PDA

View Full Version : Senate Republicans block winfall profits tax on oil companies

Little-Acorn
06-10-2008, 03:57 PM
Looks like the Democrats will once again fail to cut our noses off to spite our faces.

Had the tax hike on oil companies passed, oil companies would have simply passed the costs on to their customers (you and me), thus raising the price of gasoline even higher. Oil companies don't have money trees. Where else did the Democrats expect them to get the extra money to pay for this new tax?

OTOH, if Democrats actually want oil prices to go DOWN as they claim, they could cut, say, the peresent Federal tax of $0.18/gallon on gasoline. Then the amount we pay for gas would go down.. along with the amount we pay for foodstuffs transported by truck or train, furniture made with power tools, anything containing vinyl plastic (made from petroleum), and lots of other things whose prices have been going up.

How about it, Dems? Do you actually want to HELP?

----------------------------------------

http://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/Republicans_Tax_oil/2008/06/10/103266.html

Republicans Block Extra Taxes on Oil Companies

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 12:55 PM

WASHINGTON - Senate Republicans blocked a proposal Tuesday to tax the windfall profits of the largest oil companies, despite pleas by Democratic leaders to use the measure to address America's anger over $4 a gallon gasoline.

The Democratic energy package would have imposed a tax on any "unreasonable" profits of the five largest U.S. oil companies and given the federal government more power to address oil market speculation that the bill's supporters argue has added to the crude oil price surge.

"Americans are furious about what's going on," declared Sen. Byron Dorgan, D-N.D., and want Congress to do something about oil company profits and "an orgy of speculation" on oil markets.

But Republicans argued the Democratic proposal focusing on new oil industry taxes is not the answer to the country's energy problems.

"The American people are clamoring for relief at the pump," said Sen. Pete Domenici, R-N.M., but if taxes are increased on the oil companies "they will get exactly what they don't want. The bill will raise taxes, increase imports."

The Democrats failed, 51-43, to get the 60 votes needed to overcome a GOP filibuster and bring the energy package up for consideration.

hjmick
06-10-2008, 04:30 PM
The Democratic energy package would have imposed a tax on any "unreasonable" profits of the five largest U.S. oil companies and given the federal government more power to address oil market speculation that the bill's supporters argue has added to the crude oil price surge.

And just who determines what constitutes "unreasonable" profits? Why stop with the oil companies? How about electronics companies? Their markup is crazy. Milk? What are we paying for a gallon of milk? Stealing a companies profits and redistributing the wealth doesn't strike me as very American.

"Americans are furious about what's going on," declared Sen. Byron Dorgan, D-N.D., and want Congress to do something about oil company profits and "an orgy of speculation" on oil markets.

I'm not pissed at the oil companies, I'm pissed at the speculators who are driving up the price per barrel. Hell, even the Saudis say the price is outrageous. If they think the world is paying too much you know something is out of whack.

06-10-2008, 06:21 PM
good. I cant afford a windfall profits tax

KitchenKitten99
06-10-2008, 07:37 PM
good. I cant afford a windfall profits tax

Neither can we. Just paid $70 to fill our Caddy's tank today. OUCH!!!

hjmick
06-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Actually, I'm probably more pissed off at the half assed job our Congress does. A little less down time and a little more overtime, please. I get five weeks vacation a year, I can accrue ten. Works just fine for me, should work just fine for them. I certainly think their standard of living wouldn't suffer too much if they all took a pay cut. They all talk about "being in touch with the common folk," a pay cut will put them a little closer. And enough with the perks. There's no reason the taxpayers need to pay for Lincoln Town Cars and Navigators for the fat asses to get around town. Get them all a Corolla, they're cheaper and use less gas, which we pay for as well. And they can quit wasting time trying to pass bills they know from the word "go" have no hope in hell of succeeding just for the sake of looking good to their constituants and having something to point to come time for re-election.

gabosaurus
06-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Neither can we. Just paid $70 to fill our Caddy's tank today. OUCH!!!

Your Caddy must have a really small gas tank for a large car.

My Cavalier holds about 12 gallons. I get about 350 miles for a tank of gas.

I love how the Bush apologists get righteously indignant at gas prices. Until confronted with the Bushies and their Congressional lackeys coddling Big Oil.

manu1959
06-10-2008, 11:02 PM
Your Caddy must have a really small gas tank for a large car.

My Cavalier holds about 12 gallons. I get about 350 miles for a tank of gas.

I love how the Bush apologists get righteously indignant at gas prices. Until confronted with the Bushies and their Congressional lackeys coddling Big Oil.

i have no problem paying the same gas prices as sweden and france.....

manu1959
06-10-2008, 11:03 PM
Actually, I'm probably more pissed off at the half assed job our Congress does. A little less down time and a little more overtime, please. I get five weeks vacation a year, I can accrue ten. Works just fine for me, should work just fine for them. I certainly think their standard of living wouldn't suffer too much if they all took a pay cut. They all talk about "being in touch with the common folk," a pay cut will put them a little closer. And enough with the perks. There's no reason the taxpayers need to pay for Lincoln Town Cars and Navigators for the fat asses to get around town. Get them all a Corolla, they're cheaper and use less gas, which we pay for as well. And they can quit wasting time trying to pass bills they know from the word "go" have no hope in hell of succeeding just for the sake of looking good to their constituants and having something to point to come time for re-election.

2 weeks vacation per year.....smart cars...no perdiem......and the same wage as the average american worker.....

hjmick
06-10-2008, 11:22 PM

By "Congressional lackeys" one can only assume that you mean the Democrats, the ones who swore they would stand up to Bush, end the war, lower gas prices, and save the planet. As for "coddling Big Oil," lets not forget that your messiah, Obama, has accepted more than $213,000 from individuals who work for companies in the oil and gas industry and their spouses and two of Obama's bundlers are top executives at oil companies and are listed on his Web site as raising between $50,000 and $100,000 for your innocent and oh so pure saviour.

And, just for the record, I am not the least bit indignant about the price of gas.

Psychoblues
06-11-2008, 05:28 AM
No shit, sherlock!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hjmick
06-11-2008, 09:51 AM
No shit, sherlock!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not quite sure how to take this. Hell, I'm not even sure it was directed at me. Any more editorial to go with your commentary Psycho?