PDA

View Full Version : 6 Ways You're Wasting Gas

actsnoblemartin
06-08-2008, 05:02 PM
http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/579/6-ways-youre-wasting-gas;_ylc=X3oDMTE3YjFtdXFhBF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwL XRvZGF5BHNsawN3YXN0aW5nLWdhcw--

It's not easy to break bad driving habits, but if you don't, the money you lose on gas could wind up breaking your bank.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- With all the worry over fuel prices, you'd think drivers would do whatever they can not to waste gas. But look around and you'll see lots of them tooling around as if they owned their own tanker fleet. One of them might be you.

Here are six ways drivers typically waste gas on every trip:

namvet
06-08-2008, 05:52 PM
a good way to save is retire. like me !!!! we only have 1 car going to work now. I bought a 4X4 back in 95. and really needed it for long drive to work. but since im now a professional dead beat I only use here around town. :cool:

glockmail
06-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Additional methods:

1. Don't use your brakes. Obviously you need to use them to stop and avoid the guy in front of you but let off the gas way ahead of a red light, sharp turns, off ramps etc can save a lot. In a non-hybrid, the brake takes kinetic enegy and converts it heat that you'll never get back.

2. Slow down uphill to keep the rpms low. When I climb hills in my SUV I slow down to keep them below 2500 if possible. I've noticed a big difference.

3. Accellerate on the dowhills. A light touch on the gas can get you up to speed much more quickly and with no downshifting to a gas-wasting higher rpm.

4. Shop online. Calculate how much it cost you for a quick trip to whatever store and a lot of time you're better off paying for shipping from across the country.