stephanie
06-09-2008, 10:39 PM
I predicted this would happen

By DAN JOLING
Associated Press Writer
Related Content
Center for Biological Diversity
Pacific Environment

ANCHORAGE, Alaska --Two conservation groups plan to sue to protect polar bears from petroleum exploration and drilling off Alaska's coast.

The Center for Biological Diversity and Pacific Environment gave the federal government formal notice Monday that they will sue under the Endangered Species Act to protect the bears, which were listed as threatened last month by Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne.

Polar bears are threatened - likely to become endangered - because their sea ice habitat has melted dramatically and computer models predict further losses, Kempthorne said. Polar bears use sea ice for mating, denning and hunting.

Kempthorne said the best scientific judgments did not conclude that polar bears were threatened by oil and gas development.

The conservation groups do not agree.

read the rest.
http://www.charlotte.com/nation/story/661938.html

gabosaurus
06-09-2008, 11:54 PM

That is because you are an authority on being drilled by polar bears. :p

stephanie
06-09-2008, 11:56 PM
That is because you are an authority on being drilled by polar bears. :p

you my dear..:slap:

hjmick
06-10-2008, 12:25 AM

Stephanie, I like you. Well, I like what I know of you through your posts and our interactions here on the board. We share many of the same opinions. I respect you.

That being said, Corky Thacher could have predicted this lawsuit.

While I don't relish the thought of any species of animal becoming extinct, I am sometimes amused that these environmentalists choose to ignore the fact that, over the course of history, more animals have vanished from the face of this planet than currently exist.

No, I am not advocating the rampant exploitation of the earth's resources at the expense of it's inhabitants. What I am saying is, the nature of life dictates that, from time to time, some species die off while others arise.