and still without an offer from the private sector :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
06-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Good point. If I may take the liberty of using an example from our federal parliament. The previous government was tossed out on its ear. Two former senior ministers spat the dummy and told everyone who would listen that they would soon quit because they would be inundated with offers from the private sector.

That was in November 2007. It's now June 2008. Said two former senior ministers are still sitting in the parliament, bludging their arses off, still in a shitful mood and still without an offer from the private sector :laugh2:

Great example. :laugh2: