PDA

View Full Version : As A Parent What Would You Endure?

crin63
06-10-2008, 01:04 PM
I have often wondered how much a parent or grandparent would be willing to endure in order to see their children and grandchildren have the opportunity for the freedoms and prosperity that this country offers.

Our Founding Fathers put it all on the line for their posterity.

Do you think that if those who were enslaved in this countries history could have looked forward and saw the opportunities for their posterity to be free and wealthier than they ever would've been in the jungles of Africa that they might have freely given themselves over to slavery? Do you think they would have been willing to pay that price?

I think its hard for us that are several generations deep in this country to really put ourselves in that position. But what do you think?

Kathianne
06-10-2008, 01:08 PM
I have often wondered how much a parent or grandparent would be willing to endure in order to see their children and grandchildren have the opportunity for the freedoms and prosperity that this country offers.

Our Founding Fathers put it all on the line for their posterity.

Do you think that if those who were enslaved in this countries history could have looked forward and saw the opportunities for their posterity to be free and wealthier than they ever would've been in the jungles of Africa that they might have freely given themselves over to slavery? Do you think they would have been willing to pay that price?

I think its hard for us that are several generations deep in this country to really put ourselves in that position. But what do you think?

Well I guess it's like asking us civilians to fathom the heroism of so many in the military, we haven't faced those decisions and stand in awe of them.

On the other hand, I know that I've basically spent what should have been my retirement funds to give my children the best opportunities I could. Many still do much more than that.

We've been fortunate.

gabosaurus
06-10-2008, 04:32 PM
I think it would be difficult for any of us to understand what our forefathers went through. They lived in a different time and had many more hardships.
The closest I can come is my maternal grandparents, who lived in Germany during World War II. During the latter years, there was no food to be had. My aunt described to me once how her mother (my grandmother) risked her life to steal food from a military garrison. Others dug up roots from the ground, or (worse) prostituted themselves in order to provide food.

After WWII ended, things did not get better. I have never been told this, but I am fairly sure that my grandfather falsified documents and paid off a few people to get his family out of Germany. Also, it took a lot of money to get to the U.S. after the war, and I know my grandparents were fairly destitute, so who knows where it came from.

Psychoblues
06-18-2008, 01:36 AM
I think the proper question is what "could" you endure? That question is answered daily as grandmothers and grandfathers accept the realities of their granchildren. The Good Lord knows I've had to step up to the plate in that regard!!!!!!!!!!! How's your batting average?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?

crin63
06-18-2008, 08:31 AM
I think the proper question is what "could" you endure? That question is answered daily as grandmothers and grandfathers accept the realities of their granchildren. The Good Lord knows I've had to step up to the plate in that regard!!!!!!!!!!! How's your batting average?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?

I think that is a good question. I'm not a grandparent yet, thank God.

I got custody of my boys when they were 6 & 3. I didn't leave them behind. Not that it was a sacrifice, its just background info. Both are in college now. I gave their mom everything we owned except their stuff, my clothes, tools & guns and the oldest car we had so she would quit fighting for the boys.

I worked 23 years of Industrial construction, with a pretty battered body the last 6 years and moderate back pain the 10 years prior to that. I averaged 2400 hours a year the last 14 years without missing a Sunday at church since 1996 except a couple times due to illness. I went through 3 industrial injuries and 2 auto accidents but kept working up until the surgeries.

I took 2-3 weeks off a year. 1 week was to direct the kids at my churches summer camp. The other 1 or 2 weeks I went with my kids school as a sponsor when they were competing in academics, athletics, arts & crafts and music.

I don't know how you quantify that or determine batting average but thats a quick rundown. I did whatever was necessary for my family and to the best of my ability what I thought was right.

Psychoblues
06-20-2008, 05:31 PM
I could write you a few books on the subject but you'd prbably get bored after the first paragraph or two, crin63.

I think that is a good question. I'm not a grandparent yet, thank God.

I got custody of my boys when they were 6 & 3. I didn't leave them behind. Not that it was a sacrifice, its just background info. Both are in college now. I gave their mom everything we owned except their stuff, my clothes, tools & guns and the oldest car we had so she would quit fighting for the boys.

I worked 23 years of Industrial construction, with a pretty battered body the last 6 years and moderate back pain the 10 years prior to that. I averaged 2400 hours a year the last 14 years without missing a Sunday at church since 1996 except a couple times due to illness. I went through 3 industrial injuries and 2 auto accidents but kept working up until the surgeries.

I took 2-3 weeks off a year. 1 week was to direct the kids at my churches summer camp. The other 1 or 2 weeks I went with my kids school as a sponsor when they were competing in academics, athletics, arts & crafts and music.

I don't know how you quantify that or determine batting average but thats a quick rundown. I did whatever was necessary for my family and to the best of my ability what I thought was right.

The batting average is how you handle the adversities without resorting to self martyrdom or checking yourself into a mental institution, I guess. The kids deserve all the teaching and understanding you can give them. Nothing more but more importantly nothing less.