PDA

View Full Version : Report: Maryland Textbooks on Christian Teachings Dumbed Down

MtnBiker
06-08-2008, 07:07 PM
A textbook monitoring group said that Maryland middle and high school students will be required to read about Christian teachings that have been dumbed down and are products of political correctness.

According to the New York Examiner, a new report issued by the American Textbook Council said that administrators who approved books for use in the Montgomery County school district caved into pressure by pro-Christian groups seeking to present a less violent interpretation of Christianity.

Link (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,364362,00.html)

Whoa, required reading about religion??

dread
06-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Link (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,364362,00.html)

Whoa, required reading about religion??

I am soooo glad we moved out of Maryland. Montgomery county was where my teens went to high school. Bunch of liberal bottom feeders out there.

5stringJeff
06-09-2008, 06:38 AM
Required reading about religious history should be part of any basic history course.

midcan5
06-09-2008, 07:43 AM
Do we demonize a religion because of a few quacks? Consider our own wackos.

Hagbard Celine
06-09-2008, 08:08 AM
When something like religion is as an important foundational building block of society and culture as it is, it only makes sense to have required readings over the subject--esp. in history classes. However, changing historical facts to reflect modern-day political opinions is something that should be avoided at all costs. It seems as though these parents who are raising a fuss are trying to make a political statement with all this hootinanny.

5stringJeff
06-09-2008, 07:00 PM
The real irony, for those who haven't followed the link, is that the story is about whitewashing the history of Islam, not Christianity.

Hagbard Celine
06-09-2008, 10:44 PM
The real irony, for those who haven't followed the link, is that the story is about whitewashing the history of Islam, not Christianity.

Hence my all-encompassing, non-specific post about "religion" and not "Christianity" or "Islam." We've reached a point in cultural evolution where people need to drop whole partisanship for the sake of partisanship act and do what's right and logical instead.

My Winter Storm
06-09-2008, 11:22 PM
Religion should not be taught in schools. End of story.

Psychoblues
06-11-2008, 12:07 AM
Yes, required but dumbed, as you say, down for the benefit of whom?