PDA

View Full Version : UK Church Awakening?

Kathianne
06-10-2008, 07:35 AM
They've been making noise for nearly 6 months, the following has links, but I like the last line:

http://pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/archives2/020282.php

THE CHURCH OF ENGLAND SEEMS TO BE GETTING A BIT TESTY:

The British government's "deep religious illiteracy" is failing society as it discriminates against Christian churches and favors other faiths, including Islam, the Church of England fires off in its strongest attack on the government in decades.

I never thought I'd see the day. More here:

The Archbishop of Canterbury has demanded that the Government sit up and take notice of the Church of England, after a report disclosed how Christianity is being ignored at the expense of Islam.

Dr Rowan Williams said the landmark study painted a "depressing" picture of how the state misunderstands the important contribution played by the clergy and churchgoers to the economy and society.

The report, commissioned by the Church but written by academics from the Von Hügel Institute at Cambridge University, found that central and local government just pay "lip service" to Christians but "focus intently" on Muslims because of the threat of extremism.

What does it take to rouse Rowan Williams in defense of Christianity? But as for the "threat of extremism," the Church of England's founder, Henry VIII, understood the relationship between threats of violence and successful establishment of religion. As do many of today's Muslims.
posted at 08:22 AM by Glenn Reynolds

diuretic
06-10-2008, 07:38 AM
The state religion of the UK is getting cranky :laugh2:

Kathianne
06-10-2008, 07:40 AM
The state religion of the UK is getting cranky :laugh2:

Or is the canary coming back to life? :coffee:

diuretic
06-10-2008, 08:03 AM
Or is the canary coming back to life? :coffee:

That's not a canary....that's a dead parrot! :laugh2:

Kathianne
06-10-2008, 08:06 AM

I think there may have been a mistaken diagnosis on either bird.

AFbombloader
06-10-2008, 09:07 AM

Great Monty Python reference!

Kathianne
06-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Great Monty Python reference!

Yep and I missed that. Damn.

hjmick
06-10-2008, 09:17 AM
Yep and I missed that. Damn.

I hope you don't call yourself a fan. :poke: :coffee:

Kathianne
06-10-2008, 09:21 AM
I hope you don't call yourself a fan. :poke: :coffee:

Oh I enjoy Monty Python, I just don't seem to have the recall of lines. I'm always impressed with those that can quote "The Godfather" or "Casablanca" too. ;) Needless to say, I look up chapter and verse in the Bible, never was into memorization. :laugh2: