PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to Vista?

5stringJeff
03-05-2007, 02:59 PM
Here's a flowchart to determine whether you need to upgrade to Microsoft Vista right away.

http://blogs.pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/dumb-terminal/vistaupgrade.jpg

glockmail
03-05-2007, 03:11 PM
My experience with upgrades in general is that they are usually worse than the earlier versions. This is most obvious in Intuit products like Quicken and Quickbooks.

My experience with OS upgrades is that they generally require twice the computing power and hard disk storage to operate. NEVER do an OS upgrade to an old machine.

My experience with Windoze upgrades in particular is that earlier versions claim to have the ability to do something but really don't in the practical sense, so if there is something in XP that is promised, does not deliver, and you have to have it, then by all means upgrade and the feature may actually work this time (but no promises here).

Secndly about Windoze upgrades is that the software providers are usually 6-12 months behind on getting their stuff to work on the new OS. So if you upgrade early you will end up as an unwilling, unpaid Beta tester on software. Regardless of what you do, you will be required to shell out big bucks for upgrades on all your software eventually.

And finally, here's my opinion about the industry in general and Bill Gates in particular: :pee:

KitchenKitten99
03-06-2007, 07:55 AM
i have a certificate to upgrade for free (i bought a new laptop last month), but I don't know if I will use it. So far I have heard it is unstable and has crashed many systems. My brother-in-law is a network admin for 3 companies (owned by the same guy) and he told me to hold off, because he hasn't been impressed and has seen many people have issues.

glockmail
03-06-2007, 08:43 AM
I went to XP 6 months after they released it and was still getting major automatic upgrades until a few months ago. If Detroit built cars like that 1/2 of us would be dead and Ralph Nader would be all over it.

Sitarro
03-06-2007, 10:08 AM
I'm pretty excited about upgrading to Leopard next month. I went from Panther to Tiger without even a hiccup so I doubt there will be any problems with Leopard. The new features that I have seen previewed here, http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/ are pretty incredible. I know....you guys don't want to hear it...sorry, I just love my experience with Apple products.

I do have a friend that didn't follow my advice and bought a Toshiba with Vista.......it is hard to believe that anyone would want to put up with the bullshit that is involved just to open something. The dialogue boxes asking for permission, what is that crap. He also gets upgrades that he has to download he claims, everyday. While he is uploading, which takes forever, his computer is basically worthless. The constant security issues is another thing that is amazing to me. If my computer use experience was like that I wouldn't use one.

glockmail
03-06-2007, 10:20 AM
I used to use a Mac- its a great OS, no doubt. But I had to switch to Windoze because of the software I need for work.

You know, the Irish got screwed in the 1800s because they all planted the same kind of potato. Its only a matter of time before all the Windoze machines freeze up and put the world economy on a complete melt down.

Back 10 years ago they were saying in 5 years they were going to do a generic OS platform to run all computers the same. Looks like Bill Gates figgered there was nothing in that for him. :fu: