PDA

View Full Version : why are we wasting time, money, and lives

actsnoblemartin
06-11-2008, 12:29 AM
fighting a 20th century conventional war against 21st century Guerrillas, who are, i know this is not popular to say but: are highly intelligent, I mean... car bombs, homicide bombers, i.e.d.

we should be begging the Israelis for advice,

sometimes when you fuck something up so bad, you gotta have the balls to say screw it, and walk away.

And maybe in the future, start over the right way

you cant build a house on a terrible foundation, and keep building, when the builders say demolish and start over

crin63
06-11-2008, 12:41 AM
fighting a 20th century conventional war against 21st century gorillas

Maybe because the zoo needs more room. LOL!

Its, "Guerrillas".

actsnoblemartin
06-11-2008, 12:43 AM
thanks my friend :cheers2:

I love the zoo and i changed it thanks again :)

Maybe because the zoo needs more room. LOL!

Its, "Guerrillas".

namvet
06-11-2008, 09:38 AM
fighting a 20th century conventional war against 21st century Guerrillas, who are, i know this is not popular to say but: are highly intelligent, I mean... car bombs, homicide bombers, i.e.d.

sometimes when you fuck something up so bad, you gotta have the balls to say screw it, and walk away.

you cant build a house on a terrible foundation, and keep building, when the builders say demolish and start over

car bombs, homicide bombers, i.e.d.

how much intelligence or imagination does this require???? its an act of desperation. if all else fails. a last ditch effort. jez

Yurt
06-11-2008, 10:46 AM
explain exactly why you think we are fighting these terrorist with 20th century thinking/tech? from what i see, iraq/afghanistan has shown some incredibly modern tech, drones, ability to find IED's....

actsnoblemartin
06-11-2008, 12:32 PM
eh its just a thought.

I havent made up my mind yet on either one.

Ill be riding that fence for a long time to come

and its not really up to me anyway, its up to general patreus

how much intelligence or imagination does this require???? its an act of desperation. if all else fails. a last ditch effort. jez

actsnoblemartin
06-11-2008, 12:34 PM
the drones are a great idea, but i dont like the huge amount of ground troops against guerillas.

this isnt my final position, its just a thought :laugh2:

explain exactly why you think we are fighting these terrorist with 20th century thinking/tech? from what i see, iraq/afghanistan has shown some incredibly modern tech, drones, ability to find IED's....

Gaffer
06-11-2008, 01:05 PM
Huge amounts of ground troops is what you use to overwhelm the enemy. High tech equipment, like drones and smart missiles find and kill the enemy. The enemy is not intelligent. They are canny and sly. They are evil. But smart and intelligent they are not or they wouldn't believe in their ideology.

The problem with the war is there are too many people sitting on the fence. Fence sitters are appeasers. You either believe in something or you don't.

namvet
06-11-2008, 01:10 PM
the drones are a great idea, but i dont like the huge amount of ground troops against guerillas.

consider this. some day there will be no troops. just robots. and fighter jocks???? a thing of the past. that's where its all headed.

hjmick
06-11-2008, 01:11 PM

Martin, I'm not sure you've ever had a "final" position on anything. :coffee: LOL

darin
06-11-2008, 01:19 PM

I have to say - what the heck to YOU know about modern warfare? What the heck makes you think we're using antiquated tactics? Here's what i think you did - you heard some political HACK on the TV use that '20th century tactics' bullshit and decided to use it online.

You have NO IDEA of the tactics the Army is using when coping with their enemy. You may have a cursory knowledge based on free open sources, but until you've been there, or been in, or are associated with the Army, don't pretend you know better than even a Private, much less the GENERAL officers and Senior Civilians who tell the army how to fight, okay?

You don't LIKE the "huge amounts of ground troops" being there eh? Newsflash, Zartan, they don't like being there either. But what number would make you comfortable? What processes would you use to determine an amount of troop strength you like?

:)

Monkeybone
06-11-2008, 01:21 PM
if we really wanted to just route them out and get over it, we should use WWII tactics. that'll take care of them. :laugh2:

hjmick
06-11-2008, 01:25 PM
if we really wanted to just route them out and get over it, we should use WWII tactics. that'll take care of them. :laugh2:

Would that WWII Dresden tactics or WWII Nagasaki tactics?

Monkeybone
06-11-2008, 01:41 PM
Dresden, we need to be able to get in there and drill for oil and radiation hangs around for a while for some reason.

hjmick
06-11-2008, 01:46 PM
Could you imagine the outrage if there was a bombing mission on the level of what we pulled over Dresden? Don't get me wrong, I get where you're coming from, I'm just saying...

Monkeybone
06-11-2008, 01:47 PM
yah i know. those damn hippies.

actsnoblemartin
06-11-2008, 02:28 PM
i was hoping special oops was all we would need

I have to say - what the heck to YOU know about modern warfare? What the heck makes you think we're using antiquated tactics? Here's what i think you did - you heard some political HACK on the TV use that '20th century tactics' bullshit and decided to use it online.

You have NO IDEA of the tactics the Army is using when coping with their enemy. You may have a cursory knowledge based on free open sources, but until you've been there, or been in, or are associated with the Army, don't pretend you know better than even a Private, much less the GENERAL officers and Senior Civilians who tell the army how to fight, okay?

You don't LIKE the "huge amounts of ground troops" being there eh? Newsflash, Zartan, they don't like being there either. But what number would make you comfortable? What processes would you use to determine an amount of troop strength you like?

:)

Gaffer
06-11-2008, 02:47 PM
Special Ops is called that for a reason. They do special operations. There are not that many of them. The very cost of training these teams makes it imperative they not be wasted on missions better served by using regular combat troops.

darin
06-11-2008, 02:55 PM
i was hoping special oops was all we would need

Just not realistic. SOF is needed and required - but so is the rest of the troops.

actsnoblemartin
06-11-2008, 03:03 PM
fine im an idiot. I wouldnt learn without saying stupid shit, learning from others and willing to be wrong

Just not realistic. SOF is needed and required - but so is the rest of the troops.

Gaffer
06-11-2008, 03:11 PM
fine im an idiot. I wouldnt learn without saying stupid shit, learning from others and willing to be wrong

At least your willing to admit when your wrong. That says a lot for you. But instead of saying stupid things just ask questions.

The only stupid question is the one you already know the answer too.

hjmick
06-11-2008, 03:20 PM

Now, first off, there's no need to call yourself an "idiot." As you well know, there are plenty of folks here willing to do that for you. Doing it yourself does nothing for your self-esteem. Secondly, not knowing is not the same as being an idiot. You learn by asking questions.

Perhaps, as Gaffer suggests, rather than starting with a statement or declaration, you would be better served by posing a question. You may find the responses will be more helpful.

At least your willing to admit when your wrong. That says a lot for you. But instead of saying stupid things just ask questions.

The only stupid question is the one you already know the answer too.

I always thought it was the question unasked. Now I can add yours to my list.

darin
06-11-2008, 03:29 PM
As an aside - somebody once said there may be no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

:D

OCA
06-11-2008, 04:12 PM
eh its just a thought.

I havent made up my mind yet on either one.

Ill be riding that fence for a long time to come

and its not really up to me anyway, its up to general patreus

Whenever cornered Ray is always riding the fence, hasn't made up his mind..........sickening really.

hjmick
06-11-2008, 04:20 PM
As an aside - somebody once said there may be no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

I like that, gonna have to try to remember it when it counts.

actsnoblemartin
06-11-2008, 04:50 PM

i like that :laugh2:

Psychoblues
06-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Give the idiots hell, Dynamo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!